Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

supreme court justice vince mcmahon

A written dissent that just says "God drat, pal!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Supreme Court's product has gone markedly downhill for the past decade (at least), and although this was a promising storyline it's way too early to start talking about a return to the glory days of the 90's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pro wrestling really does explain so much about American culture and politics.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s totally fake and a bunch of rich white men control everything? Sounds about right.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I for one want to see a new Nation of Domination run wild on the political scene body slamming republicans.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Has anyone proposed that the decline of pro wrestling and its perceived legitimacy has contributed to the rise of the American alt-right, since the white proletariat no longer have a quick and easy fix for their desire to see foreigners and big-city types get their comeuppance?

e: I'm not saying that I personally believe that, only that it sounds like the sort of thing that someone would suggest.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Has anyone proposed that the decline of pro wrestling and its perceived legitimacy has contributed to the rise of the American alt-right, since the white proletariat no longer have a quick and easy fix for their desire to see foreigners and big-city types get their comeuppance?

:hmmyes: There is also an interesting political note in that the WWF's most successful period, namely the Attitude Era, took place largely during the Clinton Administration, and its most popular storyline revolved around a beer-swilling redneck from Texas beating up and getting petty revenge on his millionaire boss who lived in Connecticut.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

something something modern gladiators something something sports entertainment

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/FLIk1Ly.mp4

Bouncing 2 knees to the face. You dont see poo poo like that anymore

which is bad

Wee fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 12, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:hmmyes: There is also an interesting political note in that the WWF's most successful period, namely the Attitude Era, took place largely during the Clinton Administration, and its most popular storyline revolved around a beer-swilling redneck from Texas beating up and getting petty revenge on his millionaire boss who lived in Connecticut.

Who was it that Vince was feuding with when he did that storyline where he was kept drugging his wife to keep her catatonic while he would position her wheelchair to force her to watch him make out with a female wrestler? Eventually at WrestleMania, female wrestler decided she'd had enough of being molested and sabotaged Vince's plan and Linda woke up to I think interfere with his big match.

I want to say that was against Austin too, but can't be bothered to look it up.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Cat Hatter posted:

Who was it that Vince was feuding with when he did that storyline where he was kept drugging his wife to keep her catatonic while he would position her wheelchair to force her to watch him make out with a female wrestler? Eventually at WrestleMania, female wrestler decided she'd had enough of being molested and sabotaged Vince's plan and Linda woke up to I think interfere with his big match.

I want to say that was against Austin too, but can't be bothered to look it up.

That would be Shane, his legitimate off screen son. The fun part is that he lost the match and showed his rear end in a big way (which, to be fair, Vince was very good at when it’s time for the catharsis/payoff).

However, being Vince McMahon, he made sure to do a run-in at the end of the night and stand tall after helping Austin do a heel turn by bludgeoning Rock to death with like a zillion chair shots.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bloodysabbath posted:

That would be Shane, his legitimate off screen son. The fun part is that he lost the match and showed his rear end in a big way (which, to be fair, Vince was very good at when it’s time for the catharsis/payoff).

However, being Vince McMahon, he made sure to do a run-in at the end of the night and stand tall after helping Austin do a heel turn by bludgeoning Rock to death with like a zillion chair shots.

Story wise at least it makes sense for it to be Shane.

Agreed that Vince is really good at being a heel and then giving us dumb marks what we want. Unfortunately he also needs to be the center of attention sometimes. He used to have a fake CEO so he could just be a lowly announcer, but then other times he'll see Kevin Owens have a hugely popular match where he gets his rear end kicked by Stone Cold Steve Austin and think "I should go get my rear end kicked too, even though I look a million years old and can't take a stunner anymore."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vince is a person who desperately, desperately needs therapy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

professional wrestling his his therapy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Then it ain't working.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Correct

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Baron von Eevl posted:

Agreed. Vince is also the type of person who will never, ever, EVER admit he needs help. The man hates sneezing and giraffes on the basis of 'it makes him briefly lose control of himself' and 'nothing that large should be a herbivore'. He cannot admit weakness, and therapy is about doing just that. Even if you tied him down and forced him, it would accomplish nothing.

Vince is very much a lost cause, even when he was young. You can't help someone who doesn't believe they don't need help.

To counter that grimness, here's Mean Gene goofing around with other wrestlers when stuff makes their takes fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNpqNpsCJQ

(I find it a little heartwarming that 'Julie' seen during the Greg Valentine bit, if Wikipedia is correct, married Valentine in 1995 and they've been married ever since. On the assumption it's a good marriage, of course. Vince and Linda have also been together for decades, and I sure as poo poo wouldn't call their marriage 'good').

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah, Vince is just like the most toxic bundle of trauma and fragile masculinity imaginable.

edit also he may very well be some kind of reptile in a human suit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reptiles are way more chill.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The McMahons are a power couple, not unlike Lord and Lady Macbeth

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Story wise at least it makes sense for it to be Shane.

Agreed that Vince is really good at being a heel and then giving us dumb marks what we want. Unfortunately he also needs to be the center of attention sometimes. He used to have a fake CEO so he could just be a lowly announcer, but then other times he'll see Kevin Owens have a hugely popular match where he gets his rear end kicked by Stone Cold Steve Austin and think "I should go get my rear end kicked too, even though I look a million years old and can't take a stunner anymore."

for a while gorilla monsoon was the onscreen wwf president because Vince's dad was best friends with him and made Vince promise to always have a job for him

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

for a while gorilla monsoon was the onscreen wwf president because Vince's dad was best friends with him and made Vince promise to always have a job for him

It wasn't only that; Monsoon held shares in the then-WWWF, and when Vince bought the company, as part of the arrangement to purchase the shares held by Monsoon, he did so in return for a guarantee of lifetime employment.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Considering how good Monsoon was as a commentator, especially besides Bobby Heenan, it was money well spent.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

more like gorilla mongoon

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gorilla Monsoon on commentary would regularly make references live on air to the ongoing child molestation in the company because he thought it was funny.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Gorilla Monsoon on commentary would regularly make references live on air to the ongoing child molestation in the company because he thought it was funny.

Afraid I'll need some proof of that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He would reference the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense" which was basically the ring boys learning how to keep from being sexually assaulted by Terry Garvin.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He would reference the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense" which was basically the ring boys learning how to keep from being sexually assaulted by Terry Garvin.

loving lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SatansOnion posted:

The McMahons are a power couple, not unlike Lord and Lady Macbeth

Out! Out, damned high spot!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

While I don't know if there's anything else for me to effortpost about besides trying to finish that drat far back wrestling history thing, this should be a good substitute for a more modern wrestling thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaDAzXVycR4

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Haven't had the time to watch that video yet, but the dude behind it once got me emotional about a drawing of Jon Arbuckle as an archangel slaying a demonic Garfield, so I'm pumped for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You all need to read Ringmaster, the new Vince McMahon biography by journalist and pop culture critic Josie (formerly Abraham) Riesman. I read it last month and loved it. I already knew quite a bit thanks to this fascinating thread, but Riesman did her research, and it took her to all kinds of dark depths. She also draws parallels between pro wrestling and modern politics, especially the rise of Trump and the alt-right. I strongly recommend it.

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

Cornwind Evil posted:

While I don't know if there's anything else for me to effortpost about besides trying to finish that drat far back wrestling history thing, this should be a good substitute for a more modern wrestling thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaDAzXVycR4

I have been dragged back into following wrestling since I started reading this thread a year ago. I have honestly found the bloodline stuff to be very entertaining from a production standpoint (head of the table intro with the belts being raised is just fantastic imo). So I watched this last night while taking care of some stuff around the house.

I do think there are times it tries to overgeneralize, and makes a very clear attempt for that emotional reaction roman couldn't get for so long. But dang, I don't regret watching that for a second. It was really awesome and helped not only cover the bloodline but really hit how storylines are as fluid as they are.

Thanks for posting (and all those write ups you and the others have done, I have learned so much!)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tonight is the AEW/NJPW crossover PPV Forbidden Door. It's kind of rad that it exists in this kind of capacity now. Last year's show was cursed in the lead-up as various wrestlers like CM Punk and Bryan Danielson had to bow out due to injury and some of the big names in NJPW didn't take part for one reason or another. The show didn't have much in terms of crossover dream matches that would build up hype.

Then it ended up being one of AEW's best shows ever and completely kicked rear end. Now the second Forbidden Door appears to be the kind of show that will meet its potential for what an AEW/NJPW crossover could be.

Because I've been busy as hell lately, I won't be writing up the backstories of these matches, but here's what's going on tonight:

ZERO HOUR PRE-SHOW:

- Athena vs. Billie Starkz
Women's Owen Hart Cup Tournament first round match

- United Empire (Jeff Cobb, Kyle Fletcher, and TJP) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Shingo Takagi, Bushi, and Hiromu Takahashi)

- Stu Grayson vs. El Phantasmo

- Mogul Embassy (Swerve Strickland, Toa Liona, and Bishop Kaun) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero and Trent Beretta) and El Desperado

MAIN SHOW:

- Kenny Omega (c) vs. Will Ospreay
IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship

- Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada

- Sanada (c) vs. "Jungle Boy" Jack Perry
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

- MJF (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
AEW World Championship

- Le Suzuki Gods (Chris Jericho, Sammy Guevara, and Minoru Suzuki) vs. Sting, Darby Allin, and Tetsuya Naito

- Blackpool Combat Club (Jon Moxley, Wheeler Yuta, and Claudio Castagnoli), Konosuke Takeshita, and Shota Umino vs. The Elite ("Hangman" Adam Page, Matt Jackson, and Nick Jackson), Eddie Kingston, and Tomohiro Ishii

- CM Punk vs. Satoshi Kojima
Men's Owen Hart Cup Tournament first round match

- Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Daniel Garcia
AEW International Championship

- Toni Storm (c) vs. Willow Nightingale
AEW Women's World Championship

- Adam Cole vs. Tom Lawlor

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I'm kinda shocked...Shibata's retirement was the reason I stopped actively following wrestling. Is he back full time? Also Danielson vs Okada holy gently caress this might cause me to relapse :aaaaa:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flinger posted:

I'm kinda shocked...Shibata's retirement was the reason I stopped actively following wrestling. Is he back full time? Also Danielson vs Okada holy gently caress this might cause me to relapse :aaaaa:

He came back at the end of 2021, then had just a few matches in 2022. One of which was against Orange Cassidy in AEW, which was his hand-picked opponent. Then in the beginning of 2023, he won the ROH Pure Championship and has been defending that regularly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

lol when did they let CM Punk back in?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

lol when did they let CM Punk back in?

8 days ago

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, they started a new Saturday show called AEW Collision with Punk being kind of the marquee wrestler for it. The first episode was in Chicago, where he came out, cut a promo, made a jab at the Young Bucks, then came back later to take part in a six-man tag. It was Chicago, so everyone was unanimously for him.

The following Dynamite was also in Chicago, so Punk returned for a segment and they made sure that the Elite's one appearance was a pre-taped backstage bit because they were explicitly supposed to be faces and they didn't want them to get booed out of the building.

Then the next Collision, no longer being in Chicago, had Punk getting boos over cheers about 70/30. At Forbidden Door, the boos were more 90/10.

Anyway, PPV loving ruled. Even if Bryan Danielson faked having convulsions mid-match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
i be come i be come i be coming