Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I've never understood how Reddit specifically isn't in violation of the AOL moderation case, and they are walking a fine line with what they can do regarding volunteer mods to stay (apparently) on the right side of that precedent.

Once they start reaching in to hire mods directly - it's not just about payment - they have more legal obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cosmik Debris posted:

I seriously doubt conde nast offered Lowtax 20 mil. Reddit had VC funding and the people behind it had actual business acumen and new what they were doing.

SA represented influence which is gold to people with business acumen. None of them actually know what they’re doing and would have found that out in some mangosteen type crisis.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Lowtax was smart not to take 20m for this place, he was so bad with money & vices, milking this place for a smaller steady sum was probably better for him in the end.

We all think of 20m as either seed money to do whatever, build whatever, or retire & live modestly on 2% of the interest a year. He'd have blown it like the Joose guys in TCC and found his way to an early grave.

Ah, well, nevertheless.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bus hustler posted:

I've never understood how Reddit specifically isn't in violation of the AOL moderation case, and they are walking a fine line with what they can do regarding volunteer mods to stay (apparently) on the right side of that precedent.

Once they start reaching in to hire mods directly - it's not just about payment - they have more legal obligations.

They aren't going to hire mods. The execs know there will always be volunteers lined up and ready to come in at any time. The fact most of those will be psychopaths is not a point they care, only that any closed subreddit is reopened ASAP and that no money is spent on anything but a new yacht for the CEO. It doesn't matter if in the long term the entire brand is destroyed in the process, only that numbers keep going up and there's more ad views.

Earlier, they were caught making localized versions of their more popular subreddits like Ask which were just auto translated poo poo copied from the original subreddits, filled with bot comments. This is the sort of amazing, bold strategy they are deploying to build new communities and grow their user base.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

buglord posted:

So now that reddit, discord, twitter, others are going down the drain, what's the solution here? I know ending capitalism is the solution but that seems a bit of a ways

These were all solved problems in like 1993. The real problem people keep trying to solve is how do you get sustained growth monetizing internet discussion?

You can’t. Eventually you have to court the majority of the population that can barely read and after that you need to start wrecking the user experience.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

bus hustler posted:

Lowtax was smart not to take 20m for this place, he was so bad with money & vices, milking this place for a smaller steady sum was probably better for him in the end.

We all think of 20m as either seed money to do whatever, build whatever, or retire & live modestly on 2% of the interest a year. He'd have blown it like the Joose guys in TCC and found his way to an early grave.

Ah, well, nevertheless.

yeah but if he took the 20 milly he could have bought a GTR instead of leasing one like some sweaty toed schmuck

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

bus hustler posted:

Ah, well, nevertheless.

King Reol played the final card of his final phase right in front of everyone and no one even blinked.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yeah but if he took the 20 milly he could have bought a GTR instead of leasing one like some sweaty toed schmuck

Imagine leasing a GTR. I bet he had an above ground pool :chord:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I guess I'm going to buy a reddit ad pointing to this thread but I need a funny image. Wtf do I even pick? Pig balls might get me in trouble lol.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
one odd side effect is that r/sweden went dark but r/swedents…did not. So people who had meant to post in the former started to post in the latter. Now I’m wondering if this’ll educate more on Swedens hideously outdated cannabis laws.

LJ is still around and contains, weirdly enough, one of the better sources of Hollywood gossip. For a long time, Buzzfeed ripped off their content.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol I tried to do this one, but it wasn't approved. They went on to approve the one that called posting on reddit "posting with hitler" so I don't know wtf.

I did make this in case that was rejected. I wanted to make it say the words Something Awful somehow but I don't know how I'd work it in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lol I tried to do this one, but it wasn't approved. They went on to approve the one that called posting on reddit "posting with hitler" so I don't know wtf.

I did make this in case that was rejected. I wanted to make it say the words Something Awful somehow but I don't know how I'd work it in.

You're telling me reddit hates vaginas yet is fine with Hitler?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

teen witch posted:

one odd side effect is that r/sweden went dark but r/swedents…did not. So people who had meant to post in the former started to post in the latter. Now I’m wondering if this’ll educate more on Swedens hideously outdated cannabis laws.

LJ is still around and contains, weirdly enough, one of the better sources of Hollywood gossip. For a long time, Buzzfeed ripped off their content.

LJ is functionally dead from what people remember, and it is now owned by the Russian govt bank, one subsidiary deep.

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009
Lmao ofc reddit approved the Hitler one.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

LJ is functionally dead from what people remember, and it is now owned by the Russian govt bank, one subsidiary deep.

Oh yeah it’s owned by the Russian govt via some wacky loopholes and poo poo but ONTD is surprisingly still alive as ever.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

you're next!

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I'm enjoying this blackout, stops me from hate scrolling and getting annoyed.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mega64 posted:

You're telling me reddit hates vaginas yet is fine with Hitler?

Well I don't see any vaginas making the trains run on time :colbert:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I dabbled in reddit from time to time. Was a good source of faster replies for niche searches. But since the blackout thing, the few subs I went to were "private", so I just Uninstalled the app. Lol. I didn't even know there were 3rd party apps.

Really feel like le reddits hosed themselves.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I was getting a lot of my celebrity gossip from r/fauxmoi and idk where to go now

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

buglord posted:

So now that reddit, discord, twitter, others are going down the drain, what's the solution here? I know ending capitalism is the solution but that seems a bit of a ways off.

A solution, that doesn't necessarily have to involve the complete collapse of capitalism, is to have things simply be a service again. Just be a service, that pays for itself, and is stable. Slow growth if any, no need to push a new feature every quarter, no massive funding rounds that get tied up in performance metrics, escape the enshitification cycle.

That's still fairly hard to do, especially if someone's aim is to make a massive platform, but that itself needs to go away as well. That said, there are plenty of examples that still work just fine, this site included. Something Awful, and it's forums, aren't massive money makers, but it's able to sustain itself. It's stable, the community is amazingly resilient, and as a result of that long standing stability an absolutely absurd amount of core internet culture (for good and bad) has emerged from it. Then you have even larger and more impactful (again: for good or bad) examples: Wikipedia, The Internet Archive/Wayback Machine, Archive of Our Own, and deeper down the ladder things like the old Yahoo Answers platform (RIP) or in smaller examples Community Game Servers.

The problem with that angle is that it takes someone/some group of people willing to just maintain and manage something for it's own sake because it's something they want in the world. These kind of places also aren't really what you'd call "social media"; They're platforms. It's hard to monetize "a platform" that doesn't operate under social media rules. Social media is all about reaching a critical mass of users as fast as possible and then milking those users for content to keep users on the site (and selling user data to fund it). A platform is usually focused on some topic/idea and the community will grow around it. Twitter doesn't have "a focus" it's just a place to shout into the void and maybe it shouts back, come look at all this shouting. AO3 is focused on Fanfiction and that's what naturally draws it's users, who then either engage just with the content and leave or stick around to join the community itself.

As a large scale thing, letting something be a service isn't viable. No one is going to try to make the next Twitter or Reddit, or Discord and convince a single goddamned backer with the pitch of "it's never going public, we're only ever aiming to cover our costs, and then stick around as long as possible". But moving towards federated systems like Mastodon might be. Creating a discord like system that runs similar to IRC, where you just get the program and set up the server yourself, is viable (people did it for years and most people jumped to discord because it combined voice/video/chat/and looked slick, no reason you couldn't make something similar that included a backend for setting up a dedicated server). Same with reddit, it's a loving link aggregator, a glorified public RSS feed.

But, even though it's possible to choose to forgo the allure of VC funding and being THE NEW BIG THING AND ALL THE MONEY AND POWER, it's rare to see it happen at any sort of scale. Or you can go back in time 30 years and make one of the first big comedy sites, slap a lovely phpBB on it, and against all odds and your own best efforts become embedded like a tumor on the internet and survive on and on and on.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got all the decluttering tips I'm ever going to get from r/declutter, so I never need to look at reddit again, thankfully.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I was getting a lot of my celebrity gossip from r/fauxmoi and idk where to go now
Easy:

teen witch posted:

ONTD is surprisingly still alive as ever.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
back on page 2:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Spez used to moderate r/jailbait back in the day, which has to move him at least a few spots up the dumb creepy tech CEO leaderboard.

loving what?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yup, that happened and was kinda just... swept under the rug

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
:lol: Somethingawful.com - Like a tumor on the Internet

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Browsing Reddit in Safari on iOS barely works. Before it'll show you anything you have to click through 'It's better on the app, trust us!' and then actually browsing around takes forever. I'm not a serial Reddit user so I don't need a dedicated app for it, but boy do they want me very badly to use it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dervival posted:

Yup, that happened and was kinda just... swept under the rug

I would think that the website formerly known for hosting near-CSAM now has a CEO associated with said incident would be newsworthy

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Browsing Reddit in Safari on iOS barely works. Before it'll show you anything you have to click through 'It's better on the app, trust us!' and then actually browsing around takes forever. I'm not a serial Reddit user so I don't need a dedicated app for it, but boy do they want me very badly to use it.

it's a bad site, op.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
The subreddit subscriber counts are definitely being buffed up with bot accounts to make reddit look much more active than it really is for investors. There are subreddits I use that supposedly have 100,000+ subscribers that really only have around 20 people actually regularly using them.

