Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Not picking on you here. More the general vibe around builds. But lol at a tier list. The game has been out for all of a week and I guarantee balance patches are coming in with season one if not before. Also I feel like people are chasing the most obvious stuff and neglecting other things because of the supposed meta. Someone linked a lightning storm druid a couple pages back that looked pretty wild for instance and I'm not hearing anything about that from the build sites. Granted I've not browsed them because I prefer to pilot a cluster gently caress of my own inept design but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Who the gently caress says Blind Burrows is one of the best nightmare dungeons to run in that tier list going around? Yes it's short but it's filled to the goddamn brim with overtuned poison nonsense. God drat I hate poison puddles as melee, if you get a bunch overlapping you better be quick on the dodge.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

Who the gently caress says Blind Burrows is one of the best nightmare dungeons to run in that tier list going around? Yes it's short but it's filled to the goddamn brim with overtuned poison nonsense. God drat I hate poison puddles as melee, if you get a bunch overlapping you better be quick on the dodge.

Optimal play must sacrifice whatever needs to go, including fun. Nothing else will do.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I freaking love Penetrating Shot rogue.

I click once and the entire screen explodes. The sound effect of it is maybe one hair below euphoric. It sounds like the AWP from CounterStrike and it’s followed by the room turning into a gore blender then loot shower.

I’m running Shadow Clone, Poison Imbue, Shadow Imbue, wildcard, Forceful Shot(?), Penetrating Shot.

I got the Rogue Unique Gloves that make a shadow-buddy appear on lucky hit and then the Imbuement aspects: Shadows get imbues + Imbues 40% more effective on Vuln. The shadows summoned by the gloves get the imbue :hellyeah:

I got a wildcard ability slot because Dark Shroud is generally underwhelming. I’m currently using Dash in that slot because getting some instant space is kinda nice, but maybe I’ll swap it for something else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jelly posted:

What's the difference between "end game" and "nightmare dungeon pushing"?

This is making me reconsider how I should respec once I hit 50.

The pages have descriptions but the tl;dr:
- end game is for the post 50 content as you level up and complete renown / work towards 100 / WT4
- nightmare dungeon pushing is the pinnacle experience and actual endpoint of content as you pushing for harder nightmare dungeons

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
gohrs work and stop working sometimes on zoning in and out, can’t pin down why exactly but it’s real dumb.

for the dungeon leveling, are you just doing un-sigil’d dungeon over and over? do you have to keep making sigils over and over to get ones that are ~3 levels above you and at the right dungeon?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heck if I know! My original point was all these Tier Concepts are silly!

Tier lists are dumb. "The Meta" being some sort of The Establishment to rally against instead of a bunch of people copying marginally more effective builds is dumb. Go read a build guide or whatever if you either need something to aim for or are having trouble and want other options. Using build guides/tier lists/whatever as a source of information is good. Using them as a source of validation is stupid.

As someone who went the ice shards route, what's the firewall build play like? What skills, how do you keep up mana, etc?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Requesting that I, dieZeige#1808, be allowed into the awful bone economy lodge

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

*finds some gear that boosts my skills*

drat...... drat this is like, S tier

*updates website*

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I literally only play meta builds because I just want someone to tell me how to kill the most demons fastest.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I like to let smarter / less employed people crunch all the numbers and figure out the optimal paragon board pathing etc but I still pick the build that sounds the most funnest

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Butcher spawned in my very first dungeon after switching to WT3, got him down after doing a bunch of Benny Hill style running around slinging bone spears at it while my corpse fart clouds and grim reapers chipped away. Ended up being a goofy but fun fight. Will hit 50 tomorrow and can figure out all this endgame poo poo I’ve been hearing about.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has anyone found anything related to the cow level yet? I know they data mined the assets for it already

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
lvl 67 and I still haven't seen a shockwave aspect drop yet. Considering just switching to a werewolf tornado build because I have everything for that just chillin in my stash. I honestly can't believe how rare that dumb aspect is

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
spin

to

win

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Floor is lava posted:

Has anyone found anything related to the cow level yet? I know they data mined the assets for it already

Rod Fergusson sez there currently isn't one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RoYHp7hA_4&t=2115s

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Played through to Act IV with a shred druid and really wasn't feeling it, every fight was a slog and my DPS felt really underwhelming.

Started again with a bone spear / corpse explosion necro and it feels much more decently balanced, guess I've found my class.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Least in Diablo 3 tier lists were based on what greater rift # the build could clear, a lower tier would be 5 GRs behind the one above it so the ranking actually made sense. It wasn't arbitrary and only mattered if you were trying to push leader boards.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do nightmare dungeon tiers determine what level the mobs are compared to you? I know higher tiers have more affixes and less revives but what else do they determine? I got my rear end kicked in a tier 17 dungeon so I'm crafting in the 6-10 range for now.

Do you have to max out every single activity in a region to reach the final renown reward? I was doing some bad math calculations in compared to what activities I have left and it seems like you might have to

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Lakbay posted:

Do nightmare dungeon tiers determine what level the mobs are compared to you? I know higher tiers have more affixes and less revives but what else do they determine? I got my rear end kicked in a tier 17 dungeon so I'm crafting in the 6-10 range for now.

Do you have to max out every single activity in a region to reach the final renown reward? I was doing some bad math calculations in compared to what activities I have left and it seems like you might have to

Yes, nm dungeon tiers change the level. I think it’s just literally dungeon tier # + 53 to get the monster level

No you don’t need to max every activity. I think I was only around 3/4 of the way through the side quests and maybe 1/2 through the dungeons when I hit cap in each region

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Lakbay posted:

Well I completed the regional renown grind (in the fullest sense of the word) for the bonus paragon points over the last few days, and in addition to my will to live, it took finding all the Lily statues, the entire map explored, about 70% of the quests because the rest are acquired from RNG mob/resource node drops, and additionally completing about 7-10 dungeons per region.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Penetrating Shot seems to be catching on as a Good Build. I've watched people play it and it requires a lot of kiting, which isn't as easy as Diablo 2 where most things shambled towards you Dawn of the Dead style. But I'm a flurry boy now, there's no going back for me now that I'm used to zooming into a crowd and exploding in a circle of blades.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The renown and statue grind is killing me. I've got only one area done for renown and half the statues.

Leveling has really hit a wall at 70, the dungeon loop used to take about 7 runs to level and it seems like it has almost doubled now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Penetrating Shot seems to be catching on as a Good Build. I've watched people play it and it requires a lot of kiting, which isn't as easy as Diablo 2 where most things shambled towards you Dawn of the Dead style. But I'm a flurry boy now, there's no going back for me now that I'm used to zooming into a crowd and exploding in a circle of blades.

I tried Penetrating Shot for like 40 minutes and couldn't stand having to kite and constantly reposition myself to line up the shots. I also kept dying since I'm so used to all the defensive and life on hit buffs you get from Flurry builds

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
I really don't care how my class is ranked by anyone other than me, but the sorc stuff is pretty legit. All the way back in the first weekend beta I hit max level (or close-ish, I forget if I stopped at like 23 or so), and I tried every skill to see what looked good. Hydra was really good back then, and they nerfed it into the ground since, and ice shards was the only other skill that didn't suck. I tried as hard as I could to get frozen orb to work, but the baseline numbers are just too low. Same with like 90% of the skills in the game apparently, which is pretty poo poo.

I'm sure a lot of this will get addressed in season 1, but it's insane to me that I could tell after five hours that a skill was wildly undertuned and somehow like four months later the numbers haven't changed at all. I get that they were trying to rush this thing out the door, but a lot of the skills people aren't using right now could easily be tripled in damage and still be pretty terrible in WT4...And one balance pass on the numbers would have made them good. It isn't like frozen orb, or blizzard, or all of the conjuration skills are bad mechanically or anything- They just needed tuning before the game got shipped.

And I think it would be less irritating if there were some nigh infinite number of skill choices like there are in PoE, where it's going to be almost impossible to balance everything, but outside of utility skills and generators each class has like eight skills. Six of those eight being useless -really- sucks.

tldr, I want to play frozen orb in WT4. Please buff frozen orb.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd love to make a frozen orb build but can't get it to work.

I am trying to collect up items to try and make blizzard work somehow. It has a high lucky hit chance it seems so maybe there's some proc options like that, I am still unclear though on what the 45 percent means. Is that 45 percent of hits or of crits?

Maybe if pushed lucky hit up used the meteor ability with immobilizing and the aspect that spreads status effects might work? Stack bonus to burning and chilled enemies and use firebolt passive as well. Frostburn gauntlet as well perhaps?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Astryl posted:

I literally only play meta builds because I just want someone to tell me how to kill the most demons fastest.

Pathetic

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ominous

Also gently caress this side-quest. The exploding zombies 2-shot the adventurers so it's impossible.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

flashman posted:

I'd love to make a frozen orb build but can't get it to work.

I am trying to collect up items to try and make blizzard work somehow. It has a high lucky hit chance it seems so maybe there's some proc options like that, I am still unclear though on what the 45 percent means. Is that 45 percent of hits or of crits?

Maybe if pushed lucky hit up used the meteor ability with immobilizing and the aspect that spreads status effects might work? Stack bonus to burning and chilled enemies and use firebolt passive as well. Frostburn gauntlet as well perhaps?

You can definitely make blizzard work, if by make it work you mean make it enable ice shards, in exactly the manner you're suggesting. I've seen a few builds floating around that do exactly that, though they're less optimized than the traditional ice shards builds people have been playing since beta. They're less gear intensive though, and have easier mana management. Could also probably put meteor in the second enchant slot, though I've seen frozen orb more frequently (And that's literally the only place I've ever seen someone use it lategame)

Lucky hit is basically a double roll. First it rolls to see if you got a lucky hit, then it rolls to see if you hit the 45% chance to proc the effect. The higher your base lucky hit chance the more often you'll get the freeze procs from blizzard. Luckily it's really easily to focus on getting a high lucky hit chance on sorc, and blizzard hits pretty quickly, so what you're trying to do will totally work...With ice shards. Without ice shards you'll freeze a bunch of stuff and then it'll unfreeze and murder you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barbarian question:

Rend it's cool but, does it stack in any way? It deals a bit of direct damage and a ton of bleed but with my current build I end having quite a bit of rage to spend and was wondering if it's worth mashing rend as spender or should I have something else?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DNK posted:

I click once and the entire screen explodes. The sound effect of it is maybe one hair below euphoric. It sounds like the AWP from CounterStrike and it’s followed by the room turning into a gore blender then loot shower.

I’m running Shadow Clone, Poison Imbue, Shadow Imbue, wildcard, Forceful Shot(?), Penetrating Shot.

I got the Rogue Unique Gloves that make a shadow-buddy appear on lucky hit and then the Imbuement aspects: Shadows get imbues + Imbues 40% more effective on Vuln. The shadows summoned by the gloves get the imbue :hellyeah:

I got a wildcard ability slot because Dark Shroud is generally underwhelming. I’m currently using Dash in that slot because getting some instant space is kinda nice, but maybe I’ll swap it for something else.

BIG same. The sound and feel for it is nailed so fuckin well. It keeps working exceptionally well for me in WT4 too.

The only downside is so many of the dungeons or activities and stuff just don't have nearly enough monsters to consistently make things pop.
It's called a HELLTIDE not "a couple of demons taking spring break on sanctuary, I guess", I shouldn't have to spend a minute running around trying to find a lonely pack of 5 monsters with no friends. It's a loving demonic invasion I should be downing in blood as soon as I step out of town!!!

The normal open world density is fine for just random mob population, but it's just kinda sad in too many of the dungeons and events.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Barbarian question:

Rend it's cool but, does it stack in any way? It deals a bit of direct damage and a ton of bleed but with my current build I end having quite a bit of rage to spend and was wondering if it's worth mashing rend as spender or should I have something else?

I'm running a bleed build and rend slaps. Bleeds stack.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got a weapon that increased my attack power from 4300 to 6500 so now me and the boys are gonna do some nightmare delving tomorrow I think hell yeah.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Was struggling for damage with a Pulverize build while I leveled and tracked down a couple aspects that seem clutch to it, making Pulverize an earth skill and making earth skills slow enemies. Not sure if it was that or the general increase in gear I got while doing it but goddamn it feels good now.

I also realized how many earth related aspects I have in general from leveling, how viable is an Earthbender build?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Butcher spawned in my very first dungeon after switching to WT3, got him down after doing a bunch of Benny Hill style running around slinging bone spears at it while my corpse fart clouds and grim reapers chipped away. Ended up being a goofy but fun fight. Will hit 50 tomorrow and can figure out all this endgame poo poo I’ve been hearing about.

I had butcher spawn on me in some ghuulraam (or whatever) dungeon in WT4, being like 10 levels below.

Thought I was dead for sure but then I found this magical spot in some wide open room and if I stood exactly there the butcher would freak out and run around erratically, while I could plink arrows into his firm buttocks.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNg-1tq0cAo

I am addicted to succ.
Gonna be sad until I can find a replacement Raiment of the Infinite.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Flurry has been the most fun rogue build, but I'm not sure which is the best imbue. Shadow/Clone or Death seems good but Poison with trap might be better because of the knockdown on poison trap with such a low cool down. I've found a lot of items that want to combo ice and poison but it hasn't seemed worth trying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I'm running a bleed build and rend slaps. Bleeds stack.

That's music for my ears. I'm running lunging strike/upheaval/iron skin/rally/death blow and want to swap things around bleeding.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Rend build owns, plus it feels cathartic for Conan to ride up to a demon, slice it's femoral artery and then traipse off to pick a flower while it gushes out it's HP and runs impotently after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DNK posted:

I've had trouble settling on skills for my penetrating shot rogue. Never occurred to me to double dip on imbuements, but that sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing.