Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

This may be true for item affixes but not true for weapon damage and armor values, so you still want to shoot for higher item power, especially on your weapon(s).

Yes, this is true. I was just talking about item affixes. Ilvl 725 is where they cap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

What are people doing for leveling alts? I'm running whispers but it's kinda monotonous. I think I might remake this class and not skip the campaign this time.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Pylons posted:

What are people doing for leveling alts? I'm running whispers but it's kinda monotonous. I think I might remake this class and not skip the campaign this time.

https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/how-to-power-level-alts-in-diablo-4-level-1-50-in-under-one-hour-333448

as for solo, i think it will become much easier to level alts once we have season's blessings and battle pass xp boosts available next month

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

How common are horse cosmetics? I got a pair of moose antlers a couple days ago and found some saddle thing yesterday.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not
Is the world boss for everyone or just local people? My map says the world boss spawns in like 20 minutes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ninjahedgehog posted:

:hai:

Just rolled credits and an actual paladin or crusader might be tough to squeeze in due to story reasons, but there's plenty of room for Armiger/Warlord/Champion/Zealot/whatever they want to call their holy knight archetype that's not technically affiliated with the knights-penitent

Nah, that's just a run of the mill "holy warrior discovered corruption inside the institution" style story.

poo poo, Diablo 2 had the paladin going to loving town on their version of the Vatican in Act 3, basically going "wait you're doing loving WHAT in the basement?" and then bashing all the skulls.

There was a diablo 2 comic that was focused on the paladin and went into this a bit in . . . I want to say like 2003? fake edit: googling it looks like it was "Diablo: Tales of Sanctuary." Anyway, it leaned heavily into what Kurast was, howe mephisto corrupted it, and how that was all kind of an insane mind gently caress to the Pally.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I wish I could remember how I got an item level 700 weapon when I'm 56 on wt3 and haven't seen another 700 level anything since.
Can I do nightmare dungeons? Like are they level scaled or like minimum level 70?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

I wish I could remember how I got an item level 700 weapon when I'm 56 on wt3 and haven't seen another 700 level anything since.
Can I do nightmare dungeons? Like are they level scaled or like minimum level 70?

You can do nightmare dungeons as soon as you enter WT3. All you need is to consume a sigil to activate that dungeon. I think nightmare tier 1 starts at ~level 53 or 54 and scales as the sigil scales.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ferrin posted:

Is the world boss for everyone or just local people? My map says the world boss spawns in like 20 minutes.

It's for everyone. There are various tracking websites/discords/etc. that you can use to see possible spawn times. When a boss spawns, another one can't spawn for like 4-5 hours and then there's a window of a couple hours where another one will pop.

Teleporting to town for a few seconds and going back into your portal will usually pop you into a fresh shard with different players. If I'm waiting for a WT4 boss to spawn I usually hop in and out a few times until I see a couple level 80+ folks just because of how much faster and easier that makes it. If you have nothing but 55-70 players it can suck sometimes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

ilvl 700+ is rare at that level but it happens. I'm 58 and around 53 they were super rare, but now I'm finding them semi-frequently.

There's a real drag around lvl 50-60 though.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just rolled credits and an actual paladin or crusader might be tough to squeeze in due to story reasons, but there's plenty of room for Armiger/Warlord/Champion/Zealot/whatever they want to call their holy knight archetype that's not technically affiliated with the knights-penitent

They're different religions.

Zakarum =/= Cathedral of Light.

The paladins from D2's religion focused on the non-personification of "Light" vs. Knights Penitent worshipping Inarius as the personification of Light in sanctuary as the father of creation.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

there was a recent dev talk for d4 where he said that the next d4 class is likely going to be "something new." then he mentioned there's going to be a 'blood knight' in diablo immortal. it felt like he was alluding to idea they might come to IV as well but who knows. that filled me with a lot of disappointment, until i did the cannibal stronghold, where they worship a blood god. I don't know if they can tie those two concepts together for a new class but it could be rad.

Pylons posted:

i know it wont give the XP, but PSA that you can save your whispers from your main character and open them on your alt

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

PSA if you are running nightmare dungeons and you have buddies that aren't strong enough to hang with you, you can invite them right before fighting the boss or clearing the last objective and they can get free glyph exp.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

soscannonballs posted:

PSA if you are running nightmare dungeons and you have buddies that aren't strong enough to hang with you, you can invite them right before fighting the boss or clearing the last objective and they can get free glyph exp.

I wonder if folks are spamming trade for this very purpose. I haven't joined trade chat yet.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Astryl posted:

They're different religions.

Zakarum =/= Cathedral of Light.

The paladins from D2's religion focused on the non-personification of "Light" vs. Knights Penitent worshipping Inarius as the personification of Light in sanctuary as the father of creation.

Ah fair enough, haven't played Diablo since 1 so this is helpful. Yeah in that case it probably won't be hard to give the paladin a line of dialogue or two about how the Fantasy Orthodox are dong weird stuff that Fantasy Catholics like him aren't into

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sloober posted:

something extremely funny is that certain beefy/large enemies have a minimum turning radius, so if you're standing to the side of them just right they will literally run circles around you, unable to turn to hit you. It's especially noticeable on those giant cannibals with the two spiked clubs, but some oversized balrogs can get struck by this. there's a "very rare" cannibal that starts off in an ice prison on the far west edge of fractured peaks in the long winding mountain path that you can rig into doing this just by being on his left side before he breaks out of his prison. he drops a guaranteed rare with +ice damage +ice res and +thorns (if you care about that)

On the topic of 'very rare' monsters they all have a specific rare item with guaranteed stats. if you see a little white pulsing symbol on your minimap that's just a marker for 'hey go here and kill a guy'. most of their rare drops aren't that great tho but there is an achievo for killing like 8 of them or something

I'm only in Act 3 but there have been a couple bosses thus far as a barbarian where I was legit confused like "did i break this game?" where I've stood very close to the boss and they don't seem to be able to hit me at all and they're just kind of shuffling back and forth and to that i say, "i'll take it!!!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

Can they not just hang in the entrance?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pylons posted:

I'm in your same situation and I'm trying to keep things interesting by leveling in the PvP areas. The monster density is very high (especially elites), there are 3 event locations, you can use the seeds to gamble for equip (same as obols), there may be whispers in there as well. If there are gankers around you can log out and back in when in town to swap to a different instance.

