Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
first you make it good for the users to capture a userbase

then you make it good for the people who do business on it

then you run that poo poo into the ground for both groups and make out like a bandit

it’s called enshittification and it’s on purpose

saved from the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

The Voice of Labor posted:

reddit, where a sub for photos of sexy 13 y/os can be the most popular sub but where you can't say that slave owners should die without catching a ban

remember the human

Thank gently caress I think they banned the most egregious examples of that, but it’s also hilarious that they’re going to be going public as a company that must therefore increase in value, presumably through ads, and the concept is still, like, “here’s the section of our site about video games, here’s the section of our site about cute cats, here’s the section of our site about bukakke, here’s the section of our site about alt-right bullshit, here’s the part of our site about cars…”

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
lol forever if both reddit and twitter poo poo themselves and die before something awful does

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Trump bought Twitter because he wanted to make a fascism.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

teemolover42069 posted:

lol forever if both reddit and twitter poo poo themselves and die before something awful does

Yes it will be awesome for two of the most used places for worker unity being destroyed.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Toxic Mental posted:

I guess reddit is willing to sacrifice the blind screenreader demographic in favor of the "people who can actually see ads" demographic

I see what u did there :owned:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

GolfHole posted:

tech sites never made money to begin with
only ads make money
third-party apps dont pay ad revenue to the parent company

theres nothing more to it folks

There are solutions to this beyond outright killing 3rd party apps. Reddit already has a premium tier that lets you browse ad-free, restrict apps to that. Or charge them, but allow them the same access to content as the 1st party app and let them make up the revenue themselves via their own ads or subscriptions. Pricing high, restricting the content you can see even if you somehow stomach the ridiculous prices, and then limiting your customers' ability to make up the cost themselves is literally the worst of all possible worlds.

Reddit's management is simultaneously claiming, "3rd party apps cost us so much to support booo we're losing ad revenue from so many useeeeers" while at the same time saying, "we don't think the impact of killing 3rd party apps will be that bad, only a small minority of users use them". Which is it? Are they a material threat to your business and profitability, or are you kicking up a big, public shitstorm over a tiny percentage of your user base right before an IPO?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Phat Phingers posted:

A part of me is happy because some unsufferable Reddit mods may disappear, but another part of me is unhappy because Reddit is actually a decent site (majority of the time) and a LOT of good content & subs may go missing.

There really has been a serious trend of a corporations making websites worse... but why? If it aint broke, don't fix it.

wait is that the jailbait subreddit i heard about years ago? There's no way that was the most popular sub... right??? also funny enough story, I went to voat (reddit "alternative", read: another neo nazi enclave) out of curiosity around that time and lo and behold they had the jailbait sub front and center. pedocon theory never fails i tell you

About 10-12 years ago it was the main draw to the site. It finally was taken down when Goons started organizing a campaign on these here forums to get press releases out. Days after that the Anderson Cooper story broke.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

How does SA even stay open this long? I would imagine that new :10bux: spenders are few and far between, this place is definitely back in the corner of the internet compared to what it was like 10+ years ago.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

hello internet posted:

How does SA even stay open this long? I would imagine that new :10bux: spenders are few and far between, this place is definitely back in the corner of the internet compared to what it was like 10+ years ago.

People getting riled up and buying other people avatars

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

From the looks of the leper colony Driftingmouse reregs are paying for a significant portion of the upkeep.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

teemolover42069 posted:

the forums shall be the henry kissinger of social media

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

feverish and oversexed posted:

who else is back because of it lol

Yep

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hello internet posted:

ads dude. it's always ads

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hello internet posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019306

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bonzo posted:

About 10-12 years ago it was the main draw to the site. It finally was taken down when Goons started organizing a campaign on these here forums to get press releases out. Days after that the Anderson Cooper story broke.

It was never the main draw of the site, by any metric. They weren't refusing to remove it because it was just that popular, they were refusing to remove it because an admin was a mod there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hello internet posted:

It turns out it’s fairly easy to keep a webforums afloat when you arent on the hook for billions of dollars of future profit to investors and don’t need to pay an entire C-suite of lovely tech executives to sit around and pretend to be useful

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

hello internet posted:

It doesn't cost a whole lot to keep running despite what the former fearless leader told everyone

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

This is a good read. Thanks

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Reddit already has a premium tier that lets you browse ad-free, restrict apps to that.

