Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I totally love and am not at all surprised that SA has outlived Reddit (for all intents and purposes).

I wonder what will happen with the EVE Online people that I loved reading about Goonswarm decimating.

I need a TLDR on all that from the past several years. I figure the pandemic must have been good for the EVE goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This is a good read; thanks.

JEBUS_ES_AMOR
Sep 17, 2004

JEBUS IS LOVE

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It turns out it’s fairly easy to keep a webforums afloat when you arent on the hook for billions of dollars of future profit to investors and don’t need to pay an entire C-suite of lovely tech executives to sit around and pretend to be useful

That alls there is, they are going for the sweet IPO money, grab the cash and run.

And as someone posted in the thread I didnt expect SA to outlive Twitter and Reddit. So, hello again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Lowtax should’ve taken SA public

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Lowtax should’ve taken SA public

That's totally a lowtax move; thank God he didn't.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Slimy Hog posted:

That's totally a lowtax move; thank God he didn't.

Let's be honest, if Lowtax had taken the company public, he would have challenged the NASDAQ to a charity boxing match and gotten the poo poo beat out of him

also I just became aware that lowtax died. rip in pieces you wife beating piece of poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC Lowtax turned down a 20 million dollar offer for the site.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Is that Uwe Boll's music?! Come to think of it, I wish his wife was Uwe Boll.

20million is an absolutely insane amount to turn down. I suppose that in the context though, eBaumsworld sold for a similar amount in 06 or 07.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They are holding a 48 hour protest due to changes in their API monetization because their CEO decided Musk's Twitter's business model was a successful one worth emulating.

lmao, yep. Musk proved that you can screw over your userbase and a lot of them will still hang around and some might even pay for things that used to be free. Now it seems like all the major sites are overhauling to be less consumer friendly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So now that reddit, discord, twitter, others are going down the drain, what's the solution here? I know ending capitalism is the solution but that seems a bit of a ways off.

Something that I don't quite understand is that you have something like Mastodon, in Twitter's case, where it does something similar to Twitter but its federated (not sure what that entails exactly) but its apparently designed in a way to make it hard to completely "own" and therefore enshittify? Is it possible to create a reddit that is similar in structure that way one idiot/groups of idiots don't sell out and throw a bunch of users out with it? Reddit seems to have a somewhat "simple" formula of allowing users to post a body of text/news link/horse picture, and people comment on it? I feel like that probably isnt super hard to do so is there some "nobody can own this" reddit-like that accomplishes the same?

this is probably one of my dumber posts in a while but I keep hearing that things like Mastodon are the solution to things like this but I dont use that or twitter so :shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tunicate posted:

IIRC Lowtax turned down a 20 million dollar offer for the site.

there's zero chance that's true

I refuse to believe any goon would turn down 20 million

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it was a faustian thing. 20 mil, but he could never get lit off ambien or codeine again and he would have to be a responsible father

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Reddit ain't gonna die from a 2 day blackout, the majority of users aren't terminally online and don't give a poo poo

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

eleven extra elephants posted:

Reddit ain't gonna die from a 2 day blackout, the majority of users aren't terminally online and don't give a poo poo

The massive pool of volunteer labour (the mods) gives a poo poo though, replacing those that leave will be a big and possibly expensive headache

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

Shinjobi posted:

there's zero chance that's true

I refuse to believe any goon would turn down 20 million

I don't know if that was the amount, but Conde Nast tried to buy SA before they bought Reddit.

I remember Lowtax shot them down and they went and bought Reddit right afterwards.

Edit: screenshot

nullandvoid fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 13, 2023

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
how will it be expensive when most redditor mod wannabes will power trip for free?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nullandvoid posted:

I don't know if that was the amount, but Conde Nast tried to buy SA before they bought Reddit.

I remember Lowtax shot them down and they went and bought Reddit right afterwards.

lol

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Montague Tigg posted:

how will it be expensive when most redditor mod wannabes will power trip for free?

yeah this, this is an infinite pool.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008

buglord posted:

is there some "nobody can own this" reddit-like that accomplishes the same?
Yeah, that's I think more or less what kbin and Lemmy are. They're like a decentralized version of reddit and they can talk to each other somehow (??) but I don't really get it yet. Looks like there are already a lot of reddit refugees on both of them and someone has already created a new /r/butts (only one butt so far though lol). Not really sure if either of them will get the traction they need to last but I think the reddit drama has given both of them a huge boost.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Montague Tigg posted:

As a Reddit moderator you have no idea just how many people beg to be made moderators.

Its a loving curse. You think you want this but really you don't.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

nullandvoid posted:

I seriously doubt conde nast offered Lowtax 20 mil. Reddit had VC funding and the people behind it had actual business acumen and new what they were doing.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

buglord posted:

So now that reddit, discord, twitter, others are going down the drain, what's the solution here? I know ending capitalism is the solution but that seems a bit of a ways off.

Depends, is there an actual problem we need to solve? Do we really need to have only a single place where all discussions are had? Cause that sounds pretty lovely to me, especially in the case of Reddit where whoever was first to claim a subreddit name gets complete control over the discussion.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cellular Suicide posted:

I’m itchy where’s the flashlight subforum. All my hobbies require external validation.

Subforum? No no no that's an important topic deserving of a full forum.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
bring back ezboards. i've been saying this for years

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Duck and Cover posted:

That place smells like arthritis cream, I need my flashlights to have stupid memes

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Duck and Cover posted:

I appreciate Candlepower Forums for providing me with deep Mag-Lite lore

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cyks posted:

Depends, is there an actual problem we need to solve? Do we really need to have only a single place where all discussions are had? Cause that sounds pretty lovely to me, especially in the case of Reddit where whoever was first to claim a subreddit name gets complete control over the discussion.

i feel like its less about controlling discussion where all discussions are had and more "stop rich idiots from ruining things for everyone so they can afford several houses". I have no love for reddit but its sucky that this keeps happening.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

buglord posted:

i feel like its less about controlling discussion where all discussions are had and more "stop rich idiots from ruining things for everyone so they can afford several houses". I have no love for reddit but its sucky that this keeps happening.

