Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Got the job in no small part due to this thread's Hot Tips, so thanks y'all :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shame Boy posted:

Got the job in no small part due to this thread's Hot Tips, so thanks y'all :toot:

Nice W2G!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I had a third round interview today. I don't feel it went great, but I don't think it went bad. The big issue was the CFO had a very thick french accent. That threw me off a bit because, in all seriousness, I had trouble understanding him at times. He also had a lot of questions and spoke rather fast so I had trouble where I was both trying to understand him and prepare my response at the same time. I also didn't give the best answers. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep last night because of the smoke affecting New York. It made it hard to breath so I was awake until about 6am and only got 4 hours of sleep. Funny enough, I just remembered I own an air purifier which would have been clutch yesterday. I also feel into a trap. He asked if I was more autonomous and independent. And when I said "yes," he said "oh you don't need a boss." I double backed and basically explained I tried to complete my task without causing issues for others and trying to ensure as little work goes "uphill" so as to not overburden my superiors. Also, I flubbed a bit when trying to explain that I knew what the company did. I had researched on the website and spoke with the people in prior interviews, but I thought they manufacture the parts. Apparently, they just distribute and a sister company actually manufactures. I was never told about all the sister companies in the prior interview so I missed that part. Also, I think rambled a few times because the CFO cut me off a bit. At the end, it turned out we had gone over and he was late for a meeting so that probably wasn't good.

Otherwise, they sounded nice. Your classic "it's quiet in the middle of the month but busy at the end and beginning" think with a "we are trying to grow our staff because we are stretched a bit thin" that everyone seems to be nowadays. And they seemed fine with my salary range. Plus, a good benefits package from what I saw: 401k, 401k matching, health, vision, dental, etc. I haven't seen their PTO policy yet, but the office is 10 minutes from my house in light traffic so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shame Boy posted:

Hey, kudos! I hope you love the new place! Best of luck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shame Boy posted:

hell yeah brother

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hell yeah brother

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
An artist friend of mine is thinking of applying for some 2D illustrator art jobs in the game industry and haven't written a resume before; they sent me their first attempt and I'm very concerned for them. Does anyone have any redacted sample 2D artist resumes they can post or send me to send to my friend to help them rewrite or reformat their resume? Their art is very good, especially for the games industry but my only experience with my resume was for the tech/game industry as a developer.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

An artist friend of mine is thinking of applying for some 2D illustrator art jobs in the game industry and haven't written a resume before; they sent me their first attempt and I'm very concerned for them. Does anyone have any redacted sample 2D artist resumes they can post or send me to send to my friend to help them rewrite or reformat their resume? Their art is very good, especially for the games industry but my only experience with my resume was for the tech/game industry as a developer.

The portfolio is going to be much more important there, and getting someone to look at your resume in the first place. The game industry gets flooded with applicants, especially for artist roles.

For bigger game studios, most places do the same first pass of automated and then HR person who knows basically nothing about the role besides the job listing of filtering on resumes. This matches basically any other job, and general resume writing rules apply.

For indie and small scale professional studios, it's often going to be more about knowing people there already. For roles at those studios, a strong twitter, instagram, and other social media presence can go a long way. Local meetups can also be really helpful here, talk to people to find out about job openings before they open, find people who really want those $1,000 to $5,000 referral bonuses.

Breaking into games it's really going to be a numbers game. Before I got my first job in games in 2005, I spent 2004 applying to probably something like 50 studios a month, and it took me roughly 10 months to get a job in games doing that. I had set my goal that year to 100 job search related things, so initial application, phone screen, interview, etc counted toward that goal of 100.

I know you said you wanted resume advice here, but the resume almost doesn't matter for that role, it's really the portfolio that matters.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Just wanted to thank you guys for being a really cool, generally supportive bunch. Reading this thread really helped keep the mindset positive, not just the responses to my post but the whole atmosphere in general. Just signed my contract and for my relocation package, so I'm off for the wilderness where plague inc has taught me I'll be safe from whatever befalls the world in the next few years this summer. Thanks guys.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I got promoted to a new position that was just created for me. My old entry level role has been completely repurposed to a different role, and my new role is basically a continuation of my old job plus a few extra duties (I handle inbound sales now for example). How do I add this information to my resume? I've been at my new role for about 2 months, but I've had my old role for about a year.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bioshuffle posted:

I got promoted to a new position that was just created for me. My old entry level role has been completely repurposed to a different role, and my new role is basically a continuation of my old job plus a few extra duties (I handle inbound sales now for example). How do I add this information to my resume? I've been at my new role for about 2 months, but I've had my old role for about a year.

I like
Company A [start-end date], larger font
Current title [start to end]
Old Title [start to end]

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bioshuffle posted:

Just show it the same as a straight promotion and articulate the new duties in particular. You can get into the finer details in an interview.

Your resume should really be more oriented to accomplishments and less about describing the role anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd just list it as the higher role and if people query the lack of entry level experience in an interview you explain it as you did here: "They hired me for <role> but realised after <time> that they actually needed <role++> and since I was handling that great they decided to just promote me in-place and hire a new junior for <role>".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd just list it as the higher role and if people query the lack of entry level experience in an interview you explain it as you did here: "They hired me for <role> but realised after <time> that they actually needed <role++> and since I was handling that great they decided to just promote me in-place and hire a new junior for <role>".

Counter to that is showing promotions within an organization is a positive. It looks better if I see you got promoted 1-2 times in 5 years vs just stayed at the same title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah always show progressive growth on the resume if you can.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

The portfolio is going to be much more important there, and getting someone to look at your resume in the first place. The game industry gets flooded with applicants, especially for artist roles.

For bigger game studios, most places do the same first pass of automated and then HR person who knows basically nothing about the role besides the job listing of filtering on resumes. This matches basically any other job, and general resume writing rules apply.

For indie and small scale professional studios, it's often going to be more about knowing people there already. For roles at those studios, a strong twitter, instagram, and other social media presence can go a long way. Local meetups can also be really helpful here, talk to people to find out about job openings before they open, find people who really want those $1,000 to $5,000 referral bonuses.

Breaking into games it's really going to be a numbers game. Before I got my first job in games in 2005, I spent 2004 applying to probably something like 50 studios a month, and it took me roughly 10 months to get a job in games doing that. I had set my goal that year to 100 job search related things, so initial application, phone screen, interview, etc counted toward that goal of 100.

I know you said you wanted resume advice here, but the resume almost doesn't matter for that role, it's really the portfolio that matters.

So a few things. My friend is foreign and lives in a foreign country, so networking isn't really an option the same way it is in the North American market; or won't help them apply to the specific studio they want to apply to.

Which of course is the other thing they're wanting to apply to a studio in another country that put up a job notice. I feel like at a minimum their resume should be in its best possible state to ensure their best foot forward and maximize their chances; even if most likely it won't be a factor; but just in case that it is? I just want to help them and make sure they give it their best shot, and improving their resume is the lowest hanging fruit currently as their portfolio I think is good.

My current assessment is I think, as its their first time using google docs and using the formatting features, my concern is the current state of their resume could very well hurt them and I'd feel better if it was at least clean and gives the information in the best possible light.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Counter to that is showing promotions within an organization is a positive. It looks better if I see you got promoted 1-2 times in 5 years vs just stayed at the same title

This is it. It's also why I always laughed at those overnight tech bros during the pandemic who ran around social media encouraging people to "job hop" increase your salary. Because those same guys suddenly shut up when the post-COVID tech layoffs kicked in.

Aside from exceptional circumstances job hopping is always a red flag to recruiters and showing progression is always looked upon favourably.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 10, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

melon cat posted:

This is it. It's also why I always laughed at those overnight tech bros during the pandemic who ran around social media encouraging people to "job hop" increase your salary. Because those same guys suddenly shut up when the post-COVID tech layoffs kicked in.

Aside from exceptional circumstances job hopping is always a red flag to recruiters and showing progression is always looked upon favourably.

