Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Sometimes I laugh a lot at horrifying graphs which is a form of hedonism I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Did Destro get ahold of the weather dominator again?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

hedonize properly: sex, drugs, alcohol, media

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the problem with reassuring people that there’s still something we can do is that it demotivates any willingness for change as evidenced by nothing changing right now while we are using that strategy. we shouldn’t be reassuring people

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yes we ~ could ~ totally do something about climate change but we could also do something about kindergartners being loving blown away in school and that's way easier and we won't even try.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

read it yet? because from the mention of the obama administration i would assume it's directly aimed at centrists and liberals who really want to hear that actually the truth is in the middle and everything is going to be fine without having to make any fundamental changes about anything
I have not because my appetite for dumb bullshit is not sufficient when it’s the written word. I’ll waste hours watching a bad movie or tv show but I don’t have the patience to read a book I know I’m gonna dislike from the start.

This review was enough for me to pass on it: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-new-book-manages-to-get-climate-science-badly-wrong/

Sounds like his thesis is: the science is still too uncertain so it doesn’t make sense to do anything yet from a risk management perspective. Strikes me as dumb as poo poo even on its face, cause the consequences of being wrong are so bad that it’s worth acting to mitigate the risk even if the uncertainty were still very high.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stereotype posted:

the problem with reassuring people that there’s still something we can do is that it demotivates any willingness for change as evidenced by nothing changing right now while we are using that strategy. we shouldn’t be reassuring people
there's not really a good way to appeal to everyone/power. either it's too far off and will be someone else's problem, or it's here now and it's too late so gently caress it. and power will always find a way to be comfortable, even if a couple get knocked off via climate or violence.

what will happen is that things will get catastrophic as a couple of major events happen in rapid succession, with some leading to long-term immediate shifts in population/consumption in the global north, and then things might start to happen quickly

but i'd bet on just lots of war

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Highways collapse all the time

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

Yes we ~ could ~ totally do something about climate change but we could also do something about kindergartners being loving blown away in school and that's way easier and we won't even try.
things like this, and the reaction to covid, are why i just don't care anymore.

i understand the effect, i am effectively becoming what i hate,

but it's america. protect and help yourself, because no one else will.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kyojin posted:

I would still recommend meditation but I've by and large had to accept anhedonia as part of my life now
same. as something I’ve had since like age of 4 (prob even as a fetus), I’ve been through a number of happy pills n professionals n tricks n tips lifehacks, and I’ve been in the acceptance stage for years now. it’s honestly kinda nice

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

yeah the response to covid was what broke me of any hope that we could even remotely handle climate change

and then china dropping zero covid broke me of the hope i didnt realize i still had that china could at least handle some of it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like his thesis is: the science is still too uncertain so it doesn’t make sense to do anything yet from a risk management perspective. Strikes me as dumb as poo poo even on its face, cause the consequences of being wrong are so bad that it’s worth acting to mitigate the risk even if the uncertainty were still very high.

ah, the pandemic approach to climate change

or was the climate change approach applied to the pandemic?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

eco stalin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

look i don't know for sure that this truss needs a mending plate, so i'm not going to bother. wouldn't want to act too quickly

oh, what? oops

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Eco-skynet

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

kyojin posted:

The order I stopped being able to enjoy things: books > video games > movies > TV shows > food > weed

Music & lurking still clinging on

Literally hockey and playing with my dogs is all that I enjoy completely anymore

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sea level rise is going to be the lesser concern. Expect severe weather that is also apparently random, with systems sitting over regions for longer periods than they otherwise would have.

If we get BOE we also get death of AMOC. If you've ever seen The Day After Tomorrow, it should be probably something like that.

Edit: ^^^^^ I do not recommend the diving in the Abyss and swimming out the other side method. It does work but it's temporary

Owns. But how long after BOE? Like years, months, days?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Best y-axis I've ever seen

its beautiful

gonna see this graph in my dreams

im_sorry posted:

I quit drinking in December, so I've been relying heavily on the weed.

And bass practice. It gives my hands something to do while my brain is freaking out. I might be actually leveling up in bass, too, which is cool.

any tips for getting started? i've got a little background in music theory and played sax for a while in school, but i never felt like i got anywhere with strings. part of it is probably just that i have some super lovely started bass + the cheapest amp i could find and no pedals or anything so it sounds nothing like i expect even when i do manage to make noise, but it would be cool to force myself back into it. someday. when i have more time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

The kicker here is that my father was an actuary for 35 years so he understands concepts of risk and uncertainty. Yet he’s totally down with the nonsensical notion that high uncertainty about climate change means low risk. Brain worms are real, my friends.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

A Bad King posted:

Ice free.
I c e f r e e .

Think of the opportunity! Shipping, resource extraction, inexpensive beach front property in Greenland!

other pole

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

kyojin posted:

The big event that marked the beginning of the apocalypse was one third of Pakistan being underwater

yeah but we'll get another chance to recognize a big event when a full 1/2 is underwater later this year.

:unsmith:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Stereotype posted:

this is a good way of putting it. i have noticed a lot of nebulous reassurance that isn’t aimed at anyone in particular still tends to demotivate people, and by phrasing it as “do something” it’s very much up to the individual to decide what is and isn’t feasible for their lifestyle and is therefore this is a personal expression. and is as meaningless as most other capitalist performances.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

1glitch0 posted:

Owns. But how long after BOE? Like years, months, days?

Weeks?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Car Hater posted:

Eco-skynet

at the point we're at i think that's just regular skynet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Unless posted:

other pole

The farm land we're going get when it's finally ice free too! Praise capitalism, praise innovation

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

what is boe, bitchin ocean event?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

cash crab posted:

this is a good way of putting it. i have noticed a lot of nebulous reassurance that isn’t aimed at anyone in particular still tends to demotivate people, and by phrasing it as “do something” it’s very much up to the individual to decide what is and isn’t feasible for their lifestyle and is therefore this is a personal expression. and is as meaningless as most other capitalist performances.
This is the social conditioning we’re all subject to so many generations deep into capitalism. We can only conceive of such things as discrete individual choices and actions. Collective action, faith in a larger project that will continue beyond our own life, these things are alien to us. We barely have the vocabulary to describe them, and even if we can it inevitably means direct confrontation with the totalizing system that is capitalism, which feels even more difficult.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if the nile receding yearly left a layer of rich fertile sediments that fed egyptians for millenia, it stands to reason that glaciers receding for the first time in millenia should leave behind a layer of sediments orders of magnitude deeper and more fertile than that

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Eco fascism is cool in theory but in practice we'd probably gently caress it up

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

bawfuls posted:

This is the social conditioning we’re all subject to so many generations deep into capitalism. We can only conceive of such things as discrete individual choices and actions. Collective action, faith in a larger project that will continue beyond our own life, these things are alien to us. We barely have the vocabulary to describe them, and even if we can it inevitably means direct confrontation with the totalizing system that is capitalism, which feels even more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlaPZ-xMPGY

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

smoobles posted:

Eco fascism is cool in theory but in practice we'd probably gently caress it up

eco-fascism is not, in fact, cool

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

eco-fascism is not, in fact, cool

I said "in theory" right there in the post

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

kyojin posted:

Sometimes I laugh a lot at horrifying graphs which is a form of hedonism I suppose

Ecstatic (mental) agony.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

smoobles posted:

I don't think you understand it. It's not engaging in fascism to protect the environment, which would be lovely.

It's engaging in fascism justified by the damage environmental destruction does to the in group. It's excluding outsiders from dwindling resources and exploiting them harder.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

smoobles posted:

thanks for specifying you think fascism is cool in theory

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
seems to come from the unfortunate "any coercion is fascism" perspective

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Seas are more.comfortable for humans now

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Irony.or.Death posted:

any tips for getting started? i've got a little background in music theory and played sax for a while in school, but i never felt like i got anywhere with strings. part of it is probably just that i have some super lovely started bass + the cheapest amp i could find and no pedals or anything so it sounds nothing like i expect even when i do manage to make noise, but it would be cool to force myself back into it. someday. when i have more time.

I don't really have any tips for getting started... I'm not very good at getting started myself! I first bought a bass in 1995, and barely touched it until around 2010, when I got really into playing for a few months, only really picking it up again when I quit drinking in December. I'd suggest keeping the bass in your inventory unless you just can't anymore, so you can take it out sometimes when nobody is around and the motivation strikes, turn it up, and give it a go. Add a drum machine and try to make cool riffs to go along with the drums. You can lose hours this way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes too many of us still have too much to lose. That number dwindles every day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm on an SNRI and the solution is to just take more mushrooms per dose.