Companies getting bought/selling out and going to poo poo has been a thing forever. Even online reviews of products and companies went to poo poo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

eleven extra elephants posted:

yeah this, this is an infinite pool.

modding is done almost entirely through the third party APIs they're cutting out

there's also, as far as i know a crazy amount done by a small # of people who are modding 500+ huge subreddits and have been doing it basically since the site started and if they lose them or make it so they can't do StarCraft apm modding 12h a day through the third party stuff they're gonna have a problem

the mods there curate much more and have to deal with way more racists and psychopaths than our small orbit of moderately familiar mentally ill reregs

i think it could be a very big problem for them if they lose the modteams of their political and humor and sports, gaming, music subreddits - theyre all pretty bad but they've developed specific flavors of bad that draw in their activity and if rhey lose too much of that people won't stay because nobody's deleting posts that don't fit right

the super big ones are easier but the mid sized ones i think they could have stuff wither away

because they're gonna lose a lot of their really active users from this, they're very heavily third party app users and switching to that trash app will kill it for them

the combo of those two will drain a lot of places out, they might refill but they might not and if they do they'll have lost any identity they had and be turned into pure advertising vectors prolly

it happened to digg over a restyle

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Waiting for the CEO to make a dipshit move like "If our mods quit, then we'll make everyone a mod!" followed by "okay that didn't work, so let's hire a few contractors in India to handle moderation going forward" followed by some poor bastard signing up for a "tech job" near Mumbai and walking the gently caress out 3 hours into it.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

funeral home DJ posted:

Waiting for the CEO to make a dipshit move like "If our mods quit, then we'll make everyone a mod!" followed by "okay that didn't work, so let's hire a few contractors in India to handle moderation going forward" followed by some poor bastard signing up for a "tech job" near Mumbai and walking the gently caress out 3 hours into it.

I'm definitely feeling the second half no matter what

idk who the people that run reddit are that well but everything I've heard about spez sounds bad and the business side seems fully behind him so they prolly have no idea how to run the community

on Twitter, half of the moderation is just people blocking people they don't like from replying to their stuff, the problem is the bad poo poo being on the site at all not barging into the more focused communities, and those have stayed because nowhere better for that thing, but on reddit everyone's in the same threads so the modding matters more for keeping say, the nazis from invading the leftist subs & stuff like that, it's gonna be a mess i feel like

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

i came back when lowtax died and now i'm back cause reddit's dead. i only come back when six-letter things die.

:ohdear:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Welcome goons who have been gone awhile!!!

SA has changed some, everyone is older, less arty content, way less edgy
Anyway
Here is a link to a recent post that highlights interesting threads

I hope you find it helpful when you are looking around.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033907

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

helno posted:

As a Reddit moderator…

Lol I would never admit to this

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bass.exe posted:

Reddit is useful if you think of all the megathreads in videogames, and see how they have ballooned over time. It get really hard to follow stuff of that size, especially if you are only looking for quick answers to issues about dialog options or bugs and don't want to wait for something you are pretty sure was answered elsewhere.

So now say the xenoblade megathreads over the years translated to reddit would be shattered into all these various discussions that are easily accessible via searching the subreddit or google. For Q&A and other things like "what does this status effect do exactly?" Its useful.

Well, there is the search function...

Although you do need to pay for it, iirc.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

helno posted:

As a Reddit moderator you have no idea just how many people beg to be made moderators.

You know you can just...not do it right?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ddiddles posted:

You know you can just...not do it right?

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
:ohdear:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

helno posted:

There's like some unspoken rule that if someone begs to be made a moderator, they'd be real poo poo at it and the only ones who do a good job would never volunteer for it. something something abuse of power or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FirstnameLastname posted:

modding is done almost entirely through the third party APIs they're cutting out

there's also, as far as i know a crazy amount done by a small # of people who are modding 500+ huge subreddits and have been doing it basically since the site started and if they lose them or make it so they can't do StarCraft apm modding 12h a day through the third party stuff they're gonna have a problem

the mods there curate much more and have to deal with way more racists and psychopaths than our small orbit of moderately familiar mentally ill reregs

i think it could be a very big problem for them if they lose the modteams of their political and humor and sports, gaming, music subreddits - theyre all pretty bad but they've developed specific flavors of bad that draw in their activity and if rhey lose too much of that people won't stay because nobody's deleting posts that don't fit right

the super big ones are easier but the mid sized ones i think they could have stuff wither away

because they're gonna lose a lot of their really active users from this, they're very heavily third party app users and switching to that trash app will kill it for them

the combo of those two will drain a lot of places out, they might refill but they might not and if they do they'll have lost any identity they had and be turned into pure advertising vectors prolly

it happened to digg over a restyle

I think that the mod tools getting axed is probably the funniest thing about this. The website already has a problem with prolific numbers of bot accounts and that is going to get significantly worse going forward. This change is effectively killing the only practical methods of dealing with them right now and as GPT models become more widely available for bots it's only going to get harder for humans to identify them.

The reason why they're jacking up the API prices is so that the website can sell access to its text posts to companies like OpenAI, which are scraping it for machine learning purposes. But poo poo tons of AI generated bot posts will make it a horrible source for training data. They're poisoning their own well twice over with this