Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
the renown grind for the paragon points is a slog. are we going to need to do this every season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did you enchant for any of it because I’m think I’ve seen CDR in like 2 pieces of gear total so far

Cooldown reduction is a semi-common affix on sorc offhand items. You can get it rolled on other pieces too, but it is a little harder because there are so many different affixes.

The best ways are to either just enchant a good legendary, find a rare with good stats and put a legendary affix on it, or go for the few quest items/rare spawn drops that have guaranteed affixes (these are generally not great for anything outside of leveling, though).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bardeh posted:

the renown grind for the paragon points is a slog. are we going to need to do this every season?

They haven't confirmed that yet, but seems likely.

So far, the only 100% confirmed thing is that alters of Lilith will always carry over to seasons.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Speaking of hardcore, is anyone playing through the campaign on it? The only story-related achievement I need is to kill Lilith in a party but all of my friends did the campaign on softcore which I don't have a character for. If you are on HC and want some help with the campaign, I'll bully the Act 6 bosses for you on my sorcerer. My BNet is vomitkittens#1424 (also feel free to add me if you're just a HC player in general).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bardeh posted:

We don't know for sure!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm having a lot of fun with a shockwave spell druid. This is going to take a lucky drop, so not everyone can do it, but this is the only druid spec I've played with that doesn't make me feel resource starved. Too many of these pulverize builds try to go all in on werebear and I don't think that works until you get into unique territory and can get some build defining drops. So this build takes advantage of the tons of nodes that proc off of shapeshifting like Resonance, which gives an 18% dmg bonus when you hit with an earth/shock spell after casting the opposite, along with Natural Fortitude which fortifies you whenever you shapeshift, and Clarity, which grants mana whenever you shapeshift back into a human. It also uses Nature's fury, which has a chance to proc a random in-type storm or earth skill when you cast the opposite. This is probably a very bad ultimate passive for endgame pushing but for T1 levelling it's a loving blast.

Basically you just alternate storm strike and pulverize, throwing in cyclone to keep vulnerable up, using CDs to taste. Since every other pulverize build I've tried is a whole lot of basic attacking anyway, this doesn't change the playstyle that much, and it feels good. It also maintains fortify and spirit better than any other druid build I've tried. I'm not quite 50 on my druid but I'm steamrolling content faster than when I was trying to copy one of the inumerable pulverize werebear builds that are all over the place. I've gotten 3 drops with the Shockwave aspect (the most recent with 96% + dmg :c00l: ) so if you have that chilling in your cache, throw it on an amulet and maybe give it a try. (It's also possible it may work ok without shockwave but I haven't tested it because, what, I'm running a build guide website? ) I'm using the ursine horror/quicksand combo, crashstone, and a couple of good defensive aspects that rolled on random legendaries. Trampled Earth is probably a good one to have too but since you aren't casting trample that often I wouldn't call it build centric. Fun though!

Anyway, the lesson here is I think try and build around your drops rather than chase a particular build before you get into actual deep endgame.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Grabbing a portal to town when an event in a helltide overflows your inventory is the best. 100% of the time I warp back to a new event in progress with other people and it's complete chaos for a few seconds.

Dravs posted:

pvp in diablo type games is always such a disaster, I've no idea why they try to cram it in.

PvP was an integral part of Diablo 2, the most perfect game ever made, and furthermore

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They haven't confirmed that yet, but seems likely.

So far, the only 100% confirmed thing is that alters of Lilith will always carry over to seasons.

Is there enough renown to hit the WT4 reward without repeating alters?

I can tolerate repeating side-quests, but I am never going around clicking all those alters again - even if that means less points.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Still early in the story, but (spoiler for Act 1) Vigo crashing into the boss fight in an Iron Maiden mech suit is metal as gently caress and I love it. Just the perfect amount of over the top Warhammer 40K style insanity..

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well I finally finished the story as a CL sorc at level 50. Moving to WT3 and I was just getting stomped. Respecced to arc lash but didn't have much success. Respecced to ice shard and feeling a lot better now, particularly with mobs, but single elites still give me a hard time as I just end up kiting forever waiting for cool down on frost nova and for my mana to regen. Currently running with no basic skill. And tips for an early end game sorc? I've read some guides but few seem to address this particular issue which I can see becoming a problem with bosses.

Or is the answer just to keep leveling against mobs until I find good enough gear to easily take on dungeons and bosses? I had to drop down to wt2 to get the aspect that makes ice shards pierce. I put that on my amulet for 5x pierce and feel a good deal better against larger mobs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

At the outset of wt3 you're going to feel the pain until you can get some sacred gear which is a serious power boost from earlier stuff.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

Still early in the story, but (spoiler for Act 1) Vigo crashing into the boss fight in an Iron Maiden mech suit is metal as gently caress and I love it. Just the perfect amount of over the top Warhammer 40K style insanity..

I loved this as well. The way the model looked in game with the blood, it was almost like his body had been sawed in half at the waist, which made me zoom in and take a long look.

Two regions in the game really stand out, the wrecked ships along the eastern coast (way too short) and hell. It's a shame so much of end game is gonna be spent in the dreary cum smeared maps of Kosovo and scotsglen. At least the desert looks pretty cool and is nice and bright.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah stick in WT3 and do public stuff / helltides (follow people collect cinders if you can’t kill poo poo) until you build up some sacred gear. It really is a big boost over anything in WT2.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Gully Foyle posted:

We've got Inquisitor: Martyr, which honestly is pretty fun, but a lot of moments in the game has made me wish for a 40k ARPG with the same attention to detail and tone, and the same sort of handcrafted world.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Well I finally finished the story as a CL sorc at level 50. Moving to WT3 and I was just getting stomped. Respecced to arc lash but didn't have much success. Respecced to ice shard and feeling a lot better now, particularly with mobs, but single elites still give me a hard time as I just end up kiting forever waiting for cool down on frost nova and for my mana to regen. Currently running with no basic skill. And tips for an early end game sorc? I've read some guides but few seem to address this particular issue which I can see becoming a problem with bosses.

Or is the answer just to keep leveling against mobs until I find good enough gear to easily take on dungeons and bosses? I had to drop down to wt2 to get the aspect that makes ice shards pierce. I put that on my amulet for 5x pierce and feel a good deal better against larger mobs.

Arc lash is really strong even with imprinted codex Legendaries, probably use fire ball and arc lash enchants and fish for some cdr items early so you can spam unstable currents for your damage early.

It's pretty boring game play though just cycling defensives and dodging the post death explosions.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Cellars are a nice and quick way to roll some early WT3 gear. I recommend trying that before you consider a respec.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I’m honestly surprised that stone of Jordan isn’t in game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite locale is actually the dungeon at the end of act 5. It's gross and wet and just looks great.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Argh, I still can't even follow this thread, I just barely know what you guys are talking about at any given time.

I feel like I'm fundamentally playing a different game than most people. I'm not really thinking about the postgame at all, I'm just kinda playing this as I'd play any other video game. I just beat Act 1 last night, despite playing since release lol. I just keep getting distracted by sidequests and world events and dungeons! I see people saying to beeline the campaign and I'm trying to weigh it up in my head -- it'd be cool to experience the "real" game fresh at release with everyone else, but I dunno if I'm gonna be the kinda guy that runs endless Rifts or whatever, and I'm really, really enjoying Diablo 4 at a nice sedate pace, taking in all the sights and meeting all the people and doing all their quests.

But I dunno what the heck is going on with my gear yet, still mostly going with whatever has the biggest numbers. I had a really nice Legendary Bow with a good aspect, but I don't know how to strip off the aspect now that I've outgrown the bow, and I don't know when it would be worth bothering putting it on a different weapon anyway, given that I'm constantly changing out for new gear. Also wondering if the leveling system is gonna fall apart, since I'm already like level 29. Feels like signs from the game that I'm doing it wrong. :(

As someone who has a bunch of kids, I feel this post in my bones. I’m level 39, just finished Act I and am a couple steps into II, and I too don’t understand half of what is said in here. I do get a chuckle out of people who post mad about end-game content like a week after release.

I enjoy my “leisurely” pace to explore and try to knock out side quests when I’m near one. The gear treadmill is fun to get shiny new things every 5 mins, but it can be a bit exhausting when you’re constantly doing the gem/aspect dance when you replace a piece.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

i made CL work by stacking +stun damage and using lightning spear, lightning spear with just a bit of crit and the stacking crit chance of shock damage from passives is a guarantied 2 second stun with the passive trait on it, and if you want to make some packs funny, use a fireball enchant since every explosion will benefit from +stun damage as long as theyre stunned. unstable currents is a useful 'i want to just delete this pack now' button if you need it. one of CL's issues is with packs with a damage resistance buffer since it's harder to hit that one, so you may still want arc lash to laser target a bit better. With traits, chain lightning can reliably stun too. It's also useful to put the aspect that occasionally gives you a free unstable currents cast on an amulet since it's just a chance at a free CL, spear, ball lightning etc. The primary weakness of this setup is that suppressors are some of the worst things out there, but being able to stun means its much uhh, safer? to get in melee range of almost everything. Right now i'm cruising around with around +300% stun damage or some such number, and ~+72% to elites. If you can get the +chain lightning bounce effect it's useful, but not necessary. I say that because between 1 and 73 i found exactly two legendaries of it, and one was at 24 and the other was at 73, and it's a drop only aspect.

It's also nice in that spear itself can demolish a pack with a couple of passes in this setup, but obvs you have no control over where it goes. I hit 73 before being burned out of sorc playing and didn't have a lot of trouble with NM25 sigils

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 13, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

As someone who has a bunch of kids, I feel this post in my bones. I’m level 39, just finished Act I and am a couple steps into II, and I too don’t understand half of what is said in here. I do get a chuckle out of people who post mad about end-game content like a week after release.

I enjoy my “leisurely” pace to explore and try to knock out side quests when I’m near one. The gear treadmill is fun to get shiny new things every 5 mins, but it can be a bit exhausting when you’re constantly doing the gem/aspect dance when you replace a piece.

Add me to the old guy crew minus the kids. Solidarity goon.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
i am 69 years old with 20 grandchildren, and I have time to kill 1 (one) mob per week. enjoying taking my time and seeing all the sights

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'm sorry that we have to tell you like this, but the stump you've been killing outside the cave is a container, not a mob.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's the difference

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Running a shadow corpse explosion/minion build. Which board should I unlock next?

- Consuming 5 corpses increases damage by 40% for 6 seconds

or

- With 2 corpses nearby you gain 15% damage reduction, with no corpses nearby you get 15% damage

I'm thinking the first one, I always have corpses around unless poo poo hits the fan, but I'm guessing that second one won't save me in that scenario.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shredder posted:

Running a shadow corpse explosion/minion build. Which board should I unlock next?

- Consuming 5 corpses increases damage by 40% for 6 seconds

or

- With 2 corpses nearby you gain 15% damage reduction, with no corpses nearby you get 15% damage

I'm thinking the first one, I always have corpses around unless poo poo hits the fan, but I'm guessing that second one won't save me in that scenario.

I don't know about this build in particular, but also make sure to check out the rare nodes on each board. They all have different rare nodes and sometimes collecting the rares is just as significant, or more significant, than whatever the legendary power is.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Magic, Rares and the Glyph nodes are extremely important. Definitely check those out before the legendary one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How many paragon points are available in total? 225? (200+1 from level, 4 shrine, 20 renown)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Please give us the option to hide weapons we're not using -- Conan never wore a dumb golf bag of weapons everywhere and neither should I.

How dumb is it to just refuse to equip my two-handed bludgeon? Waist weapons are unobtrusive enough, I'll keep those

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ninjahedgehog posted:

Please give us the option to hide weapons we're not using -- Conan never wore a dumb golf bag of weapons everywhere and neither should I.

How dumb is it to just refuse to equip my two-handed bludgeon? Waist weapons are unobtrusive enough, I'll keep those

There used to be a transmog option in the beta to hide your weapons. But, I think it was mysteriously removed for the server slam and release build.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SettingSun posted:

How many paragon points are available in total? 225? (200+1 from level, 4 shrine, 20 renown)

Yeah, 225 is the cap.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

One of the benefits that barbarian has over other classes is the abundance of equipment slots. You'd be missing out on potentially an aspect not to mention whatever additional benefits that slot could provide. Agree the golf bag is dumb as hell.

Tiny inconsequential complaint. Wtf the necro gets shields? They're the only class that gets shields? Weird choice but all right lol.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

uuuuuugh my necro has been crashing in dugneons a lot recently.

Goddamnit i just want to grind this rep, stop booting me 3/4ths through a dungeon.

They really need to have a way to rejoin your game in progress after a crash.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I love the barb walking weapon rack and eventually I'll get off my rear end and make a walking arsenal build.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

Tiny inconsequential complaint. Wtf the necro gets shields? They're the only class that gets shields? Weird choice but all right lol.

Paladin wasn't ready but we put all this time into making shields.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A heavy armor crusader/paladin type is sorely lacking and I hope the expansion rectifies this.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is anyone keeping track of players pushing higher level nightmare dungeons? I'm curious to see how high they're able to get. It seems anything solo above the 50s is nuts.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Man I really hope they just unlock all waypoints in Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

That's pretty much the sorc experience right now. You kite a lot, then eventually you roll sacred gear that lets you kite a lot less, and then you hit wt4 and get ancestral gear that deletes anything in the 65-80ish window so hard you spec for the talent that does more damage when your mana is over 100. Then you realize you didn't roll one of the armor+unstoppable classes and die like a jerk. :v:

Paragon helps a lot here but in the end it's still just "get better gear" until you reach the lucky hit/cdr thresholds to make it feel good.