Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yeah I know, they showed how you can use that trait to get past a snake patrol, but no word on if they are a proper quest giving faction you can side with like the space pirates or if they are just villains.

Not going to lie, would love a side quest where you just go door to door in a town trying to convince people to join the snake cult while constantly jumping up and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dang, I haven't been following this at all but I just watched the showcase and it looks pretty neat.
I sure hope base building actually matters, even if it is passive resources that are teleported to your ship. Please don't make me visit every outpost just to pick up some alien ore.

Nice to see they've confirmed there will be some form of magic/superpowers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
praying to get embraced by the serpent ankha

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Songbearer posted:

When gaming in general figures out how to use AI systems similar to ChatGPT etc, you can bet your arse Bethesda are going go be at the forefront of making a game with the most hilariously hosed up and broken iteration in the first game to use it. We're talking entire towns of NPCs doing the Oblivion procgen gossip but this time talking about an apple they watched the main character steal and then throw at a shopkeeper

"Greetings Skalbear, did you hear? Songbearer the warrior assaulted me with an apple. The apple was red. The apple hit me in the head! I feel conflicted about these events."

"Hello Marcius. It is morning. Greetings are used to begin conversations! It is an awful shame to waste an apple in such a way. Songbearer saved my cat, he is a hero."

"Skalbear apples are not weapons. A cat is a small mammal that do not eat apples, they are poisonous for cats! Your cat will die! Songbearer will kill your cat with an apple!"

500 coin bounty added for the murder of Skalbears' cat

(cats do not exist in the game)

"I'll kill you, Songbearer! Just like you killed my cat!" *draws sword*

*spins 360 degrees*

*sheathes sword*

"Greetings in the morning of today Songbearer. I am an apple. Please don't throw me into poison."

There's probably already a skyrim mod that does this

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao people are going crazy over DF’s John Linneman saying 30 fps is fine for Starfield. :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Daztek posted:

There is and it sucks poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Daztek posted:

Yep, It's being worked on!
https://www.ign.com/articles/skyrim-mod-uses-chatgpt-and-other-ai-tools-to-give-npcs-a-memory-and-endless-things-to-say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCjosz1vOA

It actually seems to be working quite well for what is basically a proof of concept. Seems to have been trained on a decent bit of skyrims text, as well as a bit of in game data in the prompts like time of day, and what the character your talking to is doing.

The one obvious issue is that -even ignoring the robotic voice to speech - the characters all sounds pretty similar in what they say.

Although that was sort of Skyrim dialogue anyway.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 12, 2023

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Here's something kind of interesting from one of the "Look at our happy employees!" sections.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Looks like this could confirm planets having multiple biomes, or the same creature existing on multiple planets :

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like this could confirm planets having multiple biomes, or the same creature existing on multiple planets :

What I get out of that is that I get to harvest them for their fiber.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Will we be able to capture the alien creatures and sell them rehome them in our personal exotic zoos?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ZeeBoi posted:

lmao people are going crazy over DF’s John Linneman saying 30 fps is fine for Starfield. :allears:
He's right.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

have we forgotten Cyberpunk (another very hyped game) on consoles so soon... ?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rope kid posted:

He's right.

Would you be willing to explain more about this? What do developers need to do in order to make 30fps feel good? The 30fps console games we do play that actually get it right, no one complains about, but when a developer gets it wrong then you really feel it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’m going to be honest - I think MAYBE I notice it when a game is 30 fps for like 5 minutes after I’ve played a 60 fps game prior, but then I get used to it like 5 minutes in. It’s totally fine.

If a game has bad frame pacing, drops frames,
or has a really inconsistent frame rate, that’s actually bad. If they get a smooth, locked 30 fps…it’ll be fine.

And even then if the game is great, whatever. I used to play poo poo on a loving Commodore 64, every day of our modern lives amazes me.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I was surprisingly happy with Hogwarts' 40-something frame rate as well for performance mode. Very smooth. It's screen panning judder I hate the most.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I'm going to have to get a Series X or PC to be disappointed by and subsequently sink hundreds of hours into this, aren't I?

And you can wear the watch next to your 'real' watch, right? I mean I have the FO4 collectors edition and the pip boy phone mount thing, so why not go whole hog on this?

Just seems so great and so boring at the same time. And some things look great and then its like 'hello, Oblivion Style Hair section and textures'

WHY, TODD, WHY?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oblivion Style Hair

Don't worry, 3 minutes after the game is out the guy that makes the mod with a billion stupid hairdos ripped straight from The Sims 3 will upload a Starfield version.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I said come in! posted:

Would you be willing to explain more about this? What do developers need to do in order to make 30fps feel good? The 30fps console games we do play that actually get it right, no one complains about, but when a developer gets it wrong then you really feel it.
It's usually inconsistent framerate that's a big issue rather than running at a rock solid 30. Hitches and big dips are extremely annoying, especially if you experience them during combat. As for what's required, it's not a singular thing, but a leadership-driven, team-wide commitment to making the sacrifices and adjustments necessary to maintain framerate. You don't trip and stumble into accidentally running at a rock-solid 30 fps, much less 60.

