Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Epi Lepi posted:

Commando Droid in a trench coat is peak character design, no notes, 10/10.

Finally, a friend for Utooni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The cute little alien pet rides on the back of your speeder while you ride around and blast dudes? Day loving one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yup, that's a pre-order for me.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
where's the turn off quip button

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It does look good. But it will depend on how much of that was scripted versus happening dynamically. I値l wait for more actual hands on impressions before passing judgement but I知 definitely keeping an eye on that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It looks like a looter shooter and I don稚 know if there痴 enough unique mechanics to keep it interesting

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I gotta disagree with the thread sentiment. To my eye, that video was almost as scripted as the cinematic trailer, sometimes blatantly so. Even from a 'This is what we what gameplay to feel like, but we're not there yet' perspective it wasn't encouraging.

-A stealth section where it didnt really matter, didnt accomplish anything and they just got into a firefight anyway (except now they're in the low ground)
-Fight some guy with a shield that stops your blaster bolts. Solution: Press a button on your blaster to shoot it with different blaster bolts. These bolts dont work on regular enemies tho.
-Shoot some barrels
-Steal a blaster rifle, which they don't do anything at all with except shoot another barrel. The enemies all kindly stop shooting while the character stands out of cover.
-A dramatic escape with blaster fire everywhere, which wouldn't actually happen because its an Ubisoft game and the players will just stay there and win the firefight so they can get their (Blaster Part +2)s and (Pyke Syndicate Medallion)s.
-Escaping on your swoop bike, which turns into a dramatic chase only because they did a jump directly in front of some already-extant swoop bikes (gonna be very hard to pull off in an open world game) The swoop bikes threaten the player by getting in front and firing backwards, which... the player could just turn around? Or turn to the side... if there was anything but this one long road with no alternative paths. Open world chase sequences are actually a tough gameplay problem for several reasons, and what they show off here kinda looks like it'll break, easily.
-A long cutscene with no player input.
-The player is now wanted by the imperials, although the ship is parked 10 feet away and noone tries to stop her from getting to it so *shrug*
-Overly long leave atmosphere sequence. Noone wants this - see Mass Effect: Andromeda.
-Space sequence. Nothing really against this except its very scripted again. In an actual game you can't rely on players not looking at where the fighters pop out for the 'no fighters on scan' quip. Their later inconvenience relies on ships popping out of hyperspace right in front of them. Which i suppose could actually be done in gameplay - if awkwardly, if the player has full freedom - so, fair.

I did like the mon cal mob boss person though, that was neat.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 12, 2023

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Game help needed

I can't get past the enemy to unlock this Ubisoft Tower

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Dave Syndrome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTcvtSfDkCM

It's an open world game, to be released in 2024. Sounds cool, it's pretty much what I've always wanted in a Star Wars game. Let's hope they don't muck it up.

I can't wait to climb every "satellite ship uplink tower" to reveal the entire map on five different planets. Using a wandering spacetiger to take out that imperial outpost sure was fun. I'm nearly done with the game I just need to get the unique blaster shotgun by collecting 2 rancor claws and I'm done.

Although a guided tour game mode of various relevant settings in the the SWU would be quite cool.

I'd love for it to be amazingly unique and amazing, but ubitsoft have had an openworld formula on lock for the better part of 15 years now, I don't see them changing.

it's going to be far creed : star wars and I'm going to play the poo poo out of it,

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

All I could think of while watching the SW Outlaws gameplay trailer was how that could be Aphra doing all that poo poo lol.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sentinel Red posted:

Scoundrel Girl's powers will include being a low down, dirty backstabbing sonuvabitch, cheating at every known card game in the galaxy, and having a six digit tab in every port. And that's fine with me.

Scoundrel Girl will also undoubtedly have a Force Sensitive love interest to fit the Star Wars formula.

Looks good. Bangs are back!

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Jaylen in the cinematic trailer is basically Kyle Katarn right?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

While I'm glad single player Star Wars games seem to be en vogue again, I wish that instead of another open world third-person collect-'em-up we'd get a proper RPG or TIE Fighter 2 or Star Wars: Rebellion: Revampeance or Total Star War: Mandalorians or

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Yup, that's a pre-order for me.

