Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Today during the firing of an employee for assaulting another employee my boss explicitly told me that, if I did the same thing and wasn't caught on camera, he'd make sure I didn't get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
A senior guy at my office decides to get into a dick measuring contest about who is busiest, but in the most obnoxious way possible. He also doesn't know what I do so his statements are at best ignorant, and at worst offensive.

I sat there watching him put me on blast on Teams, willing him to say one more line that could prompt me to walk out lol

I am that close to resigning to nothing, old mate doesn't realise he needs me way more than I need this job

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

RocketMermaid posted:

Never go into the brewing industry.

We have four owners of the business, and my manager, the one that actually knows how to brew, is overseas for a month meeting his partner of three years’ family for the first time. Today I had the owner who does sales and the pre-press poo poo for packaging tell me how top-cropping hazy yeast is just like how the air filter on an old school vw beetle sits in oil somehow. Fortunately my timer went off as he was drawing me a little picture, so I didn’t have to sit through that wee tangent.

I am working on a top-cropping collection system for our hazy yeast, but I know exactly what I need, I just need someone to do some proper sanitary welding to catch the high krausen overflow with a blow-off hose to airlock on the side.
As a side note: goddamn I can’t wait for NEIPA to go out of fashion. It’s horrible to make, bottom harvests get you three or four repitches because they inherently select the flocciest yeast, they age terribly and also they’re way too chewy and upset my delicate tum something chronic. Make IPA bright again!
Sadly our biggest seller is a hazy, so I am brewing that poo poo every two weeks. It’s good, it wins awards, but I don’t wanna drink it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Please don't build an interociter in your apartment.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pyrtanis posted:

I fuckin love when people who have never seen how a job is done, much less ever done it, make decisions on the structure of said job. I take it this person also is so lost in their own MBA fart sauce that offering feedback is a lost cause?

My wife was in the room when this was first suggested and no one really said anything. Dumb ideas get thrown out all the time without much pushback because without major backing from on high it's near impossible to fundamentally change a system like what was being suggested. The major issue is that this person does know how these things work, she's a senior director in Operations, which for us is pretty much all scheduling, building and delivery management. She reports directly to a VP of a business unit. MBA or not, she should recognize the impossibility of what she was suggesting before she said it out loud. My opinion of her is largely based on my wife's previous interactions, which have been less than positive. My wife now has to have people suggest her ideas in meetings with this woman because she will automatically deny anything my wife suggests.

TaurusTorus posted:

Our parts delivery is loving chaos, but it's better than that, and I spent 3 hours yesterday waiting on a flow sensor I could see was in the building, I just couldn't get it myself.

As much as I appreciate unions, that sounds exactly like the typical unionized shop floor. Sometimes I wonder how we get parts made at all.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Chewbecca posted:

A senior guy at my office decides to get into a dick measuring contest about who is busiest, but in the most obnoxious way possible. He also doesn't know what I do so his statements are at best ignorant, and at worst offensive.

I sat there watching him put me on blast on Teams, willing him to say one more line that could prompt me to walk out lol

I am that close to resigning to nothing, old mate doesn't realise he needs me way more than I need this job

Looking forward to months of you posting "almost resigned today, I swear" and never doing it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Today during the firing of an employee for assaulting another employee my boss explicitly told me that, if I did the same thing and wasn't caught on camera, he'd make sure I didn't get fired.

This is the sort of boss you want to keep close, hopefully never need a favor from until you're 100% certain you can get them gone.

I have no idea whether an encabulator is a real thing or not and don't want to know. I'm mentally filing it as a macguffin.

We're currently testing a design for a new kind of encabulator and it's not going well. Turns out R&D is hard and should not be attempted by small teams with no expertise in the area. Shocking stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The good encabulators eliminate side-fumbling.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

We're currently testing a design for a new kind of encabulator and it's not going well. Turns out R&D is hard and should not be attempted by small teams with no expertise in the area. Shocking stuff.

Have you tried not testing it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, that's what customers are for.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"beta ship" is what I've heard used

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Why pay for QA when your early adopters will pay you to do it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I guess, technically we are the potential customer. I'm just happy someone gave us money to test the drat thing.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Our manufacturing process should be a fairly simple, order -> design -> manufacturing -> delivery. This has worked without any major hiccups for a long time, but a few months ago the design department decided to just not do any work or reply to any emails or messages. The delivery times in this industry are pretty crucial because if one company is late then everyone else is late as well and thus there are pretty hefty penalties for late delivery.