It's still boring mind you, but a bit less considering the potential of PvP.

Twinking is a bit more difficult compared to D2 because a) the items in your stash are more likely than not high level and b) a lot of items/aspects/affixes are class specific. Like +mana doesn't convert to +spirit
, for example.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I hope season 1 introduces a bounty system similar to D3 where we can fight the story bosses again.

Also bring back the cube so we have a reason to collect all these stupid gems!

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I leveled my first alt by fully exploring the map collecting every Lilith statue, clearing every stronghold, etc while stopping to do events for obols on the way since I missed a ton of it playing through the campaign and side quests on my main.

It felt fast to me anyways, you get exp for every statue and a ton for the strongholds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m saving alts for seasons

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There is no way collecting statues for the second time on an alt felt fast to you

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I didn't collect them the first time, I had like 2 per region because I wasn't paying attention to anything but campaign and side quests and then a couple nightmare dungeons before trying a second class :shrug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How is "werewolf who throws tornados" the strongest druid build

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I dunno, but I like that it is.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Giant bear who pulverizes the ground is right up there with it though, tbf. Maybe not for solo pushing nightmare dungeons, although you only really suffer on the boss and the boss isn't the hardest part of the nightmare dungeon so far for me. It's only the human caster druids that don't have a great build. Probably just because it's easier to stack armor/DR on the shapeshifted forms, and they have uniques that synergize with them better.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So there's no way to power-level an alt huh? My main complaint at launch D3 was it was too easy to power level my main (was beating last boss on highest difficulty solo, in like 2 days) but now with D4 I just wanna get an alt up to speed and it looks like it's gonna be heinously slow because areas are always the same level as me mostly?

The game's really fixed to four stash tabs as well? That's rough if you have alt-itis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The power leveling in d3 was always weird imho. Seemed like a band aid they left

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've seen a few Aspects that look cool for Lightning focused ones. I want to try a Nature's Fury build but I need cooldown gear to keep Hurricane blowing and Boulders rolling.

There's one that reduces all non-Ultimate cooldowns each time you cast a free spell, so you might be able to keep Bulwark up a bunch for Unstoppable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hopefully the game is fun enough where re leveling feels fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was cool. Level 1 to 70 in 10 minutes or less, baby!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Zero VGS posted:

So there's no way to power-level an alt huh? My main complaint at launch D3 was it was too easy to power level my main (was beating last boss on highest difficulty solo, in like 2 days) but now with D4 I just wanna get an alt up to speed and it looks like it's gonna be heinously slow because areas are always the same level as me mostly?

The game's really fixed to four stash tabs as well? That's rough if you have alt-itis.

Best PL method right now:

https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/how-to-power-level-alts-in-diablo-4-level-1-50-in-under-one-hour-333448

It's basically the "stand at the entrance of this rift while somebody else kills everything" method from D3.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

as for solo, i think it will become much easier to level alts once we have season's blessings and battle pass xp boosts available next month

I tried this last night with my friends just to see if it could be done and it worked like a charm. I went from 20-49 in probably an hour and a half. Obviously now I have to figure out how the gently caress to play my class that I've barely played with but hey, the power leveling worked.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I turned the difficulty down to tier 1 and holy poo poo this is so much faster, is there conventional wisdom on whether I should be doing the story on 1 or 2? Feels like the pace of doing stuff might be better than the bonus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deformed Church posted:

I turned the difficulty down to tier 1 and holy poo poo this is so much faster, is there conventional wisdom on whether I should be doing the story on 1 or 2? Feels like the pace of doing stuff might be better than the bonus.

Tier 1 is faster because WT2 doesn't give any special bonuses to loot and you can just immediately jump to WT3 wearing whatever gear you found during the campaign.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

So there's no way to power-level an alt huh?

Have friends.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

Most people say to do it on WT1, I did it on WT1. Play what you think is fun, though. WT2 is kind of weird and they probably need to re-think what it's for, bonuses don't seem to make up for the annoyance of high HP story bosses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

I don't know about wisdom, but I really enjoyed the story on WT2. Combat felt deliberate and chunky, and I finished off the story at something like lvl 45. I had a few bosses where I absolutely got wrecked for a bit before I figured poo poo out, but on the whole it felt challenging in a fun way. I never felt like I was having to grind for levels or gear, it was just a giant string of following the yellow quest markers.

Now, was it optimally efficient? I doubt it. If all I wanted to do was rush the quest as quick as possible so I could start grinding my way to 100 there were probably better ways to do it. But it was fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I probably would have enjoyed wt2 during the campaign on something other than barbarian. I spent about 30 minutes total in wt2 to do the capstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cool, thanks, I'll stick with tier 1 for a bit, at least. Feels a bit piss easy though! Admittedly I haven't hit any major bosses yet, but I'm just jamming my face directly into elite packs with zero thought about positioning, target priority, kiting, defensive skill use, how much health I've got, or really anything except whether it's right click time or left click time.