Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I'm finding arrows much harder to come by than BotW, but I think that comes down to playstyle. I always stopped at stables to buy more in BotW, but I can't stop at stables if I'm spending an hour in the depths.

Try hitting up the mine sites that have archers and steal theirs. I usually pick up some from there. Breaking boxes will some times get you a bundle as well

Or if you have a wooden shield, let them hit that from a distance and put the shield away to steal the arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just got the Hylian shield and I feel :c00l:

Also I stumbled upon a chasm on Tingle island and it was such a weird little chain of underground areas. Beat my first Gloom Hand and friend under there and got a neat sword out of it, and a cap!

I’m really taking my time with everything. I finally am going to hit the Gerudo region problem. I went there earlier but gotta go back and clear the temple now. Here’s hoping that it’s boss is more interesting than the Zora temple’s.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I did the geoglyph quest after doing only the Rito dungeon and I didn't realize until just now how much it irritates me that it fucks up the plot. Literally every motherfucker is acting like I don't already know what happened to Zelda. I'm not looking for her any more. I've seen her! I also know there's an Evil Zelda. Dorephan you literally got Shadow Mario'd bro

Yeah I did the Tears quest before doing the Fire Temple and this Goron being all "omg is that Zelda! Zelda! Zelda wait we're coming! dang where did she go" got old pretty quick.

The Tears quest is weird and I wonder if it would've been better to gatekeep the ability to do that quest until after you've done the four temples, because it really makes it extra stupid when Link is just silent about it afterwards. Also it's kind of weird that you can get the Master Sword before finishing the questline. The Light Dragon can sometimes fly low enough that you can catch it and I'm not even sure you need max stamina to get the sword out. But the entire scene that plays out with you getting the master sword from the dragon has a lot more impact after you've seen the Tears story. The Tears quest just kind of seems like the one thing they probably shouldn't have allowed you to just go and do whenever you want.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

OneMoreTime posted:

Carrot cake can be made with swift carrots and they work just fine

The first thing I did when I found out that cheese, oil, and tomatoes now existed in totk was to grab salt, wheat, tomatoes, oil, and cheese to see if you can make a pizza.

You can, 10/10 game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I did the Tears quest before doing the Fire Temple and this Goron being all "omg is that Zelda! Zelda! Zelda wait we're coming! dang where did she go" got old pretty quick.

The Tears quest is weird and I wonder if it would've been better to gatekeep the ability to do that quest until after you've done the four temples, because it really makes it extra stupid when Link is just silent about it afterwards. Also it's kind of weird that you can get the Master Sword before finishing the questline. The Light Dragon can sometimes fly low enough that you can catch it and I'm not even sure you need max stamina to get the sword out. But the entire scene that plays out with you getting the master sword from the dragon has a lot more impact after you've seen the Tears story. The Tears quest just kind of seems like the one thing they probably shouldn't have allowed you to just go and do whenever you want.

To be fair I never even considered the possibility that you could land on the dragons at all because BotW taught me that no that's a bad idea you'll just get hurt and bounce straight off.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Wave posted:

You can use your Z axis to track travel distance, third number below the minimap.

Tunicate posted:

The minimap has coordinates

I'm going to do more science tonight then.

It probably won't work, but I didn't think adding more pine cones would do anything either. Also makes me wonder if oil is better or the same as pine cones...

Speaking of coordinates, what do the coordinates that the sand seal gives you actually point to? I never followed up on that. Koroks or something?

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

bawk posted:

Speaking of coordinates, what do the coordinates that the sand seal gives you actually point to? I never followed up on that. Koroks or something?

Spirit orbs for Eighth Heroine Quest.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm finding arrows much harder to come by than BotW, but I think that comes down to playstyle. I always stopped at stables to buy more in BotW, but I can't stop at stables if I'm spending an hour in the depths.

That's entertaining because breath of the wild has an arrow choke system in it. Once you get above some number of arrows, I think it was 50, you get fewer and fewer arrow drops. I have over 500 arrows in tears of the Kingdom. Just break every box you see arrow problem solved

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

CainFortea posted:

That's entertaining because breath of the wild has an arrow choke system in it. Once you get above some number of arrows, I think it was 50, you get fewer and fewer arrow drops. I have over 500 arrows in tears of the Kingdom. Just break every box you see arrow problem solved

I realized that Beedle was going to end up a lot poorer in TotK when I got 100+ arrows just from breaking boxes wandering around the Great Sky Island. I got over 500 in BotW at one point but only from hitting up literally every stable and shop and buying them out so I wouldn’t have to constantly be scrounging

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Remember: ABBB: Always Be Breaking Boxes

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 12, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

CainFortea posted:

Thing is I absolutely do do this and then three fights later I'm back below a hundred. Maybe I overuse them in fights? At one point I had likr 250 then I played in the depths for another half hour and was at like 80.

Pretty much never went below 200 in BotW, and that was just regular arrows, as I had 200+ of the other arrow varieties as well.

That must be, isn't it? Any arrow use in TotK takes away from your arrow stock, while BotW had four separate categories of arrow, all easy to find and plentiful.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Related: running low on fire fruit. Is the best way to recoup them just dicking around Hyrule Field? Maybe doing raiding the Fuse tutorial shrine?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man the water temple is frame drop city

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

This is crazy, like drat dude how many arrows are you shooting?

Every time I prepped before a temple or a big exploration thing, I'd stop by all the shops and buy up their arrows. Between 6 of the settlements, I could get around 100 arrows. Shops replenish every 2 days in-game. So if you were really lazy you could simply sit by a campfire for 2 day cycles and get more. Like, there's a direct financial path from picking apples, cooking them, selling them, and buying all the arrows. Additionally, you could just sit on a dragon and smack its horn every 10 minutes for 150 rupees.

Granted, I don't use a very heavy arrow build style. If I'm raiding a bokoblin camp, I'm using maybe 10 arrows. I'm more inclined to drop a battle bot and hide for a bit. I might use a Muddle Bud to make the fights even easier.

And if you're burning through fire fruit, diversify with chuchu jelly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sometimes it’s nice to just walk places instead of flying everywhere

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you're walking out of the depths missing over 100 arrows, the answer is you're shooting brightbloom seeds instead of throwing them. Stop! Just throw the brightbloom seeds from the tops of mushrooms whenever possible instead. You'll use more brightbloom seeds than normal, sure, but anything dangerous in the Depths (besides Frox and little frox juniors) will glow red with Gloom. It's okay to go HAM with the brightbloom seeds in a wide, flat expanse that looks perfect for a boss fight, just in case there's a Frox ahead, but if you're going over hilly areas then just toss the occasional brightbloom to keep things lit.

And if you're low on arrows, besides just buying more from a store you can make a return trip to the Great Sky Island will always have a few bunches of arrows along the western side of it where you encounter the Hunting Construct, along with a ton of boxes to break. It's easy to spend a few minutes up there and walk away with 20-30 extra free arrows, and beeline toward any boxes you can see from the three open shrines. There's also a ruin in northwestern Hyrule Field, right before the chasm, that has a Gloom Hands fight in the center of the ruins and at least a dozen boxes around with arrows inside. It's also a great place to go if you need a Red Boss Bokoblin horn, as there's always a red one walking around to the east of the ruins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Wave posted:

I can live with that. The weirder part to me is the four identical cutscenes after each temple. wtf why. secret stones? demon king?

I like to think Link is just there pointing at the cutscene like Leo DiCaprio everytime they say "Imprisoning War"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like to think Link is just there pointing at the cutscene like Leo DiCaprio everytime they say "Imprisoning War"

also same when doing the class on the calamity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't even throw multiple light bloom seeds. Make a vehicle and throw exactly one big light bloom seeds on it. It's portable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Sometimes it’s nice to just walk places instead of flying everywhere

Seeing Link's buddies run alongside him is pretty nice wish it was actually them instead of their ghosts but whatever

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That might also be why I've got so many arrows. I've activated all the light Roots already, and when I was doing my exploring I would just shoot my vehicle with a giant seed and use that for quite a while. I basically never throw items I always attached to arrows now and I still have over 500

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Seeing Link's buddies run alongside him is pretty nice wish it was actually them instead of their ghosts but whatever

it's cool until you go to collect a bunch of berries or whatever and blow them off a cliff with the stupid gale.

