Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hirayuki posted:

Some shrines' locations correspond to different areas of Kyoto, and so do their Japanese names: https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20230523-19069/
:allears:

Holy shitttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Ratchet and Clank Future A Crack in Time: "If I were down to my last piece of gum, and Dr. Nefarious asked me for gum, I would give him my gum."

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Idk how little these things are, but SF6 (in addition to being a great onboarding to fighting games) has a pretty decent photo mode (barring custom lighting setup, which AFAIK no one but FF14 has done) AND lets you customize how you wear accessories, which leads to being able to do stuff like this with them!

(and if you know more about the series than me, I know world tour mode has a million little references)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On that topic, when you first fire up SF6, there's a cutscene that plays. In it, a new character named "Eternity" welcomes you to the community. Eternity looks like this:

Welcome to the community! Unless you're a chud, in which case:

https://twitter.com/DAIHIME_SAMA/status/1662121328059588610

If you're wondering about "woke controls", SF6 also features an option for a simplified control scheme. Instead of light/medium/heavy punch/kick and doing command inputs to perform special moves, there's just light/medium/heavy/special buttons, and a button you can hold down to do automatic combo strings. Zangief can do a spinning piledriver with one button press and it is terrifying.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Granblue Fantasy Versus has something similar, where you can either do the commands for specials or just push a direction and activator button to do that specific special. It's a little gimped because it takes longer to come off cooldown and does a little less damage for the non-command method but it's still greatly appreciated. God I might actually buy SF6 soon :negative:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
Eternity is awesome! I didn't realize they figured into the rest of the game (I've only touched world tour mode so far) but in that mode they even have fake streamer intro/outro splash screens.

I should also add that you can have a nonbinary character for world tour mode and I totally forgot I chose that option until I realized "huh, it's nice that they aren't gendering my character--heywaitaminute!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m ok with using the 1 button special moves against the CPU but not against human players. I want to see them playing as they are, equal prime athletes playing a sport far beyond the skills and limits of 99% of other humans

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Oldblockless. Specials block the same as any other attack. If you were already getting combo'd you'd be getting hit by them anyway. And if you can't handle a Ryu spamming hadouken then shame on you for trying to make this argument.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome little thing in Tears, if you wear any of the divine beast masks the corresponding ally will wear it as well

Excuse the terrible pics

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey guys what did Ryu say when his daughter asked to borrow the car?

Sure you can!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

Hey guys what did Ryu say when his daughter asked to borrow the car?

Sure you can!

I hope I didn't come off as snarky in the other thread with the thing about playing dress-up, but this stupid loving joke just made up for any annoyance I might have felt towards you for not recognizing that the smaller mannequin with breasts was a woman.

Well done. :)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Minor TOTK content spoiler: this shrine put a big smile on my face

It's loving jenga :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waste of Breath posted:

Oldblockless. Specials block the same as any other attack. If you were already getting combo'd you'd be getting hit by them anyway. And if you can't handle a Ryu spamming hadouken then shame on you for trying to make this argument.

Yeah, the thing about spamming special moves is that it leaves gaping holes in your defense when you are recovering from them. You don't need to come anywhere close to frame data to start seeing the openings.

You can call the modern controls for noobs or stoop to calling them cheating, but they're really a skill check and you need to git gud realize you are still starting out with this game and gradually improve over time. Complaining about people spamming fireballs and throws is usually the sign you're going to make that a struggle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Get this flamboyant person out of my game full of large, muscular, nearly-naked men! I don't want people thinking I'm gay! Now excuse me while I write up a 30-page essay on why Urien needs his original costume back."
:goonsay:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I started the FFVII remake today and, while I'm absolutely not a purist about the changes made, I'm very happy they kept Cloud being a giant dork.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So Street Fighter 6 is accessible to newbies?
I love everything I've seen so far but I am absolute dog poo poo at fighting games outside of Smash.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

I love everything I've seen so far but I am absolute dog poo poo at fighting games outside of Smash.

It probably helps if you know some foundational traditional fighting game basics, but overall yes. Modern controls are a godsend, the campaign has a good amount of content and actually tries to teach you things (even if what I've mostly seen is control familiarity/fairly basic stuff), and the broader tutorial stuff while still having a bit of that "okay now do this 20 input combo perfectly" problem tries to actually sell you on a character instead of just telling you to go practice for a hundred hours in training mode.

Also, at least for me, it also helps a ton that they cleaned up, flattened, or otherwise better integrated a lot of mechanical stuff that got added on top of the core framework, particularly in 5. All the universal Drive moves feel good to play around. Every character has some distinct gimmick or resource to play around. Even as a comparative newbie I can actually grok things instead of the approach being a sheer cliff.

