Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do we know if there's an actual party in this game? Or is the party Clive and torgal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Party is Clive with limited controls over Torgal, plus AI driven guest characters.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

who torgaled

(in Eikonic Challenge hit left on the dpad to go to Manual Torgaling)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there no way to make the tutorial popup font bigger? I see one for subtitle font, but I couldn't find one for the info boxes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Do we know if there's an actual party in this game? Or is the party Clive and torgal?

You only directly control Clive, and you can give orders to Torgal. There are AI-controlled party members who are around for an unknown period of the story (but apparently a lot of it going by statements the devs have made) but you can't directly or indirectly control them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bewilderment posted:

as a separate post I would like to state that this is the horniest opening hour an FF game has ever had

i mean, any acknowledgement that sex exists gets you the #1 spot here.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok that was an insanely cool demo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i mean, any acknowledgement that sex exists gets you the #1 spot here.
ff14 acknowledges sex a lot

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Maaaaaan. Do I play this at launch like I want to, or do I save it for two weeks for my vasectomy recovery weekend. Wife and kid will be out of town, just me, a bag of frozen peas, and potentially this game.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Endorph posted:

ff14 acknowledges sex a lot

Never forget Hunberct Longhaft or the continuing adventures of Aenor Cockburne and the Boulder Brothers.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Maaaaaan. Do I play this at launch like I want to, or do I save it for two weeks for my vasectomy recovery weekend. Wife and kid will be out of town, just me, a bag of frozen peas, and potentially this game.

i don't know that i'd be able to properly enjoy anything if i'd just been stabbed in the balls

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finally playing the demo now that my power is back.

One thing I'm happy about is that dodging is more difficult than it looked in the preview content (at least for me). It seems like I'll actually want to make use of that training mode to get familiar with enemies' moves. I also haven't been able to figure out the parry timing yet (but I've only tried it against the Morbol - I'll probably have more opportunities to try this stuff out in the combat demo).

The only downside I've noticed is that the performance seems a bit iffy outside of combat and cutscenes (which are both fine). When I rotate the camera it feels a bit stutter-y, espcially in places like the castle area with all the NPCs. It also seems like there's some sort of motion blur that can't be turned off. Not a huge deal though since it doesn't seem to impact combat.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

i don't know that i'd be able to properly enjoy anything if i'd just been stabbed in the balls

It’s really more being stabbed in the taint.

Having a weekend alone is a more compelling reason to save it. While you shouldn’t go ride a bike for six hours, a vasectomy isn’t something that will lay you up in bed for a whole weekend.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I realised that I'm a bad defensively so I put on the Timely Dodges accessory and haven't really looked back. I'll probably slap the Torgal one on too.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

funkymonks posted:

It’s really more being stabbed in the taint.

Having a weekend alone is a more compelling reason to save it. While you shouldn’t go ride a bike for six hours, a vasectomy isn’t something that will lay you up in bed for a whole weekend.

I did mine like 2 years ago and besides some soreness when moving around you definitely can play games and it isn’t much of a bother.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I realised that I'm a bad defensively so I put on the Timely Dodges accessory and haven't really looked back. I'll probably slap the Torgal one on too.

To be honest I'd try to avoid it. You get a *lot* of defensive options and the ability to extend your perfect dodge window. I didn't experiment with it much but I think that only works with default dodge snd none of the other cool parry/dodge moves

Torgal one should be harmless tho'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m gonna sink so much time into arcade mode, the combat feels amazing

hope the lack of HUD options is just a demo thing tho.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
struggling to comprehend that 80%+ of footage from all the trailers we got is from the first 2 hours of the game lol lmao lets loving go

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll play the demo an hour and a half from now.....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So this intro seems to make some plot stuff pretty obvious that couldn't be easily inferred from the trailers (I don't think I'd seen anyone speculate it was the case anyway). They did a pretty good job of hiding that from us.

(I still can't figure out parries. Final boss from the story part of the demo seemed to be a good chance to experiment, but instead I just almost got myself killed. The perfect dodges are comparatively easier to pull off.)

edit: I really hope they add an option to turn off this motion blur. It's actually starting to give me a bit of a headache when I rotate the camera.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 12, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay finished both parts of the demo this morning, and gently caress me, this game goes really hard and I love every single second of it. Absolutely brilliant and perfect.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Increasingly annoyed that it's going to be a minimum of a year before I get to play this game.

