Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Buttchocks posted:

My cube was initially in a pretty nice part of the office, with a huge window overlooking a park. I'm mostly remote now, but still have a designated cube, so I said they should switch me with someone who's in the office every day. So they moved me to a nicer cube with an even better view of the park. I'm not complaining, but it's just sitting empty most days. There's plenty of people working 5 days a week with no window who would appreciate it more than I do, but hey, I'm not an office manager what do I know.

i have a nice closed office, with a big window and a door and everything, that i haven't been to in 3 years. i dropped by the other day to pick up something and they were using it to store boxes of junk instead of just giving it to someone else. i'm the only person who refused to come back to the office, everybody else is in there all the time.

also i'm trying to hire someone right now and in interviews everyone is saying they want to go in the office. are they just lying to me because they think that's what I want to hear? it's really not. if I hire someone to work for me who goes in the office, my boss will use it as justification to force me back as well, which is absolutely not what I'm trying to do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"This text is my two weeks' notice. Good luck."

*Message not sent. Resend?*

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

tinytort posted:

Dumb things my work is doing: I marked myself as unavailable to work this Sunday, months ago. Despite this, I'm on the schedule for a 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Sunday. This is a problem, since I marked myself unavailable because I got tickets for Comicon, and Sunday - the last day - is 10 to 4.

I'm trying to get it fixed, but one coworker is off for a funeral and another is working the overnight shift that day. And I'm also scheduled for the 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Monday, so I can't really swap for the night shift on Sunday without having to get that next day reworked too.

When I first texted my manager about it, I got told to text my third coworker about it. He told me to ask the guy who's working overnight, because he's not sure he can do the shift that day. So I text my manager back, and get "requesting time off isn't a guarantee, if it's for something important ask or text me as well, I'll text the guy I told you to talk to".

“Hey manager, I’m sure you can manage the schedule. I’m not gonna be there.”

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

blatman posted:

i'm of the opinion that submitting notice that you're taking some time off is actually a statement that you're taking that time off, not a request

though this mindset could get u shitcanned

I agree, especially if that notice was given months ago

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

tinytort posted:

Dumb things my work is doing: I marked myself as unavailable to work this Sunday, months ago. Despite this, I'm on the schedule for a 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Sunday. This is a problem, since I marked myself unavailable because I got tickets for Comicon, and Sunday - the last day - is 10 to 4.

I'm trying to get it fixed, but one coworker is off for a funeral and another is working the overnight shift that day. And I'm also scheduled for the 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Monday, so I can't really swap for the night shift on Sunday without having to get that next day reworked too.

When I first texted my manager about it, I got told to text my third coworker about it. He told me to ask the guy who's working overnight, because he's not sure he can do the shift that day. So I text my manager back, and get "requesting time off isn't a guarantee, if it's for something important ask or text me as well, I'll text the guy I told you to talk to".

Did your boss know that's what you were taking time off for? I learned the hard way to never ever ever discuss what you're doing with time off, management has this weird fixation on requests being less valid if it's something leisure related. gently caress that rear end in a top hat manager. Honestly they need to figure coverage out, not you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

“Hey manager, I’m sure you can manage the schedule. I’m not gonna be there.”

Oh-ho-ho. That was my phone call from work yesterday. Very obviously on speaker phone, between the person who got brought in to unfuck things, my nominal manager, and myself.

"Heyyy. We were wondering when you were coming into work today."

"I'm not on the schedule. Tomorrow, the next day, and then off again."

-pregnant pause-

"What he's saying is he's not on the schedule."

"I can send you a screenshot of my schedule if you want."

"Naw, naw. You off. See you tomorrow!"

-click-

Open availability for the schedule does not mean you can call me whenever. Especially same day.

The hatchet-man (so to speak) and I had a couple conversations today about things are supposed to work. It's sounding good. We're on the same page while everyone else is floundering. Everyone else has gotten a write-up for all the dumb, lazy poo poo they've been able to get away with so far.

It ain't that hard, dammit. No one gets paid enough to work hard. Do poo poo correctly the first time, everytime, and you ain't got to.

I'll give it another week and see how this goes. Still out of here, ASAP.

Still, it makes me feel alright when regulars are coming in, saying the place looks better.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Quote is not edit.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I work in a factory. One would think that when an order goes out to the shop floor, we would make sure we have *everything* we need to run the job, right? There's a Bill of Materials that's required for every run of a part. You'd normally think that 'Oh, we're running this part, we should have all components necessary to finish the order'

Lololol

Nope. Ran out of the colorant for that part halfway through the production run.