Macaluso posted:

Man the water temple is frame drop city

Maybe you should run it on a better machine? :smug:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Don't even throw multiple light bloom seeds. Make a vehicle and throw exactly one big light bloom seeds on it. It's portable.

That’s way less effective at letting you see where you’re going that shooting/throwing them, and brightbloom seeds are common as dirt. Stick one on your vehicle, sure, but don’t stop throwing them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I got half the light roots some with a hover bike and a giant bloom seed. You don't really have to see that far ahead.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I think the Gleeoks are a bizarre enemy design. Trivial if you know to use eyes, profoundly difficult otherwise. Almost demands you use some gimmick to fight them, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah no idea how you could possibly fight them without arrows or I guess an inventory full of throwing spears? I didn't have much luck just throwing crap by hand.

Using arrows the only hard part is making sure the final round you fire off homing arrows before he gets too high.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Am I the only one running around the Depths in the maxed-out BDSM Miner Armor? The maximum glow is very strong.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Poque posted:

disproportionately mad at every video that shows people activating zonai devices with precious rare arrows when you can just yeet apples at them instead

My favorite is when you realize they don't have to hit a specific part e.g. a fan, just any part of the assemblage.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Am I the only one running around the Depths in the maxed-out BDSM Miner Armor? The maximum glow is very strong.

It already takes at least three or four attempts while climbing a rock face in the rain before I cuss and switch to the level 2 froggy suit, sooooo

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've been using arrows a lot, including for like all my brightbloom seeds in the depths. Never bought a single one throughout the whole game either. I currently have 999 in my inventory.

Break every box.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Post Regional Phenomenon: kinda wish they would have blocked off Hyrule Castle if they were gonna have me go through a guided tour of it anyway. Also disappointed Phantom Ganon's second phase wasn't a tennis match.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bawk posted:

It already takes at least three or four attempts while climbing a rock face in the rain before I cuss and switch to the level 2 froggy suit, sooooo

A rainy day in the Depths sounds awful

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Like the froggy suit, when you finally get it, you now longer really need it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7243898326951726382

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
After about 140 hours into the game, I finally beat the game. I still have a lot to do, finish about 30 shrines, collect about 600 korok seeds, collect and upgrade more armor. But the last week or so I've felt like I'm just kind of wandering around putting off the inevitable. I didn't really need the extra heart containers with the final boss, but I did with that Lynel leading up to him, that really kicked my rear end. What an incredible game, and superior to Breath of the Wild in almost every way, which was already a masterpiece in its own right.

I still think that the sky islands were way underutilized, considering how they were Nintendo's main focus in all promotional materials. I spent far more time in the depths than up in the sky, which could have had more to do down there beyond mining zonaite, and re-fighting bosses. Most of the sky islands were empty.

And in a sequel, I would like a better balance between dungeons and shrines. It seems like the developers grew tired of making the shrines, given that, what, 30, or 40 of them are just Rauru's blessing? The puzzle solutions were also a lot simpler compared to BOTW, which didn't necessarily bother me. And the dungeons still felt rather short, I beat some of them in about 20 minutes. Maybe it's just because I've been playing the series for 30 years, but I seem to recall spending hours in each dungeon in older games.

Kudos to the team, and I look forward to see in what direction Nintendo takes the next game on their next gen console.

Edit: And my own theory on some continuity between the BOTW and TOTK. The ancient Sheikah technology was merely modeled off of the Zonai technology, but over the centuries, the knowledge of how to utilize the technology was gradually lost. I'm not sure if the game ever really addressed that.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 13, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Haven't finished this off yet, but I do wish there were better rewards for exploring. The armor would work, but they made it all so generic and similar that none of those feel that great to pick up. A few of the side quests, like fighting the pirates, are phenomenal, but I'm kind of surprised by how many end with you just getting a single Topaz or gear you already have two alternatives for that do the same thing.

The game is so stuffed that I get why they couldn't make every exploration hit 100 in terms of payoff, but particularly as I'm walking to the edges of the earth, it feels a tad underwhelming.

Really disappointed in how easy it was to clear the Korok village. Could have used another turn or two, but just beating a mini-boss and getting some dark clumps? Meh.

Still game of the year easily and probably 100 or so hours into it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Final Battle: Will the game let Zelda fall all the way to the surface without catching her?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Haven't finished this off yet, but I do wish there were better rewards for exploring. The armor would work, but they made it all so generic and similar that none of those feel that great to pick up. A few of the side quests, like fighting the pirates, are phenomenal, but I'm kind of surprised by how many end with you just getting a single Topaz or gear you already have two alternatives for that do the same thing.

Agreed. I got all 120 light roots, and the reward was a commemorative token which offered nothing special.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Final Battle: Will the game let Zelda fall all the way to the surface without catching her?

Doubtful. I missed, and it sent me back up to try again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tokelau All Star posted:

Nihonniboku posted:

Doubtful. I missed, and it sent me back up to try again.

Lol, I wondered the same thing but I also don't think so. It let me go a long time while I was distracted by my phone, and also gave me a second shot when I messed up the prompt.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm increasingly radicalizing myself: Koroks are awful. I wish the game would just let me look at a cool vista and enjoy the scenery, but every time I see a cool thing, it's like, I bet there's a little guy hiding on top of it so now I have to climb up there and listen to the ya-haha. Just let me walk past the lone conspicuous tree at the highest point of the area. Let me respect its personal space. Don't make me climb it. I can't immerse myself in the wilderness like a normal hylian, I have to scrutinize every little bit of the map with the angle of "would a game designer have judged this feature of the landscape as korok-worthy", which just takes me out of the game. Instead of "ohhh, those three towers look cool and imposing", it's "hmm I probably have to climb all three of these pretty-much-identical towers don't I".

The ones I have to strap to my hoverbike and fly a couple hundred meters to their friend are honestly not so bad, it's still a little artificial but it's also making the world feel more lived-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Some Vertical Science for everybody:

Building a fire, and tossing 1 Pine Cone or Oil Jar on it will give about 40 units of height in an upwards gust.

Tossing 5 Pine Cones or Oil Jars will up that to about 100 units of height.

One spring on its own will give about 30 units of height. 2 springs will get you about 60, 3 will get you about 80, and it's all very small diminishing returns after that.

There is no appreciable difference between a spring on a stake, and a spring on the ground, other than being able to angle the spring for lateral movement.

Trying to stack more than 5 or 6 springs at a time without using a stake in the ground will just end up with a flaccid spring tower falling onto your face.

A hover stone + a rocket will get you about 70 units of height, and a stable platform to launch from.

The stupidest way to get good height, having this information, would be to fuse a rocket to a hoverstone, fuse two springs together, and then place the two springs on top of the hoverstone WITHOUT fusing the bottom spring to the hoverstone. This will get you 70 units into the air from the rocket/hover stone, and then an additional 60 units in the air on top of that, for a total of 130 units into the air. You could probably use 3 springs instead of 2, so 150 is feasible.

Extending the logic of different stages of gaining height, you could do one hover stone + rocket attached, then place another hover stone + rocket attached, to individually launch the one after it carries up the other, for 140 units of height and a stable launching platform.

You could also try to stack 4 hover stones and put 1 rocket attached to each corner/side, alternating between sides, without fusing any of the hover stones together. With precise placements and 4 precise arrow shots, you could launch each hover stone individually, allowing you to float a rocket's worth of height each time. I tried doing this a few times and ran out of rockets.

Finally, you cannot, unfortunately, build a fire on top of a hover stone. The wood simply burns, and does not form a campfire.

And after doing some side-by-side comparisons, Revali's Gale has about the same power as 2 Pine Cones. Eat poo poo, bird.