:same:

EDIT: Didn't see it mentioned on here yet, but the website for the game says its set between ESB and RotJ. IIRC, there's still supposed to be about a year between those movies even in the Disney canon.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think the game is in the best hands

https://twitter.com/Scarfulhu/status/1668376391291682817

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dexo posted:

I think the game is in the best hands

I take back all my criticism

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Admiral Bosch posted:

where's the turn off quip button

This is Star Wars, it's all quips.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, Kyle Katarn and IVE, not a combination I was ever expecting to see happen.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

w. wow. well ok then

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're looking for something to tide you over till the game comes out humble has a 41 book bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-wars-legends-myths-and-high-republic-books

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Azhais posted:

If you're looking for something to tide you over till the game comes out humble has a 41 book bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-wars-legends-myths-and-high-republic-books

Those are almost all "Scholastic book fair" level YA books, like 175-200 pages long.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars Outlaws looks great! I want to be very positive on the game, and so far I dont really see any reason to not be positive. I will say this though; UBISoft has a big time history of showing trailers that look so much better than their final release. Expect the graphic fidelity to not be nearly as good looking.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I gotta disagree with the thread sentiment. To my eye, that video was almost as scripted as the cinematic trailer, sometimes blatantly so. Even from a 'This is what we what gameplay to feel like, but we're not there yet' perspective it wasn't encouraging.

-A stealth section where it didnt really matter, didnt accomplish anything and they just got into a firefight anyway (except now they're in the low ground)
-Fight some guy with a shield that stops your blaster bolts. Solution: Press a button on your blaster to shoot it with different blaster bolts. These bolts dont work on regular enemies tho.
-Shoot some barrels
-Steal a blaster rifle, which they don't do anything at all with except shoot another barrel. The enemies all kindly stop shooting while the character stands out of cover.
-A dramatic escape with blaster fire everywhere, which wouldn't actually happen because its an Ubisoft game and the players will just stay there and win the firefight so they can get their (Blaster Part +2)s and (Pyke Syndicate Medallion)s.
-Escaping on your swoop bike, which turns into a dramatic chase only because they did a jump directly in front of some already-extant swoop bikes (gonna be very hard to pull off in an open world game) The swoop bikes threaten the player by getting in front and firing backwards, which... the player could just turn around? Or turn to the side... if there was anything but this one long road with no alternative paths. Open world chase sequences are actually a tough gameplay problem for several reasons, and what they show off here kinda looks like it'll break, easily.
-The player is now wanted by the imperials, although the ship is parked 10 feet away and noone tries to stop her from getting to it so *shrug*
-Overly long leave atmosphere sequence. Noone wants this - see Mass Effect: Andromeda.
-Space sequence. Nothing really against this except its very scripted again. In an actual game you can't rely on players not looking at where the fighters pop out for the 'no fighters on scan' quip. Their later inconvenience relies on ships popping out of hyperspace right in front of them. Which i suppose could actually be done in gameplay - if awkwardly, if the player has full freedom - so, fair.

:same: It did give me a very Uncharted feel, if that makes sense.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
in fairness, uncharted is just indiana jones, which is just han solo, which is star wars

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The game looks incredible visually and has some really solid character design work (the axolotl alien, commando droid in a trench coat, the mon cal mob boss) , I'll give em a pass on their gameplay fantasy being obviously scripted. Jedi Survivor and Fallen order gameplay was not necessarily "super awesome" but the lovingly crafted world and characters and story elevate the game because its fucken star wars. Day 1 IMO. Honestly had the team that made the Division just put as much detail into a new york city sized subsection of a random star wars world and we just played star wars division in it I'd be in. The Division's graphics and how crazily rendered NYC turned out was just bonkers and helped elevate the otherwise so so gameplay and item loop.

Commando droid in a trench coat, my god. The Jedi Survivor droid enemies were already crazy good. I laugh every time I hear them talk. I hope ND is well written!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'd be more positive on any of this if either of the EA star wars games you mentioned were functioning products on release rather than absolute messes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It looks like I expected it to from Jedi: Survivor.

But that's also just what open world loot and shoot games are now, so :shrug: I guess.

Nothing groundbreaking, but a lot of fun to play.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seems like a missed opportunity to let use choose which little freaks we get to hang out with. The axolotl is cute, don't get me wrong, but I also want the option to have a nasty little Salacious B. Crumb running around to do my dirty work. And I like my droids to be weird hosed up little guys with nozzles, not human-shaped boring dudes

e: let me hang out with this creep

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 13, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

-Shoot some barrels

I mean, it was clearly a story mission, which nearly every open world game has (last 2 Zelda games notwithstanding), and those are always scripted, because otherwise you can't have a story at all (almost no one praises the last two Zelda games for their stories). I'm hoping for another gameplay video later that shows off just loving around in the world galaxy, but that was never going to be the first gameplay video they released. "Welcome to the world of Star Wars Outlaws! We're very excited to show you what we've created! Here we are...shooting our 37th womprat." For sure, that's what I'll spend a ton of time doing, but they've gotta draw people in with the dramatic stuff first.

Escaping from the Empire here did seem super easy, I'll give you that, but this is probably the first mission of the game, so meant to teach you the mechanics.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same: It did give me a very Uncharted feel, if that makes sense.

Jedi: Outcast and Survivor are the Uncharted like games. And I don't mean that as a bad thing, really, but those games (especially the first one, I'm barely into the second one) are extremely Uncharted.

fartknocker posted:

EDIT: Didn't see it mentioned on here yet, but the website for the game says its set between ESB and RotJ. IIRC, there's still supposed to be about a year between those movies even in the Disney canon.

Makes sense, since we see frozen Han presumably being brought into Jabba's palace. And yeah, it's a year, and a year is longer than a lot of games take place during, so that's plenty of time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder if it'll be set before, during, or after the whole Crimson Dawn vs the Empire affair; CD agents were crawling out of the woodwork to mess with the Empire (within and without), so what better time to do some outlawing stuff

If anyone says "Await the Dawn", shoot 'em

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder if it'll be set before, during, or after the whole Crimson Dawn vs the Empire affair; CD agents were crawling out of the woodwork to mess with the Empire (within and without), so what better time to do some outlawing stuff

If anyone says "Await the Dawn", shoot 'em

It apparently takes place between ESB and ROTJ.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can forgive a lot (Star Wars: Galaxies) if the development team has their heart in the right place because I'll probably enjoy the overall experience of the game.
If this is just Far Cry in Star Wars, I'll be happy. I guess I'm easier to please than a lot of people and I just want to do my own Star Wars head cannon most of the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tadashi posted:

I can forgive a lot (Star Wars: Galaxies) if the development team has their heart in the right place because I'll probably enjoy the overall experience of the game.
If this is just Far Cry in Star Wars, I'll be happy. I guess I'm easier to please than a lot of people and I just want to do my own Star Wars head cannon most of the time.

This really feels more like from what I'm seeing and reading is going to be an attempt at RDR Star Wars.

edit: Probably more RDR1 than RDR2, as RDR2 is just a loving tour de force of meticulous and often unfun detail.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

3 Action Economist posted:

It apparently takes place between ESB and ROTJ.

As does the vast majority of Crimson Dawn's activities

Who knows, maybe we'll get to see the Knights of Ren, Aphra, and Ochi (of Bestoon!)

There's potential for a lot of comic characters to show up here, depending on where the various quests take the story, which means a lot of players are going to be incredibly confused

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've cleverly avoided playing any open world RPGs except for Zelda for over a decade. That means that, assuming it's a solid game, I will purchase it and marvel at all of the incredible things that are boring, overdone, and rote to y'all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

I've cleverly avoided playing any open world RPGs except for Zelda for over a decade. That means that, assuming it's a solid game, I will purchase it and marvel at all of the incredible things that are boring, overdone, and rote to y'all.

There's gonna be a lot more talking than you're used to.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Your map will be blanked out and you値l have to climb a tower, push a button, soaring music will play and you値l get a sweeping panorama view around the hero and then a portion of the map will become clear and a million icons will pop up with stuff to do.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cartoon Man posted:

and a million icons will pop up with stuff to do.

None of them fun

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Cartoon Man posted:

Your map will be blanked out and you値l have to climb a tower, push a button, soaring music will play and you値l get a sweeping panorama view around the hero and then a portion of the map will become clear and a million icons will pop up with stuff to do.

I will accept this if they make it "Press X to send out probe droids."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ungulateman posted:

i'd be more positive on any of this if either of the EA star wars games you mentioned were functioning products on release rather than absolute messes

No way, Jedi Survivor did have big time frame rate issues, but otherwise the game was perfect in all other aspects.