Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

do you mean if one of your own cities get captured? sort of like abandon the upper layers and run into the tunnels?

Yeah, exactly. Not sure what you would use instead because that sounds annoying as gently caress to deal with when attacking a Skaven, but it could make for an ok faction affect instead of all skaven. Or just make it chance to happen.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Related question: Will your allies treat it as an act of war / will the game tank your trustworthy/reliability diplo score/stat if you use Warlock Engineers to install Under-Cities on your allies?
It is not an act of war or a reliability penatly, but it will trigger the normal diplomacy penalty for performing agent actions against settlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hell yeah. Hope you like downstairs neighbors you morons

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

My favorite thing is to take a settlement and then trade it to an AI for absurd favors. Take some hosed-to-death poo poo heap, offer it to the nearest person who doesn't hate you, collect like $5000 and a fuckload of good will.

I hope everyone also knows about the war declaration trick. Before you declare war on somebody, find their worst enemy who is also rich, and they will invariably pay you a large chunk of change to start a war you were already planning to wage. Free money.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

I hope everyone also knows about the war declaration trick. Before you declare war on somebody, find their worst enemy who is also rich, and they will invariably pay you a large chunk of change to start a war you were already planning to wage. Free money.

It does not bring in allies as well I believe. At least your own. Or vassals.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My allies are almost always useless assholes so including them in a war does nothing but make them more vulnerable as they send a full stack to raid a T1 province while their T4 capital is razed by beastmen

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

My favorite thing is to take a settlement and then trade it to an AI for absurd favors. Take some hosed-to-death poo poo heap, offer it to the nearest person who doesn't hate you, collect like $5000 and a fuckload of good will.

Yeah I do this to get myself out of trouble when I'm into multiple front wars. Take shitheap from someone I'm fighting, trade it to a different enemy for a NAP and gold then I can focus for 10+ turns. Gives you some breathing room and extra money. The AI grossly over-values settlements too. The only time it backfires is with LLs that tend to betray you but there are surprisingly few who will break a NAP early.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The AI really overvalues settlements, but in an annoying way too. By the mid-game a T2 minor settlement with a literal pile of greenskin poo poo in the center of town costs like $20k.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I do this to get myself out of trouble when I'm into multiple front wars. Take shitheap from someone I'm fighting, trade it to a different enemy for a NAP and gold then I can focus for 10+ turns. Gives you some breathing room and extra money. The AI grossly over-values settlements too. The only time it backfires is with LLs that tend to betray you but there are surprisingly few who will break a NAP early.

The AI does try to keep it's reliability up, and breaking a NAP early is the largest blow to reliability you can get iirc. Additionally, they'd be loving useless and no one would use them if they didn't work.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

UP AND ADAM posted:

:captainpop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In one of my Chorf campaigns I was fighting Zhao Ming and as I took his settlements I would trade them to Miao Ying, not only eventually getting an alliance with her but it also meant that I didn't have to worry about Zhao regaining any territory.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Giving settlements to my allies as a form of ablative armor around my poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've seen videos of TW3 where a Chaos player tries to gift settlements to a new vassal and the vassal is so pissed off that they refuse to take it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Cythereal posted:

I've seen videos of TW3 where a Chaos player tries to gift settlements to a new vassal and the vassal is so pissed off that they refuse to take it.

This has happened to me when I have subjugated factions I want to give things to.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cythereal posted:

I know it's just a consequence of how they do vassalization but it's stupid that I can smash someone down to their last man and offer them the gift of life, in service, and they still take like 30 turns seething before they'll entertain the idea of trading with me.

You would not exist but for my mercy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Personally, if someone butchered my entire empire I'd love him forever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Only if it was in accordance with The Great Plan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Giving settlements to my allies as a form of ablative armor around my poo poo

warhammer fantasy baltic states

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sounds like they shoulda declined or fought better. Empire skill issue

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

UP AND ADAM posted:

Also useful is using the "join war" diplomacy option to declare war on someone without pulling in all their allies.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

(bravely) Skaven should be able to build undercity stay-behind networks in cities they occupy and then donate

Slaanesh too. What, you think the Daily Horse Gangbang Society is going to just disband because of boring politics ? They've got charity streams on fridays and everything.
The charity does tend to be "Coke For Kidz" more often than not, but still.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LOVE having a Valiant Defeat AR that I played out into a Heroic Victory crash going to the postbattle screen

Enough to abandon this loving campaign on honestly, sorry Throt. Maybe I'll try you again in another year

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LOVE having a Valiant Defeat AR that I played out into a Heroic Victory crash going to the postbattle screen

Enough to abandon this loving campaign on honestly, sorry Throt. Maybe I'll try you again in another year

Oooooof that has happened too many times

Top tip though, most Valiant ARs are easily winnable

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think Kostaltyn is just secret-buffed by crashing the game if I fight him in half of this cursed slavic wasteland, he's the common factor in this crashing (I'm a fool, I tried again with ambushing him elsewhere)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Double-post because I figured out the crashing problem and was stupid enough to try Imrik.

What am I supposed to do against Chaos Dwarves as "fire guy: the guy who deals only fire damage"? Wish I'd picked up the newest DLC faction instead?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Wow playing throt in immortal empires sure went from easy in mortal empires to a brutal slog because Kislev is ridiculous.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Double-post because I figured out the crashing problem and was stupid enough to try Imrik.

What am I supposed to do against Chaos Dwarves as "fire guy: the guy who deals only fire damage"? Wish I'd picked up the newest DLC faction instead?

Chaos dwarves are not immune to halberds, greatswords, and fancy arrows

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
May I recommend my good friend chariot

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I picked up the two big DLCs for 3 during the sale, and finally got to play some today. I was wondering why my economy as Astragoth was so awful until I realized I somehow had "accept laborers" unclicked on all my provinces so I was getting no slaves at all.

That was a restart, ha.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Man, skullcrackers are really good now. Can rack up hundreds of kills with those now

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Can anyone recommend some fun PvP Immortal Empires starts? Like maybe playing 20-30 turns against a buddy or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun PvP Immortal Empires starts? Like maybe playing 20-30 turns against a buddy or two.

Ungrim vs Astragoth?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah any sort of "civil war" start (if you wanna beat up on each other) with the same faction would be fun.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Any faction is fun because you can literally take control of the ai in every single fight your opponent is in and totally gently caress them over

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jarvisi posted:

Any faction is fun because you can literally take control of the ai in every single fight your opponent is in and totally gently caress them over

I do that by taking charge of my friends units and being bad at the game instead. Your archers all died? Oh sorry dude I was watching Ikit's cool animations forgot I sent them over there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jarvisi posted:

Yeah it’s this. You can also, if you’re very bad manners, do meta poo poo like using an entire AI army to focus down a high-value unit early on.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Honestly, Empire needs a power buff. Going up against high level Chaos (Nurgle most often) stacks with even a main line of great swords is just a loving massacre. Just lost, barely, to Festus with (lvl 25) Karl's stack with a death wizard, all gold chevron great swords, gunners and grenade launchers and they just mulched me. I had 3 mortars and the ROR rocket launcher and they didn't make a difference at all as the plagueridden weirdos just marched through the hail of lead. Empire is really well balanced against Vampire Counts, but there's so many really scary factions that have been added later. Of course, the auto resolve literally took about 5% losses winning the same battle so maybe I'm just terrible.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Grenades and mortars will devastate certain opponents, but they aren't armor piercing. You want cannons when you're fighting chaos armies. Position your lines in such a way that they can rake a latlrge chunk of the enemy line and they will rack up a lot of kills.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm poking at Nakai with the fan patch, and man these units look so much better than my borrowed dinos I used as Miao Ying.

Black and white just does not work as a color scheme for the lizards, imo, especially the sacred kroxigors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nuclear War posted:

Honestly, Empire needs a power buff. Going up against high level Chaos (Nurgle most often) stacks with even a main line of great swords is just a loving massacre. Just lost, barely, to Festus with (lvl 25) Karl's stack with a death wizard, all gold chevron great swords, gunners and grenade launchers and they just mulched me. I had 3 mortars and the ROR rocket launcher and they didn't make a difference at all as the plagueridden weirdos just marched through the hail of lead. Empire is really well balanced against Vampire Counts, but there's so many really scary factions that have been added later. Of course, the auto resolve literally took about 5% losses winning the same battle so maybe I'm just terrible.

Other than chaos spawn, p much the entire Chaos roster is armored so you really only want greatswords and/or halberds, handgunners, and AP artillery. Everything else is functionally useless. And since Chaos generally also brings their super-heavy cavalry, you'll probably want halberds instead of greatswords regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nuclear War posted:

The mortars are going to be next to useless so you want better arty to start. The other main thing is what kind of units chaos are running. If they're using chosen, you're just going to need to send a lot more men. Chosen will cost more than twice as much as handgunners and Festus doesn't have much scope to make a lot of cash compared to Empire economy. Build a second stack of halberdiers and handgunners and bury Festus in your dead. Grind them down. That's the Empire way.