Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a way to get more than 6 skils on the hotbar, like maybe a "modifier" that I hold down to get another 6 like you can in PoE?

I have to have Skeletons and Golems on the hotbar for them to exist so that already takes two slots, Blood Mist and Army of Dead are my two panic buttons, CE is my main damage and Reap makes a corpse to start things off... I have no space for any curses and I'm just hitting level 50 with never having used a Core Skill.

No but ditch your spirit generator. That’s the easiest to get rid of and you should be getting plenty with your CE.

Let your golem make your first corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ice Fist posted:

You are limited to 6 skills. It doesn't matter if you have points in another skill.

Look at this non-sorc pleb :v:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Propaganda Hour posted:

It reminds me of the itemization Blizzard tried in Battle for Azeroth. It's just too loving finicky and there are too many levers to adjust. I don't even know what a perfect roll would look like on any of my gear slots and not seeing that clear goal or target isn't fun. It isn't fun because I'll probably never have that "oh poo poo! It dropped! The one item I've been waiting for!" feeling that D2 and D3 had. Warhammer 40k Darktide has that problem: you're mulling over 100 items that all kinda suck. Sorcerer has a million different offensive damage modifiers and the choice paralysis slows down the core gameplay loop and isn't fun. D3 was almost the opposite side of the spectrum because itemization was too simplified and too arcade-y. I think they overcompensated in D4.

Looking through my inventory and seeing the items with a million different damage boosts for enemies affected by different status effects and for different damage types is exhausting. How much overall damage is 10% extra overpower damage compared to 10% damage against weakened enemies compared to 4% lucky hit chance compared to 8% critical hit damage? No loving clue, I'll just pick the one with the higher item level anyway unless I'm staring at a table where some nerd calculated the best stats for each slot for me

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah I've been thinking the whole overpower and lucky hit mechanics are a bit much and not really needed, but what do I know I'm only level 46 in Act III.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

How do gear drops work? Is an ancestral that drops from a level 73 mob in WT4 going to have the same power level as one that drops at level 90?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I've been thinking the whole overpower and lucky hit mechanics are a bit much and not really needed, but what do I know I'm only level 46 in Act III.

Lucky Hit is just your proc coefficient, renamed to something even more confusing somehow.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

junan_paalla posted:

Looking through my inventory and seeing the items with a million different damage boosts for enemies affected by different status effects and for different damage types is exhausting. How much overall damage is 10% extra overpower damage compared to 10% damage against weakened enemies compared to 4% lucky hit chance compared to 8% critical hit damage? No loving clue, I'll just pick the one with the higher item level anyway unless I'm staring at a table where some nerd calculated the best stats for each slot for me

I think the first step is knowing what your skills benefit most from. I know that blood Lance for necros has a guatanteed overpower every 8th cast so over power damage would be decent for that. My character doesn't have any synergy with overpower so I avoid +overpower damage.

Bone spear is good at making stuff vulnerable, though, so +damage to vulnerable is good for me.

If you don't have any effects that have lucky hit, then +lucky hit is worthless. I have some lucky hit effects on my necro, so idk if I should take vulnerable damage or lucky hit bonus but at least I have a start there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Lucky Hit is just your proc coefficient, renamed to something even more confusing somehow.

Ok, so one of the druid capstone passives gives you a 5% lucky hit chance to proc a full spirit refill. How does that number interact with lucky hit stuff on gear

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

zoux posted:

Ok, so one of the druid capstone passives gives you a 5% lucky hit chance to proc a full spirit refill. How does that number interact with lucky hit stuff on gear

turn on advanced tooltips and look at your skills and it'll show their lucky hit chance. Then any passives/skills/items are generally a % chance of that percent all at the same time

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SettingSun posted:

Whoever put out the tip to do Helltides in wt3 but open chests in wt4 is a genius (assuming it works).

This isn't worth it, btw.

