Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hempuli posted:

Does anyone have a link to a webcomic that starts with a man saying 'Hello!' to the reader, hitting rock bottom in his life and being saved by a ramen shop owner? I think the name might've been just Hello!, and the setup built to a family drama featuring ramen business and fighting thugs with barstools. I had the comic bookmarked for a long time but the site died, and later on I lost the bookmark.

I think it was Great!!!. Was that one of Evan Dahm's comics? Or maybe by kiwisbybeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Hempuli posted:

Does anyone have a link to a webcomic that starts with a man saying 'Hello!' to the reader, hitting rock bottom in his life and being saved by a ramen shop owner? I think the name might've been just Hello!, and the setup built to a family drama featuring ramen business and fighting thugs with barstools. I had the comic bookmarked for a long time but the site died, and later on I lost the bookmark.

You are probably thinking of Great, by the dearly departed (I heard somewhere that he died but I’m not sure) Ryan Armand

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thank you both! I remembered the website being kiwisbybeat, but didn't dare bring it up in case I was confusing the name with something else (especially since Kiwi Blitz exists). Glad to see the comic is still around, at least in some form.

tinaun posted:

by the dearly departed (I heard somewhere that he died but I’m not sure) Ryan Armand
Dang, that's a bummer if so :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh no, I loved minus

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tinaun posted:

You are probably thinking of Great, by the dearly departed (I heard somewhere that he died but I’m not sure) Ryan Armand

And now I've read all of it and loved it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
fwiw i have not heard anything either way.

a fan put an archive together

https://kiwisbybeat.net/

im so stupid ppl linked to it right on this page. im blown away by this. what a find!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hempuli posted:

The comic is Great!, its author disappeared (Minus was another popular one of his), but there someone archived a lot of his comics somewhere, let me see if I can dig that up.

Also I have the book of the first half of Great and need to brag about that while I'm here. Okay one sec...

EDIT: the archive I had bookmarked is dead, but apparently fans bought the old actual domain the author (Ryan Armand) used, and have everything hosted there now. Weird! https://kiwisbybeat.net/

but yeah Great is definitely the comic you were thinking of, it's one of my favorites

edit again: jesus christ I was so excited to have recognized someone's description of a partly-remembered comic, that I didn't notice that was the end of a page not the most recent post. I've just duplicated everyone else's work here. I'm a fool. But I'm still happy to have been reminded of Ryan Armand's work, so all's well.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 21, 2023

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The last anyone seems to have heard from him is four years ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/webcomics/comments/8mqpnd/ryan_armand_still_seems_to_be_missing_without_a/ea351a8

How odd, for someone so prominent. I hope he is okay.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
it'd be funny if they ended up being the new Nancy author

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

speaking of surprises regarding authors I hadn't heard of in a while,

woah, the Dresden Codak author transitioned a while back! good for her! guess it's Lesbian fiction now. at least that's how she tags it on her tumblr now. still don't like that comic much

and the Vibe author swore off comics and is doing gamedev now

Ramie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 25, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm trying to figure out if it's intentional that the protagonists of A Girl and Her Fed have become the worst people in the world since the timeskip. It's been such a slow burn, combined with a change in artists, that it was hard for me to figure out the intention behind it, but the fact that Hope is the only person drinking wine at this table is starting to move me a little closer to "it's on purpose that she's awful these days."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

http://nobodyscores.loosenutstudio.com/index.php?id=101

Excuse me Sara but how the gently caress did you know about COVID this comic is from 2006

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=5059

Got at least a sensible chuckle out of me.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wilde Life: heck yeah love this. This lady has some serious impulse control issues.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m extremely hype for Wilde Life Cliff shaking his fist at Oscar because “you seduced and/or hooked up with some crazy lady trying to kill you AGAIN? God drat it”. Honestly though Birdie has been mostly sympathetic to me.

Her core issue is she made ONE really bad impulse decision and everything else since then has been panic and self loathing from the increasingly insane circumstances the one bad decision created.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this game trailer is relevant to the thread. idk if it's been posted before

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256936923/movie_max_vp9.webm?t=1683548438

a demo is available now just ahead of Steam Next Fest... I might play it... it's by the developer of Teslagrad, and World to the West

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 13, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had no idea what I was meant to be looking at til they revealed the character's face. :v

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the game is Girl Genius - Adventures in Castle Heterodyne if you were like me and had to solve the riddle of the sphinx

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had no idea what I was meant to be looking at til they revealed the character's face. :v
i will say that they definitely made some adjustments to make Agatha work in 3D in a way that ends up being appealing

it doesn't look super high budget but it is a legit indie developer. i was surprised. but it's a pairing that makes a lot of sense since Teslaglad is also a very clockworky steam-powery game

i don't post super much in webcomics threads anymore but i figured at least a couple of people would know girl genius, maybe even still read it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

im quite tickled by it and had no idea. good for them!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Phil Foglio scromiting uncontrollably as he is physically restrained from touching the tits and rear end sliders.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which happens about five seconds in, so what's the issue?

(I did see the trilobite in the first shot and thought "is that...?", but I wasn't sure.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lovely video buffering meant I didnt see that so it wasnt til a minute in hahah

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's even the point if you're not even going to adapt the art style, boycotting until they add at least 6x more gauges and poo poo and make the facial features float around like the blobs in a lava lamp

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It looks fun!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Those bastards are putting us back in the castle!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Return to Castle Namekstein

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Some nice webcomic shoutouts in the last screen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

Some nice webcomic shoutouts in the last screen

Foglio does that in the strip too. Mechanicsburg is plastered with adverts for Gunnerkrigg Court and the like.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wild life: fuckin' lol

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

Wild life: fuckin' lol

It's great. The comic can have some patches that are pretty slow burn, but overall it definitely slaps.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"I haven't EATEN yet because of this!"

As someone who was a teenage boy in the distant past, there is no statement more severe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This is probably my favorite Wilde Life story in a while. Spooky folklore poo poo, good character drama, A+ punchline absolutely howling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oscar’s gonna have to buy so much McDonald’s to get out of this jam

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

absolutely howling.

OK, who bought Cliff an account?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wilde Life truly rules. This story starts with bird lady seeming like such a mysterious, dangerous person. Nope, she's just some person with executive dysfunction who is in way, way over her head.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nope, didn't work.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

habeasdorkus posted:

It looks fun!

Early report from 90 minutes of playtime with the Adventures in Castle Heterodyne demo - short answer, it looks like a solid, fun game. It's a third-person action/puzzler game, I guess you'd call it a Metroidvania, since there's a hub, a fast-travel system, and upgrades to allow you to move around and reach new areas. Controls are pretty simple, movement, sprint, and a dodge-roll. Sprinting and rolling use up stamina, which recharges fairly quickly, but it prevents constant spamming of the roll which makes you invulnerable. You have 5 hearts to start and likely more, and you can carry around a special coffee (healing potion) which has 5 charges of 2 hearts (and that's a thing you can upgrade). At certain points you can refill your coffee for a fee of 10 screws.

There are resources in the game, screws (very common), gears (moderately common), power sources (rare) and some other things I haven't got names for yet (quite rare or special). Smashing scrap piles, enemy clanks, and breakable containers drop some resources (and the containers respawn).

Your first weapon is a fancy wrench (also upgradable), but there are clearly other weapons which will become available later. You can perform a 3-hit combo, with the last hit dealing extra damage and maybe having a slight AoE to it. It's easy enough when there are few foes, but when you are faced with a bunch at once, it can be tricky.

I got just past the "arena", which has a bunch of optional challenges you can do to earn resources, although many are locked and the required time is quite tight for the others.

Sometimes to open paths, you need to send out one of Agatha's little Dingbots through small cracks in the wall to find switches and get to certain machines which control important mechanisms. These are the puzzle parts. You need to rotate a key-like mechanism to point to one or more "tumblers", while avoiding the key touching some rotating electrical shockers. Touching an electrical shocker will turn on a failure light. You need to unlock all the puzzle tumblers to unlock one of the main tumblers. Get zapped too many times and you have to start over. Even the third one of these mechanisms starts having multiple mini-tumblers needed to be unlocked to unlock just one of the main ones.

The dingbot can also find its own tools to use, such as a propeller to fly up vents blowing air up, or drills to burrow into dirt to get past barricades or enemies. You can swap between Agatha and the dingbot by pressing a button, and holding it as the bot will recall it to Agatha (by seemingly destroying it).

I've also found a couple of hidden secrets which reward paying attention and puzzling things out. One of which was uncovered by whacking an exploding chick-bot at the right angle to fly into some debris and explode, clearing the path.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 19, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really loving this Wilde Life denouement of passively roasting Oscar. Cliff might as well be adding an “lol lmao” at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I read through Wilde Life's backlog a couple days ago and it's alright, I guess. It's a bit weird back to back how every not-gay woman of similar age to Oscar craves his instant-oatmeal rear end. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if he more regularly dressed/behaved like dreamy teen heartthrob Hank Hill: