Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

How popular is Tolkien outside of English speaking cultures? Or I guess more broadly western based fantasy, because the concept of orcs has spread via World of Warcraft and D&D as much as its Tolkien progenitor.

I know other cultures have their own pantheon of fantasy races, but I don't know much beyond vague familiarity with the Witcher series which I guess is based in Polish folklore. I don't recall orcs being a thing there.

What metrics do you want to run off to define popular by culture?

Personally I think I first remember orcs as "AD&D monster" and "Warhammer army faction".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I prefer the original link:

https://english.nv.ua/life/orcs-ask-to-stop-comparing-them-to-russians-in-a-video-ukraine-news-50264141.html

https://opengovus.com/sam-entity/C3EYB5KBVLE7

Publishing House Media Dc LLC
86, Kyrylivska Street, Kyiv, 04080, UKR
Overview
PUBLISHING HOUSE MEDIA DC LLC is an entity in Kyiv, registered with the System for Award Management (SAM) of U.S. General Services Administration (GSA). The entity was registered on July 24, 2017 with Unique Entity ID (UEI) #C3EYB5KBVLE7, activated on November 15, 2022, expiring on November 15, 2023, and the business was started on March 24, 2014. The registered business location is at 86, Kyrylivska Street, Kyiv, 04080, UKR. The current status is Active. The entity structure is 2K - Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership. The business types are A8 - Non-Profit Organization. The officers of the entity include Olha Demidova.

Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

HMMMMMMMM.

Lol what a bizarre detail to list for a news company

Besides the founding date being just after the maidan

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Lol what a bizarre detail to list for a news company

Besides the founding date being just after the maidan

They'd work a lot better as a propaganda arm if they didn't leave a digital footprint wider than their arse across the internet.

But again, they're a certain group of americans. Self promotion and public CVs for next_job might work in regular land but come on, doing that when you're making propaganda? loving fail kids.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DancingShade posted:

What metrics do you want to run off to define popular by culture?

Personally I think I first remember orcs as "AD&D monster" and "Warhammer army faction".

How much penetration does the idea of 'orc' have in Eastern Europe? Based on the popularity of Lord of the Rings, WoW, and D&D I would guess most Americans are familiar with what an orc is, but is it as common elsewhere?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

How much penetration does the idea of 'orc' have in Eastern Europe? Based on the popularity of Lord of the Rings, WoW, and D&D I would guess most Americans are familiar with what an orc is, but is it as common elsewhere?

Warhammer is pretty popular. Back when I still hammed the war I bought my fair share of 3rd party original resin sculpts from Eastern and Southern Europe. Italy, Ukraine, Poland etc. Top quality originals, all deserving of a better painter than my ten thumbs.

The problem with calling Russians "orcs" as I see it is the WH40k faction "orks" are really loving good. Like I haven't played for a long time but my old chaos marines would get rolled up most of the time against an orc opponent because they out melee'd and out shot me.

So calling Russians "orcs" is more funny than anything. As a 40k player I wouldn't see it as derogatory but as a comical moniker. Oh those orks, they're loving unstoppable once they get a good waaaah going, haha. etc

It's fail kid propaganda.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah orcs are evil in lotr but outside of that aren't they mostly loveable scamps?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't think it's any less common than elsewhere. I don't know anyone who hasn't either read/watched Lord of the Rings, or played WoW (or earlier Warcraft games), except very old people. WoW used to have (has?) dedicated Russian servers. The LotR films were well into the era when Western films got dubbed into Russian and shown in cinemas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

yeah orcs are evil in lotr but outside of that aren't they mostly loveable scamps?

From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse, a controversial Eldar philosopher

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Xanthius, High Lord of Terra

The Orks plague the galaxy from the end to end with their ceaseless warring and strife. They are a race rooted so deeply in war that peace is utterly incomprehensible to them. They cannot be bargained with or bought save with weapons that they will inevitable turn against those who tried to bribe them. I pray with all my faith that some great catastrophe will annihilate them but I fear that ultimately it is they, not we, who shall rule the galaxy.

Genetor Aurelius Thoze, Adeptus Mechanicus Xenobiologist.

Ork Physiology is fascinating and terrifying in equal measure, demonstrating inhuman degrees of resilience to the point where they can withstand seemingly fatal wounds with little apparent long-term consequence. Indeed, Orks witnessed suffering fatal wounds in the midst of heavy fighting have often been observed again several days later, larger and stronger than they were before their injuries and with no sign of those wounds save for some largely superficial scarring.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Western fail kids wearing Ukraine skins making propaganda:

#1 (wearing Marvel comics t-shirt) Let's call Russians orcs, that'll show them. lol!

#2 (wearing vegan life t-shirt) Right on, how about a craft IPA at the local brewery on our walk to the vegan street food vendor?