Morons

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tinytort posted:

Sounds like your manager failed to do the one thing they are paid to do. Go to comiccon and then quit

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

tinytort posted:

I couldn't possibly manage to get to work that day. You'll just have to manage without me.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I'm positive this is a repost but I want to say that I still respect my ex-wife for her actions when she got fed up with her abusive boss at a previous job. She didn't put in her notice. She printed out a piece of paper that said "Effective immediately, I quit." and walked into her manager's office, slapped it on his desk, and walked out of the building.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

blatman posted:

i'm of the opinion that submitting notice that you're taking some time off is actually a statement that you're taking that time off, not a request

though this mindset could get u shitcanned

It's been fixed, coworker will be covering that shift for me. I'll get him something from the con as a thank you.

And agreed that "I'm not available for this day" is a statement, not a request. I shouldn't need to say why I'm not available.

Pyrtanis posted:

Did your boss know that's what you were taking time off for? I learned the hard way to never ever ever discuss what you're doing with time off, management has this weird fixation on requests being less valid if it's something leisure related. gently caress that rear end in a top hat manager. Honestly they need to figure coverage out, not you.

Nope! All I did was put in Dayforce that I'm not available for those days, I didn't say to anyone at work why.

She's usually really good about dealing with this sort of thing, she might just be annoyed because 1) she was off when I messaged her, and 2) I'd already needed a schedule rework for Thursday, so this is two changes very close together that I needed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat, she had to do two whole things in one week? You're lucky you're not in jail.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

tinytort posted:

Years ago when I was studying and didn't give a poo poo about my part-time jobs at the time, I had a funny conversation with a bar manager dude. Heavily paraphrased, because this was decades ago, but the essence was:
"So if I don't work in this time I booked off for a holiday, I'm fired?"
"Yes."
"And you can't get anyone else to cover my shifts?"
"No."
"So who the gently caress is going to cover my shifts if you fire me?"
"Shut the gently caress up."

Was a good holiday.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Back before we went perma remote, my cube was on a corner and had two open walls so that people didn’t run into each other. My desk faced the corner so anyone walking by could (and would) sideeye and snoop on what I was doing when they walked by. It kinda sucked.

Now I work from home so I basically have a private office and executive bathroom 👑

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This lovely job is actually kind of fun now. Still not quite for me, but witnessing the reverse train crash is amusing.

The district manager's hatchetman knows exactly what is wrong and why. Their solution? Just loving do it right. gently caress what you were trained to do, your training was wrong. Do it the right way, I swear it'll make your poo poo easier. And I quote: "They wanna do it their way? Ok. I'll tell you it's wrong and how to do it correctly. Wanna keep doing it your way? I will write you up after I ask the district manager if that's okay."

I've worked with this person a grand total of four days. Them (they?) and I are on the same page. The job pays poo poo, so why make it hard? Just do what you are supposed to do! Everything about the job has been picked apart by corporate, sliced up into easy to deal with little bits. It's fool-proof and proves the trope.

For example: We worked till close yesterday, with jack poo poo to do except make our jobs easier for today. They knew it, I knew it, we worked that poo poo and had the most boring day for half our shift. While smoking in the parking lot, our delivery dude shows up in his semi to ask where the back door is, how he should pull up the truck, and what time we'd need him there. That started a very quick conversation between him and us.

Trucker: "When do you want to start? I'm scheduled to be here at 0900."

Us: "Wanna get done early? We can be here whenever, as long as the sun is up."

"0830?"

"0800?"

"0730?"

"Done, see you then!"

Come around to the morning, I slam open the back door to be met by the happiest truck driver I ever seen.

Tiny little hatchetman, the driver, and I, knocked the whole truck out in less than an hour. Break-bulk, from the tail of the truck, onto rocking stock carts, in the door, and on the floor 30 min before we had to open.

We were even supposed to have help, in the form of the only other lowest level employee besides me. Dude showed up three hours late, without a uniform, and proceeded to do the least amount of work possible. Guy even asked to leave early. Fuckin'... yeah, I'll take those hours.

By least amount of work, I mean we did five times the work he did in half the hours. He had the audacity to tell me, "I'm going to take all the trash out for you now. You're crusing along and I don't want to get in your way." (read: smoke out back while doing so) Alright fella, there's a price to be paid. That price was moving the heaviest freight into the most awkward locations, because we were there doing everything and anything else.

I'm sorry I harp on about this.

