Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Herstory Begins Now posted:

question for lawyers in here: what qualifications exactly would you even need for a lawyer to be considered capable of taking on this case? that's got to be a pretty short list of people even capable of defending him?

Yup. As noted above you need a security clearance at a sufficient level to deal with the information, and there aren't all that many lawyers around with one of those, and a large fraction of them still work for the feds.

For the arraignment and procedural steps going on right now I fail to see why one of his normal lawyers can't just get admitted pro hac, but I never did much crim work, so it's not my area of expertise as to from what point you actually need the ringers around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Remember when twitter only showed you tweets from accounts you followed

good times

You can set it to default to the "Following" tab instead of the "For You" tab which is what I do. Only shows accounts you follow.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ryde posted:

LOL, this loving lawyer.

I've seen multiple lawyers who are loath to project *any* sense of certainty around the law call this a strong case. At least one has said its the strongest case they've seen in their career, bar none.

I mean the DOJ only brings charges when they’re very, very sure they’ll get a conviction. Probably add a dozen or so “very”s for bringing charges against a former President.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Not a cult. No sir.

Real smart move giving these guys like 4 days to prepare.

Also in a sane world the person giving the "order" would be immediately arrested.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

pthighs posted:

I think the simpler explanation is that an elected Republican, with a few specific exceptions (e.g. Romney), is ending their career if they come out against Trump.

Deseret News/Hinckley Institute of Politics poll: Romney is down 11 points from March, dropping from 52 percent favorable with Utah voters to 41 percent favorable

So even this specific exception may end up another example of the same.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Bah gawd, I think that's Rudy's music!

*Rudy comes barreling into the courtroom, slips on his own hair goo and breaks his neck.*

Rudy can not currently practice law. (LOL)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

In a sane legal world he'd have taken what was almost certainly the first advice he was given. Return the documents, let the legal team draft a bullshit mea culpa to the DOJ/whoever, and the whole thing is dropped and blows over, plus you still get to go on your bad twitter clone and claim it was all persecution and you did nothing wrong but just went along because you're so magnanimous and so on.

But he just had to keep digging that hole.

Yeah, none of these charges stem from the voluntarily returned documents.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

It will be interesting to see Cannon's reaction when one of these bigots goes full send at her over not understanding some very normal ordinary ruling.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Charliegrs posted:

Real smart move giving these guys like 4 days to prepare.

Also in a sane world the person giving the "order" would be immediately arrested.

You're afraid of the sniffly prune from dade county?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Question, do lawyers without security clearances get to view documents that require clearances? Like do the restrictions get waived or do they need to fill out the form and go through the process?

Today's lawfare episode is an interview with a former CIA lawyer and goes into detail on the rules and requirements for classified documents trials. I haven't listened yet though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was wrong earlier about how federal PDs handle arraignment delays for non-poor people without counsel.

https://twitter.com/crabgrass11/status/1668323742903304192?s=20

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Imagine being the poor public defender that gets this wet turd dropped in their lap?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Imagine being the poor public defender

No. I won't. I refuse.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Imagine being the poor public defender that gets this wet turd dropped in their lap?

Like their job isn't crappy enough.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
This seems to be a fairly good writeup of what Trump could potentially get if convicted on all counts , going by the federal sentencing guidelines
https://www.pwnallthethings.com/p/donald-trump-indictment-whats-in

Spoiler 17-20ish years. Half that for good behavior or less for compassionate release if his health turns for the worse

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Bet you he doesn't even live through seven

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Don't PD's usually handle multiple cases at once? Just lol if some poor bastard is dealing with some other low level idiots and got this dropped in their lap.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He'll get some chud who wants his name on the big stage, even if it's for "losing Trump's case", because Trump will demand the trial is fake and rigged anyway.

He's not going to land a PD in any universe.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Might be a sweet gig if they could get Trump to pay. Send out a single press release saying "My client maintains his innocence and looks forward to exonerating himself in court," then regular messages to Trump suggesting he take a plea deal. Bill $700 for each memo.

Squibbles posted:

This seems to be a fairly good writeup of what Trump could potentially get if convicted on all counts , going by the federal sentencing guidelines
https://www.pwnallthethings.com/p/donald-trump-indictment-whats-in

Spoiler 17-20ish years. Half that for good behavior or less for compassionate release if his health turns for the worse

I think the big insight from his post is that Document 19 is classified by the Department of Energy, not the Department of Defense. This is a big deal, because DoE documents are classified by statute, meaning even if in Trumps bizarre mind he mentally declassified all his documents, he never had the authority to declassify Document 19.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He'll get some chud who wants his name on the big stage, even if it's for "losing Trump's case", because Trump will demand the trial is fake and rigged anyway.

He's not going to land a PD in any universe.

Getting to do the Right Wing Media grift for the rest of your life for being Trump's Criminal Defense lawyer has got to have a few of the more incautious ones wondering if they can ride the tiger.

