Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Wheeee posted:

Itemization in this game feels kinda bad in general

They added too much class specific stuff and not enough generalized stuff.

Give me back FHR, FCR, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wheeee posted:

At first I was like, "oh cool they want combat to be really tactical and focus on applying statuses as opportunities for big damage!" but now I'm just like, "it's really easy to keep something perma-slow/vulnerable, gently caress me why does any Damage VS <other condition> exist at all" :(

I wish this game had Last Epoch's crafting system.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I am thoroughly enjoying this game, but drat it, playing as Barbarian against some bosses really loving sucks. The bosses that have AoE spells like Aidaiah or whatever her name is. I'm just trying to wail on her but she constantly spams the AoE spells, so I'm losing tonnes of health and there's zero point in dodging because she doesn't let up. Same with the Amalgam of Rage, it just spams the bite attack over and over and I get absolutely obliterated.

Am I stupid? Do I need to run around until they stop, because they don't appear to.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t think the legendary effects are bad necessarily but they are hilariously one-sided. The reason why literally 90% of Sorcs have all 4 defensive skills on their bars right now is because there are about a million ways to increase barrier damage through items and paragon and like 2 for any skill, and the skills are mostly bad. So your best option is to play piano keys with your defensives and passively increase damage while your enchantments do all the work. I doubt this is what Blizzard intended, if they had a vision for the Sorc at endgame at all.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Ive only played sorc, but the class seems so bare right now. Also, too many cooldowns, my god

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wheeee posted:

How so?

Astryl posted:

This owns. Now we need a list of stats that are useful for certain classes but more likely on others.

Curious how something like “damage while in human form” would affect the other classes. I kinda feel like it wouldn’t proc at all even though by definition it should.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Completed the campaign at level 42 necro without going out of the way to do any side quests, and completing a few aspect dungeons

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Î'm "only" 51 but I feel like my poison werewolf druid sucks still. Playing on Tier2 since the start and I'm killing stuff but nowhere near as fast as I would like to. Is Rogue dagger/melee only or have people made ranged work?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wheeee posted:

It reminds me of the itemization Blizzard tried in Battle for Azeroth. It's just too loving finicky and there are too many levers to adjust. I don't even know what a perfect roll would look like on any of my gear slots and not seeing that clear goal or target isn't fun. It isn't fun because I'll probably never have that "oh poo poo! It dropped! The one item I've been waiting for!" feeling that D2 and D3 had. Warhammer 40k Darktide has that problem: you're mulling over 100 items that all kinda suck. Sorcerer has a million different offensive damage modifiers and the choice paralysis slows down the core gameplay loop and isn't fun. D3 was almost the opposite side of the spectrum because itemization was too simplified and too arcade-y. I think they overcompensated in D4.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

The game has been out 6 days, part of the fun is figuring out what those great items are. Slow down and use your brain

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Also item choice doesn’t matter a ton until later in the game

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

FootballFreak2 posted:

Also item choice doesn’t matter a ton until later in the game

Item choice starts to matter around the time you should be transitioning to WT3 and feels worse by the time you get to WT4, that’s a problem tbh.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

I don’t think the legendary effects are bad necessarily but they are hilariously one-sided. The reason why literally 90% of Sorcs have all 4 defensive skills on their bars right now is because there are about a million ways to increase barrier damage through items and paragon and like 2 for any skill, and the skills are mostly bad. So your best option is to play piano keys with your defensives and passively increase damage while your enchantments do all the work. I doubt this is what Blizzard intended, if they had a vision for the Sorc at endgame at all.

ww barb is 4 shouts, ww and the shout (but not tagged as a shout rip bonuses) ult

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah honestly they should've leaned more into how resistance/fcr/fhr/ias worked in D2.

Breakpoints and caps are more interesting for gear because you're forced to mix and match pieces for optimal efficiency instead of 1 bucket for numbers for go up.

