Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

JJ Abrams would salivate at the chance to make 'drift warping' a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

If Mike McMahan does ever lurk on these forums I have a very important request I would like to see the USS Cerritos do an Akira slide

So what's the difference between this and the Enterprise-D Tokyo Drift sliding through the Borg hypercube at the end of Picard?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One is just an iconic animation shot of the highly advanced maneuver known as 'stopping'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is her spoiler-free review, it got cut off in the preview.

And if you don't want to invest 11 minutes, she got a 6-epsiode preview and loved it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

This is her spoiler-free review, it got cut off in the preview.

And if you don't want to invest 11 minutes, she got a 6-epsiode preview and loved it.

She also loved every second of Picard Season 3, so take it with a grain of salt marked "Woman who loves every Star Trek show equally loved new Star Trek show. Your own mileage may vary."

That said, it's SNW. They know how to make Good Trek. I'm not worried like I was with Picard.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm trusting that since they didn't take a gigantic dump in the middle of a crowded room last season there is no reason to suspect they will this year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The only negative review I've seen of it said it's slightly weaker than last year because overall the ensemble spend less time together on screen in favour of more character specific adventures.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

MikeJF posted:

If Mike McMahan does ever lurk on these forums I have a very important request I would like to see an Akira-class do an Akira slide

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'm trusting that since they didn't take a gigantic dump in the middle of a crowded room last season there is no reason to suspect they will this year.
I've seen enough shows have brilliant first seasons get completely hosed afterwards because the showrunners paid too much or too little attention to the reaction it got. As long as the SNW creators aren't reading Reddit I think it'll be fine.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
It's hard not to sound cynical writing this but imo SNW gets too much praise simply due to the fact how low standards have become for Star Trek.

Don't misunderstand me, it's competent and enjoyable enough but I'd be hard pressed to say that there was a single episode in its first season that truely elevated the material or was really outstanding. I'd even argue that the best parts were once again just repackaged "old" stuff but done in a competent way, not more and not less.

So on one hand I'm obviously glad to have SNW instead of another Picard or even Discovery but I also don't want to pretend that it has already reached any particular heights yet. It hasn't done anything memorable yet or added anything meaningful to the Star Trek universe/setting so my question is if SNW is able to do that in the future and whether or not it can produce episodes (or even episodic arcs) that can stand amongst the best of Star Trek and aren't just a lesser copy of past episodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For the first season of a Star Trek show it was downright spectacular

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LinkesAuge posted:

It's hard not to sound cynical writing this but imo SNW gets too much praise simply due to the fact how low standards have become for Star Trek.

Don't misunderstand me, it's competent and enjoyable enough but I'd be hard pressed to say that there was a single episode in its first season that truely elevated the material or was really outstanding. I'd even argue that the best parts were once again just repackaged "old" stuff but done in a competent way, not more and not less.

I get what you are saying about A Quality of Mercy because, yah you took one of the best episodes of television ever and remade it with some minor tweaks.

But, looking at the episode list here is everything I would say is good to great:

Spock Amock
The Serene Squall
The Elysian Kingdom

Good acting, good writing, good plotting on all of these. I liked most of the other episodes of the season but I get it if they aren't considered good or classic by other people.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Quality of Mercy is great because those tiny tweaks turn a thriller into a tragedy, the context the story happens in is completely different even if 90% of the events in the plot are the same. That episode was some real primo Star Trek right up there with similar episodes like Tapestry and The Visitor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

If Mike McMahan does ever lurk on these forums I have a very important request I would like to see the USS Cerritos do an Akira slide

Surely an Akira Class Starship should do it...?

efb, there was another page :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a valid point though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

LinkesAuge posted:

I haven't seen Discovery or Picard and I enjoyed SNW a lot, so no, plenty of people like it on its own merits.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TrekMovie’s review of the first six episodes can be summed up as “fun, but a little inconsequential”. Though apparently the reviewer hated Spock Amok, so…

Honestly it sounds like we’re getting a season of fun space hijinx, with maybe the heavy hitters in the last four.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HD DAD posted:

TrekMovie’s review of the first six episodes can be summed up as “fun, but a little inconsequential”. Though apparently the reviewer hated Spock Amok, so…

Honestly it sounds like we’re getting a season of fun space hijinx, with maybe the heavy hitters in the last four.

Good. Good! There's nothing wrong with inconsequential, I am so loving tired of everything having to be BIG IMPORTANT STAKES all the time. I just want to see my space people do fun space things.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HD DAD posted:

You could say the same of DS9's baseball card episode, or TNG's "Data's Day," and even Enterprise's mirror universe episodes. Ten episodes of that in Strange New Worlds land sounds dope.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I hope we find out that all the little side adventures the crew had along the way actually prevented a Galaxy-destroying threat, who only gets a 5 second cameo after the credits.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

She also loved every second of Picard Season 3, so take it with a grain of salt marked "Woman who loves every Star Trek show equally loved new Star Trek show. Your own mileage may vary."

That said, it's SNW. They know how to make Good Trek. I'm not worried like I was with Picard.

She actually doesn't. She hated the Season by the end, saying that it might be on par with S1 of Picard's awfulness, but in a different way. And she has numerous issues with it that echos the general sentiment of this thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, people are remembering her initial reaction for that season, which was similarly based on screeners for the first half dozen and by episode 6, most of us here were like "Hey, this has been p deece so far".

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yep. i really hope they're not doing the picard season 2/3 thing where the episodes handed out for reviewers were fine but the back half is absolute dogshit stupid

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Lol thinking picard season 3 was decent by episode 6

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah it really sucked from episode 3 or 4 onwards once they got the plot going

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

bltzn posted:

Lol thinking picard season 3 was decent by episode 6

Episode 4 I think skewed the average in such a way that I was willing to forgive more glaring flaws in the episodes immediately following it because they had demonstrated that they were capable of at least making one good episode and thus hopefully they could maintain this track record. The decline was obviously setting in from that point onward though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

She actually doesn't. She hated the Season by the end, saying that it might be on par with S1 of Picard's awfulness, but in a different way. And she has numerous issues with it that echos the general sentiment of this thread.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, people are remembering her initial reaction for that season, which was similarly based on screeners for the first half dozen and by episode 6, most of us here were like "Hey, this has been p deece so far".

Ah, so she had the same reaction as a lot of folks here of "Wait, this is actually... good? What? Ah, there it is! Nevermind lol"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Each season of Picard starts to suck the moment they stop setting up the pieces and start playing the game.

The unique thing about Picard is that's halfway through the season, somehow.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Because Strange New Worlds is mostly standalone, a streak of bad episodes or bad writing won't retroactively ruin the entire season.

It'll probably be fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah, so she had the same reaction as a lot of folks here of "Wait, this is actually... good? What? Ah, there it is! Nevermind lol"

I was loving warning all of you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The writing was on the wall with Picard S3 when they spent three episodes doing nothing in the nebula because WoK had a big nebula battle scene everyone loves. From the start the warning signs were there

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

At no point was there a single episode of Picard S3 that you could call genuinely competent, much less good, so I still don’t know what the gently caress some of you were watching. Individual good moments? Sure. Whole scenes? Entire episodes? Absolutely loving not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember almost immediately there being this weird plane split where some people I guess were watching a different cut of the show with the different performances and scenes. There were more splits each episode after but some sailed straight through as the chosen ones who liked the whole thing and don't see what the problem was for anyone else.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Your Picard season 3 rating changes with how long you are impressed by the cast razzle dazzle vs how quickly you notice anything else about the show. Also this debate reaffirms my commitment to not bother to watch youtube tv reviewers

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Your Picard season 3 rating changes with how long you are impressed by the cast razzle dazzle vs how quickly you notice anything else about the show. Also this debate reaffirms my commitment to not bother to watch youtube tv reviewers

Honestly, it's poo poo from episode 1 where Crusher's giving picard a code based on a thing he wasn't there for
Just stupid writing all the way through

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

Honestly, it's poo poo from episode 1 where Crusher's giving picard a code based on a thing he wasn't there for

That was hilariously dumb. Otherwise though, I'll die on the hill of Episode 4 being the only episode of Season 3 that's decent enough to watch all the way through because it's the only one that has a complete self-contained narrative arc and a nice payoff at the end. The rest of the season is a trash fire save for sporadic moments that are pretty good on their own ala Season 1.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

I haven't seen Discovery or Picard and I enjoyed SNW a lot, so no, plenty of people like it on its own merits.

That doesn't contradict what I wrote. "Too much" shouldn't mean it doesn't deserve any praise but it's easy to overlook its weaknesses due to how starved everyone is.

Like I have yet to see a really original standalone episode that actually has something deeper to say or really hit you emotionally. I think Pike's little tragic story has the potential but imo it wasn't quite focussed enough and runs into the danger of being spread so thin that it could lose its punch in the end.
This isn't a new issue, we had these discussions back with Voyager and certainly with ST:Ent so my question is still whether or not "modern" Trek has something interesting (and new) to say or if its doomed to just recycle past ST in a very shallow way that is pretty shiny and probably enjoyable but has just no depth.
I have honestly already problems to even remember specific SNW episodes outside of a generic "that was okay and didn't bother me" feeling.

I'm certainly not a big Voyager fan but even I can admit that it produced at least some very strong single episodes with an interesting SciFi concept/story. That show of course had a lot more chances to do so but so far I can't really say that SNW has done much in that regard.
Of course SNW only had one season so far which is why I don't want to be too harsh but I'm still asking myself "where are the cool SciFi concepts/stories in my Star Trek" because SNW still has that "nuTrek" feeling that it is desperately trying to be "STAR TREK!!!" instead of coming up with actual interesting SciFi stories (or even some interesting world building) and the very early (reintroduction) of Kirk only fuels my scepticism.

So I guess my biggest (personal) issue is that I just don't see SNW pulling off "high concept" stuff. I would love to be proven wrong but even the early reviews for the new season make me rather pessimistic in that regard. I'm also not sure that "fun adventures" is really the tone Star Trek was ever shooting for so it always confuses me when people bring that up like Star Wars and Star Trek has just mixed together in their mind.

And not to be misunderstod, "adventures" of course happened in Star Trek along the way but the "adventures" weren't the point, it's about the characters, the moral dilemmas and even the world building within all of that which made Star Trek stand out and I feel nuTrek doesn't quite get that. "The Inner Light" wasn't such a beloved episode because Picard happened to be on some zany, alien world where hijincks occur, instead we see the "boring" life of Picard becoming an old family man. Another great example is "In The Pale Moonlight" which is a great episode because we experience it through Sisko and thus the story gets elevated beyond just the mere moral dilemma of the situation (and that's of course also only possible because Ds9 did some very great world building up to that point so that the context gave this particular story even more power).
That introspective angle seems to be missing in nuTrek. Instead everything and everyone is "extroverted", if there isn't action outside there is no action inside and most of the time there is only "action" outside.

Well, I hope I'm not just rambling and my words make some sense.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

Even that could have been turned into something half-cool. Set it up to look like they’re doing a retcon with the BOBW virus, get Riker and Picard to steal the ship and go to the designated coordinates, and then Geordi or who the gently caress ever pops in and goes “uh captain, that didn’t happen”.

BOOM Riker and Crusher are changelings and it’s a trap.

Still not fantastic, but goddamn that could have been an easy win.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

LinkesAuge posted:

That doesn't contradict what I wrote. "Too much" shouldn't mean it doesn't deserve any praise but it's easy to overlook its weaknesses due to how starved everyone is.

Like I have yet to see a really original standalone episode that actually has something deeper to say or really hit you emotionally. I think Pike's little tragic story has the potential but imo it wasn't quite focussed enough and runs into the danger of being spread so thin that it could lose its punch in the end.
This isn't a new issue, we had these discussions back with Voyager and certainly with ST:Ent so my question is still whether or not "modern" Trek has something interesting (and new) to say or if its doomed to just recycle past ST in a very shallow way that is pretty shiny and probably enjoyable but has just no depth.
I have honestly already problems to even remember specific SNW episodes outside of a generic "that was okay and didn't bother me" feeling.

I'm certainly not a big Voyager fan but even I can admit that it produced at least some very strong single episodes with an interesting SciFi concept/story. That show of course had a lot more chances to do so but so far I can't really say that SNW has done much in that regard.
Of course SNW only had one season so far which is why I don't want to be too harsh but I'm still asking myself "where are the cool SciFi concepts/stories in my Star Trek" because SNW still has that "nuTrek" feeling that it is desperately trying to be "STAR TREK!!!" instead of coming up with actual interesting SciFi stories (or even some interesting world building) and the very early (reintroduction) of Kirk only fuels my scepticism.

So I guess my biggest (personal) issue is that I just don't see SNW pulling off "high concept" stuff. I would love to be proven wrong but even the early reviews for the new season make me rather pessimistic in that regard. I'm also not sure that "fun adventures" is really the tone Star Trek was ever shooting for so it always confuses me when people bring that up like Star Wars and Star Trek has just mixed together in their mind.

And not to be misunderstod, "adventures" of course happened in Star Trek along the way but the "adventures" weren't the point, it's about the characters, the moral dilemmas and even the world building within all of that which made Star Trek stand out and I feel nuTrek doesn't quite get that. "The Inner Light" wasn't such a beloved episode because Picard happened to be on some zany, alien world where hijincks occur, instead we see the "boring" life of Picard becoming an old family man. Another great example is "In The Pale Moonlight" which is a great episode because we experience it through Sisko and thus the story gets elevated beyond just the mere moral dilemma of the situation (and that's of course also only possible because Ds9 did some very great world building up to that point so that the context gave this particular story even more power).
That introspective angle seems to be missing in nuTrek. Instead everything and everyone is "extroverted", if there isn't action outside there is no action inside and most of the time there is only "action" outside.

Well, I hope I'm not just rambling and my words make some sense.

Agreed. I was happy with SNW in comparison to Picard but the things you mention are what I liked the best about TOS, TNG, and DS9 and I still found SNW lacking in those areas. Hopefully we get more of that stuff as the show finds its legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Picard S3 feels like a 14 year olds self-insert fanfic. This is fine as long as I pretend it's my fanfic, but when I remember someone got paid for this I get irritated.