Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think I might flip back to rend, I feel i need a little bit more time in the loot oven for whirlwind to be kickin rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

It's absurd that the Necro smoke got through their playtesting. You'd think someone would have noticed 1/3 of the screen was unreadable.

This game is such a wild miss-match of so many things that are excellent and a lot of things that are mindbogglingly stupid :shrug:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Its funny how much I've come to hate gems in tier 3. I've started avoiding the champion packs because of it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I wonder if champion packs are broken and they only put gems on the loot table

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Respeccing skill points is trivial, it's resetting equipment + aspects + paragon boards that become super expensive and time-consuming.

I didn't think this would be too much of an issue before the game came out but a combination of balance patches, the way itemization works, and the amount to which you have to reset things to change basic parts of your build would have obviously made "prohibitively expensive" respecs a pretty massive problem. PoE's passive tree, in comparison, actually turns out to be more flexible despite requiring rare-ish currency.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sloober posted:

On the topic of 'very rare' monsters they all have a specific rare item with guaranteed stats. if you see a little white pulsing symbol on your minimap that's just a marker for 'hey go here and kill a guy'. most of their rare drops aren't that great tho but there is an achievo for killing like 8 of them or something

I've never seen one of those special rare items drop as Sacred or Ancestral, has anyone? Some of them have some fun stats (movespeed on an axe etc)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i think i got an ancestral wand off the ghost one in dry steppes. which is funny because there's a duplicator rare wizard in northeastern fractured peaks that drops the same thing but a staff. (+cold, +fire, +lightning damage)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any part of the game that doesn’t scale to each party members level? Once I get to WT3 should I just party up with my highest level friend and join his NM dungeons?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is pvp quite easy or are the guys there just farming hatred and not really doing pvp? I got 10+ kills without dying once with lightning sorc. Having three teleport charges also really helps to zoom around.

What happens if you die in pvp, do you lose something? Can you get ears in D4?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

RCarr posted:

Is there any part of the game that doesn’t scale to each party members level? Once I get to WT3 should I just party up with my highest level friend and join his NM dungeons?

A lot of zones have minimum levels. Everything in WT3 is at least 53, everything in WT4 at least 73 and NM dungeons have their own levels which is always 53 + sigil level. The WT2 capstone dungeon is always 50 and the WT3 one always 70.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

goferchan posted:

I've never seen one of those special rare items drop as Sacred or Ancestral, has anyone? Some of them have some fun stats (movespeed on an axe etc)

I've seen a sacred one of whatever the scorpion stinger thing is called, but in wt4 so it's still garbage at this point.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sab669 posted:

My favorite part of the World Events is how my screen is perpetually just a cloud of black smoke and I can't see a loving thing

I had to make my character outlined in options due to this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like nightmare dungeons but I think they really need to adjust the exp and level requirements for the runes. There's only so many times I can run these dungeons and the radius expanding at level 15 is a lot of goddamn dungeons. That's a massive stretch, Blizzard.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Is pvp quite easy or are the guys there just farming hatred and not really doing pvp? I got 10+ kills without dying once with lightning sorc. Having three teleport charges also really helps to zoom around.

What happens if you die in pvp, do you lose something? Can you get ears in D4?

PVP is awesome and fun. If you die you drop all your shards and respawn in town basically immediately. There is a chance your killer gets your ear as a trophy. It feels like a Halo deathmatch and I love it, with tons of loot as part of the bargain.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I found out my homebrew whirlwind build really didn't cut it for PVP, but I'm really only using it because I found some very solid WW drops so I'm gonna be relieved when I can go for something a little less mainstream.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hashy posted:

It's 45% divided across the 8 seconds it does damage lol

Lol, gross.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What happens if you accidentally wander into a pvp area as a HC character? Game over right there?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

What happens if you accidentally wander into a pvp area as a HC character? Game over right there?