Tell me I haven't encapsulated it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn’t the cringe Harry Potter musical lady the Biden Admin hired to be truth tsar or whatever start out in one of these organic Ukrainian NGOs that arose after March 2014?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn’t the cringe Harry Potter musical lady the Biden Admin hired to be truth tsar or whatever start out in one of these organic Ukrainian NGOs that arose after March 2014?

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/person/nina-jankowicz

Nina Jankowicz studies the intersection of democracy and technology in Central and Eastern Europe. She is the author of How To Lose the Information War: Russia, Fake News, and the Future of Conflict (Bloomsbury/IBTauris). Ms. Jankowicz has advised the Ukrainian government on strategic communications under the auspices of a Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy Fellowship. Her writing has been published by The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Atlantic, and others. She is a frequent television and radio commentator on disinformation and Russian and Eastern European affairs. Prior to her Fulbright grant in Ukraine, Ms. Jankowicz managed democracy assistance programs to Russia and Belarus at the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs. She received her MA in Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service, and her BA from Bryn Mawr College.

Digital footprint. Arse wide.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DancingShade posted:

I prefer the original link:

https://english.nv.ua/life/orcs-ask-to-stop-comparing-them-to-russians-in-a-video-ukraine-news-50264141.html

https://opengovus.com/sam-entity/C3EYB5KBVLE7

Publishing House Media Dc LLC
86, Kyrylivska Street, Kyiv, 04080, UKR
Overview
PUBLISHING HOUSE MEDIA DC LLC is an entity in Kyiv, registered with the System for Award Management (SAM) of U.S. General Services Administration (GSA). The entity was registered on July 24, 2017 with Unique Entity ID (UEI) #C3EYB5KBVLE7, activated on November 15, 2022, expiring on November 15, 2023, and the business was started on March 24, 2014. The registered business location is at 86, Kyrylivska Street, Kyiv, 04080, UKR. The current status is Active. The entity structure is 2K - Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership. The business types are A8 - Non-Profit Organization. The officers of the entity include Olha Demidova.

Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

HMMMMMMMM.

what's the link between that vu website and publishing house media llc?

that ukr voice site is registered as VYDAVNYCHYY DIM MEDIA-DK LLC which seems like a different thing?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

DancingShade posted:

Warhammer is pretty popular. Back when I still hammed the war I bought my fair share of 3rd party original resin sculpts from Eastern and Southern Europe. Italy, Ukraine, Poland etc. Top quality originals, all deserving of a better painter than my ten thumbs.

The problem with calling Russians "orcs" as I see it is the WH40k faction "orks" are really loving good. Like I haven't played for a long time but my old chaos marines would get rolled up most of the time against an orc opponent because they out melee'd and out shot me.

So calling Russians "orcs" is more funny than anything. As a 40k player I wouldn't see it as derogatory but as a comical moniker. Oh those orks, they're loving unstoppable once they get a good waaaah going, haha. etc

It's fail kid propaganda.

i'm suddenly reminded of the head of that bolivian NGO that was bleating about evo morales burning down the rain forest who couldn't stop mentioning all over her social media accounts that she was the great-granddaughter of a former bolivian dictator

if the fail kids don't plaster their identities all over their propaganda how will anyone higher up in the state department ever know it was them who made it???

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

that ukr voice site is registered as VYDAVNYCHYY DIM MEDIA-DK LLC which seems like a different thing?

Use a VPN so your computer thinks you aren't American and do some google searches.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

double nine posted:

click the donate button and check out who it wants US and EU citizens to send money to

oh and VYDAVNYCHYY DIM MEDIA-DK LLC is just PUBLISHING HOUSE MEDIA-DC LLC in romanized ukrainian lol

BEAR GRYLLZ has issued a correction as of 11:39 on Jun 13, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

i'm suddenly reminded of the head of that bolivian NGO that was bleating about evo morales burning down the rain forest who couldn't stop mentioning all over her social media accounts that she was the great-granddaughter of a former bolivian dictator

if the fail kids don't plaster their identities all over their propaganda how will anyone higher up in the state department ever know it was them who made it???

Gotta self promote for the next gig once the current one starts to dry up.

I just realised this is basically propaganda by Etsy with more pretense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Warcraft Orcs, even as early as Warcraft 2, were characterized as being more than simply pure evil and had a complicated past that tried to contextualize their conflict with Humans (and other races), with Warcraft 3 and WoW expanding on this concept greatly

even the tabletop RPG industry went through this whole cycle in tune with the George Floyd protests where they acknowledged that writing entire fantasy races as merely being uniformly and "naturally" evil was problematic and have tried to move in a different direction as a result

and then Feb 2022 hits and all that poo poo goes out the window: Russians are Orcs, and Orcs are uniformly bad, by birthright

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

holy poo poo the emoji

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Weird Al

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha 1 posted:

You don't have to wonder where they're supposed to get a fourth army from. Ukraine is already begging for more tanks!
https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1668236708171620352

Regarde Aduck posted:

holy poo poo the emoji

Where are your Leopards Ukraine? What did you do with all the tanks we just gave you?!?

