Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Fidelity mode was surprisingly smooth. I’m not sure if maybe at 120hz displays it’s at 40FPS because it did not feel like 30 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Terper posted:

You know who is perfect? Elwin

Good dad but has sean bean voice

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Endorph posted:

Seems like rather than different weapons the various eikon modes are the substitute for that.

Those don’t change your basic attack though

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If I just fought Morlbo about how much of the demo is left? I had to break for the day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everything they've shown so far has just had Clive using a sword so I'm pretty sure he only uses swords. There might be extra moves you can unlock as you go that change up your basic attacks but I also wouldn't be surprised if that stays mostly the same throughout.

Kingtheninja posted:

If I just fought Morlbo about how much of the demo is left? I had to break for the day.

You're about halfway through the prologue part, and then there's an extra roughly hour-long segment you unlock after that where you can try out what the combat feels like with more eikons.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

45 minutes or so.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i doubt that joshua stays dead. they coded up a whole system to use him as playable character. seems like a lot of effort for a 10 min section!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punished milkman posted:

i doubt that joshua stays dead. they coded up a whole system to use him as playable character. seems like a lot of effort for a 10 min section!!

I wouldn't be too sure. Having just played a bunch of Resident Evil games, like every one of those has a section where you play as someone new with different moves, weapons, and puzzle-solving tools for like 15-30 minutes and then never again.

That said he is the Phoenix so it's also entirely possible he'll come back in some way.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

My bingo card has adult Joshua villain arc on it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's what I want to know: why are the two armor slots just wristwear and belts? Why belts? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's a very Final Fantasy choice (see also FF7's all-wristwear armor lineup), I'm just so curious who made the call for "belt" to be one of the two slots. Did they need somewhere to keep all the belts they cut from FFXIV?

It especially made me laugh when the description of Clive's starting belt says something about not expecting it to provide much protection. It's a belt! I don't expect any belt to provide any protection, except maybe against pants falling down.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mainwaring posted:

My bingo card has adult Joshua villain arc on it

Look, he really loving hates carrots

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Here's what I want to know: why are the two armor slots just wristwear and belts? Why belts? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's a very Final Fantasy choice (see also FF7's all-wristwear armor lineup), I'm just so curious who made the call for "belt" to be one of the two slots. Did they need somewhere to keep all the belts they cut from FFXIV?

It especially made me laugh when the description of Clive's starting belt says something about not expecting it to provide much protection. It's a belt! I don't expect any belt to provide any protection, except maybe against pants falling down.
Changing weapons does change your weapon appearance so if changing armor didn't do the same thing people would piss and moan about it, so they made it something inconsequential!

Maybe!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how's the writing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

roomtone posted:

how's the writing

The writing is alright! The characters fall into every single fantasy trope imaginable though, so the writers didn't leave themselves much room for creativity. From what is in the demo, I dont think the story is going to win itself any awards.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The writing is generic fantasy but it’s tight and they make you care about the characters pretty effortlessly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Torgal is the best character.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1668486805359034368

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
any video game writing that uses the word “indefatigable” is good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

It does raise the question of why Rosaria wasn’t immediately steamrolled when their previous dominant died. It seems like the only way to stop a Eikon is with another Eikon

My guess - They entered into the alliance with Sanbreque (who *does* have an Eikon - Bahamut) via a political marriage between Clive's dad and his mom (who is probably from Sanbreque). But this alliance was just done with the long-term goal of claiming the Phoenix dominant for Sanbreque.

This would neatly explain how they were able to survive without a dominant IMO

Auron posted:

Really enjoyed the demo, but I did have a couple of concerns.

I'm a little worried about exploration, or the lack of, with this seemingly MMO-based dungeon design. The areas in the swamp village seemed very linear, with only a couple of side rooms to explore, but there isn't much exploration when all item pickups are easily visible because they're glinting.

Second, performance mode seemed quite unstable and stuttery in heavy traffic areas, and even some areas that didn't seem all that demanding. While I don't expect perfection, this was quite distracting, and hopefully it's something they can patch up shortly after release.

I agree about performance mode concerns. My eyes were actually starting to hurt after a while* due to the motion blur + frame instability in Performance Mode (though fortunately only during exploration). The one hope in that area is that the demo is an older build and (most importantly) during the PAX East presentation you see them exploring a much large area and it seems to be completely smooth there. It's not a deal-breaker by any means (since the most important stuff - combat and cutscenes - are still fine) but it'd really be nice if it were better on release.

This is the PAX East part in question, which seems significantly smoother than the exploration parts in the demo were - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpeKX1PDIo&t=1855s. There's at least one part where the camera is panned around, and that was always unsteady for me in the demo's exploration areas (in performance mode anyways)

* like not a hyperbole; at first I was like "this isn't too bad" and then I started to actually get a headache and was forced to admit to myself that it was an issue

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

roomtone posted:

how's the writing

“So I turned into a freaking Eikon?”

Thank you, Square Enix for not hiring the Forespoken writers on this one. No Joss Whedon dialogue. The game takes itself seriously. Quality.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

punished milkman posted:

That’s one of the better titles in FFXIV.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

My guess - They entered into the alliance with Sanbreque (who *does* have an Eikon - Bahamut) via a political marriage between Clive's dad and his mom (who is probably from Sanbreque). But this alliance was just done with the long-term goal of claiming the Phoenix dominant for Sanbreque.

Nah, if you check her ATL it turns out she and Elwin are in fact cousins and her part of the family line has been known to give birth to a lot of Phoenixes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone mentioned earlier that it feels like they're setting up for a Clive and Jill romance and that made me realize: have we had a romantic subplot in an FF game since X? Because I can't really think of one, unless the player can date NPCs in XI or something. XII had some flirting with Balthier and Fran (and a little with Ashe) but that's it; XIII had an implied romance with Fang and Vanille, and Snow and Serah's romance is off-screen; XIV's an MMO that doesn't really do romance; and XV has another that's mostly off-screen until one party gets killed after about five minutes of screen time.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Harrow posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that it feels like they're setting up for a Clive and Jill romance and that made me realize: have we had a romantic subplot in an FF game since X? Because I can't really think of one, unless the player can date NPCs in XI or something. XII had some flirting with Balthier and Fran (and a little with Ashe) but that's it; XIII had an implied romance with Fang and Vanille, and Snow and Serah's romance is off-screen; XIV's an MMO that doesn't really do romance; and XV has another that's mostly off-screen until one party gets killed after about five minutes of screen time.

Y'shtola and Runar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the zack/aerith stuff was a decently big part of crisis core and ff7r leaned into the love triangle stuff more than early game ff7 did but in terms of new mainline ff, nah. unless you wanna count a few subplots in 14.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Me and Emet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

this combo video is making my brain expand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStFbNH22S4

Gonna need to do a lot of experimenting with Torgal because wow I definitely underestimated him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the zack/aerith stuff was a decently big part of crisis core and ff7r leaned into the love triangle stuff more than early game ff7 did but in terms of new mainline ff, nah. unless you wanna count a few subplots in 14.

I was talking more new mainline but yeah FF7R does play more into the Cloud/Aerith/Zack triangle and the Cloud/Tifa/Aerith triangle, that's true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Me and Emet

Me and Graha

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Harrow posted:

You can argue that the Snow and Serah romance wasn't very interesting, present or well written, mainly because it wasn't any of those things, but the FF13 designers certainly intended for it to be a romance for the ages, driven by a passion that sparks adventure across space and time.

It's just that with how 13 and 13-2 were structured we were mainly told of their love through the medium of exposition, and in practice Snow and Serah read like a couple of hot young morons with nothing in common who will flame out in months.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cephas posted:

He was asleep at the wheel as Ifrit, and when he hears Torgal whining he wakes up, but realizes that Ifrit is on autopilot and he can't control it.

Also lol @ naming the god-child with power over healing and resurrection "Joshua"

I figured that was a reference to Vagrant Story's Joshua, since this game seems like a love letter to Matsuno (which is a good thing.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

punished milkman posted:

I hope we hear someone order us to run to the larboard side.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we know what the changes are between graphics and performance mode? I tried both and while I would like 60 fps, the 30 fps graphics mode still seemed playable (I was playing performance in the morbol fight, and graphics in the dragoon fight.

Also, being able to bring up Active Time Lore during cutscenes is kind of amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

Nah, if you check her ATL it turns out she and Elwin are in fact cousins and her part of the family line has been known to give birth to a lot of Phoenixes.

Ah, thanks, I did not notice that. If that's the case, I wonder what her motive was. I guess she could have just been persuaded by Sanbreque in some way (like maybe they convinced her this was the best way to preserve the bloodline, in light of the decline of Rosaria)? That makes things a bit confusing, since her attitude towards Joshua in the wake of his death doesn't seem consistent with "Rosarian noble who is just deeply concerned with producing the Phoenix" and is hard to understand as anything other than her primary motive being the support of Sanbreque (with Phoenix's value mainly just being as a military asset).

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Do we know what the changes are between graphics and performance mode? I tried both and while I would like 60 fps, the 30 fps graphics mode still seemed playable (I was playing performance in the morbol fight, and graphics in the dragoon fight.

Also, being able to bring up Active Time Lore during cutscenes is kind of amazing.

It’s most obvious imo in the demo in Stillwood. The reflections off the water on the ground are much better. Otherwise I didn’t really notice a huge difference

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

RatHat posted:

It does raise the question of why Rosaria wasn’t immediately steamrolled when their previous dominant died. It seems like the only way to stop a Eikon is with another Eikon

It is probably a few reasons, one was the alliance Roasaria had, another one is Rosaria doesn't have a mothercrystal so it isn't really a priority for the other powers to conquer, and the folks they did fight with (The northern territories) didn't have a dominant either, or rather wasn't of age to fight.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Terper posted:

I guess that explains why she wasn’t *that* heartbroken about Joshua. Assuming he also doesn’t revive as a human as he did as an Eikon, she’s probably thinking she could just make another Phoenix dominant with someone else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaX posted:

I guess that explains why she wasn’t *that* heartbroken about Joshua. Assuming he also doesn’t revive as a human as he did as an Eikon, she’s probably thinking she could just make another Phoenix dominant with someone else

That doesn't explain why she'd ally with Sanbreque, though (plus the fact that, given Clive's age, she can't have too many years left to produce an heir). I still feel like she might have had something to do with the alliance between the two nations (since she was directly involved with the betrayal of said alliance).

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

MechaX posted:

She seemed aggrieved, but also furious and hollowed out. I don't think she had her handmaidens killed because they were witnesses, I think she had them killed because they "let" Joshua die, in her mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Clive's VA is killing it. I am so hooked on this game. What a crazy intro.