This does not seem to concern our leadership outside of a few good managers. About a month ago they and the CEO managed to get a batch of stuff through the design phase, all of which were between 2 and 5 weeks late. Now it's exactly the same situation, all of my orders are in limbo and apparently this time even the CEO can't make the design department to do their jobs. :tif:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got asked if I was interested in joining the team that's going to be looking at doing AI stuff due to upper management dictating it as something we needed to "keep up on"

I said nah.

An hour later I'm on the AI research team. Why even ask my opinion at that point?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I mean, you had the choice to help willingly.

Now you're helping AND management has pegged you as a non-team player.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

I got asked if I was interested in joining the team that's going to be looking at doing AI stuff due to upper management dictating it as something we needed to "keep up on"

I said nah.

An hour later I'm on the AI research team. Why even ask my opinion at that point?

Do we work at the same place? I just heard about "Tasking someone at each controllership" to look into AI.
Same week we were told there will not be salary revisions (1-2% raises usually) a month before they were due to boot.
Accounting doing your basic R&D? That you most likely will ignore like usual if it's negative?
F-Off

I laughed, if they VolenTell me to do it I have so many "AI does not work for our industry or really at all" Info to dump on their desk with zero extra time expended..

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dumb move when you could spend a bunch of time slacking off researching AI and it’s application to your industry before doing it.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dumb move when you could spend a bunch of time slacking off researching AI and it’s application to your industry before doing it.

This would be done during my slacking off time or my personal time so boo to either.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If the ai in accounting screwed up and gave everyone a big bonus that would just be awful

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Could you use AI to do the AI research for you while you poo poo post or whatever?
I feel like this is a self solving problem.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Smuggins posted:

Do we work at the same place? I just heard about "Tasking someone at each controllership" to look into AI.
Same week we were told there will not be salary revisions (1-2% raises usually) a month before they were due to boot.
Accounting doing your basic R&D? That you most likely will ignore like usual if it's negative?
F-Off

I laughed, if they VolenTell me to do it I have so many "AI does not work for our industry or really at all" Info to dump on their desk with zero extra time expended..

We actually just got some big raises so, no. (Gov work so that's not a flex, I still make poo poo for the industry).

But yeah, AI doesn't fit into anything I work on. Because 90% of the stuff I work on has a userbase that's been working in the field since before I was born, don't want anything changed, and know exactly what goes where.

History Comes Inside! posted:

If it is anything like me being on the mobile app initiative, my existing workload would be the exact same, except now there's expectations that our flagshit project moves along in a timely manner until the higher ups find a different shiny to focus on.

Though right now it's mostly looking like it's going to be research based, so I could probably get away with being a lazy piece of poo poo and just copy/pasting most of my personal project code that used CGPT.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Deki posted:

I said nah.

Is this in your job description?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Requisitioned a refurbished headset off Amazon and the seller included a laffy taffy in the box as a little gift. A couple of my coworkers had serious concerns that it was laced with drugs, fentanyl in particular.

Who the gently caress is giving away free drugs through Amazon? I bet they check their kids' Halloween candy for razor blades, too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
All the promotional fentanyl candy I've received from various Amazon vendors may be well have led to my current despicable position I'm fat

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Machai posted:

Requisitioned a refurbished headset off Amazon and the seller included a laffy taffy in the box as a little gift. A couple of my coworkers had serious concerns that it was laced with drugs, fentanyl in particular.

Who the gently caress is giving away free drugs through Amazon? I bet they check their kids' Halloween candy for razor blades, too.

it has happened
https://twitter.com/JDealWFTV/status/921491777261010944
https://time.com/4994688/florida-couple-amazon-marijuana/

kashbrok
Jul 11, 2013
I just found out the most asinine poo poo I've ever heard. The family of companies is being destroyed on sites like Glassdoor because it's devolved into an overall bad and sad place to work after some changes to senior management. Instead of doing anything to address the issues, which are clearly stated in writing, they are suing to obtain user records so the complainers can be found and dealt with.

Due to the nature of my work I have to be involved in projects that are senior management and investor facing. In one of these meetings it was brought up in passing as if it was the most normal thing and met with platitudes as if it was a good move.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The onwers kid is going college for business and he wants to get some experience selling.

So the mandate has come down that we need to compile a list of products, their costs sale price, margin, and so on. Wrangle it all onto pallets. Then the art department is going to be making signage and price tags for all these products. And then all of it needs to be put together and hauled to a FLEA MARKET.

So he can get experience selling.

I mean, it will absolutely give him a taste of what it's like to be in Sales. Do whatever you want without know the preocur or dong any actual work, the office will do everything for you.

On the other hand, why bother? You're just going to hand the business to him so he can finish running it into the ground.

Also, most of these products are random quantities in our local warehouse that isn't even in inventory and doesn't have pricing in our system because they were discontinued so long ago we don't even have base pricing for them on file.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
At least you'll get paid to finally clean up the warehouse?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

SerthVarnee posted:

At least you'll get paid to finally clean up the warehouse?

Lmao gently caress that. I'm an accountant. I gave them the price list.

The little poo poo stopped by to "your the product range" with a groupie of his. Was already just barking off direction to the art department.

3rd generation wealth runs strong through him.

Money is on a cocaine and BDSM addiction in his future.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Could you use AI to do the AI research for you while you poo poo post or whatever?
I feel like this is a self solving problem.

I'm amazed by at least one of my co-workers just using ChatGPT instead of Google now. Heard a new term? Ask the AI. Best method for cleaning up some process? Ask AI. I mean, sure you can have it write joke poems about celebrity x in the style of artist y, but actually using a professionally lying algorithm for facts? gently caress that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm amazed by at least one of my co-workers just using ChatGPT instead of Google now. Heard a new term? Ask the AI. Best method for cleaning up some process? Ask AI. I mean, sure you can have it write joke poems about celebrity x in the style of artist y, but actually using a professionally lying algorithm for facts? gently caress that

The top results in google now are those AI lies in page form

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It was popular with some people to claim that with the arrival of the internet, future historians would have a much easier time looking back clearly at what was going on, because multiply redundant digital information is almost impossible to wipe out.

Guess that didn't last long. A few short decades from arrival to being completely choked with worthless falsity.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

kashbrok posted:

I just found out the most asinine poo poo I've ever heard. The family of companies is being destroyed on sites like Glassdoor because it's devolved into an overall bad and sad place to work after some changes to senior management. Instead of doing anything to address the issues, which are clearly stated in writing, they are suing to obtain user records so the complainers can be found and dealt with.

Due to the nature of my work I have to be involved in projects that are senior management and investor facing. In one of these meetings it was brought up in passing as if it was the most normal thing and met with platitudes as if it was a good move.

When a company hits the “punish the malcontents” phase of the downward spiral, it’s not long for this world.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I do the same thing in many circumstances at work. I ask it technical questions and it generally gives a good response. One thing you have to remember is that it is flawed, like asking a person, so it's best to treat it like you're asking a really smart and knowledgeable person that gets things mixed up a bit sometimes. Trust but verify.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Outrail posted:

Is this in your job description?

Lmao.

That ship has sailed, If I was only doing work in my job description I'd be bored to tears.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tarkus posted:

I do the same thing in many circumstances at work. I ask it technical questions and it generally gives a good response. One thing you have to remember is that it is flawed, like asking a person, so it's best to treat it like you're asking a really smart and knowledgeable person that gets things mixed up a bit sometimes. Trust but verify.

lol absofuckinglutely not

don’t let fancy autocomplete anywhere near your work because it literally doesn’t know poo poo, it’s just mashing together the top search results for whatever keywords you typed in and if you’re lucky they’ll be mostly accurate and in agreement so it doesn’t go wildly off into the weeds with bullshit

absolute freak behaviour to start treating it as though it’s useful for anything except writing nonsense copy for content mills and generating forum posts designed to make people start scrolling past as fast as they can

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Caveat, middle managers and executives have several job duties that only value sounding right over being right. Large language models are exceedingly good at sounding right if you haven't already learned to filter out falsely confident prose.

Combined with some of the raw data modeling work we could pretty well replace a middle manager in the next 5 years with a suitably aggressive AI project.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

you can replace almost any given middle manager with an upturned mop and bucket and a speak and spell taped to the side, that’s not the ringing endorsement of chatgpt one would think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Give me the marketing pitch that lets me sell a speak and spell for $10million and you'll be welcome to the table to bid.