Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:sickos: Absolutely destroy Copper's ego. :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Very into Prince Valiant: Horse Antics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

1993? Survivor and Big Brother, the first things we'd recognize as modern reality TV, were still years in the future. What was Calvin Bill Watterson talking about here? Celebrity gossip shows?

Hwurmp posted:

stuff like Cops, probably

ellie the beep posted:

my guess is candid camera, americas funniest home videos, that sort of thing

Powered Descent posted:

Those all make sense, but yeah, Cops in particular is almost certainly what he was talking about.

Reali-TV was actually a much broader trend than you all are thinking of, it just doesn't get much attention in pop culture consciousness because its artistic merit is nearly impossible to defend. I don't mean that aesthetically, although that also tends to be true, but in terms of its economic motivation. Big old academic paper if you actually want to understand what I'm talking about-

https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=comm&httpsredir=1

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Fools... I've figured out their tactic. They're playing to win!

Some Guy TT posted:

Still behind but just wondering, what was the resolution to the plotline about Bets being agitated that Gunther was keeping her living in the house a secret from his mother? Or was there one?

Luann doesn't really seem to 'do' resolutions; a problem is introduced, the character with the problem gripes about it for a few strips while the other characters stare off into space and 'comically' misinterpret them or just talk about stuff they like, cutaway to a different set of characters and start from the top.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I swear these Sunday Lockhorns get smaller every time you post them. I can't even read that.
I haven't been able to read them for a while.

Thanks!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "74 - Jucika, The Trespasser"

"hirdetmény = advertisement"

Jucika! Do you remember the basics of CQC?

"75 - Jucika and the Strategy."

"a védekezés fegyverei = defensive weapons"

Green Intern posted:

:sickos: Absolutely destroy Copper's ego. :sickos:

dismas posted:

Very into Prince Valiant: Horse Antics

:same: God these strips rule so hard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some Guy TT posted:

Still behind but just wondering, what was the resolution to the plotline about Bets being agitated that Gunther was keeping her living in the house a secret from his mother? Or was there one?

I don't think there was no, I think the character approached the realization that it sucks poo poo and Gunther is a weenie and veered off

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 4, 1935)

Peanuts (June 14, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 15, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 12-14, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 12, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I dunno what they call them in Korea, but classically you score runs, not points, in baseball :eng101:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally Forth is getting almost as bad with these werewolf statues as Mark Trail is about the boats.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I got curious so here's me sneaking around CK's paywall to deliver Curtis:

Allright, looks like we're heading for a patented Stupid Billingsley Story!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Some Guy TT posted:

Reali-TV was actually a much broader trend than you all are thinking of, it just doesn't get much attention in pop culture consciousness because its artistic merit is nearly impossible to defend. I don't mean that aesthetically, although that also tends to be true, but in terms of its economic motivation. Big old academic paper if you actually want to understand what I'm talking about-

https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=comm&httpsredir=1

this is a super cool read, thank you!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

As opposed to open-ended question tests?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/26/50

Archie 7/21-23/47

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Sally Forth

*Sighs, resets 'days since last mention of the werewolf statues' counter back to 0*

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

"My teeth feel hot" is an amazing statement

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What are they planning…

https://twitter.com/RealHeathcliffs/status/1668282537905364992

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

The Finnish phrasing in the last panel was a bit less literal, effectively "people walk with their faces attached to their phones", but I think the more literal statement makes the joke slightly funnier.

ANSU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 15, 1957)

Hey gently caress you, Val, Mayblossom is now my favorite character in the series!

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Back from the trip! Gonna catch up by finishing up The Diary of Ma-Chan!

Spoilered the first page because of nudity. It's Barbie Doll nudity, but I don't wanna risk it

And that's it for the strip! Like I said, it was short-lived, only lasting just under 3 months. Of course, Osamu Tezuka would go on to bigger things after his humble beginning.

That's not the end of Tezuka for this thread, though. To pad out the book collection they included a bunch of OTHER newspaper strips Tezuka did over the years. Yeah, he did a bunch, although they were all short lived. And they were all translated, so stay tuned for more Tezuka obscurities!

Before I end the post, Tezuka wrote an afterword for each strip featured in the book, including "Ma-Chan". They happened to be translated to English, so here it is:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

An Taoiseach posted:

Sally Forth

*Sighs, resets 'days since last mention of the werewolf statues' counter back to 0*

The what.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"We Should Murder The School Bully And Eat Him" And Other Normal Thoughts

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The fun linguistic thing is the "shokokumin shimbun" could be more-directly translated as "little citizens' newspaper" rather than "children's newspaper" - wartime propaganda is a heck of a thing!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm a little freaked out by Curtis's giant bulbous feet.

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"She may be just terrified and suffering. By now, perhaps even in great pain."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mon, Aug 17, 1981

Sat, Sep 14, 1985

Tue, Sep 24, 1985

Wed, Jun 11, 1986

Thu, Sep 4, 1986

Thu, Aug 3, 1989

1981-1989: The Spite Fence Era

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Mar 14-17, 1955)

Charlie Brown's face got really tiny over the last year.

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 3-6, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In hindsight, I probably could've seen that coming. I was thinking along the right lines.
There's no driver.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

"I don't get it, why wouldn't she want to be entirely dependent on me for money? I'm clearly a stable and well-balanced person. drat feminism."

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Apparently other Arcamax comics have also been getting ant-sized Sunday images. As much as I hate CK I might end up having to go there for Sundays. :negative:

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

e:
For anyone else as confused as I was, the dad seems to be referencing this.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 13, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 10, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mister Beeg posted:

Back from the trip! Gonna catch up by finishing up The Diary of Ma-Chan!

Spoilered the first page because of nudity. It's Barbie Doll nudity, but I don't wanna risk it

And that's it for the strip! Like I said, it was short-lived, only lasting just under 3 months. Of course, Osamu Tezuka would go on to bigger things after his humble beginning.

That's not the end of Tezuka for this thread, though. To pad out the book collection they included a bunch of OTHER newspaper strips Tezuka did over the years. Yeah, he did a bunch, although they were all short lived. And they were all translated, so stay tuned for more Tezuka obscurities!

Thanks for posting this! Even this early on you can tell he had a good instinct for cute comic art.

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 22, 1957)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Thanks for posting this! Even this early on you can tell he had a good instinct for cute comic art.

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 22, 1957)

Hilarity is about to ensue.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hippocrass posted:

Hilarity is about to ensue.

Hilarity and WAR WITH EAST SAXONY

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/12/03

Brenda Starr 3/1-3/51

Smokey Stover 3/20/55

Everyday Movies 7/4/36

"Let's not go in swimming now -- there's not enough people on the beach."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/28-30/41

Steele and Robbin Investment Company? Must be right down the hall from the law offices of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.

Also, between this guy and Red Penn, it looks like Scarlet goes for guys with well-trimmed mustaches, like ...

... Russell Stamm.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

So you've found yourself dealing with The Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rcSqRb3zSs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I figured Scarlet wouldn't be subtle about it but lol she just name drops the Good Neighbor Policy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Neighbor_policy