Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

skooma512 posted:

The western public doesn't decide anything and their juvenile opinions like "I don't want to die in a nuclear war" explicitly do not matter.

part of the problem is they don't really believe they will die in a nuclear war because super missile shield -> first strike will overwhelm them anyway -> their missiles aren't reliable anyway -> I don't live in military target anyway -> I'll just go to the basement/subway anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

part of the problem is they don't really believe they will die in a nuclear war because super missile shield -> first strike will overwhelm them anyway -> their missiles aren't reliable anyway -> I don't live in military target anyway -> I'll just go to the basement/subway anyway

I won't die because Im the main character.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

celadon posted:

how does any military response handle the 'china makes all the things' problem?

does international shipping continue between two nations at war? do you just like, buy from proxies?

or is the assumption that a pro-US government will instantly form and take over easily and everything will basically be normal after a short disruption

If you drop the nukes you won't need things anymore

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

ive seen second hand reports of nuland describing july 11th as the start of ww3 during meetings. concerning,

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I won't die because Im the main character.

Hopefully she has a save from July 10th

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

genericnick posted:

If you drop the nukes you won't need things anymore

all that will be left are thrifty rural folks living in out of the way places and their rightful rulers surviving in their ubermench bunkers, so no mass of consumers no problem really

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Reading that Politico article is darkly funny because yeah the only real option the US has is to use nukes because any conventional response sees them exhausting their capabilities in a week or three.

It's why I suspect that if there is any kind of business plot going on it would be to paper over Taiwan stuff with China because destroying the supply chain would harm shareholder value.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

cat botherer posted:

As long as it doesn't go nuclear. The US would get its poo poo rocked in a conventional Taiwan war, but we still have a world-ending arsenal. The US brass is high enough on its own farts that I could see them discounting China's smaller arsenal and deciding that MAD doesn't apply.

im comfortable with the negative externalities, lets proceed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

celadon posted:

how does any military response handle the 'china makes all the things' problem?

does international shipping continue between two nations at war? do you just like, buy from proxies?

or is the assumption that a pro-US government will instantly form and take over easily and everything will basically be normal after a short disruption

As I said in the Ukraine thread, I’ve been in meetings where US and even Taiwanese owned factories on the mainland were assumed to be unusable to the Chinese in the event of war because the West and Taiwan own them, and they signed a contract.

Not in the sense of “how dare they!” but rather that private property is treated like a law of nature

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

indigi posted:

I dunno, do you remember on 9/11 when every single person was convinced that their town was next to get hit? If they had a base it was because of that. If they didn't have a base it was because of some company in town being important for reasons. If they didn't have that it was because of being at an important crossroads or some poo poo. And it kept going down the list. I feel like that same energy would exist if the missiles started flying.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Thoguh posted:

I dunno, do you remember on 9/11 when every single person was convinced that their town was next to get hit? If they had a base it was because of that. If they didn't have a base it was because of some company in town being important for reasons. If they didn't have that it was because of being at an important crossroads or some poo poo. And it kept going down the list. I feel like that same energy would exist if the missiles started flying.

luckily that would only last about 20 mins

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
once the missiles start flying sure but until it happens it isn't considered a realistic possibility

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When Covid started Chinese pass law (regulation?) forbad chinese manufactured 3M N95 masks to export. And US customs literally stop mask shipment going thru US airport to other countries (Canada?) and took them.

I guess as long as the F35 doesn't source rare metal from China then everything is fine.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Frosted Flake posted:

As I said in the Ukraine thread, I’ve been in meetings where US and even Taiwanese owned factories on the mainland were assumed to be unusable to the Chinese in the event of war because the West and Taiwan own them, and they signed a contract.

Not in the sense of “how dare they!” but rather that private property is treated like a law of nature
still can't get over this, one of the most insane things i've ever read

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Remember after 9/11 when everyone was convinced nukes were going to get smuggled in through containers? It was such a concern it became a minor plot point in the Sopranos. AFAICT nothing has been done about that so China is probably the country with a missile shield in the form of containers with tactical nukes placed near airforce bases and silos. And if they haven't done that they should ship at least one over along with a press release, harbor mining style.

Thoguh posted:

The Georgia Pacific paper mill in Green Bay had the first floor of it's admin building as covered parking, about a hundred spots, with offices starting on floor 2. They closed it off in 2002 because what if someone parked a car bomb under there to take it out, better to make the office workers park in Timbuktu everyday. They never told anyone this after they first announced it in 2002 so anyone hired after then didn't know why. In one of the yearly TSA meetings, held because the mill is also technically a port because it gets coal deliveries by boat, the psycho head of security mentioned it when he was talking about risk assessment and when asked "is that REALLY the reason we can't park there?" had a meltdown about us being the target of both muslim and eco terrorists and we should get another job if we don't realize the risk we could face in a high value manufacturing facility (we made the lovely brown mcdonalds napkins). That was a very strange meeting.

Yes I know I'm mocking that man's eco-terrorist fantasies while speculating Xi has nukes in containers, my monitor is on.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

still can't get over this, one of the most insane things i've ever read

It is insane because the west is pulling this poo poo with Russian property right now. They have to be blind or stupid to think that China can't do something like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

It is insane because the west is pulling this poo poo with Russian property right now. They have to be blind or stupid to think that China can't do something like that.

Blind and stupid

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yup, they think contract law is immutable when it only lives the same way any other laws live, as a function of the state. If the local state wants your poo poo, it'll just take it, and good luck getting a world war started over your lovely factory.

It's gonna be a little amusing when landlord corps and other remote rent seekers just stop getting checks one day because the government in XYZ state in the US for example just can't enforce their contracts for them with force anymore because population became ungovernable due to climate mass migration and food shortages. Oh no I starved the beast only to realize the beast is what fed me!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would definitely die in a nuclear exchange and I hope it doesn't happen. For what its worth :cheers:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Remember after 9/11 when everyone was convinced nukes were going to get smuggled in through containers? It was such a concern it became a minor plot point in the Sopranos. AFAICT nothing has been done about that so China is probably the country with a missile shield in the form of containers with tactical nukes placed near airforce bases and silos. And if they haven't done that they should ship at least one over along with a press release, harbor mining style.

actually they scan most containers overseas at the loading terminals for this.

nearly all marine gates worldwide have portal monitors now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Yup, they think contract law is immutable when it only lives the same way any other laws live, as a function of the state. If the local state wants your poo poo, it'll just take it, and good luck getting a world war started over your lovely factory.

It's gonna be a little amusing when landlord corps and other remote rent seekers just stop getting checks one day because the government in XYZ state in the US for example just can't enforce their contracts for them with force anymore because population became ungovernable due to climate mass migration and food shortages. Oh no I starved the beast only to realize the beast is what fed me!

Funny thing is the India government do it all the time, in fact I am pretty sure India is number 1 at taking big foreign companies to the cleaners. Passed retroactive laws to fine billions of dollars from Nokia, Xiaomi, a telecom company Li Ka Sing owned (richest man in HK), a US power companies and forced it to sell it to local for cheap, just a few off the top of my head.

And the west hasn't farked a word of complaint yet, because they need the Indians "to battle China" even though India is obviously not going to do any of that sort.

If this was a banana republic Latin American country, the US would have sent in the Marines to fix the democracy already.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, since they planned to use them first in Central Europe during the Cold War, I don't think there's much doubt here as well.

Makes me wonder how they'll justify that to the western public.

The Article, for Context posted:

If the United States can’t manage to shore up its conventional deterrent through such means — rapid modernization, co-production and expedited munitions — then it may have to rely on a third option, by far the most frightening one: its nuclear deterrent. This is what happened during the last major Taiwan crisis of the Cold War, in 1958, when U.S. generals threatened nuclear strikes on mainland China that would have left millions dead, according to classified documents revealed by Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg in 2021.

Today, as tensions rise between the major nuclear powers, brinkmanship has again become a possibility, says CSIS’s Jones. Among major U.S. allies such as Japan and Korea, it has also led to discussions about whether they should develop nuclear arsenals if the U.S. fails to beef up its conventional deterrent sufficiently in the Indo-Pacific. “We are in an era when we have the prospect of direct war between nuclear powers close to their home territories. This is mainly what is driving tensions,” says Jones.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a tactical nuke going off on the surface is going to do about jack poo poo worth of damage to a missile silo, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chinese wouldn't do something this monumentally dumb for basically no reason

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Cerebral Bore posted:

a tactical nuke going off on the surface is going to do about jack poo poo worth of damage to a missile silo, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chinese wouldn't do something this monumentally dumb for basically no reason

I was thinking of intercepting the missiles right at launch but alas

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

The Georgia Pacific paper mill in Green Bay had the first floor of it's admin building as covered parking, about a hundred spots, with offices starting on floor 2. They closed it off in 2002 because what if someone parked a car bomb under there to take it out, better to make the office workers park in Timbuktu everyday. They never told anyone this after they first announced it in 2002 so anyone hired after then didn't know why. In one of the yearly TSA meetings, held because the mill is also technically a port because it gets coal deliveries by boat, the psycho head of security mentioned it when he was talking about risk assessment and when asked "is that REALLY the reason we can't park there?" had a meltdown about us being the target of both muslim and eco terrorists and we should get another job if we don't realize the risk we could face in a high value manufacturing facility (we made the lovely brown mcdonalds napkins). That was a very strange meeting.

Yes I know I'm mocking that man's eco-terrorist fantasies while speculating Xi has nukes in containers, my monitor is on.

Georgia Pacific is Koch brothers

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Unless posted:

Georgia Pacific is Koch brothers

ftfy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hubbert posted:

Cross-posting from Asia thread because lmao the article is a fun read

IMO in the absence of onshore manufacturing capacity, the Americans will be the first to turn to nukes (tactical or strategic) in a PRC-US war.

Is there a single scenario where anybody else would turn to nukes before the USA?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I was thinking of intercepting the missiles right at launch but alas

that would be a hell of a lot of containers sitting out in the middle of nowhere in the dakotas, which i feel is suspicious enough that even the yanks would notice sooner rather than later

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is there a single scenario where anybody else would turn to nukes before the USA?

Samson Option.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
frankly the nuke going off in the shipping terminal is going to do a lot of economic damage compared to trying to get a base with them

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

(we made the lovely brown mcdonalds napkins).

those are good napkins. respect

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

North Korean holiday

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1668548764649373698

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol mishap

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That seems easy enough to bypass. Put a lead or concrete casing around the nuke that can be triggered to break into bits before firing the nuke. Easy peasy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hatebag posted:

That seems easy enough to bypass. Put a lead or concrete casing around the nuke that can be triggered to break into bits before firing the nuke. Easy peasy

Bro the fireball is hotter than the surface of the sun you don't need to worry about the container smothering the explosion

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
carrying my explosion in a jar.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Bro the fireball is hotter than the surface of the sun you don't need to worry about the container smothering the explosion

I'm just trying to get them maximum yield for their nuke!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

and in defense news, 4 dead, 3 missing, and 19 wounded in what Pentagon officials are calling a “helicopter oopsie”

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

remember when trump said we should take the oil in Syria and everyone made fun of him, then we did exactly that and continue to do it and no one cared. wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

the nations of projectionistan, projectionzuela, projectionea, projectiono, and projectionia are a constant menace to peace loving americans everywhere