Since people are so bad a risk assessment I doubt if they realize the most likely result is ignominy after Trump fires them somewhere down the line and ridicules them with some absurd nickname.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tayter Swift posted:

Might be a sweet gig if they could get Trump to pay. Send out a single press release saying "My client maintains his innocence and looks forward to exonerating himself in court," then regular messages to Trump suggesting he take a plea deal. Bill $700 for each memo.

I think the big insight from his post is that Document 19 is classified by the Department of Energy, not the Department of Defense. This is a big deal, because DoE documents are classified by statute, meaning even if in Trumps bizarre mind he mentally declassified all his documents, he never had the authority to declassify Document 19.

He goes into more detail on document 19 in his previous post here https://www.pwnallthethings.com/p/donald-trump-indictment-whats-in

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Im sure the analysis is perfectly correct and so forth but it's fun getting my details on the trial of the century from pwn all the things dot website

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

projecthalaxy posted:

Im sure the analysis is perfectly correct and so forth but it's fun getting my details on the trial of the century from pwn all the things dot website

Yes, one of the more embarrassing usernames to have when you turn into a professional analyst

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Trump is charged with Willful retention of National Defense Information.

Classified docs are all NDI. But not all NDI is classified documents.

Thee status of the documents as classified or not is irrelevant for this charge. The content of the documents themselves are what makes it a crime.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Question, do lawyers without security clearances get to view documents that require clearances? Like do the restrictions get waived or do they need to fill out the form and go through the process?

The judge is exempt from the clearance requirement, but the lawyers aren't - the parties will follow the procedures laid out in the Classified Information Procedures Act. This DOJ manual on CIPA goes into some detail.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Okay let's see here, he wants the country to be based on the christian bible, no mention of which translation, but*:

Romans 1 posted:

They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Trump: Greed, deceit, gossip, slander, arrogant and boastful.

GOP: (Literally all of these things except murder).

So this Floridian is gonna drag T to the beach and stone him? Rather, unless T (and any Jan6-involved congresspeep) is immediately held imprisoned without bail, our country is not "biblical".

Annnd... Next inconsistent appeal to authority?

* (If you're not familiar with this text, this quote immediately follows the passage oft-cited against non-hetero sexuality.)

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Okay let's see here, he wants the country to be based on the christian bible, no mention of which translation, but*:

Trump: Greed, deceit, gossip, slander, arrogant and boastful.

GOP: (Literally all of these things except murder).

So this Floridian is gonna drag T to the beach and stone him? Rather, unless T (and any Jan6-involved congresspeep) is immediately held imprisoned without bail, our country is not "biblical".

Annnd... Next inconsistent appeal to authority?

* (If you're not familiar with this text, this quote immediately follows the passage oft-cited against non-hetero sexuality.)

Man, :umberto: would like a word with you about chuds and hypocrisy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe he meant he wants the US to suffer the same fate as Sodom and Gommorah?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think he just wants permission to hate people who make him uncomfortable and for a person in power to tell him all the scary things are bad and will go away, op.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Also they murdered people on Jan 6.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ryde posted:

LOL, this loving lawyer.

I've seen multiple lawyers who are loath to project *any* sense of certainty around the law call this a strong case. At least one has said its the strongest case they've seen in their career, bar none.

I’d bet a lot that anyone thinking it’s a weak case believes a president/former president can do whatever he wants with documents because they “belong to him”
And that’s the sole reason they think it’s weak

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Magistrate to preside over Trump’s arraignment, not controversial Judge Aileen Cannon

quote:

A magistrate judge will be presiding over the momentous Miami federal court hearing on Tuesday afternoon when former President Donald Trump makes his first appearance on charges of keeping classified documents at his Palm Beach estate and obstructing government efforts to reclaim them.

Magistrate Judge Jonathan Goodman — not U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon, who was randomly assigned Trump’s case — will be handling the former president’s arraignment and bond matters.

Cannon, who had been widely reported to be handling those duties, will still remain on the historic case as the lead judge.

Goodman is a well-regarded veteran magistrate who once worked as a newspaper reporter in South Florida and later obtained his law degree and practiced civil litigation, including as a partner with the Akerman law firm in Miami.

Goodman is known not only for his legal wisdom but also for his wry humor in the courtroom.

Should make for an entertaining afternoon. :munch:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's arraigning men (hallelujah)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That's.... something, at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bond denial would absolutely be in line with established precedent

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How do they determine which of the two judges on the case does what aspect of the whole ordeal?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tayter Swift posted:

It's arraigning men (hallelujah)
You've got something here; keep going.

Short fat bald loud, and with the hands of a Tiny Mouse!... it's arraigning men...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

You've got something here; keep going.

Short fat bald loud, and with the hands of a Tiny Mouse!... it's arraigning men...

The crime counts are rising (uh rising), legal team is getting low (how low girl?)
According to all sources (what sources now?), the court is the place to go (we better hurry up)
'Cause tomorrow for the first time (first time)
At Just about half past ten (half past ten)
For the first time, a president
Is gonna get an arraignment, man (start arraigning that man)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Has a federal trial ever been televised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Charliegrs posted:

Has a federal trial ever been televised?

Magistrate already denied a motion by various media orgs to have cameras in the room today, sorry op