You get way more Cinders in WT4 just due to the density. If you are trying to do this because you are having trouble surviving or being effective in WT4 due to low level, getting more gear isn't really going to help you much with that; being higher level will.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Sanctuary must smell absolutely horrible with all the dead bodies lying around everywhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

turn on advanced tooltips and look at your skills and it'll show their lucky hit chance. Then any passives/skills/items are generally a % chance of that percent all at the same time

Oh they're on, so if I have, say 10% LHC, then I'm looking at a 10 percent chance to roll for a five percent chance?? That's really bad odds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not when you're attacking 400 times per second. You skills also each have their own inherent LHC value, which gets added to your gear number. So with Storm Strike and 15% gear you have a 50% lucky hit chance.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

American McGay posted:

Not when you're attacking 400 times per second.

Yep, also some skills are like 40 or 50%, and additional lucky hit chance is a stat you can get on items and stuff.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

zoux posted:

Oh they're on, so if I have, say 10% LHC, then I'm looking at a 10 percent chance to roll for a five percent chance?? That's really bad odds.

Yeah, 10% LH skill + 5% proc = 0.5% chance to activate

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Overpower is a mega crit that has a 3% chance to happen but sometimes you can set up a skill to force it to happen every X outta ten or something.

Lucky Hit is a chance for a thing to happen, give it a try and if you feel like it never happens then have those skill points hit the bricks.

The game is bad about explaining this to you and Lucky Hit being percents of percents is really stupid when literally every other game in the world that'll show you the odds just says "25% chance to happen" or something. You've gotta figure out what your procs are in the first place and whether or not you want to up the dice being luckier or something, otherwise just go to "always on" damage increases like vs close/distant enemies or vs CCed enemies and you can apply the CC reliably and often.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I have a sorc in the low 40s now. Not having as much fun with it as I remember from the beta, but I know things have changed since then. I’m running a chain lighting / arc lash build for leveling and…it’s fine, I haven’t really struggled (except for a couple bosses where I ran out of potions and had some close calls).

Maybe things get more exciting later on with more legendary stuff / aspects but it’s mostly just swapping between generator and spender, popping skills off cooldown and…that’s it.

Curious what classes (or even other sorc builds) people are finding to be engaging? I’d like to wrap up the campaign but I’m already thinking about leveling another character that’s more fun to play. Or maybe I just need to be more patient and things will become more interesting later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fortify is the real mind gently caress, I still have no idea how it works. Overpower I get, it's just a second 3% crit chance that you can modify the dmg for and certain skills will increase the chances of it, but I don't think you can influence the actual proc rate.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Fortify is a second health bar you can fill that has a passive 10% damage reduction, it drains first if you're hit(I think, it could be mixed too??? who knows) and if you don't fight for awhile it empties naturally. Even if you're getting it in bits and pieces constantly it helps take the edge off incoming damage and if you have ways to get big pools of it then it's an interesting alternative tanky approach to things.

Again, the in-game not explaining it too well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AcidCat posted:

Same. There are SO MANY conditionals now, and I sort of miss the days of "adds +xxx or +x% damage".

Okay, with this new axe I lose +16% damage to crowd controlled enemies, but I gain +18% damage to vulnerable enemies. It's hard to quantify because I don't really know how often one status or the other is up (assuming my character has ways to inflict both statuses). So instead of becoming an interesting trade-off, I tend to flip a coin and pick one. It's not a great feeling.

Maybe that's what Blizzard wants, rather than a bunch of grognards mulling over spreadsheets to find the absolute "best" build, but I don't feel like this is any better.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like level 80, 90+ right? I'm only level 75 doing tier 25 and it feels like low level grifts at this point. I dunno how much they scale.

The necromancer is very, very bad in endgame. At 75, my sorc friend is soloing T40 in literally less than half the time it takes me to do a 21.

It was super fun to level with and I’m sure they’ll fix it but it’s awful to play in endgame.