Basically a complete and total turn around from SFV's dogshit launch state.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

The singleplayer mode should give people plenty to do even if they're total fighting game novices. It's basically a light RPG where combat is resolved via fighting game mechanics. But since the AI is set in the "not very bright" range, the fights are mostly just a test of your RPG stats. They do try to teach you a few basic things through the enemies you face, stuff like blocking projectiles or punishing jump-ins, but it's perfectly valid to just find a strat you like and apply it to everything you face. Along the way you get to meet all of the Street Fighter characters, learn their movesets, do sidequests, and Spinning Bird Kick everyone you meet.

If you want to dip your toes into multiplayer, it has skill-based matchmaking, so as a general rule you should be winning roughly 50% of your matches no matter how good you are at the game. There's plenty of fellow scrubs to test your moves on. You can also just face off against the AI, though it has the standard fighting game issue of having implausibly good reactions (i.e. reading your inputs) at higher levels.

Each character has their own story mode, but it's really minimal: intro cutscene, two low-level AI fights, bonus minigame, one more AI fight, a short dialog with a relevant character, you fight them, close-out cutscene.

EDIT: oh yeah, the game has a really good training mode. Every character has a detailed breakdown of all of their moves and what they're useful for. There's a section that lays out how the character works best and tells you which tools are most useful, while demonstrating them in use. And there's combo trials to help you figure out how to lay down some damage once you get a hit in. Though at least at my level, the only combos I've needed have been "heavy attack chained into special/super attack". You can eke out a bit more damage if you're good at timing, but it is not even remotely necessary. The more hits you land in a combo, the less damage they do, and the damage scaling is pretty drastic. So e.g. my "heavy punch into dragon punch" combo does ~25% of enemy's healthbar, while a 10-second-long masterful combo that uses the same amount of resources might do 35%. My "heavy punch into level-3 super" does 50%, the master's equivalent does 60%.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jun 7, 2023

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Owl Inspector posted:

Minor TOTK content spoiler: this shrine put a big smile on my face

It's loving jenga :allears:

But in Jenga I can't just glue the whole tower and ball and chest together and bring it to me and put it on its side.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes you can. who can stop you

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Wasabi the J posted:

But in Jenga I can't just glue the whole tower and ball and chest together and bring it to me and put it on its side.

oh yeah i could have done that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wasabi the J posted:

I completed the circuit with swords. I should have done this instead it would have been way easier

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I just collapsed the tower, grabbed the ball as it fell and finished the shrine

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OutOfPrint posted:

I started the FFVII remake today and, while I'm absolutely not a purist about the changes made, I'm very happy they kept Cloud being a giant dork.

Whether or not you're a purist, the ending is very interesting for how it does/doesn't play on fans' expectations. It makes part 2 incredibly intriguing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A little cool thing in Street Fighter 6 - on the aircraft carrier Jp's clothes will billow including his vest and pants.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
For anyone who's played the Ace Attorney trilogy, you'll remember a running joke over arguing whether a particular item is a ladder or a stepladder.

The prequel game (set in the Meiji period of Japan/England) continues this with a multi-chapter argument over whether an item is a spade or a shovel. :allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Read After Burning posted:

whether an item is a spade or a shovel. :allears:

o god not here too

abort abort

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

credburn posted:

o god not here too

abort abort

Haha, I almost posted it in that thread, then realized this was definitely the better thread for it :lol:. Way to call me out! :argh:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So there's lots to post about in this thread regarding TMNT Shredder's Revenge, since the game is a giant love letter to the classic cartoon/toy commercial. There are more little references and jokes stuffed in there than you can shake a stick at, with one glaring fan-favorite exception. Well, DLC just got announced, and Usagi Yojimbo will not only make an appearance, he'll be a playable character!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about the flashbacks in TOTK is that you get to see characters using game mechanics in world. Like there's one scene where Zelda uses the time reversal ability that makes the same noises as when you use it and another where she fast travels and you see her take out the Purah pad before she does.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zero_Grade posted:

So there's lots to post about in this thread regarding TMNT Shredder's Revenge, since the game is a giant love letter to the classic cartoon/toy commercial. There are more little references and jokes stuffed in there than you can shake a stick at, with one glaring fan-favorite exception. Well, DLC just got announced, and Usagi Yojimbo will not only make an appearance, he'll be a playable character!

:woop:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zero_Grade posted:

Hell yeah. Really liked that game and wouldn't mind going back. Just wish getting games going online was easier & faster. Never seemed like I could find more than a few games going at any time and the host has an unlimited amount of time to sit in the lobby, so often the only game that looked like it was going to have a good crew would just hold on the character selection screen forever.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

Okay, NOW this game is a guaranteed buy for me. :colbert:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I wish I knew how to post pictures on this site, but shrines in TOTK look remarkably like Goatse. My buddy pointed that out and now I can't help but giggle every time the entrance opens up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My brother has lent me the Wall-E ps2 game, I love the collectible artifacts. They are really cute, each one has a unique animation that plays as Wall-E plays with them and figures out their properties, including a rather funny bit with a Boomerang where he keeps throwing it, then turning around to find it back in his toolbox no matter which way or how far he throws it. Also the platforming is pretty satisfying due to being momentum-based.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Tried out Lonesome Village. Trees can be shaken to get items; you can get sticks, coins, and fruit. Depending on what part of the map you're in, the type of fruit will differ - and in the desert, i was pleased to see that there was in fact no fruit you could get from shaking a bare tree.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm playing Smushi Come Home, which is a cute little exploration game that's based around a little mushroom guy who gets carried away from this three friends and needs to find a way back to them. You paraglide around with a leaf, and can wall cling/jump to any surface once. As you explore, you can find some other tools, one of them is a Writing Tool to give to a dude who is a Mycologist. As a reward, he gives you his Mycology Journal, which unlocks information about mushrooms that you happen across through the game, with what looks like real mycological facts. On the bottom of every page, Smushi adds his own notes as well.

One of the mushroom entries describes how the mushrooms are edible when thoroughly cooked, but they have a very peppery taste, giving it the name Peppery Bolete. This is about six entries in. Smushi notes down "Wait, why are there notes on here about the mushrooms' flavor? Umm... I'm scared" :3:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've heard a lot of talk about Hollow Knight pretty much everywhere on the internet, and lots of anticipation about Silksong on top of that with the recent game conference/shows, so I decided to finally buy the game. I like a good Metroidvania, but never got around to this one because I always figured it would be Too Hard from what people were saying about the game, and from what I've seen watching a streamer play through it. I watched one guy fight (and die to) a boss for 6 hours (to his credit, chat said he found it extremely early), so I figured it was going to be that hard the whole time.

I don't think I've played a game in recent memory that was this tight. When I'm fighting a boss and get hit, my gut reaction has not once yet been "oh that was loving cheap", it has always been "oh dammit, I should've known not to do that" because that is just how finely tuned the platforming feels. The air control is perfect, the movement is exquisite, the jumping is super responsive, and I've managed to just barely make a few jumps that I don't think I was supposed to because the timing seemed almost frame-perfect, but I did it anyway and the game isn't stopping me!

So far I've found 4 Stag Stations, the one at Dirtpoint, the one at the Crossroads, the one at the Greenpath, and the one at Queen's Station. The last one definitely feels like I shouldn't be there yet, but the game did not try very hard to stop me. It helped that I was able to find out pretty quickly that the jellyfish guys in the Fog Road don't zap you when you hit them, but the big jellyfish guys do demand that you be careful of when you're swinging at them. I walked into Queen's Station with one health left and was shaking in my boots when I walked into a room that had a giant-looking bug monster that just turned out to be a lady scarfing down on some snacks in the room above me. I eventually found the Stag Station and a bench, but I was sweating bullets for a hot minute there.

I remember seeing a streamer swipe down at an enemy in mid-air, so I did that a few times when fighting, then I wondered "Is this like the pogo in Shovel Knight" and it is! So I stared pogoing off of enemies to get to ledges, which so far is a lot of me practicing the timing and just getting to ledges (that I quickly realize did not require pogoing at all.) This feels like it's gonna pay off though.

I've fought a couple "bosses" so far, but I just beat the first challenging fight (Hornet) and got the first real power-up, so I'm calling it quits for tonight. But I get it now. This is probably going to ruin other Metroidvanias for me for a while, but it certainly beats hunting for signs to brace wooden planks against in Tears of the Kingdom :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
FYI, you can pogo off of most spiked surfaces. And yeah, some of the super duper optional bosses can be a bit much, but pretty much everything outside of the DLC and Radiance does a great job of making you say “poo poo I overextended on that opening” or “drat I reacted too early/late”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster:

The robot suits in the intro look like they're strutting through the snow. That's it, just a silly little thing I noticed that made Mr and Mrs Randalor giggle.