Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Khizan posted:

My guess would basically be the same thing, then: they think it looks cool. And, in their defense, you did think it looked neat enough to pay extra attention to it.

Yeah the whole 'don't wear sets' thing is weird because, sometimes sets look really good! Sets are as much of an outfit as anything else, dyed or undyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
When I'm playing through the MSQ, if the game gives me upgraded gear as part of story progression or dungeon drops, I make a point to wear them. I'll dye them to get them to match a little better, and I'll glam over it if I'm given something particularly ugly, but I find that to be part of the fun! It gets me more engaged with the journey and the feeling of character progression, I guess. Fancy glammed outfits are for level cap, or are at least for when you've hit the 50/60/70/80 points.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I got Ninja to 80 I used that tome gear un-glammed (aside from the head) because it looked alright

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

As soon as my GNB unlocked the 80 relic gear, that was his permanent look. The only thing that changed was the dyejob once I ran Memoria Misera enough times to get the dyeable version.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
It only really happened in ARR, but it was fun to see people around the NPC you're supposed to talk to, and they were dressed almost exactly the same as you because they were wearing quest reward equipment. Just kind of fun seeing people at (nearly) exactly the same spot in the story as I was.

This culminated in me leveling through the 50-60 CUL quests, finishing a cutscene and seeing someone dressed in the same equipment as I was. Paraphrasing:

Me: "yo, you on CUL 52 or 54?"
Them: "54"
Me: "Here, take my leftover ingredients and this extra food bit I crafted, you'll need them"
Them: "lol thanks, I'm training crafting to try to clear out my retainer inventories"
Me: "yeah but there's so much stuff left over when you're cooking!"
Them: "ikr"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, finally got my EX weapon on a farm. Next week once I've done my exams and gotten a normal raid acc and the tome armor I think I'll start trying for Anabaseios Savage. Are there any good guides for current PF strats? Specially since from what I saw Levinstrike is worse than both Shackles and Devour in complexity.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, finally got my EX weapon on a farm. Next week once I've done my exams and gotten a normal raid acc and the tome armor I think I'll start trying for Anabaseios Savage. Are there any good guides for current PF strats? Specially since from what I saw Levinstrike is worse than both Shackles and Devour in complexity.

Eh Levinstrike isn’t that bad, but NA PF is currently using two different strategies from what I’ve seen. The majority use JP and some others use Oppo. Though the big issue is people are just really bad and a single person failing can wipe the group.

Nothing in P9S is all that bad, but PF, or at least the people I’ve been unfortunate enough to group with, just can’t do simple mechanics. Every party is a Levinstrike trap party, except the ones that can’t even make it there. Can’t even trust people that already cleared the tier to not gently caress up because uptime is more important than not killing themselves or letting someone sit at half health before a raidwide goes out.

After doing P1S-P8S in a static, all I can ask is how the gently caress can people deal with PF?! I don’t want to even think about the number of times I’ve been killed because #6 or #8 ran to my tower as #2 or #4, fuckers you don’t take two towers.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hey, trying to set up healer dps macros that cast spells on my target's target if targeting my tank, or on my target if im doing solo content. is this socially acceptable or am i gonna get told off for using macros for this? if not, does anyone have any examples of how to set up those macros?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Don't think that anyone would really tell you off per se but I don't think what you're trying to do is really possible in the current macro system? There's no conditionals.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Combat macros are intentionally limited and finicky. To be perfectly honest, just bind Assist Target (or "target of target" or whatever) and use that to switch between the boss and the tank.

EDIT: To elaborate, the only combat macro I have is on my tanks, and it's to cast my short-term defensive cooldown on my co-tank (always position 2 since I'm the other tank). Do not put GCDs in macros, they won't work well.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 12, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I don't think you can do macros like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Roluth posted:

EDIT: To elaborate, the only combat macro I have is on my tanks, and it's to cast my short-term defensive cooldown on my co-tank (always position 2 since I'm the other tank). Do not put GCDs in macros, they won't work well.

If you want to do this on other jobs you can rearrange the roster in the O menu. My dragoon has a macro to cast eyes on slot 2, rather than dealing with focus target and how fight mechanics can mess that up.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There is the `<tt>` targeting option, so you could do something like this which will have that effect:

code:
/micon "Skillname"
/merror off
/ac "Skillname" <tt>
/ac "Skillname" <t>
The problem with using macros in combat is they don't queue actions well, and multi action macros can't deal with fractions of seconds in wait times. Because of that, you'll lose actions you could have cast over a fight compared to just hitting your buttons manually.