Also lol: I can’t kill any objectives like walls, shrines, etc (I have to quit out if I get that objective) because they don’t create “corpses”. And yet I discovered last night that those objects all bleed. Nothing quite like causing a log wall to explode by bleeding to death. And honestly it should be that way - this game is about fun. Zero corpses is zero dps for the necro.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Fortify is a second health bar you can fill that has a passive 10% damage reduction, it drains first if you're hit(I think, it could be mixed too??? who knows) and if you don't fight for awhile it empties naturally. Even if you're getting it in bits and pieces constantly it helps take the edge off incoming damage and if you have ways to get big pools of it then it's an interesting alternative tanky approach to things.

Again, the in-game not explaining it too well.

No I think they drain at the same time.

So is it just a flat 10% (or whatever you get it up to) DR or what

WhiteHowler posted:

Same. There are SO MANY conditionals now, and I sort of miss the days of "adds +xxx or +x% damage".

Okay, with this new axe I lose +16% damage to crowd controlled enemies, but I gain +18% damage to vulnerable enemies. It's hard to quantify because I don't really know how often one status or the other is up (assuming my character has ways to inflict both statuses). So instead of becoming an interesting trade-off, I tend to flip a coin and pick one. It's not a great feeling.

Maybe that's what Blizzard wants, rather than a bunch of grognards mulling over spreadsheets to find the absolute "best" build, but I don't feel like this is any better.

Yeah IDK even know what to do with gems since elemental resist apparently doesn't exist. The fact that they put ele resist on most of the gems makes me think they were going for a Grim Dawn/PoE style resist capping deal but since they don't work right now I don't understand.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 12, 2023

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I'm pretty sure health above fortify gets taken out first and then when it reaches your fortify level the damage you take is reduced. I don't think it's a separate pool of health the same way barrier is but I could be wrong

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played my druid through level 70 and still have no idea how fortify really works.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
since gems are infinitely reusable in sockets there's no reason to pick them up anymore once you have a critical mass of royals right? Like I'm not missing a crafting recipe or something that actually consumes gems?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im very early in the campaign but something about the sigils being basically just early christian theological symbolism with cuneiform written on it feels very apt for the lore and setting

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gone Fashing posted:

since gems are infinitely reusable in sockets there's no reason to pick them up anymore once you have a critical mass of royals right? Like I'm not missing a crafting recipe or something that actually consumes gems?

I think I heard that people data mined like 3 additional tiers of gems above royal that are not in the game yet but as of now yeah you got it. Probably don't need to pick up gems past a certain point.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Tbf needing advanced tool tips to understand how mechanics work is kind of lame.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

mentalcontempt posted:

Curious what classes (or even other sorc builds) people are finding to be engaging? I’d like to wrap up the campaign but I’m already thinking about leveling another character that’s more fun to play. Or maybe I just need to be more patient and things will become more interesting later.

I'm running a weapon mastery + double swing Barb right now and it's pretty fun in wt3 (lvl 57-58 atm), but I did need to luck into good ancestral 2-hander + 2 1-handers. You can swap into weapon mastery when you get the legendary aspect that gives another weapon mastery charge -> take the berserking on hit nodes for the chain and deathblow skill -> then you either need legendaries or double swing to keep Berserking up. I hope they fix the chain pull at some point, feels like a lot of mobs resist the pull for some reason.

You can level with Rend until you accumulate enough gear to swap to any of the various barb builds (Hammer of the Ancients is flavor of the patch for pushing to 100, I think, but the other builds are still fun), since it requires very little gear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah I kinda hate it

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

No I think they drain at the same time.

So is it just a flat 10% (or whatever you get it up to) DR or what

Yeah IDK even know what to do with gems since elemental resist apparently doesn't exist. The fact that they put ele resist on most of the gems makes me think they were going for a Grim Dawn/PoE style resist capping deal but since they don't work right now I don't understand.

Just do rubies in armor and skulls in jewelry, weapon does kind of depend on what your build does.

