Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got the feeling that the first two games sold well on their own merits, while Valhalla sold well on Odyssey's, but you're right.

It's just funny because a decade or two ago they said no ninjas. Then someone else made Ghost of Tsushima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Runa posted:

I got the feeling that the first two games sold well on their own merits, while Valhalla sold well on Odyssey's, but you're right.

It's just funny because a decade or two ago they said no ninjas. Then someone else made Ghost of Tsushima.

Oh probably, a lot of people seemed dissatisfied with multiple aspects of Valhalla and honestly for good reason. I think, whatever you may think of Ubisoft’s design style, they may have actually been smart enough to recognize that bigger stopped being better somewhere around 2/3rds through Odyssey and that’s why we’re getting Mirage.

That said, I think it’d be a somewhat immense mistake not to make the feudal Japan game a bit open world, at least.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I remember being hype for Skull and Bones when it was first announced maybe ten years ago, thinking it’d be a spiritual successor to AC Black Flag. Now I’m just hype to see how horrible it ends up

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How's Beyond Good and Evil 2 coming along? I'm sure it's about to release any day now right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they have to do it all over from scratch because they found a really bad glitch in the evil

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

How's Beyond Good and Evil 2 coming along? I'm sure it's about to release any day now right?

It was canceled imo. Its been too many years now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It was canceled imo. Its been too many years now.

That’d be the sane option but the timeline of BG&E2 is anything but.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Outlaw combat looks kinda mid but overall the game has my interest

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like Ron Gilbert got shafted with that SOT DLC
https://www.pcgamer.com/monkey-island-creator-ron-gilbert-wasnt-involved-with-the-sea-of-thieves-dlc-happened-behind-my-back/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lest the headline mislead,

quote:

Gilbert's initial replies made it sound like he just woke up one day to discover that Monkey Island is coming to Sea of Thieves, but he later clarified that's not actually the case. "I was given a heads up before the announce, but wasn’t given an opportunity to be meaningfully involved," he said. "I do wish the game well. I love Monkey Island."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

yeah he was shafted, but it was many many years ago by an american corporate doctrine that says your employer owns your creations

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There are many many Monkey Island games without Gilbert's involvement and Gilbert was not the sole creative driving force of what made the games good.

Nobody's talking about approaching David Grossman or Tim Schafer for their blessing on this DLC.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

fez_machine posted:

There are many many Monkey Island games without Gilbert's involvement and Gilbert was not the sole creative driving force of what made the games good.

Gilbert was involved with 1, 2, and the most recent right?

3 was good. 4.....eh. Did telltale do 1 or 2 seasons? I don't honestly know if I ever heard boo about those.

I'd say the man's track record is decent even if auteur theory is bunk.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Return to Monkey Island was very good, bad ending aside (because that's typical for Ron Gilbert anyway)

so the Capcom showcase only had one real announcement, which is that Ace Attorney Trilogy 2: Apollo Justice is coming in 2024, which brings the remainder of the Ace Attorney series (except for Investigations) to all platforms. the visuals in the HD upgrade to 4 look a lot better than the original HD trilogy's traced-over drawings. And of course 5 and 6 are 3D and look just fine.

Pragmata was delayed again, Monster Hunter Now is a smartphone thing with Niantic (it did look to have Monster Hunter gameplay but who knows how it will control), and they talk a decent amount of time about Exoprimal and Dragon's Dogma 2, so if you want to learn more about those games I'd recommend looking it up on Youtube and watching the back half.

there's also a sale on most platforms for Capcom's 40th anniversary so stuff like Megaman Zero/ZX Collection is $10 for example, Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2 bundles are on sale, etc.

if Ace Attorney 7 exists beyond the NVIDIA leak, which I continue to maintain it does not (either cancelled or restarted in development), it would probably show up at TGS.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I guess there's only so much you can do with the open world arcade racer format, but if you've told me that Motorfest trailer was an old Forza Horizon 5 trailer (a game I spent 70 hours in) I might have believed you, at least at a quick glance.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

there's also a sale on most platforms for Capcom's 40th anniversary so stuff like Megaman Zero/ZX Collection is $10 for example, Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2 bundles are on sale, etc.
Thought about mentioning it before since the 40th anniversary sale started days before the show, but the Capcom 40th Anniversary Pack is a pretty good variety package starting at $50 US

quote:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Resident Evil (2002 Gamecube remake)
Monster Hunter: World
Mega Man Legacy Collection (the NES games, I-VI)
Devil May Cry HD Collection (the PS2 trilogy, 1-3)
Okami HD
Onimusha: Warlords
Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle (Final Fight, Captain Commando, The King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors, and Battle Circuit)
STRIDER (2014)
It's in the Steam "complete-a-bundle-for-less" style, too. They're all pretty solid titles at minimum, and the only thing to note here is that World is the base game (Iceborne is 50%, too, currently).

There's also a Capcom Fighting Bundle on sale with

quote:

Street Fight 30th Anniversary Collection (arcade versions of Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II CE, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III: New Generation, Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact, and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike)
Capcom Fighting Collection (arcade versions of Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors, Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge, Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire, Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers’ Revenge, Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire, Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness, and Red Earth (*1 Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers’ Revenge and Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire are Japanese versions only))
for a lot of older Capcom fighters if you're not on the Street Fighter 6 train yet. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite are also on sale, but it looks like Street Fighter IV and V aren't (they probably will be in the Summer Sale, though). In fact, it looks like pretty much EVERYTHING in the Capcom catalog currently purchaseable on Steam is on sale except the Street Fighters from 4-6.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fortune's Run is the Eye Divine Cybermancy baby we were waiting for
I love it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

It looks like there's a Blood Dragon map, or at least, a super neon stage that had a neon dragon in it.
Jeff Gerstmann says that Motorfest's gimmick is basically that the visual style of the world and your capabilities change for every vehicle type. So if you're in one of those old 80s sedans the world will be slightly desaturated like old VHS footage and you won't have a GPS or whatever, modern-day sportscars make the colours more vibrant, and future-y cars go full neon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Kins posted:

Jeff Gerstmann says that Motorfest's gimmick is basically that the visual style of the world and your capabilities change for every vehicle type. So if you're in one of those old 80s sedans the world will be slightly desaturated like old VHS footage and you won't have a GPS or whatever, modern-day sportscars make the colours more vibrant, and future-y cars go full neon.
huh, that's interesting. not interesting enough for me to want to buy and play an ubisoft game but at least conceptually it's interesting

there are definitely people at ubisoft that have interesting ideas, it's just upper management i assume that wants to make the same 3 games over and over

e: i'm nearing the end of My Time at Sandrock early access content. I said that before but I'm pretty sure it's accurate this time. I've put more time into the game than TOTK. I'll be glad to be on to other things soon. I'll definitely play a lot of demos this month, that's for sure. And then in July maybe I'll get back on the game-beatin' saddle. the game maintains a goofy tone throughout but the stakes are definitely higher than in Portia. it seems like the third game might just be flat out set during wartime

e: e: I've downloaded my first batch of Summer Game Fest demos: Battle Shapers, Botany Manor, Fortune's Run, Leximan, Lil' Guardsman, My Friendly Neighborhood (since people say I'm being unfair to it...), Sludge Life 2, Station to Station, Steamworld Build, VideoVerse

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 13, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you still find wireless dongles? I tried to find one a while back and they were basically defunct. I ended up buying a bluetooth controller instead, which is fine since all my computers use bluetooth, but still.

My 360 wireless is a fuckin champ, I'll replace it when it stops working but on current performance that will be around 2043

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Upsidads posted:

I love it

Don't you dare get my hopes up that high...

Please. I just want my broken legs heart mended.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Parallelwoody posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmondTran/status/1668322778548965376

Maybe they've started making Shirley Temples from that warehouse of lemons.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 13, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Remember Jade? She's back, in Solo form!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The HD remaster of Ghost Trick has a demo now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967430/Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective/

Haven't played it yet, but I assume the demo portion is the first chapters of the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

The HD remaster of Ghost Trick has a demo now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967430/Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective/

Haven't played it yet, but I assume the demo portion is the first chapters of the game.
The news post on the store page says it covers the first two chapters and lets you carry your progress over to the full game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

PowerBeard posted:

Don't you dare get my hopes up that high...

Please. I just want my broken legs heart mended.

I had to staple my hosed up legs from a bad fall then I went back and shot some hoops with a cool alien

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

sebmojo posted:

My 360 wireless is a fuckin champ, I'll replace it when it stops working but on current performance that will be around 2043

Oh yeah I used mine for ages and it still was working great (once you forced it to get recognized as a controller in Device Manager), the controller died before the dongle did and it wasn't worth it for me to try and find a compatible one over just using Bluetooth one that can also be used for xbox.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

fez_machine posted:

Nobody's talking about approaching David Grossman or Tim Schafer for their blessing on this DLC.

To be fair, they probably wanted to meet their deadline.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Upsidads posted:

I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3fenLLhMIo

:kstare:

ok ya, this looks sick, added to wishlist

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Fortune's Run gets there. I played the demo a while back and it was pretty rough but you could see the potential of the game almost immediately.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Wheres the sound track?!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hyper light breaker dev was on IGN's stream talking about the game. says it's influenced by nier automata. wants to find the right balance of metaprogression between Hades (aka a lot) and Spelunky (aka none). there will be currency you bring back and schematics, gear to upgrade/equip. there's a jump button now

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Sadly I think I'm done with the System Shock Remake. I'm on Executive and the cyberspace level there at some point throws you into a funnel full of mines, I have no idea how to get through there. I wish they let you change the difficulty mid game, cyberspace is incredibly tiresome and it takes far too long to take down all of these waves again just to repeatedly die at the same part.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xbox Deep Dive Recap

Harebrained Schemes' next game, The Lamplighters League, releases on October 3 and will be day 1 on Gamepass. It takes their typical mix of adventure/RPG gaming and TBS battles and places it in a pulpy 1930s adventure setting.

High on Life is getting a content update called High on Knife. I can only assume Justin Roiland isn't involved?? Because if he is, lol.

The First Descendent (2023) is Nexon's attempt at a Destiny-like, a f2p solo/co-op shooter with powers on cooldowns, additional 4-player raids, powered by UE5. The dev claims that cosmetics are the most requested feature from players, which... somehow I doubt. I mean I know people like fashion, but this is a f2p game, we know what cosmetics means in this context. There will be a crossplay beta test from August 22-28.

Hi-Fi Rush is getting an Arcade Challenge Update on July 5, which adds two new arena modes. In one mode, the BPM increases over time (all the way up to 200bpm), and in the other, Power Up Tower Up, is set in a new rhythm tower with 5 new tunes and 2 new enemy types, where you start off depowered and have to build yourself back up floor by floor. Both modes are unlocked by beating the game, and accessing the newly added arcade cabinet in your hub. There are also new outfits for characters in a few styles, updates to photo modes, and "hidden secrets".

ID@Xbox Sizzle reel (no dates on these but some of those we know already): Drag Quesen, Sonzai, Slime Heroes, Naiad, Spirit Swap, Botany Manor, Despelote, Island of Winds, Psychroma, El Paso Elsewhere

Go Mecha Ball (2024) is a twin stick shooter roguelite where you have the ability to roll into a ball and spin dash like Sonic. It looks pretty dang fun, even if it is a filthy roguelite.

Lightyear Frontier showed up, but I wasn't paying attention sorry. Not sure if a date got announced but probably not.

Sizzle reel (same deal): Another Crab's Treasure, Little Kitty Big City, Techtonica, Sea of Stars, Harold Halibut, Galacticare, Mineko's Night Market, Neon White, The Bookwalker, and The Wandering Village are all coming to Gamepass.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 13, 2023

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hi-Fi Rush was an absolute treat, so I will gladly accept more of it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even though 7th Guest went over it earlier, I'm gonna link the trailer to Everdeep Aurora because it really sold me on it. Great character designs and gorgeous music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNSmKU9sp0

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

is there no goon Asus Rog Ally thread?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Upsidads posted:

I believe you just volunteered to make one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I dont got mine yet
Im intrested in it and the steam deck but for games that my switch wont play and generally are novel to play on the go.
however that list I want to play on handheld is rough,
Highfleet, Hero's Hour, Dwarf Fortress, Rift Wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Upsidads posted:

I'm more of a gamer democrat