Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Julio Cruz posted:

is there a record for most gold achieved in BGs

because uh

One crazy rear end mech game left me with 43 gold a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The highest I've seen is 100 gold, which I'm pretty sure is the cap. That was from someone leaving a third golden Hoggar on their board without noticing

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I saw a YouTube where they had golden pirates that give extra gold with rylak and bran. Started each turn at 100/10 which seems the be games max.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
If I had a nickel every time VS hypes hunter deck to be OP and it turns out to be average, I'd have two nickels. Isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Szarrukin posted:

If I had a nickel every time VS hypes hunter deck to be OP and it turns out to be average, I'd have two nickels. Isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice.

There’s nothing wrong with hunter itself, it’s just that windy pure pally is so completely busted it makes any other aggro deck irrelevant (apart from like spell DH but I dunno if that would technically be classed as aggro)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Horn of the Windlord is one of those “really?” cards I can’t believe made it through testing. Sure, let’s give a class whose major weakness is an inability to win off-board a source of huge off-board damage, and let’s just incidentally make it really efficient at clearing taunts too. It’s like, what did they expect to happen?

I can’t remember a case of breaking class balance for the sake of a cool individual design this bad since… I dunno, maybe Spreading Plague.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Someone did a video recently that made the case that minisets tend to help strong archetypes rather than fix weak ones and I think there is merit in the idea.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bravesword posted:

Horn of the Windlord is one of those “really?” cards I can’t believe made it through testing. Sure, let’s give a class whose major weakness is an inability to win off-board a source of huge off-board damage, and let’s just incidentally make it really efficient at clearing taunts too. It’s like, what did they expect to happen?

I can’t remember a case of breaking class balance for the sake of a cool individual design this bad since… I dunno, maybe Spreading Plague.

And honestly I haven’t enjoyed myself so much since Spreading plague and the Knights of the Frozen Throne set in general made jade druid amazing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Did the classic grind to legend with Zoo lock. Felt hardest at the start since I think of the ~5-10 non-bots I faced half of them were in the first 10 games.

It was boring but my win rate was above 90% which meant it was fast even without many stars.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Pure Paladin is so stupid and it's all I'm facing on the climb. I mean, I'm part of the problem because I don't want to mess with Spell DH right now, but Pure is definitely eating a nerf in the next round.

One stupid thing I've done is replace Kotori with Divine Toll. It hasn't mattered because games end before T7. So stupid. I love it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m really enjoying playing pure paladin and I hope they hold off on nerfs as long as possible. I’ve never hit legend before and I think this might actually be the month I finally make it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm in two minds; On the one, it's obviously extremely good, and probably 'broken'.

But on the other, at least it's playing 'Honest Hearthstone' (Being conscious that's a very subjective statement). It's sticking and trading Minions, it isn't Discovering two thirds of the deck so the player doesn't even know what they're going to do, it's not drawing you into fatigue as thought that's a good thing, and it's not pulling alternative wincon bullshit. I almost want to say if something must be king of the hill, I'd rather it was that kind of deck than most?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I'm in two minds; On the one, it's obviously extremely good, and probably 'broken'.

But on the other, at least it's playing 'Honest Hearthstone' (Being conscious that's a very subjective statement). It's sticking and trading Minions, it isn't Discovering two thirds of the deck so the player doesn't even know what they're going to do, it's not drawing you into fatigue as thought that's a good thing, and it's not pulling alternative wincon bullshit. I almost want to say if something must be king of the hill, I'd rather it was that kind of deck than most?

The weapon can feel pretty bullshit. Other than that despite its strength the deck doesn't frustrate me in the way that Blood or Control Priest do.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I've been trying it out this weekend just to get a sense of how broken it actually is and my anecdotal evidence is that a lot of Pure Paladin games end on turn 6 when you play the weapon and your opponent hovers over it and then counts the cards in you hand and then just stops trying. The sad thing is that the previous Pure Paladin (with a lot of Divine Shield thingies inside instead of face damage from hand) was still very good but actually pretty 'fair' in Hearthstone terms and it will probably die after they do whatever nerfs they need to do to get Horn of the Windlord under control.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, I'd love to see Paladin not get killed by nerfs - just put Countess to 8 and slap some overload on the weapon or something. It doesn't feel crazy unfair, but giving a mini Doomhammer to a class with two Rockbiters in Standard was certainly A Decision.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's roughly the same issue as the Cleave Lifesteal thing in DK - Your opportunity cost of playing this 'bad' statted item is offset, because it itself grabs tempo at the same time.

Here'd be an option - Make it so it only sets the Health to 3, so you won't feel so comfortable eating their Taunts.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NorgLyle posted:

I've been trying it out this weekend just to get a sense of how broken it actually is and my anecdotal evidence is that a lot of Pure Paladin games end on turn 6 when you play the weapon and your opponent hovers over it and then counts the cards in you hand and then just stops trying.

Or if you're me they just drop the viper that they were already holding or drew into that turn, leading me to never drop it on 6 unless I already have the backup in hand.

That having been said, the deck finally pushed me to 500 wins with pally, so I can't complain that much.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think the problem is actually that paladin is too consistent because they can thin their deck out so effectively with boogie down and purator

hit those cards instead and the horn+buff combo won't feel quite so automatic

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I also think if Paladin doesn't eat a nerf the meta that develops to counter it will be awful, doubly so due to the paucity of combo decks. Endless control with vipers, heal, armor and freeze. Maybe something with mines, yodeler, and death growl will work, but DK can still outgain it and the pieces are all cheap enough for Priest to steal them with Harvester before you can get it off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I’m going to very firmly agree with this. At the end of the day something has to be on top and I hate the endless tinkering blizzard does.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pure Paladin does play a fair game of Hearthstone for 2023 - that is to say, fair until the Countess comes out.

in the same vein, you have Hound Hunter.

I hope both of these decks are largely untouched - tweak paladin down a bit, but don't kill either of the decks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s fine when a deck has a couple of discover effects. It’s really annoying when the whole deck is discover effects and stuff from other classes. Secret rogue is the most annoying thing in the game to play against, followed closely by mage.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Excelzior posted:

I think the problem is actually that paladin is too consistent because they can thin their deck out so effectively with boogie down and purator

hit those cards instead and the horn+buff combo won't feel quite so automatic

Agreed. Tacking a mana on The Purator is a light-touch change that would nonetheless go a long way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

VS is pretty adamant that pureator is actually the best and most important card in the deck and should always be kept in the mulligan. I feel like any reasonable nerf should target it. Still want that nerf to be far into the future though.

5 mana solid taunt body that can draw up to 5 cards is pretty nuts.

Edit: my win rate in the pure pally mirror is well above 50% I would think. Tons of people are still running suboptimal versions of the deck even at diamond 1-2

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 13, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Holy crap I did it - only took 8 years but I finally managed to hit legend.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

We have a teaser as is their new norm...details to come later

Buffs

Rhytmdancer Risa (DH/Rogue)
Fiddlefire Imp (Mage/Warlock)
Remixed Dispenso-bot (Mage)

Nerfs

Pozzik, Audio Engineer (Neutral)
The Purator (Paladin)
Disco Maul (Paladin)
Feast and Famine (Paladin)
Lady S'theno (DH)
Hope of Quel'thalas (Hunter)

Rework / Other change

Crimson Clergy (Priest)

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 13, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that's..more Paladin nerfs than I would've wanted. If they aren't the faintest nerfs ever it could kill the Pure Paladin deck

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also lmao that's the 2nd rework of Clergy

really nailed it boys

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I wonder if they'll make Clergy more like Northshire. Maybe draw a card whenever another minion is overhealed

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The funniest part for me is seeing them nerf everything around S’theno in multiple previous patches to try and let her survive and now just giving up

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I haven't been paying attention to meta decks but is Pozzik really that much of a problem?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Color Printer posted:

I haven't been paying attention to meta decks but is Pozzik really that much of a problem?

neutrals that are in a lot of decks quite often get nerfed because seeing them over and over and over again isn’t much fun

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Probably drop it to 4/4 or something.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Excelzior posted:

that's..more Paladin nerfs than I would've wanted. If they aren't the faintest nerfs ever it could kill the Pure Paladin deck

Considering Pure Paladin was a perfectly competitive deck before either card was printed, this seems unlikely. What it’s more likely to do is diversify the kind of Pure Paladin decks getting played; maybe bringing back the Silver Hand or Garden’s Grace packages.

Hope of Quel’thas seems like a weird thing to hit even if you’re afraid of the format becoming all Hunter, all the time after Paladin gets smacked down.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

*sigh* every time I start to have fun. It’s jade Druid all over again. Nobody is going to play pure pally If they nerf 3 cards in it.

It was nice having an honest deck be on top for a while. Guess I just go back to playing control priest.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the juries still out on how dead pure Paladin will be. Purator and Disco Maul are such obscenely strong cards that they can eat a small nerf and still be played. Feast and Famine wasn’t even ran before, it’s just got disgusting synergy with the new weapon, so I don’t think the deck will care about that change.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pure paladin was being eaten alive by the meta before the mini set came out. You had almost no way of beating a blood DK or a Control priest and those were and are two of the most played decks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Pure paladin was being eaten alive by the meta before the mini set came out. You had almost no way of beating a blood DK or a Control priest and those were and are two of the most played decks.

If nerfing Pure Paladin gives those decks less to feed on I won't be sad.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've got bad news, despite being awful to play they feed on everything else, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Blood DK is always going to feed on aggro decks. Before the mini set it was almost impossible for pure pally to beat blood DK - now it’s 50/50 (it’s actually the second worst matchup for pure after spell DH).

Before the mini set, control priest could basically fall asleep and still beat pure pally, it was an incredibly lopsided matchup.

Now, pure pally is highly favoured because for all it’s removal control priest basically has no way to apply pressure - it wins by default after running the opponent out of resources and that doesn’t work vs a deck that can jerk off for 6-8 turns then OTK you from full health.

Nerfing pure pally and hunter at the same time makes priest and blood DK much better, not worse.