Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

Dug up a few old ISW dailies if anyone wants a refresher on the vibes way back when the western tanks announced:
https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-8-2023
https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-25-2023

If ISW is too think-tankery, there's always 19FortyFive for laymen hype:
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/03/putin-is-mad-poland-to-send-more-leopard-2-tanks-to-ukraine/
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/06/the-m1-abrams-tank-is-a-battlefield-warrior/
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/06/challenger-2-the-tank-putins-forces-in-ukraine-should-fear/

Hype crew and think-tanks definitely believe(d) that it's through positive KDR that it's what makes small deliveries of western wunderwaffen impressive instead of being equipment that the west can sustain and manufacture in bulk.

Lmao, at Poland's play though. Respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hasn't Turkey closed the Dardenells to all warships? How would any German warships reach Ukraine, or are they going to be doing commerce raiding in the Baltic?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they call their webpage “undersrandingwar.org”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

isn't this just an egregore? The egregore of western chauvinism.

There's even a wikipedia page for it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_international_order

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Hasn't Turkey closed the Dardenells to all warships? How would any German warships reach Ukraine, or are they going to be doing commerce raiding in the Baltic?

just float them down the danube bing bong so simple

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

I watched enough Gundam Wing to know that Leos are gonna blow up if you so much as look at em funny

They only work properly when piloted by one of the named characters.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

OctaMurk posted:

iirc tanks spend the vast majority of time shooting at non-tanks and I think most tank losses are from things other than tanks, yet the discussion keep getting framed around the superiority of this sides tanks over that sides tanks

Deadliest Warrior episode but instead of an epic duel one of the tanks just blows up as it drives into frame

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

tazjin posted:

it's not limited to arising from thought specifically (he has a cool theoretical example of a gas giant becoming sentient), but it's similar. also similar to some interpretations of the concept of mollokh.

The problem with these ideas is that there is no evidence of where consciousness comes from. Maybe it arises from complex systems, but that's just a guess.

Frosted Flake posted:

The Ukrainians have been lobbying Germany specifically extremely hard for surface warships and submarines. The Ukrainian Navy just lost its last surface vessel a week or so ago, a landing craft that had been hiding in rivers but was caught docked in Odessa. That's neither here nor there. The basic point is that the plan is fanciful in the extreme and I don't see a way for Ukraine to be gifted warships that's not, in effect, a German declaration of war. Most relevantly, Germany is not connected to the Black Sea, so a "Ukrainian" warship would be operating from a German port to operate in the Baltic or White Sea.

Of the various diplomatic and media campaigns, for Leopards, for F-16, this one has the least viability and the least traction, but Ukraine's strategy of trying to bully/lobby allies is one of the most unexpected developments of this war imo.

Wouldn't be the first time Germany has transshipped war ships to the black sea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Raine posted:

Deadliest Warrior episode but instead of an epic duel one of the tanks just blows up as it drives into frame

pretty good.

It wouldn't surprise me even a little if there aren't tanker crews out there right now who could say they've blown up a bunch of enemy, been severely damaged or bailed themselves a time or three, and also they've never actually seen an enemy tank.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

not the ufo thread

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Weka posted:

The problem with these ideas is that there is no evidence of where consciousness comes from. Maybe it arises from complex systems, but that's just a guess.

The consciousness arises from the people in US government. They say "jump" and then nobody even bothers to ask how high.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Lostconfused posted:

They only work properly when piloted by one of the named characters.

it also works in reverse, like when Trowa destroys Gundam Deathscythe in a single shot with a Taurus flashlight after it spent half the series shrugging off gunfire from every possible source

Gundam Wing relies so hard on plot armor that it's generally the thing people remember the most about the show in one way or another.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You could also argue that the system is too stupid.

Only what anyone in US thinks matters. All the other members of the western financial bloc just do as they're told and don't even think for themselves. So the system is very complicated but it lacks feedback mechanisms for survival.

Like German industrial sector getting destroyed. Sure it's good for the US, but it's hardly good for NATO on the global stage when their manufacturing capacity is inadequate for the war they're fighting.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Weka posted:

my personal view is that consciousness is an "outside of universe" phenomenon, an observer type thing, call it god if you want, but in-universe the distinction between an intelligent agent that's acting with/without sentience is purely theoretical.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

V. Illych L. posted:

the head of mondelez in norway is having official meetings with the government over this lol

Mondelez is a stupid as hell name anyway. They should have stayed Kraft Foods or whatever normal sounding thing it was

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

the head of mondelez in norway is having official meetings with the government over this lol

he should kneel before the norwegian king imo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

Mondelez is a stupid as hell name anyway. They should have stayed Kraft Foods or whatever normal sounding thing it was

better or worse than Bimbo?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

NATO and the Western bloc being dominated by USA is the inherent weakness in it.

Because it will always be forced to act in the interests of USA.