Also lucky hit chance on gear kind of sucks, I have a bunch of it and it's multiplicative not additive. So for example pulverize has a base lucky hit chance of 25%. I have a total bonus to lucky hit of 21% on gear, which is a pretty decent amount since it only comes on rings and gloves, and that raises pulverize from 25% to 30%. Not worth the affix slots to me, but I didn't know that when I was rolling the gear, guess I'll replace it eventually.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've gotten like ten levels in a couple hours from 60-70 in that dungeon cram packed with elites and so many upgrades it's unreal. Even better with a partner as you don't have to leave game.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Gone Fashing posted:

As soon as you do that they will patch in some recipe that costs a dozen gems or whatever. Just keep hoarding!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

flashman posted:

I've gotten like ten levels in a couple hours from 60-70 in that dungeon cram packed with elites and so many upgrades it's unreal. Even better with a partner as you don't have to leave game.

Which dungeon is that? I’m about to settle in for a 10 hour poopsock session and would love to maximize my time leveling.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
There were higher ranks of gems in D3. Higher ranks in D4 have been datamined. I'd just keep ahold of them and hoard so you can hit the ground running when the better gems are accessible.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Argh, I still can't even follow this thread, I just barely know what you guys are talking about at any given time.

I feel like I'm fundamentally playing a different game than most people. I'm not really thinking about the postgame at all, I'm just kinda playing this as I'd play any other video game. I just beat Act 1 last night, despite playing since release lol. I just keep getting distracted by sidequests and world events and dungeons! I see people saying to beeline the campaign and I'm trying to weigh it up in my head -- it'd be cool to experience the "real" game fresh at release with everyone else, but I dunno if I'm gonna be the kinda guy that runs endless Rifts or whatever, and I'm really, really enjoying Diablo 4 at a nice sedate pace, taking in all the sights and meeting all the people and doing all their quests.

But I dunno what the heck is going on with my gear yet, still mostly going with whatever has the biggest numbers. I had a really nice Legendary Bow with a good aspect, but I don't know how to strip off the aspect now that I've outgrown the bow, and I don't know when it would be worth bothering putting it on a different weapon anyway, given that I'm constantly changing out for new gear. Also wondering if the leveling system is gonna fall apart, since I'm already like level 29. Feels like signs from the game that I'm doing it wrong. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had to laugh at the Sorc legendary effect that's like "you take less damage from vulnerable and crowd controlled enemies." You know, the dudes who are already not doing any damage to you because they are frozen and/or stunned.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Astryl posted:

Tbf needing advanced tool tips to understand how mechanics work is kind of lame.

that's kind of the point though. your average dad gamer who's level 43 on act 2 right now has no idea what lucky hit does and he's totally cool with that, the weapon has a green number and that means his damage is better

e: see above. it's totally cool if you don't know what's going on! smoke a bowl, gulp down a KFC Double Down and have fun

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'll say this for conditional stuff, that in and of itself could make for a lot of interesting builds once fully understood. Everyone has access to this stuff so it's largely a question of drops that support what you're after. Incidentally even though I do agree the skill love isn't equally distributed, if the stars align you could definitely do a lot with what's available here. Think there's potential but not knowing which conditions are ideal or most powerful makes trying to find the builds a bit fiddly.

On gems: can you not auto salvage equipment with gems in it? Do you seriously have to manually remove them first? Or am I just dumb and missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

No but ditch your spirit generator. That’s the easiest to get rid of and you should be getting plenty with your CE.

Let your golem make your first corpse.

I guess... In PoE goons would refer to Necros as "socket-starved" and it's nice to see Blizz hasn't solved the issue either.

In other bad design kvetches, I got an item that gives a huge damage boost if I stand perfectly still for 4 seconds, definitely the kind of gameplay to encourage.

CLAM DOWN posted:

shadow corpse explosions stack. it gets pretty insane. they're so good.

I was wondering why my damage was way less impressive than it should have been when I was spamming these with huge attack speed.

The loving cowards capped the number of active CE clouds to 5. When you cast a 6th the first will vanish. Makes me think that with enough attack speed, the normal CE could possibly out-DPS it at some point. Or maybe there's too much shadow synergy for that to ever happen. Still feels bad to have DPS nerfed over what was probably a performance stopgap.

One other thing about the Blighted CE: If you use it, go into accessibility and turn on character outline. I set it to white, which ruins my fashion, but i can tell where I am when I have 5 overlapping smoke clouds.