I don't normally post image responses owing to how annoying they are on mobile. So apologies if that was out of line but it just seemed to fit.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

this reminds me, didn't they make a warcraft movie? is it any good?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

They'd work a lot better as a propaganda arm if they didn't leave a digital footprint wider than their arse across the internet.

But again, they're a certain group of americans. Self promotion and public CVs for next_job might work in regular land but come on, doing that when you're making propaganda? loving fail kids.

it's not like you have to be subtle about these things when your target audience consists of western shitlibs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tazjin posted:

I have it on Blu-ray! I don't know. I'm not young enough to enjoy those sorts of things anymore.

Seemed well made, I guess. Cheesy high budget.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tazjin posted:

I liked it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tazjin posted:

from what I recall it did poorly everywhere outside of China where it did gigantic numbers for some reason

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

even tolkeins orcs were corrupted versions of the originals, like saruman built super soldiers of them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWW6__7ogf4

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Is the Warcraft movie good? I wouldn’t call it a bad movie, and I even think it holds up well in a lot of ways, it is just sort of puzzling. There are some interesting choices made in it for sure, but ultimately I think you can say that it was made by people who were fans, but kind of weird, like aliens who happen to be very earnest Warcraft fans and don’t quite seem to understand what makes the setting fun for people.

I feel like if they went in a more zoomed in direction more like the recent D&D movie it might have been more successful ,but you could tell they really were excited to tell the whole overarching epic Warcraft story with sequels planned and everything so it was kind of all over the place as one movie.

Definitely some good orcs in it for sure. Strongly recommended 10/10

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Warcraft Orcs, even as early as Warcraft 2, were characterized as being more than simply pure evil and had a complicated past that tried to contextualize their conflict with Humans (and other races), with Warcraft 3 and WoW expanding on this concept greatly

even the tabletop RPG industry went through this whole cycle in tune with the George Floyd protests where they acknowledged that writing entire fantasy races as merely being uniformly and "naturally" evil was problematic and have tried to move in a different direction as a result

and then Feb 2022 hits and all that poo poo goes out the window: Russians are Orcs, and Orcs are uniformly bad, by birthright

On a slight tangent, but the Pathfinder people recently decided that the Drow - the race of black skinned elves who mostly live underground in a femdom society that worships an evil spider goddess - weren't worth trying to redeem and they're ditching them entirely as part of their effort to fully differentiate themselves from D&D. Now the menace of the underworld in Pathfinder products is going to be snake people. Its a loss for spider themed femdom lovers, but I think sometimes its worthwhile to stop trying to fix an inherently lovely concept and just chuck it in the trash and start over.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ah, the underground reptiloids. A classic.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Nix Panicus posted:

On a slight tangent, but the Pathfinder people recently decided that the Drow - the race of black skinned elves who mostly live underground in a femdom society that worships an evil spider goddess - weren't worth trying to redeem and they're ditching them entirely as part of their effort to fully differentiate themselves from D&D. Now the menace of the underworld in Pathfinder products is going to be snake people. Its a loss for spider themed femdom lovers, but I think sometimes its worthwhile to stop trying to fix an inherently lovely concept and just chuck it in the trash and start over.

It's kind of funny that the most meaningful usage of the drow in recent memory was killing that one episode of Community stone dead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

Sexy snake ladies > man eating spiders, was the logic I suppose.

It all depends on how good the cheesecake art is really. Some kind of modern Larry Elmore who can crank out lots of ladies in metal underwear, which is magic so it doesn't pinch in ways that would make anyone's eyes water.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

Ah, the underground reptiloids. A classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2o_7YdbXY

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slavvy posted:

There will be no civil war, just a protracted political instability motivated factional insurgency conflict

The American Emergency

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

orcs in Tolkien are only “evil” becuase the entire narrative is from the POV of the elves and their allied people (ie NATO)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

The American Emergency

A mostly peaceful emergency, says the government endorsed reporter in front of a burning city skyline covered in plumes of smoke.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wasn't there a rewrite of LOTR to invert that and see it from the perspective of the orcs

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a rewrite of LOTR to invert that and see it from the perspective of the orcs

The Last Ringbearer, which is a Russian book (tellingly!!)

seriously though it's not very good, it's kind of a waste of the concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

John Charity Spring posted:

The Last Ringbearer, which is a Russian book (tellingly!!)

seriously though it's not very good, it's kind of a waste of the concept

quote:

Two Orc soldiers ("Orc" being a racial slur used by the West: the Orcs in Eskov's book are humans), ...

:magemage: