Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

dobbymoodge posted:

Looks better than I could do, but that floating wall looks pretty high. When you push on that top corner, does it want to rack? That could mess up your grouting and the caulk line where it meets the tub.

Also, is that the final trim on it? The gap at the top really jumps out.

I think the tiling looks fine, you knew what the spacers are for which is better than most bathroom DIY we laugh at here.

The wall is anchored in three places, the floor, the wall and against the tub. I tried wiggling it and it wouldn't move. I still have some caulking to do but I'm waiting until after the trim is painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/dancaroselli/status/1666073466729275392

Enjoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Wow a study in how to make a building as generic as possible.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Christ what a tragedy, but why is the before picture on the right?

Oh...

Well that's good news at least.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

As you might imagine, turns out the owner was an artist: http://www.ferdworks.com/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

loving criminal

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I want to throw all these stones, but my house.....

Unless.....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

I’m not saying that this is the work of Charlie Munger, but I’m not ruling it out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The picture on the left is the original?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Nitrox posted:

The picture on the left is the original?

Yeah, the one that looks, well, original.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

An apartment I lived in had a corner sink like that in an actual corner and it sucked. Can't imagine why someone would subject themselves to it unnecessarily, outside of a Gary flipper getting it for free.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Isn’t it often for kosher stuff?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe, but there's the same separation at the corners as a standard double sink and how much food prep is really being done inside the sink anyway?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bad Munki posted:

Two entirely separate sinks are generally preferable for kosher kitchens, but a regular double-basin sink can work too. This design doesn't appear to be significantly better for kosher purposes than a regular double basin sink because it's still possible for spills between these basins to happen.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kind of want a triangular third half-basin between the two big ones. It'd still be weird as gently caress, but at least a little less awful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A small practical complaint from my hotel room:

Instead of a shower curtain, they have fit a glass door. In itself that makes sense, you can probably keep it going forever with some spray bottle cleaner and a squeegee. The problem is that it's J shaped and hinged like a door, so your choices are

- Open it towards the toilet and shuffle sideways through the gap between it and the wall
- Close it into the shower, squeeze into the corner, and open it past you

I'm not especially wide or broad, so it was merely mildly annoying. This is a hotel, though; surely they get bigger people than me visiting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Not surprised, that toilet they've got installed is about the cheapest model that's not some no-name, non-brand thing available in the north of Europe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yeah not just big people but anyone with mobility difficulties is going to find it extremely hard to navigate around that. Then again someone with mobility issues is probably wise enough to make sure that the hotel they take is not *that*.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The organisers (a research group at Karolinska) knows all of us from before, and started off the first session with "welcome - and I know this is not the greatest hotel, but Karolinska likes working with them because they are cheap".

In fairness the meeting rooms and snacks/lunch were all fine, and there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the rooms except that. (And being out in Solna.)

But yes, I can absolutely imagine some old guy or lady trying to navigate around that and taking a nasty fall.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nenonen posted:

Then again someone with mobility issues is probably wise enough to make sure that the hotel they take is not *that*.

why is it the job of people with disabilities to know this? why can't the loving hotel just be accessible???????

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why is it the job of people with disabilities to know this? why can't the loving hotel just be accessible???????

Also, good luck with not having your room changed last minute from what you needed to what they happen to decide to give you.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Because when the bathroom looks like that then you can expect that the obstacle course starts already at the front staircase? :confused:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My partner and I went to tour an open house in the rich historic district part of town, and while the house was immaculate inside and out, they left the hatch to the crawl space open and I mean it is an open house so I went in. After taking a look around, I'm feeling a whole lot better about the work I've done on my house. It's the first open house I've been to where I wish I had my non-contact voltage tester. There was knob and tube still all over in addition to several generations or romex being held up by pipe hangers, and random wires that I couldn't tell if they were low voltage or high voltage just strewn about. There was also some really sloppily installed PEX plumbing, uncapped and abandoned in place gas lines next to live gas lines, and the AC was leaking so bad it was cooler down there than the inside of the house. Besides having a leak, the HVAC also had at least one duct that instead of being capped off, they just shoved like 5 feet of fiberglass insulation into the end of and called it good.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Many houses have basements cooler than the rest of the house even without HVAC leaks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Almost all of them, really. The ground is a hell of a heat sink, and more so the deeper you dig.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Dienes posted:

Also, good luck with not having your room changed last minute from what you needed to what they happen to decide to give you.

Friend of mine uses a wheelchair. He was in town, had booked a ground floor accessible unit at a motel. Rocked up and they’d given it to someone else, but had a room upstairs he could have.

They refused to move the woman in the accessible unit because she was a regular and liked that room.

It was the one week of the year where town is full. After calling basically everywhere else, they conceded defeat and he buttshuffled up the stairs.

Basically, hardly anyone gives a poo poo :/

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow, that's a super hosed up experience.

Was this in the US? Isn't there a bunch of ADA stuff that can be used to mega dunk on shithead businesses like that?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Wow, that's a super hosed up experience.

Was this in the US? Isn't there a bunch of ADA stuff that can be used to mega dunk on shithead businesses like that?

Sweden. For some reason, the US and Canada are a better at the accessibility stuff than the Europe. Like half the EU doesn't have national level regulations and the EU regs are only about 10 years old.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

Sweden. For some reason, the US and Canada are a better at the accessibility stuff than the Europe. Like half the EU doesn't have national level regulations and the EU regs are only about 10 years old.

Probably one of the few perks to the US being a younger country. Less "Lord Nelson tripped over this step randomly in the middle of the pub right before Trafalgar so putting in a ramp would be destroying a part of our national heritage!"

How's Japan with accessibility? They practically rebuild half the country every time there's an earthquake, but they can also be remarkably stubborn about some things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

North america is great for accessibility, if you drive. If you have a disability and don't drive, you are absolutely hosed on this continent.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Baronjutter posted:

North america is great for accessibility, if you drive. If you have a disability and don't drive, you are absolutely hosed on this continent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

It's like food safety, where the US has a maximum amount of caterpillars you can have in a ton of cabbage and the EU doesn't have any regulation on it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tunicate posted:

It's like food safety, where the US has a maximum amount of caterpillars you can have in a ton of cabbage and the EU doesn't have any regulation on it.

Oh man don't get Europeans started on their loving groceries; we're never gonna hear the end of it!

one cOULD nEVeR dO METT wiTH AMeRiCAN beef!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Almost all of them, really. The ground is a hell of a heat sink, and more so the deeper you dig.

Well, depends on just how deep you dig :devil:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sash! posted:

Huh, I'd have expected that Sweden would be more progressive on that point.

In Denmark I know that all new constructions need to offer as much accessibility for people with disabilities as possible, but we've still got a bunch of old stuff built prior to those regulations that haven't been updated.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone would argue the US has acceptable public transit, but once you've managed to get within 100 feet of where you're going there will probably at least be a curb cut for you to get a wheelchair from the road to the sidewalk and better than average odds you'll be able to get through the front door and use at least one bathroom. Could obviously be better, but somehow still better than many countries.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the us is a land of contrasts so some places have anywhere from awful to fairly good public transit, as per usual sweeping statements are garbage

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blowjob Overtime posted:

An apartment I lived in had a corner sink like that in an actual corner and it sucked. Can't imagine why someone would subject themselves to it unnecessarily, outside of a Gary flipper getting it for free.

OK so... what would be better for a corner?

What, even, else, would even be possible for a corner?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't think anyone would argue the US has acceptable public transit, but once you've managed to get within 100 feet of where you're going there will probably at least be a curb cut for you to get a wheelchair from the road to the sidewalk and better than average odds you'll be able to get through the front door and use at least one bathroom. Could obviously be better, but somehow still better than many countries.

Eons ago when I was a humble guy working in a Barnes & Noble, one of my tasks following "move this table over there" projects was to make sure we'd maintained the ADA clearance. Yeah, could be better, but we try.