Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Come now SMG, you of all people now canon is an illusion

Comic book canon doubly so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smg is Miguel o’hara

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McCloud posted:

Beat me to it. I was honestly surprised to see a Batman that has one night stands and washes painkillers down with wine, there's almost no version of Batman that gets drunk and fucks random women. At most he enjoys a glass of scotch or whisky or something, and keeps his sexual encounters to rooftops with other masked weirdos.

It depends, BTAS actually does have at least early on Bruce Wayne going on legitimate dates with women in his social circles, even an on-off thing with chronic damsel in distress Veronica Vreeland, and in general his rich playboy CEO act isn't entirely an act. But it becomes one he's less and less able to effectively keep up over time, since he's constantly standing them up for Batman stuff. The opening of Batman Beyond even has Batman rescue Veronica's now adult daughter, who while keeping up the family tradition demonstrates that the world has moved on without him.

On the other hand, BvS seems to imply it went the other way; billionaire playboy male Paris Hilton of Gotham stopped being so much of an act. Doesn't help that things like the Robin memorial and a burnt out Wayne Manor implies things have been going very badly for him in both identities.

Xealot posted:

Daredevil is also a nice contrast, whose motivations and general energy are pretty similar to Batman, but he’s so horny all the time. His relationships are all doomed, but he’s constantly trying to lay it down.

Daredevil is a funny comparison, being less repressed despite being somehow more Catholic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Miguel O’Hara, it’s wild that the new spider verse movie is making money hand over fist and fans are losing their minds over it, meanwhile the creator of one of the main characters has to crowdfund his doctor bills.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Miguel O’Hara, it’s wild that the new spider verse movie is making money hand over fist and fans are losing their minds over it, meanwhile the creator of one of the main characters has to crowdfund his doctor bills.

Peter David is kind of a moron, though. He resorted to a GoFundMe because he conveniently "forgot" to pay taxes for ten years and the IRS was all over his rear end for like $80,000.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Least he got paid. He should buy a cool flash boat or something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
He's right. Man of Steel is so loving good, and Shannon kills in every scene he's in.

EVERY scene.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

McCloud posted:

Beat me to it. I was honestly surprised to see a Batman that has one night stands and washes painkillers down with wine, there's almost no version of Batman that gets drunk and fucks random women. At most he enjoys a glass of scotch or whisky or something, and keeps his sexual encounters to rooftops with other masked weirdos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Suspiciously Wealthy Furries have been a thing for a long time...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Suspiciously Wealthy Furries have been a thing for a long time...

Michael Shannon was even in a movie about a cop furry ruining his life!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McCloud posted:

Come now SMG, you of all people now canon is an illusion

Comic book canon doubly so

Sorry, but you’re wrong!

:nws:
https://i.ibb.co/3hRwxvK/canon.jpg
:nws:

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I actually do think Nolan is pretty sexless in most of his output, but every Batman evokes some reading of his sublimated, unrealized sexuality. It’s kind of an elephant in the room: this handsome billionaire playboy never fucks, but is really primed for psychosexual interpretation over why...

I agree that the majority of the MCU is the most “neutered”, but I’m not quite ready to let the Nolan-Bats off the hook. As you say, the basic premise of Batman has sexual repression built in, but my beef is that this aspect isn’t meaningfully conveyed in the narrative of the films themselves. Like, his films are by far the most neutered out of the live action Batmans (Though I haven’t seen the Matt Reeves one). Nolan aims for a kind of beautiful clockwork of filmmaking, but also produces a recurring bloodlessness.

To go back to BvS’s narrative:

Grendels Dad posted:

It was either here or in the old Justice League thread that it was pointed out that even Superman's posture is one of "constant erection" or suchlike, I need to find that post again.

The Wayne employee who gets paralyzed in Zod’s invasion goes to the monument of lives lost and places a photograph of his family in a vigil, and then proceeds to go punk-rock on the Superman statue. Later, there’s a twist that his family is still alive, and actually that his wife left him: it’s Superman’s fault that he becomes “less than a man”.

Meanwhile, billionaire philanthropist Luthor is intimately monitoring Superman, and sees in his journalism the continual development of class consciousness. He uses the emasculation engendered by Clark’s super-vigor to produce an attack on the Capitol, symbolizing to a wild-eyed & similarly emasculated Batman the total breakdown of society. Since the film was released, the reactionary struggle has gained tremendous ground against women/gay/trans rights, in service of righting a society in decline.

In conclusion, I wrote all of this to say that Sucker Punch is the good/interesting version of Inception.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inception is way more fun than sucker punch is

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KVeezy3 posted:

Like, his films are by far the most neutered out of the live action Batmans (Though I haven’t seen the Matt Reeves one).

I need to watch it again because I've only seen it once, but there's definitely more sexual stuff in it than the Nolan movies, mainly about Catwoman. She is basically a waitress in Falcone's strip club and he hits on her without knowing he's actually her father, so a lot to unpack there.