[Edit] In terms of this being socially acceptable: whatever. Maybe don't use a macro like this if you're doing extreme/savage content where every GCD counts, but if you're doing solo or normal content where having perfect efficientcy isn't required do whatever is most comfortable for you.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 12, 2023

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

hey, trying to set up healer dps macros that cast spells on my target's target if targeting my tank, or on my target if im doing solo content. is this socially acceptable or am i gonna get told off for using macros for this? if not, does anyone have any examples of how to set up those macros?

something like
code:
/merror off
/ac "Glare III" <tt>
/ac "Glare III" <t>
/micon "Glare III"
sort of works. If your target of target isn't an enemy, then the <tt> lines effectively get skipped. The problem is that the <t> line causes you to target the enemy anyway, even with all the auto-target settings off, so you would have to keep switching to targeting the tank anyways.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
ahh right, ok. i was hoping macros operated more like WoW's where you could do poo poo like that. i tried looking up a macro for astrologists using cards easier, but i couldn't find anything anything conclusive which makes playing it on console a pain in the rear end.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Zeruel posted:

ahh right, ok. i was hoping macros operated more like WoW's where you could do poo poo like that. i tried looking up a macro for astrologists using cards easier, but i couldn't find anything anything conclusive which makes playing it on console a pain in the rear end.

The neat thing about consoles/controller use in this game is there is a soft target you can use with your d-pad while you're targeting your primary target that lets you target anyone in your party for a single action. Target the enemy, use that to scroll through the party list when they need a heal, hit controller button combo.

I liked this so much I bound the same controls to my mouse forward/mouse back buttons so I could have the same kind of targeting on my keyboard + mouse setup.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 12, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zeruel posted:

They try to limit the power of macros to affect combat for the same reason they're against addons; they don't want it to become the "norm" that they then need to design around. Easier to draw the line at 0 instead of allowing some and dealing with players saying "but what about this one, it's practically the same thing."

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Related, I tried mouse over mods for a while but it's easier to adjust to ffxiv than try to import play styles from other games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont macro your gcds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgpUCgExvbA

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i don't think i will ever be at a level in which that matters

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it always matters

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Using Macros to do Mudras is the correct way, because whoever designed that system hates fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mudras are fine? I've never had that much of an issue with mudras.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mudras force you to memorize a number AND a color. It's like Mathbot (Extreme)!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I developed muscle memory for Mudras pretty quickly on controller. The secret is that the sequence doesn’t matter, it’s the number of different Mudras pressed + the one you end on. Ten-Chi-Jin and Chi-Ten-Jin both get you Suiton for example.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Always strive to be #2 in the list

(so you get splattered by a tankbuster when the OT dies)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah once i understood that the only thing that matter is the number and the last one you press, it made it much easier to do Mudras.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

of all the things to turn into a macro, how would one do it with mudras without making everything massively worse

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I don't think about the different ways to do Mudras because I think of burst windows as fighting game combos for the most part. I'm going to press my buttons in the order I practiced them and I'm going to hope I don't mess it up.

goblin week posted:

If you're convinced that you won't ever do any content where damage checks matter and you don't care about being a better player, then sure go for it! People have different motivations and desires and such. Personally, even when I had no intentions on doing Extreme+ content I was still looking up job optimization stuff because I wanted to play as close to the best I could even in easier content.

Also, people using macros for accessibility reasons are totally cool by me

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I don't know any of my skill names, I just know where they are on my bars and what button on my keyboard/mouse to press to make them happen.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HackensackBackpack posted:

I don't know any of my skill names, I just know where they are on my bars and what button on my keyboard/mouse to press to make them happen.

It sounds Greek, I know that much...

Maybe Latin? Idfk i push the button numbers go up

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I started up the game for the first time in months last night and oh god I'm so bad at things now. My muscle memory betrays me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a cartoon duck posted:

of all the things to turn into a macro, how would one do it with mudras without making everything massively worse

Sometimes you just want to replace 3 buttons with 6, because ninja has too much free hotbar space.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Good macros:
Dragon Sight mouseover
Making your weapon effects light up while still on your back / quick change/ other fashion options

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

it always matters

Yes.
Losing 2 GCDs to macro use is the same as standing around doing absolutely nothing for 5 seconds every minute.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

iPodschun posted:

I don't think about the different ways to do Mudras because I think of burst windows as fighting game combos for the most part. I'm going to press my buttons in the order I practiced them and I'm going to hope I don't mess it up.

If you're convinced that you won't ever do any content where damage checks matter and you don't care about being a better player, then sure go for it! People have different motivations and desires and such. Personally, even when I had no intentions on doing Extreme+ content I was still looking up job optimization stuff because I wanted to play as close to the best I could even in easier content.

Also, people using macros for accessibility reasons are totally cool by me

I mean, maybe someday... i still get yelled for stuff like forgetting where my provoke bind is while off-tanking so that's like, a whole different level for me. I feel like all the mechanics added after levels 60 or so are so much already, like I thought I was doing okay as a ninja and therein comes Ten Chi Jin and Meisui and where do i even weave that in.

Also mudras are great because they make a great "doink" sound when you put them in

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

All this talk reminds me that I need to play more DNC DNC Revolution.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I have a really obnoxious macro for each of my tanks for when I hit my invuln. My favorite is my paladin, with my staggered JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL and a bunch of random sfx.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just have a Swiftcast + Thin Air Macro ready next to Raise because I have that next to my Limit Break button and if that Macro snuffs I'm only out the MP for Thin Air which isn't a big deal.

Oh I also have Asylum macro'd to cast on Target because mouse targeting on pad is the absolute pits.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

goblin week posted:

savage and ultimate raids can often have brutal DPS checks. losing several casts of glare over the course of a messy clear attempt from macros could mean the difference between a .1% wipe and a clear