Extremely fast-paced games, especially ones that are competitive multiplayer, definitely benefit massively from a consistent 60+ fps. In single player FPS games it's generally less critical, even if combat is a significant focus.

I think given the paucity of new games natively running at 4k/60fps on current console hardware, it's weird to just expect every new big game to hit those performance metrics. It's one thing to say, "I only play games at 60+ fps." Even if I think it's unreasonable, play what you want to play. But there are people comparing Starfield to games made for last gen hardware (e.g. Skyrim) running at 60fps on current gen consoles 12 years after launch. Profoundly unserious.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Aren't big splashy current gen console games generally running at 30fps @ 4k? I thought it was mostly older games or smaller action games that could run 60+ or it required running at < 4k. 4k is a pretty big performance burden.

Especially for an rpg it seems nbd.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There are some big new games that run at 4k/60fps on current console hardware. That is both cool and impressive, but yeah, it's not the norm.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One thing that has come out is that according to Spencer literally every QA department in Xbox is doing QA testing on Starfield.

I think it also came out in the same interview (with Giant Bomb) that Zenimax was in severe financial trouble before Microsoft bought them; it was implied that Zenimax was forcing too-early releases and forcing BGS to chase live-service games like Legends, Blades, and (probably) FO76. Which, if right, means the Microsoft acquisition was probably the best thing to happen to BGS.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
e: :qq:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 13, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

can we not

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't be an rear end

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh gently caress off

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

BULBASAUR posted:

lovely 4chan post

gently caress off

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The jump from 1080p to 4K really doesnt seem like that big a deal to me, but is this really just a case of I need to turn on my monitor? My tv is 4k anyways and it just seems like the massive hardware requirements are not worth the pay off in comparison to other graphic features that can make the game look nice and not sacrifice quality.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like 2560x1440 is the sweet spot of looks great and isn't a huge performance hit. 4k just doesn't seem worth it for video games yet.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah 1440 is all I've needed for awhile now and will need for a long time to come. Especially at high frame rates.

I wonder if this is 30FPS on consoles more because of CPU than GPU though?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

Which, if right, means the Microsoft acquisition was probably the best thing to happen to BGS.

While certainly not a fan of large multinational just buying up everything, from what I know about Zenimax they sound garbage as hell.

Most of the large publishers sound pretty garbage to be honest. EA/Activation/Ubisoft looking at you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when you really stop and consider it, the wonder is not that the time between each frame is so vast, it’s that we’ve measured it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

when you really stop and consider it, the wonder is not that the time between each frame is so vast, it’s that we’ve measured it

Scientists found if you don't measure frames and collapse their superposition they can be anywhere and you mostly just end up looking at a blank screen.

This is what most ghosts are, random frames from video games appearing all about the place because someone had the sheer hubris to play a game without displaying their frame rate on screen.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I draw each frame by hand and paste them onto my screen

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My framerate is variable on all games even with a 144hz monitor and a 3080ti. This is because my cat won't stop walking in front of my monitor, blocking it from my sight

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Please honey. Daddy just wants to see his animation so he can work on it. Honey, please. Stop

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If the frame rate negatively syncs with your eyes' refresh rate then you don't see anything at all since the change occurs between the electrical impulses from your eyes to your brain. Alan Watts basically wrote a whole sci Fi book called blindsight about a goon trying to figure out why he can't see a video game move at the right FPS it's 100% a sick read

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Songbearer posted:

Please honey. Daddy just wants to see his animation so he can work on it. Honey, please. Stop

That cat looks like it knows things. I'd listen to it. Your computers probably demonically possessed or something.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sky Shadowing posted:

One thing that has come out is that according to Spencer literally every QA department in Xbox is doing QA testing on Starfield.

I think it also came out in the same interview (with Giant Bomb) that Zenimax was in severe financial trouble before Microsoft bought them; it was implied that Zenimax was forcing too-early releases and forcing BGS to chase live-service games like Legends, Blades, and (probably) FO76. Which, if right, means the Microsoft acquisition was probably the best thing to happen to BGS.

Bethesda mainline games are wildly profitable, right?

Seems dumb to strangle the golden goose because your other studios/properties are struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

30 FPS looks real lovely on my OLED, something about 30 FPS camera panning just makes it a juddery mess. also it feels a lot worse but the judder thing makes some games unplayable