I don't know for sure, but there are pvp achievements for HC characters and they imply to me that death at the hands of other players is permanent. Which is funny, since there are several lilith statues in those zones, one of which awards a paragon point.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any difference between pyromancy and fire damage for a sorc? On paper they seem the same, though I am not sure if there are differences in where it is multiplied/added for your damage.

Also, I just did the side quest "Reject the Mother", and I cannot think of something so small scale that epitomizes the overall poor design decisions that seem to have been intentionally introduced into the game, independent of the game play. There is that one way windy path towards the Act 3 story quest where you fight the summoner, and about 1/3 the way through there is an interactable object that you can interact with but it does not give you the quest. Once you get to the end and beat the story boss, it becomes a quest object. Since this windy path is out of the way and there are no waypoints nearby, I figure you should run back and get the blue exclamation mark while you are in the area. It then has you run back to exactly where you just fought the boss and use an emote that is not on your emote wheel by default (so I had to look it up) to open a chest that has 2 yellow items, the things that you find every 10 seconds.

So basically the quest is spending 5-10 minutes running through an empty area that you cleared minutes ago TWICE (once from the story quest to the side quest start, and then back to the story quest location), all for loot that you would have found in a fraction of the time if you were just roaming around killing stuff. However, if they just gave you the side quest before you needed to complete the story quest, you could just do it all in one trip with no wasted time (outside of looking up the emote online), and it is not like the quests are really connected where the order matters. It is just wasting your time for no reason.

FrickenMoron posted:

Does it tell you it is a PVP area? Because as a solo player I will never go in because you know there are going to be groups of people going around killing solo players.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

FrickenMoron posted:

I ran through them to pick up the Lilith statues and didn't see a single other player in either zone. People might be too afraid to risk their characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When I went into the Field of Hatred, nobody was actually flagged for PvP.

Are there some where that's automatic?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

When I went into the Field of Hatred, nobody was actually flagged for PvP.

Are there some where that's automatic?

Here's the thing, you need to bloodmark yourself in order to attack other players, but bloodmarked players can attack anyone in the zone whether or not they are bloodmarked themselves.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah it's basiaclly a bully mark but I wouldnt be surprised if some builds can just end you by looking at you

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
pvp in diablo type games is always such a disaster, I've no idea why they try to cram it in.

Is it just to appease the man-children whose idea of peak gameplay was ganking low levels in Tarren Mill?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah it's basiaclly a bully mark but I wouldnt be surprised if some builds can just end you by looking at you

You can party up on them and run gank squads it’s literally the Wild West in those zones by design. It’s all cosmetic rewards for doing pvp content and with the exception of a couple of statues (and I guess exploration renown) you can ignore those areas entirely.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i spend a lot of time in the PVP zone because i like collecting blood shards and the enemy density is nice and i have only been killed once (because i accidentally clicked on another player.) the threat of invincible ganking mobs is goon delirium.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
is there any way to make the barbarian unique frenzy amulet good? i use frenzy, but it just seems like an underwhelming choice? five stacks of frenzy total, sure, and an attack speed bonus that goes to the rest of your abilities, cool. but the stacks decay so quickly that it's hard to take advantage of it for long. maybe something with lucky hit procs/stuns or crits?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Horizon Burning posted:

i spend a lot of time in the PVP zone because i like collecting blood shards and the enemy density is nice and i have only been killed once (because i accidentally clicked on another player.) the threat of invincible ganking mobs is goon delirium.

It exists, but the instancing system means that you have to be actively partied and organized beforehand and you won't run into them that often because the zone instances have player caps.

The PvP zones were mostly dead when I did them, but I ran into a few groups of people that just ran from shrine to shrine as soon as someone triggered the alert on the world map.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh they’re there. Sometimes you end up in a shared zone with hunter-killers but you can see them coming a mile way by looking at the death announcements. If you notice them just tp to the other pvp zone for a bit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve been ganked a bunch of times in PvP zones but I guess it could just be mental illness making me imagine it.

SettingSun posted:

Oh they’re there. Sometimes you end up in a shared zone with hunter-killers but you can see them coming a mile way by looking at the death announcements. If you notice them just tp to the other pvp zone for a bit.

Yeah this is how you deal with it. When they’re also in the other zones I just do something else. If there were more players to fight back I’d probably be more inclined to stick around but I don’t think the mode is popular enough for that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 13, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

FrickenMoron posted:

I think some things you can do in pvp zones make you a lot more visible to other players, like bloodmarking yourself, starting a shard purification ritual or collecting a big pile of shards. If you just run through you might not see anyone at all (though it's certainly still a risk)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I think some things you can do in pvp zones make you a lot more visible to other players, like bloodmarking yourself, starting a shard purification ritual or collecting a big pile of shards. If you just run through you might not see anyone at all (though it's certainly still a risk)

A flagged player attacking you will knock you off your horse and prevent you from getting back on so if you’re unlucky you’ll be boned. You pretty much have to be on top of them for that to happen though.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

PvP is single-party consent but you don’t need to flag. If no one flags it’s basically a helltide zone in terms of mob density (which rules).

The actual PvP is very fun. It’s extremely deathmatch-y (instant respawns) and not punishing (you lose like 10s of your time and any Seeds of Hatred that you’re carrying).

Crowd Control is, in general, OP in PvP. I felt powerful as a Twisting Blades Rogue with the double shadowstep aspect, and I also feel powerful as a Penetrating Shot Rogue in a very different way (the insane burst from a Poison Imbued 3-combo point shot can catch people by surprise).

I would 100% not want to PvP in HC though. It’s Deathmatch, not Battle Royale. You basically are guaranteed to die somehow if you PvP enough.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The monster density in the PVP zones is pretty nice, so there's something there worth getting even if you don't want to do PVP.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

ancestral gear helped me get enough crit, cdr, and lucky hit to get arc lash with ball lightning and the crackling energy passive running and it’s really fun. Not gated behind a specific unique which is nice, but Esu’s boots and the vacuum chest will make it even more fun if they ever drop.

tinkering with enchanting teleport instead of fire bolt to keep going fast, but the burning passives are prooobably too good to pass up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SettingSun posted:

Here's the thing, you need to bloodmark yourself in order to attack other players, but bloodmarked players can attack anyone in the zone whether or not they are bloodmarked themselves.

It's a weird system. WoW has it so that you can only attack flagged enemy players which means that being unflagged is a defensive choice, and also makes the system entirely pointless except for the minor XP bonus from being flagged. But here there is no real benefit for not flagging aside from not wanting to accidentally AOE a nonhostile player.

I keep stupidly wandering into the PVP zones because I'm baited by fast and easy whispers then getting killed in 0.5 seconds because shadow necro is not a pvp build.

I think the general lack of players on the map contributes a lot to PVP being a gankfest. If someone attacks and you're not in a party already you're basically guaranteed to be fighting 1v1. It's not like there is going to be someone wandering by who will join the fight against the bloodmarked person.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 13, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

coelomate posted:

ancestral gear helped me get enough crit, cdr, and lucky hit to get arc lash with ball lightning and the crackling energy passive running and it’s really fun. Not gated behind a specific unique which is nice, but Esu’s boots and the vacuum chest will make it even more fun if they ever drop.

tinkering with enchanting teleport instead of fire bolt to keep going fast, but the burning passives are prooobably too good to pass up.

Did you enchant for any of it because I’m think I’ve seen CDR in like 2 pieces of gear total so far

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hashy posted:

It's 45% divided across the 8 seconds it does damage lol

Is this the same for orb, ie the whole cast has a 5 percent chance or is it each instance of damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As I mentioned there are hc pvp achievements, but they are small. Like the sc achievement for killing players caps at 100, but in hc it's merely 10. I suspect that people gunning for those will spend a lot of their time just looking for players to kill.