For me, it's seeing how the other side lives, having previously been a vendor to the same type of businesses. I never had to deal with a store for more than two hours. While cognizant of the employee's struggles with their management and coworkers, there was always a shield there. They weren't my only stop, and they (usually) tried not to hinder me.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

A huge part of getting people to get poo poo done, is making it the path of least resistance.

Make it simple and easy for them to do the right thing, make it clear what the success conditions are, don't gently caress with them if they do it / while they're doing it.

It's incredibly simple, but apparently incredibly hard for managers to actually do. I think it's pressure to show that they're doing something by changing stuff?
On my own forays into management I just kept most of what already worked, fixed a couple of major problems, let it ride. Didn't give me much for my CV, or a raging erection of exercised authority, but it did work.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I worked at Walmart one year immediately after my undergrad to earn enough money to move out of my hometown. Sold cell phones and contracts in a little cell phone alcove, it sucked but whatever.

One time I put in my time off request cause I'd be at a music festival. Reminded this lovely tyrant boss about it monthly, so about 4 times.

Music festival week comes and I'm at my last shift before my vacation. Manager came up to me and was like "yeah I don't think we'll be able to sort out the schedule for you to have that full time off, we'll need you in a few days, I think we can find you three of your six days off" and I looked at her and just said "I put that request in 5 months ago. I'm taking the six days" She started to say something and I just shook my head, said "nope" walked past her out the room, clocked out of my shift since it was the end of the day, and left. :fuckoff:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Managers love making their failure to manage into their employees' problem for whatever reason. Had a software manager that delegated basically his entire job to everyone else. Planning? Prioritizing? Communication with higher ups? Nope just gunna delegate all that. It was worse than having no manager at all.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dr.Smasher posted:

I work in a factory. One would think that when an order goes out to the shop floor, we would make sure we have *everything* we need to run the job, right? There's a Bill of Materials that's required for every run of a part. You'd normally think that 'Oh, we're running this part, we should have all components necessary to finish the order'

Lololol

Nope. Ran out of the colorant for that part halfway through the production run.

Morons

There's a reorg coming for our production facilities that will have everything rolling up under a woman who has proposed the most MBA Brain idea I've ever heard. She calls it Modified JiT and the concept is that instead of having parts for assemblies/builds arrive at various times they would all just show up the day of the longest lead or tent pole component. What's the point of having materials you can't use for weeks? Insane. Just completely ignores our scrap rate and the fact we often pull parts forward or push them back based on a bunch of factors. We'll use components meant to be kitted for one build and send then reassign them based on customer needs. There's no way this would ever work, and we're already behind on so much stuff because our supply chain is delivering parts late and the scrap problem I mentioned. I don't think there's been much thought on how to make all this work, the buyer for every single part we assemble into final products would have to go and adjust dates to match the long lead part, not just in one big effort, but constantly depending on when the final part was tracking to arrive. It also completely ignores that we can do partial builds or put sub assemblies together without the longest lead part being available. We can send stuff out for outside processing or work on the components to get things ready for assembly.

Luckily, from what I've heard once the reorg happens she's not going to be in place very long and is instead going to be more of a transition manager, so probably won't be able to implement this idea.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

There's a reorg coming for our production facilities that will have everything rolling up under a woman who has proposed the most MBA Brain idea I've ever heard. She calls it Modified JiT and the concept is that instead of having parts for assemblies/builds arrive at various times they would all just show up the day of the longest lead or tent pole component. What's the point of having materials you can't use for weeks? Insane. Just completely ignores our scrap rate and the fact we often pull parts forward or push them back based on a bunch of factors. We'll use components meant to be kitted for one build and send then reassign them based on customer needs. There's no way this would ever work, and we're already behind on so much stuff because our supply chain is delivering parts late and the scrap problem I mentioned. I don't think there's been much thought on how to make all this work, the buyer for every single part we assemble into final products would have to go and adjust dates to match the long lead part, not just in one big effort, but constantly depending on when the final part was tracking to arrive. It also completely ignores that we can do partial builds or put sub assemblies together without the longest lead part being available. We can send stuff out for outside processing or work on the components to get things ready for assembly.

Luckily, from what I've heard once the reorg happens she's not going to be in place very long and is instead going to be more of a transition manager, so probably won't be able to implement this idea.

I fuckin love when people who have never seen how a job is done, much less ever done it, make decisions on the structure of said job. I take it this person also is so lost in their own MBA fart sauce that offering feedback is a lost cause?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

feedback is vital to the organization... As long as it's not directed at me. - MBA training

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My boss told me to sneak extra cost into a customer’s order. Okay, fine, you don’t want to stand up to this guy and tell him his maximum repair prices are too low, or negotiate a flat rate? I’m billing him for an acoustic encabulator. Will the poo poo hit the fan? Will the guy even notice? Either way, it’s not my rear end on the line, so it’ll be fun to see.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pyrtanis posted:

I fuckin love when people who have never seen how a job is done, much less ever done it, make decisions on the structure of said job.

Never go into the brewing industry.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RocketMermaid posted:

Never go into the brewing industry.

It's just beer how hard can it be.. just put a bunch of poo poo in a kettle and make it taste good. Plx make me an imperial peanutbutter chocccy milk stout and have it ready in 2 weeks as I promised the customer that's when you'd have it for they wedding.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 12, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Domus posted:

My boss told me to sneak extra cost into a customer’s order. Okay, fine, you don’t want to stand up to this guy and tell him his maximum repair prices are too low, or negotiate a flat rate? I’m billing him for an acoustic encabulator. Will the poo poo hit the fan? Will the guy even notice? Either way, it’s not my rear end on the line, so it’ll be fun to see.
Just make sure to get that in writing so it doesn't turn into "I don't know where Domus got the idea to scam a customer!"

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Yeah, rear end covered in several ways. I even came up with a part we use that could reasonably be named an acoustic encabulator. But I hate being told to sneak extra charges in. You want to commit fraud, you should have to do it yourself.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Talked to someone from HR today as part of a meeting about a promotion I applied for and they causally mentioned some things I know I never said outside of a "confidential" retention survey they ran a few years back.

On it's own, it wasn't anything damning or that would hurt me, but it's certainly bad that they took things I said about why people are leaving and slapped them into my file.

Also having to create a whole presentation for HR on why I deserve to be bumped up a title when they stop paying attention a minute in sucks. I want the raise, my boss wants me in the position so I am not doing work outside of my list of duties, management is okay with it, why do they need a whole dog and pony show to approve the raise? God I love working for state government.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Deki posted:

Talked to someone from HR today as part of a meeting about a promotion I applied for and they causally mentioned some things I know I never said outside of a "confidential" retention survey they ran a few years back.

lol, you trusted the government

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
So many conversations with my boomer coworker he tries to steer it towards talking about women. Yuck.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

withoutclass posted:

Managers love making their failure to manage into their employees' problem for whatever reason. Had a software manager that delegated basically his entire job to everyone else. Planning? Prioritizing? Communication with higher ups? Nope just gunna delegate all that. It was worse than having no manager at all.
loving same.

The only thing worse is when yours does take time to publicly rail against and berate people/the department at large for their complete abdication of responsibility.

What you're describing is a "worthless middle manager". You could remove them with no worse change in results.

What I've witnessed is a "destructive middle manager". Removing them immediately solves a good 70% of the problems.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Glassdoor reviews of Discord paint a less than flattering picture [Reddit link]

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Outrail posted:

lol, you trusted the government

Its not that bad of a job considering I am allergic to the idea of working more than 40 hours a week.

Pay is poo poo but I don't have to deal with the kind of office politics or unpaid overtime that my friends I went to college with have to

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

*Points at company name with Jim-face at the camera*

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Lazyfire posted:

Our parts delivery is loving chaos, but it's better than that, and I spent 3 hours yesterday waiting on a flow sensor I could see was in the building, I just couldn't get it myself.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Domus posted:

I’m billing him for an acoustic encabulator. Will the poo poo hit the fan? Will the guy even notice? Either way, it’s not my rear end on the line, so it’ll be fun to see.

poo poo Star Trek engineers say dot txt

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No the turbo encabulator is something made by
GE and then later went through miniaturization put into production by Chrysler in their transmissions
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

tater_salad posted:

GE and then later went through miniaturization put into production by Chrysler in their transmissions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQlF-dpU5lw

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

tater_salad posted:

Old news, we've entered the age of hyper-encabulation.

https://youtu.be/5nKk_-Lvhzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pyrtanis posted:

I fuckin love when people who have never seen how a job is done, much less ever done it, make decisions on the structure of said job. I take it this person also is so lost in their own MBA fart sauce that offering feedback is a lost cause?

I think my favorite thing about where I work, is that management has embraced the idea that the SME on how to do a job, is the person doing the job. I blew some contractor's minds a few times with that. Suggestions on the checklist they follow? Buddy, you're the expert, you've got edit on that document. Update it, tell people, use the new process. Done.

The guy who brought it up is an FTE now, and three of the other contractors are still with us two years after that project ended. Despite some notable flameouts, we ended up getting a lot of really good talent out of that project.