It would be so easy in this game too, just cap all the individual +% damage for X conditions at like 100% and up the % on each piece to like 50%.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
itemization is a good start* they just need more uniques/aspects and some tuning to make all the non-meta skills viable

The uniques especially are very cool and I like that they're not necessarily BiS compared to legendaries, but offer ... "unique" alterations compared to aspects which are generally just "bigger number"

e: *except for the resistance thing

acumen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 12, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

FrickenMoron posted:

Î'm "only" 51 but I feel like my poison werewolf druid sucks still. Playing on Tier2 since the start and I'm killing stuff but nowhere near as fast as I would like to. Is Rogue dagger/melee only or have people made ranged work?

I see wudijo, who was the first solo HC 100, running rapid fire on his current HC character. Whether that will work if playing vidya isn't your full-time job :shrug:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The uniques are cool, some are good most are junk, need more overpowered affixes on them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There are at least a few aspects that are tied to item level and/or world tier. I found this guy last night which I’ve never seen before.

But I agree they need just more aspects and uniques. Hope they do that with the seasonal content.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

FrickenMoron posted:

switch to t3 you'll get better loot

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fcr is aids and i'm glad they didn't include it. it is the best stat by so much that it makes the other stats seem terrible by comparison. instead we have cdr, which is the same thing
instead of fhr we have crowd control duration, which no one rolls because it doesnt make the damage # go up

what I want is the removal of flat damage reduction, make res + phys matter, and give me another affix or two on rares

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Feels like T3 and T4 are meaningful Tiers but T2 isn't. 55-68 is a weird spot where you want to be farming T4 despite it being pretty tough. Feels like T2 could have been used to make this smoother.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

mbt posted:

fcr is aids and i'm glad they didn't include it. it is the best stat by so much that it makes the other stats seem terrible by comparison. instead we have cdr, which is the same thing
instead of fhr we have crowd control duration, which no one rolls because it doesnt make the damage # go up

what I want is the removal of flat damage reduction, make res + phys matter, and give me another affix or two on rares

Great wrong opinion.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acumen posted:

itemization is a good start they just need more uniques/aspects and some tuning to make all the non-meta skills viable

The uniques especially are very cool and I like that they're not necessarily BiS compared to legendaries, but offer ... "unique" alterations compared to aspects which are generally just "bigger number"

This has been my take as someone still screwing around in the campaign. Obviously the item game changes a lot afterwords, and I'm not gonna even try to comment on that but I've been in a lot of situations already where items are competing for my attention, which is a good thing.

Basically the more they add the better it can potentially get.

I do agree with the comment above though that there are so loving many conditional affixes, and consequently it's a bit less clear what will end up a clear, rather than ambiguous upgrade. Obviously you want to lean as hard into whichever cc effect you're going for, but just as an example, my druid has access to stun, immobile, vulnerable, and knock back. So sure you can stack damage contingent on These things, but distinguishing between the merit of one over another for me eventually becomes whatever okay I inflict this effect here's my damage bye. A bit of transparency around damage and the comparative value of different effects definitely wouldn't hurt.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

acumen posted:

itemization is a good start* they just need more uniques/aspects and some tuning to make all the non-meta skills viable

e: *except for the resistance thing

yes they did a good job with uniques. at first i thought uniques would just be direct upgrades to legos and that most people would be wearing a bunch of uniques, but that is not the case at all.

for items they need to cut back on all the conditional affixes. give us more general affixes. that's all the itemization needs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

mbt posted:

Fcr is in the game, it's just called increased attack speed and it's broken af for certain builds and completely useless for others, so really kinda fcr was in D2.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BurningBeard posted:

I do agree with the comment above though that there are so loving many conditional affixes, and consequently it's a bit less clear what will end up a clear, rather than ambiguous upgrade. Obviously you want to lean as hard into whichever cc effect you're going for, but just as an example, my druid has access to stun, immobile, vulnerable, and knock back. So sure you can stack damage contingent on These things, but distinguishing between the merit of one over another for me eventually becomes whatever okay I inflict this effect here's my damage bye. A bit of transparency around damage and the comparative value of different effects definitely wouldn't hurt.
I was talking about this last night. It feels like other builds can really focus on one modifier and stack it to the moon (fortify/healthy/crit) and get really powerful, but for Druid it’s kinda muddled. Right now I have the option via skill point selections to immobilize, slow, vulnerable and poison enemies, but none of them in any meaningful percentage, meaning deciding which rolls to look for on gear is a lot more complicated.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The interesting thing about early WT3 to me is that I did the capstone at like 45, and WT3 doesn't start scaling until 53, so every level I get more powerful at this point (I'm 51 now). It's a weird change from the rest of the game where you slowly get less powerful every time you level up due to mob scaling.

I assume this happens again if you do the next capstone early as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah most of Torment is 73+.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Substandard posted:

The interesting thing about early WT3 to me is that I did the capstone at like 45, and WT3 doesn't start scaling until 53, so every level I get more powerful at this point (I'm 51 now). It's a weird change from the rest of the game where you slowly get less powerful every time you level up due to mob scaling.

Yeah. I did the 70 capstone to WT4 at like 63 and it was a major jump in difficulty.

Moving up in tiers is a good time to do remainder of the dungeons to help fill out your renown - since those are actually challenging.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whoever put out the tip to do Helltides in wt3 but open chests in wt4 is a genius (assuming it works).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

in a vacuum yes, but you should also be upgrading your equipment, paragons, etc. which will give you huge jumps. At 63 I finally found a well-rolled sacred 2h, redid my aspects, and my bone spears went from 30-40k per hit to 100-150k. Now I'm in wt4 and still keeping up/getting more powerful than mobs as I replace each sacred piece with ancestral.

This'll probably stop around 75-80ish when I've got an optimized, fully ancestral set though and mob scaling will take over, but I assume that's why it stops at 90 or whatever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly only one town needs to be not bad. Let the capital cities be big sprawling messes. Give me a hub in the middle of nowhere where all the good poo poo is 5 steps away.

Hell, make it a quest and let me rebuild the hidden lookout!

They like went halfway with the tree of whispers waypoint... just put everything there!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am level 56, I went from kind of plodding along in WT3 and then I got the Aspect of Trampled Earth.

Now I am literally a god. I dunno how fun this will stay lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SHISHKABOB posted:

They like went halfway with the tree of whispers waypoint... just put everything there!

At least put an occultist there. Why are they not there??

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even just putting an occultist at the tree would make it incredible.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am level 56, I went from kind of plodding along in WT3 and then I got the Aspect of Trampled Earth.

Now I am literally a god. I dunno how fun this will stay lol

Trample/Landslide stays good forever, I didn't like playing it, but it's strong. The other one to look for is aftershock that'll make your landslides cast twice, even the ones that proc from the trample, landslides for days.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Whoever put out the tip to do Helltides in wt3 but open chests in wt4 is a genius (assuming it works).

It worked for me a couple days ago. Test it out with just a couple cinders to be safe.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get more than 6 skils on the hotbar, like maybe a "modifier" that I hold down to get another 6 like you can in PoE?

I have to have Skeletons and Golems on the hotbar for them to exist so that already takes two slots, Blood Mist and Army of Dead are my two panic buttons, CE is my main damage and Reap makes a corpse to start things off... I have no space for any curses and I'm just hitting level 50 with never having used a Core Skill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a way to get more than 6 skils on the hotbar, like maybe a "modifier" that I hold down to get another 6 like you can in PoE?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Zero VGS posted:

I have to have Skeletons and Golems on the hotbar for them to exist so that already takes two slots, Blood Mist and Army of Dead are my two panic buttons, CE is my main damage and Reap makes a corpse to start things off... I have no space for any curses and I'm just hitting level 50 with never having used a Core Skill.

You are limited to 6 skills. It doesn't matter if you have points in another skill.