Pre-pandemic the frequent tech job hopping was a thing, it wasn't new for the pandemic. I just left a big tech job for a game job. In big tech, ~5 years at one company in big tech was considered a long time. My nearly 10 years of time there was very rare. This is specifically for the part of the tech world that's a lot of web development, where projects tend to average roughly 12 months. So even 2 years at a company like that could be two projects from inception to launch.

I think a lot of the time the pay hikes were overstated or not fully explained. It's way easier to jump up a job level by changing jobs instead of getting promoted. So people who were functionally executing at the next job level were better off swapping jobs instead of waiting much longer for a promotion. That was definitely true of where I was at in my previous role. There's also definitely a sort of ladder of pay in tech, so for some people the job hopping is working up to the higher paying places, but if you're already at the top of the pay scale it won't do anything for you.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

Pre-pandemic the frequent tech job hopping was a thing, it wasn't new for the pandemic. I just left a big tech job for a game job. In big tech, ~5 years at one company in big tech was considered a long time. My nearly 10 years of time there was very rare. This is specifically for the part of the tech world that's a lot of web development, where projects tend to average roughly 12 months. So even 2 years at a company like that could be two projects from inception to launch.

I think you're right about this, but I also want to point out that I did emphasize that job hopping only works to your benefit in exceptional circumstances. And working in tech is what I would consider to be an exceptional circumstance because most workers across the country do not work in tech. Meanwhile you had a bunch of people on social media who just got hired at a new tech job for barely a couple months telling everyone the benefits of job hopping, irrespective of industry. It is bad advice. Because I can guarantee you that in most industries outside of tech job hopping is not looked upon favorably.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It depends what exactly job hopping means. Changing employers every 2-3 years is a normal thing ambitious, achieving people do, because it's usually easier to get promoted by jumping to a new company than within the same one. A pattern of a new job every year is a red flag, though.

Sticking around with one company trying to climb the ladder is a sucker's game at 95% of companies.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I also wouldn't hold most dumb resume poo poo against people since March 2020. I've heard so many people worry about gaps on their resume, and I've even heard people mention seeing gaps from 2020 onward on resumes when reviewing them, and it's like... did you already forget about the pandemic?

I already thought the resume gap thing was bullshit and hosed up. Sometimes it's tough for people to find a relevant role, sometimes other circumstances in their life they might not want to discuss when job hunting prevented them from doing relevant work.

Even right now, I'm hearing a lot of friends struggle to find work again due to the massive layoffs hitting everywhere. I'm fortunate that my primary industry seems to handle recessions pretty well. When money gets tight, people tend to cut entertainment spending to higher value choices and games are often a better $/hour ratio than movies, books, live entertainment, etc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I had barely worked about 3 months at my current job when a place I had applied at finally got around to contacting me. I did the interview and passed their technical assessment for ego reasons because I kinda like doing well on those, like me that exam dopamine. But had to decline the offer as I felt that it'd look really bad on me to ditch them after 3 months. Also it would involve moving between cities again which was expensive and didn't want to do that again so soon.

I think on some level I've internalized that it probably looks better to stay at one place a while before changing jobs, I'm not sure how long is good before its clear that someone is changing jobs for a very reasonable "Just wanted a change, been there a while and wasn't really growing professionally" etc, currently I'm 3 years now at my current place. I don't really feel the motivation to change jobs because I'm already paid pretty good and there's good work-life balance where there's no crunch or overtime despite being a game industry adjacent gameplay developer sort of job.

Honestly I think my goal is rather to not have to work a job ever again whenever I can make a indie game project of mine finally work out for me.

Like what good is say, a job where I maybe make a lot more money but then I might suddenly have to work a hell of a lot harder?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You get one quick job-hop per decade without raising eyebrows/your resume failing screening. Use it wisely--it's usually best to save it in case you take a new job and discover immediately that it's a shithole quagmire/your new boss is a narcissist maniac. But if someone makes you a blow-me-away offer right after you've started a new job, by all means, jump. Sometimes a bridge is worth burning. Rare, but possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I don't think the company in question was offering me a particularly amazing offer, it might've been comparable but not really worth it to switch cities again so soon.

One thing I gotta say actually having a job, or two jobs in a row for like 3 years each seems to have done wonders for my percieved hirability! I'm constantly getting emailed or messaged by recruiters on LinkedIn and I have such mixed feelings! WHERE WERE YOU FUCKS WHEN I NEEDED YOU!? :haw:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing I gotta say actually having a job, or two jobs in a row for like 3 years each seems to have done wonders for my percieved hirability! I'm constantly getting emailed or messaged by recruiters on LinkedIn and I have such mixed feelings! WHERE WERE YOU FUCKS WHEN I NEEDED YOU!? :haw:
Steady job tenures are exactly what most companies are looking for.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 10, 2024

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I often wonder how my resumé looks to other people in terms of jumpiness.

It’s basically:
Biglaw firm: 2 years
Other Biglaw: 3 years
Other other Biglaw: 4years
F500 corporate: 5 years, 2 promotions 2 side changes to do new stuff
Big tech: 3 years jr exec
Consulting (self owned company): 1 year. This was fun but terrifying and made like 30% of what I could earn as a wage slave.
Biglaw, business role: 11 months

And then I got my current job which is another exec role at another big tech co.

Based on the resumés I see for the roles I’m hiring for, a LOT of people have never done a job for more than 12-18 months. But that might be a tech thing? Whenever I used to talk to law firm recruiters or HR folks candidly, it’s clear they tried to screen out resumés that have not done the exact same thing for a long time and they preferred people who never changed company.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'm in my first job out of grad school since last July and not even close to being actually consistently productive, my boss basically said that the normal expectation is 1-2 years to get up to full speed in this role in general. Can't imagine how frequently job hopping possibly makes sense with that in mind.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beefeater1980 posted:

I often wonder how my resumé looks to other people in terms of jumpiness.

It’s basically:
Biglaw firm: 2 years
Other Biglaw: 3 years
Other other Biglaw: 4years
F500 corporate: 5 years, 2 promotions 2 side changes to do new stuff
Big tech: 3 years jr exec
Consulting (self owned company): 1 year. This was fun but terrifying and made like 30% of what I could earn as a wage slave.
Biglaw, business role: 11 months

And then I got my current job which is another exec role at another big tech co.

Based on the resumés I see for the roles I’m hiring for, a LOT of people have never done a job for more than 12-18 months. But that might be a tech thing? Whenever I used to talk to law firm recruiters or HR folks candidly, it’s clear they tried to screen out resumés that have not done the exact same thing for a long time and they preferred people who never changed company.

I hire lawyers paralegals etc. I’m assuming that’s in order from most recent to oldest. That’s pretty good consistency for a paralegal, okay for a lawyer post pandemic. Job hopping is strongly disfavored in this industry.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CarForumPoster posted:

I hire lawyers paralegals etc. I’m assuming that’s in order from most recent to oldest. That’s pretty good consistency for a paralegal, okay for a lawyer post pandemic. Job hopping is strongly disfavored in this industry.

Oldest to most recent. I was a lawyer and then I tried to do other fun stuff.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
At my current work I'm suspecting the reason why they're trying to roll out a shares based incentive system is because it feels like every so often someone is only there for a year before taking another offer. The incentives kinda suck though so I don't think it'll budge anyone, they're called "golden handcuffs" and the idea is if you are seen to have put in like 110% have worked for at least a year and then as long as you stay another five years you'll get shares but the shares only have value if the company ever gets sold? I'm unclear if there's dividends at regular intervals.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Oldest to most recent. I was a lawyer and then I tried to do other fun stuff.

Years of experience in BigLaw undersells the sheer volume of hours worked. Gotta apply dog year multipliers

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just took a risk. Remember the guy who was like "I hate people who discuss their salary with other people." I got the offer today and I rejected it outright saying I took another offer.

And that is a risk because an hour before the job I really wanted just rejected me for another candidate. While my mother was super, super, super angry at my trepidation and kept telling me to take the job, my gut said it was a bad fit and reddit, you guys, discord, my dad, my brother, and my recruiter literally just now (because I tell him about my other interviews) all said it was a bad idea. As my dad put it, he showed you his true colors and you should listen: it will just be a repeat of your last job. And my recruiter went "yeah, if he's already telling you stuff like that during the interview, then it's a disaster waiting to happen."

I really hope I didn't make a mistake, but I went with my gut. I am nervous, however. I only have one interview this week. It has kind of died down. According to my recruiter, he isn't too worried because said this year has been weird. There was a slow down during the bank failures. Then another slow down with the debt ceiling. He feels it should be fine, but also said the summer is generally a slower time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That wasn't a risk, taking the job would have been risking that maybe a guy who is acting like an rear end in a top hat wasn't really an rear end in a top hat. You took the smart move.

Btw, you don't need to justify why you don't take an offer. I woulda been honest but totally understand ducking confrontation for no good reason.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Covok posted:

the summer is generally a slower time.

To this specific point, like you pointed out this is a real weird year. A lot of places seem to be hoping the hiring freezes will let up for the summer. If that's true for even a portion of places under hiring freeze, then summer job openings might end up much higher than usual.

I think hiring is low in summer because a lot of places follow a simple cycle of: Request headcount end of Fall. Get approvals for headcount in Winter. Try to fill the headcount ASAP in early Spring for a bunch of reasons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

To this specific point, like you pointed out this is a real weird year. A lot of places seem to be hoping the hiring freezes will let up for the summer. If that's true for even a portion of places under hiring freeze, then summer job openings might end up much higher than usual.

I think hiring is low in summer because a lot of places follow a simple cycle of: Request headcount end of Fall. Get approvals for headcount in Winter. Try to fill the headcount ASAP in early Spring for a bunch of reasons.

Yeah, my recruiter said this year is just odd. He called it naivety that people were doing hiring freezes over the last 45 days. Because, as he put it, "I don't want to talk politics, but it's a little silly to think they would burn down the entire economy overnight." I think maybe he is a bit naive as poo poo like that has happened, but he says there was a slow down over the last 45 days that just started to pick up. That would make sense with when I finally started getting replies. My first wave of replies was atter the bank failure hiring freeze stoppee. My second wave will hopefully be now, after the debt ceiling eases up. He said he is certain there are more accounting jobs because there is a lot of talk of shortages. He said that weird think is more a miss-mash of talents. He said there are a lot more like people making 140k+ and sub 60k+ looking for new jobs and not a lot of the midtier. Which I do fall under the midteir which is why he wants to work with me since there is a lot of buzz in that tier atm. And there aren't a lot of work for either because "people above 140k kind of need to use connections and companies are still being very naivee and not being willing to take chances on people just out or college."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Another reason I like this guy? I mentioned my fear that I wasn't doing the best in interviews. His response: next virtual interview we setup, I'll sit in and observe and give you feedback. He also said i5 might not be me. Someone else was having a sinilar complaint and it turned out to be the clients being poo poo: the clients were showing up dishelved, unshaven, and having technical issues that made it hard to follow and the clients were blaming the candidate in the feedback.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, sorry to spam, but I just got a good offer!

It's 90k with a 10 minute commute. My choice of either 8 to 5, 9 to 6, or 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 if I skip lunch. I am getting the offer tonight. It's pending a drug and background check. I haven't done anything criminal so the background check should be fine. As for the drug test, I haven't done weed since early April. According to the job summary, it should have health, dental, vision, and 401k.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Some job sites will tell you how many people have applied to a given position and it's really, really discouraging sometimes. Kinda wish I could turn that off.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking the same thing earlier. I'm a strong candidate in any role I'd apply to, but with 200 applicants it's such a dice roll on whether my resume would even be seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

200 applicants usually just means 196 no-hopers

source: years of hiring