CelticPredator posted:

As big a Snyder fan as I am, this is a hard agree from me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the deleted Oscar Isaac musical number from Sucker Punch is more fun than every single movie Christopher Nolan has ever made combined

granted this may have been one of the reasons it was cut, as arguably it kind of undercuts the rest of the film

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

KVeezy3 posted:

In conclusion, I wrote all of this to say that Sucker Punch is the good/interesting version of Inception.

CelticPredator posted:

Look what we have here, two correct statements!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I love Snyder but Sucker Punch, I appreciated what he was going for but eh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sucker Punch is really gross to watch and very unpleasant. It may be the point but it’s sandwiched between such schlock it doesn’t work imo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The one canon event I'm willing to accept

Also that reminds me of David Sandbergs best tweet

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1405969227467706372?t=Hr1-rJQk7XG9EljfnpI1JQ&s=19

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1405969227467706372?t=Hr1-rJQk7XG9EljfnpI1JQ&s=19

I get if WB/DC wasn't happy with that but I was stunned it got taken down lol. Batman travelled the world for years supposedly mastering like every skill out there? Guess he was full of poo poo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Found this gem from the full circle event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTbJOLO5wo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

McCloud posted:

lmao

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McCloud posted:

The horny voyeurism of Zeus.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Not really related to anything, just crossposting from the CineD discord that I made a Snyderdome club in Street Fighter 6 for anyone who wants to join. It's open to apply and I'll add whoever next time I'm on. You can just search for Snyderdome in the CFN > Clubs menu. Hoping maybe we can get some CineD goon sets going in a custom lobby or all meet up in the battle hub eventually.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm actually glad I saw The Flash. This is what WB ejected the Synderverse for. They thought that's what people really wanted. RIP lol

Anyway, bring on Rebel Moon.

https://twitter.com/TommySnyder991/status/1670032651430817793

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean what are they fans of. Dc or Snyder

Because I don’t give a gently caress what IP sam Raimi does I just want to see more movies from him

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rebel Moon BTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nc4TDtogcs

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Looks so drat good

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Is Rebel Moon getting a decent theater release? It feels crazy to have a director who is known for visuals not getting the big theatrical releases.

Flash was fun enough, but using Zod was a giant misstep because everything about him was infinitely worse than MOS.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is Rebel Moon getting a decent theater release? It feels crazy to have a director who is known for visuals not getting the big theatrical releases.

Flash was fun enough, but using Zod was a giant misstep because everything about him was infinitely worse than MOS.

They cut his "I've sailed across an ocean of stars" line! Unforgiveable.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They didn't even use Arcade as his theme which is just ridiculous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSSMnyJ7ZAA

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Darko posted:

They didn't even use Arcade as his theme which is just ridiculous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSSMnyJ7ZAA

Yep! It was real weird watching a moving combining Burton Batman and Snyder MoS and missing the majority of the aspects that made me like those. Keaton was good, but he was written as broadly as any Batman.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Just saw the Flash and holy god that was bad - except for like, ten total unconnected minutes throughout. Whoever created the 2nd trailer for the film should get an award though, it made me pay to see it although pretty much on the basis of false advertising g

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress man, I need a trailer so bad lmao.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aipsh posted:

Just saw the Flash and holy god that was bad - except for like, ten total unconnected minutes throughout. Whoever created the 2nd trailer for the film should get an award though, it made me pay to see it although pretty much on the basis of false advertising g

When Shannon said "Man of Steel I was there for two weeks, but this time I was in and out in like a day", I started to get the feeling that they were really pushing the Zod, Supergirl, Batman stuff in the marketing but those elements would make up like 20 minutes of the movie and that was when I started thinking I didn't need to see it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MJeff posted:

When Shannon said "Man of Steel I was there for two weeks, but this time I was in and out in like a day", I started to get the feeling that they were really pushing the Zod, Supergirl, Batman stuff in the marketing but those elements would make up like 20 minutes of the movie and that was when I started thinking I didn't need to see it.

6 months on MoS vs two weeks on Flash

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

6 months on MoS vs two weeks on Flash

I just saw Flash and holy loving poo poo if you told me he was on it for two minutes I'd find that more believable. I mean he has some lines and some screen time but so much of this movie is all CG it's insane how bad it all is. Like all the Zod/Kryptonian stuff looked way better in Man of Steel, how is that even possible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If there's any CGI industry goons here, I'd genuinely love them to explain what's going on with the Flash. Something about every big effects shot from it that I've seen has been...off. Don't know how to explain it but it's off. like, not just in the sense of it not looking realistic, but looking straight up at odds with reality. It's a shame that it isn't being used to depict 'non-euclidean geometry' because if it was intentional, it's use of perspective and motion would be unsettling in a cool way instead of leaving you wondering what kind of hellish production process it had.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

If there's any CGI industry goons here, I'd genuinely love them to explain what's going on with the Flash. Something about every big effects shot from it that I've seen has been...off. Don't know how to explain it but it's off. like, not just in the sense of it not looking realistic, but looking straight up at odds with reality. It's a shame that it isn't being used to depict 'non-euclidean geometry' because if it was intentional, it's use of perspective and motion would be unsettling in a cool way instead of leaving you wondering what kind of hellish production process it had.

The director said he made the visuals like that because everything is distorted from Barry's viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Director Wimp Lo