It does? Reddit is truly terrible at monetizing Reddit, holy poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

Would be real enlightening to see these mega social apps actually die. All the offshoot ones don't seem popular at all so I'm guessing social media will just wither to nothing.

Which means forums are back babbbbyyyy cash money cash we're all gonna be riiichhh

Gonna cash out my 401k and put it all into forum upgrades and burner accounts.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I only really started redditing after a SCI led to a mental breakdown. So the traditional path to becoming a redditor I guess. I never really "left" SA but, I just moved into lurking mode. Popped in from time to time to laugh at coiners / star citizens.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Great article but

the article posted:

I just handed Twitter $8 for Twitter Blue, because the company has strongly implied that it will only show the things I post to the people who asked to see them if I pay ransom money.

lmao what a sucker

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yes it will be awesome for two of the most used places for worker unity being destroyed.

I just said I would laugh, forever. i didn't say it was awesome (it is awesome)

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Instead of sticking it to the app developers they could have simply said that if you want to use a 3rd party app you have to be subscribed to their gold/platinum/whatever tier of paid sub. That way they can weaponize their lovely web and app UI into a profit.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

I had just assumed this place was slowly crumbling, but that’s a lot of love and care put into keeping it running and maintainable. Good to see.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spouse posted:

It does? Reddit is truly terrible at monetizing Reddit, holy poo poo.

Yep, it's honestly baffling. If they had just said, "hey we're losing ad revenue on third-party apps; if you want to use them, you'll have to pay up the $6/month fee," I would gladly have paid it; but there's no way in hell I'm going to switch to their horrible first-party app. Equally baffling is that in the last few years, they went from ~400 employees (2019) to over 2000. If you want to look for a source of profitability problems, maybe that's where to look? It's not like users are clamouring for all kinds of new features that you need heaps and heaps of devs for. It could be mostly keeping the lights on.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Equally baffling is that in the last few years, they went from ~400 employees (2019) to over 2000. If you want to look for a source of profitability problems, maybe that's where to look?

They just rif'd 5% of their workforce a week ago (or announced it at least)

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

reddit? more like deaddit lmao owned

lol

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

this is the first time in my life i have seen reddit described as a platform used for worker unity

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

cum calamity posted:

this is the first time in my life i have seen reddit described as a platform used for worker unity

I am an aviation industry related union shop steward and organizer and this gave me a good hearty lol I’ll be honest and attributing anything regarding worker unity to them is… interesting. In practice it’s the source of a bunch of failed general strike attempts because people seem to think if they just share an image that says when the general strike is on Reddit that it’ll be a thing we are all gonna just hop straight into

I agree somewhat with the sentiment of r/antiwork but if you read it for a few mins it’s a bunch of people who are massively deluded into thinking the end of capitalism is also the end of work

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
you know when people get angry at whatever new CoD is coming out and all say they're going to boycott it, only to all be playing it 2 days later? That's what's happening with reddit

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

People getting riled up and buying other people avatars

The urge to troll has been directed to a few acceptable outlets and monetized.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

you know when people get angry at whatever new CoD is coming out and all say they're going to boycott it, only to all be playing it 2 days later? That's what's happening with reddit

/r/videos Mods said they will remain dark for as long as it takes. But even they admit they'll likely just have their accounts suspended and it'll be back.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

/r/videos Mods said they will remain dark for as long as it takes. But even they admit they'll likely just have their accounts suspended and it'll be back.

or someone else will just make videos2 and everyone will move there

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!

Bonzo posted:

jesus. it's a sick world out there.

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Reddit is useful if you think of all the megathreads in videogames, and see how they have ballooned over time. It get really hard to follow stuff of that size, especially if you are only looking for quick answers to issues about dialog options or bugs and don't want to wait for something you are pretty sure was answered elsewhere.

So now say the xenoblade megathreads over the years translated to reddit would be shattered into all these various discussions that are easily accessible via searching the subreddit or google. For Q&A and other things like "what does this status effect do exactly?" Its useful.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
I’m itchy where’s the flashlight subforum. All my hobbies require external validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cellular Suicide posted:

I’m itchy where’s the flashlight subforum. All my hobbies require external validation.

Debate & Discussion.

...Oh, you said FLASHlight. I dunno, sorry.