Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bring back the teen fighters but have them in their 20s now. If all the SF2 classics are getting older, they should too. :v:

Makoto should still be the shortest character in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Modern Jamie is a real pain in the neck to fight

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

He's not wrong, you're just bad. It's been like this for over a decade. If you walk forward, and then do fireball, you're inputting (623)6. The way around this is going back to neutral before inputting the fb or doing a half circle input.

Dunno what to tell ya other than it worked for me. Quit getting angry over video games and just chill my dude

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bring back the teen fighters but have them in their 20s now. If all the SF2 classics are getting older, they should too. :v:

technically they did this because cammy is the same age as sakura

i only learned about this today as a cursed sf lore thing but cammy is fuckin 17 in her first appearance, and sak is 16 in alpha, which takes place very shortly (1yr-ish) before sf2

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well I have achieved Platinum 1 with Manon, and I gotta say, as much as I like this character, it is really obvious where her weaknesses are once the more competent players starting matching up. Still like playing but it just feels frustrating that enforcing any kind of pressure is extremely difficult since everything she does is negative. Zangief may not being doing great but at least he has plus frames. Lily can also Condor Spire and get plus frames to enforce command throw pressure. That's compounded by her drive rush going absolutely fuckin nowhere even though Juri and Dee Jay can cross the entire screen with theirs then combo you for 40% and zoom up again. Even if you manage to get in, half the cast has a DP to force you back to neutral so you have to respect that -- which in turn also dampens your already-weak pressure.

don't get me wrong, I don't think she's terrible and there's a lot of work I personally need to do to improve, but it just feels exhausting to run into a zillion of Cammy/Ken/Ryu/Dee Jay/Juri and struggle to get offense going since they don't really have to respect anything Manon can do while smothering her with their own pressure.

but hey, at least I made one Ken rage-quit and another put down the controller after eating the same jump-in punish multiple times. :evilbuddy:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
q + necro + dudley + makoto please. these are the characters that i think would be incredible in sf6.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Can't wait for hugo and hakan to come out.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I skipped like 15 pages and virtualboyCOLOR is still on their wonderful journey of discovering input leniency in modern fgs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if the high level players turn negative edge on or off? Or if it's down to preference?

I'm not sure if I should have it on or off.
I've been playing for enough years to generally not have any issues with inputs but also my execution is not great.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Everyone keeps running away after I get a single victory with Blanka. :(
Except the one other Blanka player I went up against in all of 4 hours who went 7 games with me. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hogama posted:

Everyone keeps running away after I get a single victory with Blanka. :(

That's the life of the blanka player.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just went from silver 2 to silver 5 on a ten win streak, I absolutely love that mechanic because grinding it out one 50 point victory at a time would be awful.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

i would argue that it's actually harder past a certain point to win on modern if you're not doing motion inputs, since the drive gauge you're investing into combos gives you fewer returns, meaning it's easier to get pushed into burnout without actually getting someone into lethal range in turn. once you get to the point where people are comfortably executing classic inputs at high success rates, then winning depends entirely on your ability to outthink and outmaneuever them

I think you've gotten to the reason I think modern is so much more fun than classic - when I'm playing modern online, I feel like I'm playing against the opponent and it is a game of constant tactical back and forth, trying to psyche the other out or surprise them. On classic, I feel more like I'm playing against myself and rarely get to the mental game with the opponent because I'm consumed with trying to get off a combo. It's like modern is a shortcut to the fun part of this game.

As for losing parts of kit on modern - I think it must vary a lot depending on character. Kimberly doesn't seem to lose much at all, just a couple of normals which I think are functionally the same.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How the gently caress is there still not a mod for the game that skips all the intro videos?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

a lot of the fun for fight games for me is struggling with the finger puzzles and having continual improvement be my goal with every match

that way if im mad at how the results are instead of getting tilted or salty im thinking about how i hosed up with my execution and gameplan vs "the opponent totally has a lag switch guys"

modern controls dont have any appeal whatsoever because of that. i aint here to smash, im here to fight these streets

what i do love about modern controls is that it brings new blood in without having to deal me what i love about the game. on top of that they made it competative and somehow balanced. its what sf needed more than anything so i wont shittalk anyone rockin the m next to their name

i may go a lil harder on em though

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Modern players: thanks to this new control scheme I can focus on my tactics and the elaborate back and forth dance with my opponent.

Also modern players: Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Me, a classic player: Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bleck posted:

Me, a classic player: Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZWArSOmCc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

But who is Sho and why isn't he together with Ryu and Ken?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There seems to be a very obvious abandonment of Cammy. I didn't fight a single one (I play Cammy) last session. Got Ken every third round and a mix otherwise. I actually fought a Blanka. That was humiliating for me. Also fought a JP for the second time. Humiliating for him.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man you all are talking about tiers and the virtues of modern vs classic and I'm here in World Tour Mode, trying to cheese the 'do a 6 hit combo' mission by using hundred hand slap and command throwing the guy 5 times in a row before pulling it off.

I am so bad at inputs I don't even understand. I mean the PS4 controller isn't optimal for fighting games I'm sure but holy poo poo it can't all be the controller.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JBP posted:

There seems to be a very obvious abandonment of Cammy. I didn't fight a single one (I play Cammy) last session. Got Ken every third round and a mix otherwise. I actually fought a Blanka. That was humiliating for me. Also fought a JP for the second time. Humiliating for him.

She's the third most played character.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Man you all are talking about tiers and the virtues of modern vs classic and I'm here in World Tour Mode, trying to cheese the 'do a 6 hit combo' mission by using hundred hand slap and command throwing the guy 5 times in a row before pulling it off.

I am so bad at inputs I don't even understand. I mean the PS4 controller isn't optimal for fighting games I'm sure but holy poo poo it can't all be the controller.

Most common beginner mistake people do is use the stick when they should be using the dpad.
If you're already using the dpad then the rest is just practice. It's like learning to play an instrument.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JBP posted:

I had to deal with like ten Cammy matches going from Gold 5 to Platinum 1 tonight and it was a nightmare

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

The easy way to cheese it is Chun-li style and OD thousand kicks into another thousand kicks.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jack Trades posted:

Most common beginner mistake people do is use the stick when they should be using the dpad.
If you're already using the dpad then the rest is just practice. It's like learning to play an instrument.

I am already using the Dpad. I had one of those nice SFIV 360 pads a decade ago. I was better with that. I also had a ton of practice.
I'm just trying to figure out how I turned a quarter circle back to a half circle back 5 times in a row.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Not all DPads are created equal. The Xbox 360 controller for example is a great controller in so many way but has a garbage tier dpad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jack Trades posted:

She's the third most played character.

I think it's dropping off from general scuttlebutt. I wouldn't be surprised if the most played shifts with a month. Apparently Cammy was top tier in V and she's no longer that.

Maybe this will hit the scrub tiers faster because she's not that easy to play.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Holy gently caress lol

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How many of you aren't going anywhere but the Fighting Grounds? I haven't felt the need to do anything other than training or online matches so far. I guess the world tour stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Having a lot of fun though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

He's down with the samurai these days.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gunder posted:

How many of you aren't going anywhere but the Fighting Grounds? I haven't felt the need to do anything other than training or online matches so far. I guess the world tour stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Having a lot of fun though.

Same. I think world tour is a great addition but doesn't offer me much.

Training mode is fantastic in this though. Has so many quality of life things.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Gunder posted:

i only touched world tour to make a freak goblin human to run around the battle hub in

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i sort of got bored of world tour around chapter 8 but i'll probably complete it at some point. the main motivation is to unlock other outfits but i like kimberly's main outfit fine so it's no rush.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

How do you do a 1 frame double-qcf? I'm trying to do Jamie's Intermediate 9 and the 6 + HK -> Super part is tough. I can't buffer the first qcf or a different move comes out, so I have to do 2*qcf in the space of like a milisecond and how are you supposed to be that fast??

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

I think world tour mode's pretty good.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What characters would you all say translate the best to modern controls? Or in other words, lost the least?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I wonder if SF6 tries not to give you mirror matches or something? I've only played two cammy's and they were both terrible :shrug:

I feel like the ranking system is going to take a while to shake everyone out to where they're supposed to be, because man I run into some people as I've been climbing where I just have no idea how they got there. Then every once in a while I run into someone that's really good and wonder why they're still here

Really wish I'd just chosen advance day one so I didn't have to grind characters up as much

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I wonder if SF6 tries not to give you mirror matches or something? I've only played two cammy's and they were both terrible :shrug:

I feel like the ranking system is going to take a while to shake everyone out to where they're supposed to be, because man I run into some people as I've been climbing where I just have no idea how they got there. Then every once in a while I run into someone that's really good and wonder why they're still here

Really wish I'd just chosen advance day one so I didn't have to grind characters up as much

I got placed in Gold with Guile winning 7 out of 10 of my matches, which is hilarious because I really don't enjoy playing him. The few actual Gold matches I've done have shown that it was a mistaken placement heh. And it's especially weird because I won 7 out of 10 with Zangief too and got Silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What characters would you all say translate the best to modern controls? Or in other words, lost the least?

Lily, Luke.