I don’t know anyone in real life who uses Reddit. I just use it for cooking and hobby subreddits. Lots of full time internet user dorks and weirdos on there. Lots of subreddits that are toxic echo chambers giving out bad advice and spreading misinformation. Also lots of ridiculously fake stories that dumbasses respond to and upvote for some reason. If reddit permanently went dark or just declined into irrelevance I don’t think much of any real value would be lost.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Spez used to moderate r/jailbait back in the day, which has to move him at least a few spots up the dumb creepy tech CEO leaderboard.

i heard this as well and looked into it, and apparently the excuse for this they're using now is that there is no confirmation required to make someone a mod, they don't have to accept, they just get appointed so anyone can be trolled by making them a mod of a gross subreddit.

sounds like complete bullshit to me though. there's really no notification to the user? and why wasn't such an obvious exploit abused more? seems like this would've come up so much for high profile users if it were true.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Bad Purchase posted:

i heard this as well and looked into it, and apparently the excuse for this they're using now is that there is no confirmation required to make someone a mod, they don't have to accept, they just get appointed so anyone can be trolled by making them a mod of a gross subreddit.

sounds like complete bullshit to me though. there's really no notification to the user? and why wasn't such an obvious exploit abused more? seems like this would've come up so much for high profile users if it were true.

The first part is true, you can be made a mod by someone involuntarily. My local subreddit has an "Anarchy" version with 600+ moderators. The admins basically just give moderation privileges away when someone shitposts or says something funny in the main sub. I'm not actually sure how to get out of being a mod, you don't even have to subscribe to a sub to be one.

You're right about not receiving notification being bullshit though. You get a DM saying you've been made a moderator - it's like a system message.

I'd also assume that if you messaged one of the site's admins saying you've been made a moderator of a sexually exploitative or otherwise deplorable subreddit, they'd remove it for you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

It was true back then. If it justifies the loving CEO (with people working under him who could check stuff easily) not knowing that he was a moderator for a certain subreddit is another matter altogether.

But while it's been more than a decade, I remember it being common practice for people to own their "posting enemies" (you probably know the type who would do that sort of thing) to set the most vilest of possible subreddits, then appoint another user as a moderator of that, which did not require any sort of confirmation/acceptance from that user and also would not trigger any sort of message to warn them*. Great feature! It would never be misused!

And then those people would pop in where that user was otherwise posting unaware of what had happened and go "ha ha, don't listen to this creep! He moderates r/sexwithdogs!" where that user would then be, as the kids said back then, "owned".

* remember that one of the current issues is that there are no good official mod tools in 2023, back then there weren't any

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

I like it. You mean something like this?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
If we are seriously advertising on Reddit (Lmao), an announcement pointing to the mobile app threads or links to the app store pages might be a good idea. On top of welcoming all the new and returning users with pig balls, of course.

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

Hey, I'm back, where's my pig balls?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Wouldn’t bringing ad viewing redditors decimate the quality of posting here or am I doing a fine job of that myself?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

hello internet posted:

Wouldn’t bringing ad viewing redditors decimate the quality of posting here or am I doing a fine job of that myself?

Yes, and I appreciate your effort to do it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

If we are seriously advertising on Reddit (Lmao), an announcement pointing to the mobile app threads or links to the app store pages might be a good idea. On top of welcoming all the new and returning users with pig balls, of course.

Yes. If you are seriously trying to bring new users into the site, at least replace the frontpage temporarily using a basic template with recent threads on the middle of the page, two icons to download the different mobile apps on the top, and a big "all this with a one time payment and no ads" button at the bottom. Basic stuff but it makes a huge difference.

Seriously. It is completely pointless to buy user recruiting ads only for people to 1) arrive, see a dead frontpage, and leave, or 2) find the forums but have them not work at all on their phones and no idea how to sort it easily

Heck, no effort mode: temporarily redirect the frontpage to the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

hello internet posted:

YTA, downvoted.

Good question. I don't know, I definitely wouldn't turn away a bunch more Formula 1 fans though.