The argument that "NATO is USA" is stupid and you can easily see that by comparing the size of NATO to the size of USA.

The weakness is that USA can and does act in selfish interest that might be good for it but harmful for the rest of the members, or even just some of the members. This obviously happens in other social structures. It's the tragedy of the commons except it's the tragedy of nato.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

nato my dix

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I had an art store owner recently explain to me that they don't carry kolinsky sable brushes because they come from Russian mink

I didn't have the patience to explain that weasels do not participate in global geopolitical conflict or that other places in Europe raise these mink for the brush trade

I just ordered paintbrushes online instead

These people are weird and dumb and it fucks me up a lot how weird and dumb they can get

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

US benefiting by weakening NATO is a problem if a similar opposing bloc can form, or if just China on its own can challenge NATO.

NATO can obviously counteract that by expanding even more. But then we end up where we are right now and everyone is gambling on Russia collapsing and being re integrated into the NATO bloc as a subservient junior partner.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
otan gets involved in ukraine like this
but
nato gets involved in ukraine like this

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

comedy option: get all the shittiest European states into NATO and then quit the Alliance as a goof

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I think that is the answer as to what is the purpose of NATO after the fall of USSR.

Dominated by US it is inherently self destructive, and needs to keep expanding. So the purpose is to consume and expand.

It might have transformed into something more stable with EU forming a counterweight to US interests within NATO, but that didn't happen.

Edit: It is effectively US capitalism expanding but driven entirely by the military industrial complex.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jun 12, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I had an art store owner recently explain to me that they don't carry kolinsky sable brushes because they come from Russian mink

I didn't have the patience to explain that weasels do not participate in global geopolitical conflict or that other places in Europe raise these mink for the brush trade

I just ordered paintbrushes online instead

These people are weird and dumb and it fucks me up a lot how weird and dumb they can get

they banned Russian cats too https://www.npr.org/2022/03/03/1084205316/russian-cats-banned-international-competition

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

in London they renamed the street of the Russian embassy from Bayswater Road to Kyiv Road. reminds me of when they renamed French Street in Istanbul to Algeria Street lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

in London they renamed the street of the Russian embassy from Bayswater Road to Kyiv Road. reminds me of when they renamed French Street in Istanbul to Algeria Street lol

Well now Russia has no choice except to rename Kyiv to Kiev.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oh wow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streets_renamed_due_to_the_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol there is some good stuff in here

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

it's missing the ones in Russia, for example the new address of the American embassy in Moscow is "площадь Донецкой Народной Республики, 1с1" (Donetsk People's Republic square 1)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
reddit rear end war lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

lol there is some good stuff in here

lol

quote:

Mayakovsky Street Boris Johnson Street
Karl Marx Street Johann Wolfgang Goethe Street
Karl Marx Street Oleksiy Kurinny Street
Bagrationa Street Maksym Levin Street

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In short Gorbachev is a loving moron and should have hanged like the treacherous dog that he is.

At least he got to see the consequences of his fecklessnes.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Jun 12, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Can't wait for someone to rename this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_River_(California)

or this lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastopol,_California

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

knocking down statues of Zhukov to own the ruskies

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://www.ksro.com/2022/03/10/local-symbolically-renames-russian-river-amidst-war-in-ukraine

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Starsfan posted:

Makes sense, figure out wherever the Russians haven't had time to fortify (in this case the Donbas because they've been moving forward there over the past few months) and that's where you attack.

The running tens of thousands of men into a minefield and the most extensive field fortification network that has existed since the Maginot line isn't working very well so far, time to switch things up.

Speaking of funny lessons from history one of the more laughable ones that certain people seem to grasp onto is the idea that the Maginot line proved that defensive lines were pointless and could easily be crushed by the right application of maneuver warfare. Like there were people who were predicting success in the counter offensive specifically because Russia had created these cowardly trench lines which I guess showed that they were still stuck in 20th century mindset and weren't mentally equipped to fight the Ukrainians and their brilliant modern form of warfare - static defense vs. blitzkrieg.. Ukraine will just identify the weak points in the line, thrust through with their tanks and then they'll be in the rear of the Russian forces and the entire line will collapse. Turns out the it's not so obvious how to overcome this kind of defensive line in real life, or if it is obvious to some people the means to do so are completely out of the reach of the Ukrainians.

This is what happens when we let Nazis shape our understanding of World War II

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just lazily rename it the Rushin' River

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

NATO and the Western bloc being dominated by USA is the inherent weakness in it.

The argument that "NATO is USA" is stupid and you can easily see that by comparing the size of NATO to the size of USA.

The weakness is that USA can and does act in selfish interest that might be good for it but harmful for the rest of the members, or even just some of the members. This obviously happens in other social structures. It's the tragedy of the commons except it's the tragedy of nato.

syq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused posted: