Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Randalor posted:

I've never had a problem with OoT's water temple and I STILL have a knee-jerk reaction to hate water temples (it's because heavy water segments in games not meant for them are poo poo)

Water Temple's two biggest issues were the iron boots requiring pausing and changing the menu screen to put them on/off, and that one goddamn key in the center tower that's easy to forget like was mentioned earlier. Speedrunners have added a few QOL things like putting boots/ocarina on d-pad buttons which immediately improve the game, and the 3DS remake also had a similar thing so it's way better on both versions.

It also has the Dark Link fight which negates some of the bad, and for as annoying as water level puzzles can be, the central room with the changing water levels is still an extremely cool and memorable setpiece.

I remember Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess having a worse water temple IMO, where changing the direction of flowing water down different staircases was the big gimmick, and for some reason I thought that was harder to keep track of than just raising and lowering the water level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That was twilight princess. Skyward swords water dungeon is in hell

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

That was twilight princess. Skyward swords water dungeon is in hell

oh poo poo, I forget that's the water temple in skyward sword. I should replay that one, I remember it being a bit railroady but that one and the sandsea are absolutely killer. Plus it's got groose

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah the ancient cistern somehow exceeds in not only being the games best dungeon but one of the best in the series I think

water dungeons have come far

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like a water temple setup might range from tolerable to all-time classic level with modern movement controls, graphics/lighting and navigation aids but the OoT incarnation and gamers' collective memory has well and truly poisoned that particular well

original OoT Water Temple is bad. also this is coming from a weirdo that cut my zelda teeth on MM first and while I struggled with Great Bay Temple, still enjoyed it. also GBT is still one of zeldas best water temples.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Great Bay Temple's really good, turns out letting you swim and providing a trackable path of things to do are what you need to make a fun water dungeon.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
as someone who's played a fair bit of OoT randomizer, I can assure you that the worst temple in OoT is easily the fire temple. Oh, you accidentally tilted the control stick slightly the wrong direction? Time to fall eight floors down and waste several minutes climbing back up.

Apart from the iron boots equip issue, the water temple is Good, Actually.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do the fire mazes in Fire Temple have hint sear marks on the ground? i seem to remember not and some good newer games have invis/raising walls that give hints so you can do it faster if you notice that hint.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey can I ask a dumb question?

Zelda is the titular Twilight Princess, right? It doesn't turn out to be Link or that thing following him around, right?

e: folllowup question, is she also the titular Skyward Sword?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

Zelda is the titular Twilight Princess, right? It doesn't turn out to be Link or that thing following him around, right?

It's been a while but I think the Twilight Princess is meant to be Midna, who has been turned into an imp and follows you around the whole game. The Skyward Sword is the master sword, the magic weapon that Link obtains in most of the games.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also Skyward Sword is sort of about creating the master sword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's about creating a lot of the reoccurring elements of the series.

And also not, because BotW is the first game. I honestly respect it, I hope they keep trying on new explanations for the timeline every so often.

'There's only one Link, Zelda, Ganon/Ganondorf at any point but OoT, Minish Cap, and Spirit Tracks all happen at the same time' 'Link's Crossbow Training is the first game in the series' 'The Fairy of Winds in the Twilight Princess boomerang is in the Link Between Worlds boomerang as well'

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Agreed an ongoing timeline leads to lovely and cringe writing, happens to any good story in any medium. Best let the next team take their own spin at the mythos, it worked great for botw and ToTK

Don't even get me started on multiverse stuff where All The Things Can Happen and it's not lazy writing at all. It's like everybody collectively decided yeah we don't need any good content or well paid writers anymore just multiverse that bad boy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never saw the point in thinking the games need to be lined up in some order. Zelda games will keep being made because they are profitable. Besides, none of the games have had decent stories since Wind Waker.

Also, Ys is better.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

credburn posted:

Link is in fact the twilight princess. He is also the skyward sword, The windwaker and the ocarina of time. Each games subtitle refers to a different aspect of his personality. It’s very deep.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought Zelda was the guy in the green tunic

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Link is in fact the twilight princess. He is also the skyward sword, The windwaker and the ocarina of time. Each games subtitle refers to a different aspect of his personality. It’s very deep.

Oddly enough, this doesn't apply to Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never saw the point in thinking the games need to be lined up in some order. Zelda games will keep being made because they are profitable. Besides, none of the games have had decent stories since Wind Waker.

Are we counting non-canon games in that? Because the one where a time sorceress got hot and horny for Link so she broke reality so hard that all the timelines collapsed into a single point was pretty entertaining.

quote:

Also, Ys is better.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The last good Zelda story was Majora's Mask, because it was literally just "It's a time loop of the apocalypse" and that fuckin' rules. :colbert:

Randalor posted:

Are we counting non-canon games in that? Because the one where a time sorceress got hot and horny for Link so she broke reality so hard that all the timelines collapsed into a single point was pretty entertaining.

....Okay, to be fair, I forgot about that one, ha.

Content: I accidentally keep hitting the Start button in Buried Stars (a mystery visual novel), which is NOT the pause/menu button, but the fast-forward-the-text button!

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Jun 12, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Besides, none of the games have had decent stories since Wind Waker.

I'm sorry? Twilight Princess had a great relationship between Midna and Link, and the original villain was fun up til the end just made it Ganondorf again. The bit where Midna's forced into the realm of light and you have to get her to safety as she's badly weakened was a very effective setpiece.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might be mixing up how much people talked up how you could tackle dungeons in a more randomized order since you can buy all the items but I thought people generally liked A Link Between Worlds' story.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The only real issue with the changing of the water level in OoT is that you have to go to specific spots to set it to specific levels and that is a huge pain if you missed something and have to backtrack. If they'd given you a song or tool or something it wouldn't be as bad

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Leal posted:

I thought Zelda was the guy in the green tunic

No, that's Zelda's monster.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

There is absolutely nothing hidden about that compartment :colbert:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Skulker posted:

There is absolutely nothing hidden about that compartment :colbert:

Until you opened it, it was hidden. You couldn't know that what was inside was a compartment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Stardew Valley, a sad sack of poo poo gave this quest to Emily's wife.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Cythereal posted:

"Tonight, on Stardew At 5...a local blacksmith, found dead! Authorities say the only clue is a handwritten note stuffed in the corpse's mouth...more after these messages from our sponsors!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

SOUNDS LIKE A REAL CLINT

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, seems like accurate depiction of incel behavior.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

I might be mixing up how much people talked up how you could tackle dungeons in a more randomized order since you can buy all the items but I thought people generally liked A Link Between Worlds' story.

I liked it as a bit of a mix-up to the usual formula. Was nice having the villain be someone that wasn't following the same staples as pretty much every other Zelda game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finding some of the artefacts in Wall-E (PS2) is a bit annoying as they aren't listed in order, so the one that I thought would have been the first artefact in the shipyard level was actually right at the end. No wonder I had a hell of a time finding the fucker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I liked it as a bit of a mix-up to the usual formula. Was nice having the villain be someone that wasn't following the same staples as pretty much every other Zelda game.

It's like how people like the Megaman X Command Mission plot because the villain wasn't sigma again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Starting to become convinced that Zelda has crafting because Nintendo knows youtubers will generate a whole viral ad environment for them for free, in the firm belief they're making bank from ad money on Nintendo's back. Some dude spends five hours building a dick that shoots fire, Nintendo knows he will and makes a crafting system that allows you to build a dick that shoots fire, every video like that is one where people go "look at this game, you can build a dick that shoots fire, I need that", meanwhile in the actual game you do not need a dick that shoots fire at any point.

I cooked five chilly meals preparing for the hot region, figured it was on the casual side but would surely work somehow, then it turned out to be a 20 minute walk to the shop with heat resistant gear, and I didn't need a single of those meals, because 19 of those minutes I was able to walk in the shade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nintendo knows youtubers

This is the bit I have trouble with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tunicate posted:

It's like how people like the Megaman X Command Mission plot because the villain wasn't sigma again.

Command Mission's plot was interesting enough, with a twist so basic and obvious they had to misspell a character's name in the instruction booklet to prevent children from figuring it out seeing it next to another name. Also Epsilon had a pretty cool design.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tears of the Fandom

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Diablo 4
You extract Legendary powers to attach to weapons later. This is how they are displayed in your inventory:

Also check out this town map. I'm the arrow in the upper part next to the stash/chest. It takes exactly 16 seconds to walk to the mortar/pestle shop at the bottom.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vic posted:

Also check out this town map. I'm the arrow in the upper part next to the stash/chest. It takes exactly 16 seconds to walk to the mortar/pestle shop at the bottom.

I'm surprised they haven't condensed this formula down to like a town screen. Those 16 seconds add up. Are you allowed to run in town?

credburn has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Jun 13, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its because they made it semi mmo and learned nothing from WoW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ZeusCannon posted:

Its because they made it semi mmo and learned nothing from WoW

i think the lesson they learned from wow is "we can do whatever and people will pay for it"