Mainwaring posted:

SEVERAL CUTSCENES WILL PLAY IN SEQUENCE BABY

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The PC version would fix absolutely every complaint I have about the demo, they're all simple technical things you can either mod out (motion blur) or brute force (consistent FPS).

Can't wait for launch day on PS5 and then PC drop.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the dog controls may have been a mistake. It's good that you get a way to make his actions automatic (though at the cost of an accessory slot), but I feel like it'll always be kind of unintuitive to try and split your focus between the dog's behavior and all the stuff Clive has to manage himself. And because of the way his abilities (or at least the attacks) have no cooldown, it seems optimal to be just hitting up or down on the d-pad constantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the dog controls may have been a mistake. It's good that you get a way to make his actions automatic (though at the cost of an accessory slot), but I feel like it'll always be kind of unintuitive to try and split your focus between the dog's behavior and all the stuff Clive has to manage himself. And because of the way his abilities (or at least the attacks) have no cooldown, it seems optimal to be just hitting up or down on the d-pad constantly.

So it nay not be clear in the demo but Sic has a 'sweet spot' where it is far more effective amd that is used at the end of a Clive combo. Mashing the button is way less effective than a precision sic.

Same goes for Magic Burst which you can weave in between regular combo attacks for bonus damage with precise timing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man, this demo is loving long. I had to put it down to have some dinner and come back later, never imagined that happening with a demo!

I think I'm getting towards the end? I've just been given control of Joshua during the attack on Phoenix Gate basically watched that cutscene and put the PS5 to sleep to go get some dinner.

Did put the game on framerate at first, but that was being pretty unsteady for me, and usually I don't notice that stuff. Turned it to graphics and it seems steady, but definitely lower FPS, as expected

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll be streaming my first time through for those who want to experience it again vicariously :)

https://twitch.tv/terp3r

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The PC version would fix absolutely every complaint I have about the demo, they're all simple technical things you can either mod out (motion blur) or brute force (consistent FPS).

Can't wait for launch day on PS5 and then PC drop.

There's a lot less motion blur if you change the graphics mode to framerate-focused from graphics-focused, so that's both of your complaints addressed!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just bought a PS5 this morning because I didn't knwo this was coming out so soon, where the hell did this year go?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Argue posted:

There's a lot less motion blur if you change the graphics mode to framerate-focused from graphics-focused, so that's both of your complaints addressed!

I played the demo on performance mode and usually play games at 120fps plus so fair to say that performance mode absolutely does not fix the performance in inconsistencies for me, but I also recognise I'm an extreme fringe case example and I can deal with it being like it is here, and the full release could be a more recent build, more consistent FPS anyway.

I dealt with FF15 on PS4, it's nowhere similar to how rough that was.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Argue posted:

Would prefer to just disable motion blur altogether, but yes this appears to be correct. Its reduced.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Argue posted:

The motion blur's still there and the framerate's still inconsistent on the framerate focused mode ):

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

demo owned. full release plz

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Skeletome posted:

The motion blur's still there and the framerate's still inconsistent on the framerate focused mode ):

Yeah the inconsistent frame rate in performance mode is a big bummer. Hoping future patches will be able to optimize the game further.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People over on Twitter and Reddit are confirming the demo is an old build. Demo is v.1.01 and apparently they were playing v.1.03 last night at the XVI event. So maybe performance has already been smoothed over.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The timing on Magic Bursts is kind of like getting Ex-Acts with Nero and there's an Enemy Step ability, this is definitely a DMC game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Titan mode owns but seems particularly broken, not particularly slow, super high damage moves and block that is also a parry and counter and much easier to pull off than the actual parry?

Enjoyed the Phoenix magic counter move in the last boss fight too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Titan mode owns but seems particularly broken, not particularly slow, super high damage moves and block that is also a parry and counter and much easier to pull off than the actual parry?

Enjoyed the Phoenix magic counter move in the last boss fight too.

Titan is probably my single favorite in the game. The move it has that probably isn't in the demo is probably my single favorite move as well. It's just an incredibly solid build.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Titan is probably my single favorite in the game. The move it has that probably isn't in the demo is probably my single favorite move as well. It's just an incredibly solid build.

Is it the parry into ora ora ora? It can be purchased in the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqeyWsFb8Tg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Interested to find out what that giant underground city you fight Iffrit in is, Joseph seemed extremely unhappy to be fighting there.