Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gotta be my boys Lure of the Deep Wilderness and Volcano Looming High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sharp Fangs, Starlight, Finder and Trickster

I'll play pretty much anything except Shroud and Vengeance

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Serpent and Downpour for me.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

River Surges in Sunlight, Many Minds Move as One, Downpour Drenches the World are my favorite to play.

It used to be Spread of Rampant Green far and away in #1 but my friends got too spoiled by it and I like swapping spirits every game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ocean and BoDaN.

I've still not got the chance to play Build-a-Bear or Tome Guy but they seem neat.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I keep a spreadsheet to record my games and try to play all of the spirits more or less evenly, and I honestly like all of them.

The only real misses for me are Vital Strength of the Earth's aspects, both of which seem lovely.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

I keep a spreadsheet to record my games and try to play all of the spirits more or less evenly, and I honestly like all of them.

The only real misses for me are Vital Strength of the Earth's aspects, both of which seem lovely.

Really? The one that gives you extra cards and plays and damage is fun as hell.

Vengeance is probably my favorite spirit. Honorable mention for Trickster, Volcano, and Shroud.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lure and River

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

Gotta be my boys Lure of the Deep Wilderness and Volcano Looming High.

Add Ocean to this and you've got my list of favorite spirits.

I think I like the ones that are limited to certain areas of the board, because it increases the puzzle aspect of the game. How DO I deal with that problem that's outside my domain?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I would not say they are my favorite spirit, but there's definitely some charm in rolling around the board with Thunderspeaker chilling with the homies and mercing dudes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ConfusedUs posted:

Add Ocean to this and you've got my list of favorite spirits.

I think I like the ones that are limited to certain areas of the board, because it increases the puzzle aspect of the game. How DO I deal with that problem that's outside my domain?

Pull Reaching Grasp :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Toshimo posted:

I would not say they are my favorite spirit, but there's definitely some charm in rolling around the board with Thunderspeaker chilling with the homies and mercing dudes.

I love it when a teammate plays Thunderspeaker, because almost everything can be about helping their army in some fashion. Cards that aren't quite worth it become worth it if they have anything defense- or Dahan-related at all. Which is a LOT of them.

Oh you need more dudes? Defend some dudes? Boost damage of the dudes? Dude. I'm in.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh shoot I forgot my other favorite spirit, which is vengeance. They're maybe slightly undertuned but they make you approach the game completely differently from anything else and that rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I also forgot Stone's Unyielding Defiance, who loving owns. Hit me, and I'll hit you twice as hard.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Really? The one that gives you extra cards and plays and damage is fun as hell.

My experience is that it mostly makes him more powerful late in the game which is when he's powerful anyway because of his energy generation.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

I also forgot Stone's Unyielding Defiance, who loving owns. Hit me, and I'll hit you twice as hard.

Half as hard plus two, actually

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I will have try a solo game tomorrow and try to set it up for a local gaming store for game 2. Hopefully, I will have a good time alongside anyone who would like to join me.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The mobile app is free to download. It's very barebones without MTX but if you want some rules help it's got a free tutorial.

Reading this page helped me a ton early on: https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Rules-semi-commonly-misplayed

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah my first mistake was putting all cards on ravage build and explore

Then wondering what I did wrong ending up with 2 blight turn one and getting Blighted Island. Need to improve my reading comprehension.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It’s still so amazing to me how good the balance of Spirit Island is when it feels so balanced on a knife edge (at appropriate difficulty). Then you make enough space for a play to swing the tempo, get ahead of the curve just a tiny bit, and then the game is usually over very soon after.

Trip report- Played Ocean’s Hungry Grasp and River Surges in Sunlight vs Level 6 Sweden and we were doing ok, but struggling with the inland cities that Ocean couldn’t drown and River couldn’t move. Went for a Major power draw as River and got a 7 cost: 8 damage to one area, 4 damage to a second that cleaned up those cities (ravaging on the next turn) and between that and a good stage 3 draw we suddenly went from sweating how to hold onto our last blight to full control and a clear victory. We still had an event that forced us to lose 6 presence (3 each board) or lose on the last turn, but fortunately ocean had plenty to donate.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

drat that a fun tale of the waters trying to reach the dry boys.

Sadly, I wasn't able to find many people at my local gaming store.

Good news I was able to play the tutorial with power progression and no adversary. I was able to get the general flow of the game, so I should be able to have some idea on teaching others how to set up and play the game. The Store was nice enough to inform me that usually it's best to give a forward notice so people interested in Spirit Island can Check it out. I'll try to see if I can get my irl friend to play with me so we can have fun and bond and stuff.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
My current problem in spirit island (at least with the base spirits that our campaign has specified we use) is always going too hard into card plays and trapping myself in a cycle where I reclaim every other turn. I think I just need to grab majors earlier so I have a reason to gain energy and work towards something. I think I just overvalue the innate powers because they are consistent and predictable, and unless you are lucky, the major usually doesn't match your elements well.

My teammate in that Ocean/River game didn't have that issue though, I think between pushing stuff into the water and the Card plays = energy River card, I generated like 30+ energy for him over the course of the game.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's a fair amount of spirits that enter a reclaim loop or are strongest with a reclaim loop. River and Lightning are strongest with early loops. Eyes Watch and Devouring Teeth seem to always enter one. Bunch of others.

I agree that it is an issue though. Some people don't mind. I think it's very difficult to avoid within the design space: you need four good starting cards to not get overwhelmed early on, and both power decks are random (drawing four does help a lot). There's plenty of spirits which do do well without ever needing to enter a reclaim loop... but the ones that do use loops are going to end up in the higher "tiers" because you just can't beat consistency.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bad news: I couldn't get others to join my game since well everyone else busy with theirs. The good news is the store has a facebook group, so I could try to use that to set up Pick up Games. I'll try to see if I can do that safely. Side note I really wish more people in my area still wore masks. Plus I was able to get two games in. I just need to reread the rules and practice until I can get cozy playing solo and with others.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 3, 2023

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Putting together an irl playgroup always seems to be frustrating. Good luck.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Introduced three buddies to the game with core box stuff, initial hurdle of how all the systems operate was a lot to take in but everyone caught on pretty quick in few turns. First game was with the basic 4 spirits with me volunteering as tribute and using Shadows.

Didn't use the precon decks and went with the proper power drafting. The player with Vital initially felt they weren't doing much but managed to fully keep their part of the board locked down while getting cards to unlock their innate which then got used on River & Lightning, which was huge for keeping their parts of the board clean while I struggled with Shadows in my own corner. Next game was with randomly drafted spirits from core, promo1 and promo2 packs (got Heart, Lightning, River and Ocean).

Everyone internalized the ravage-build-explore loop and planning ahead for the future with the resources available fast. i.e leaving a explorer + town to do a blight was fine if there was 2x Dahan (immediately renamed as toadstools) to punish for that and so on.

Time to do a difficulty tweak by introducing adversaries, the event deck and B&C + JE in the next session whenever that happens.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Played in a three-player game last night as Bodan. Opponent was Sweden 2 and scenario was Ward the shores. I observed that there is a disconnect between what feels good for the individual player versus what is best for the team.

One of my early minor power draws was Sky Stretches to Shore (This turn, target Spirit may use 1 Slow Power as if it were Fast, or vice versa. Target Spirit gains +3 Range for targeting Coastal lands only). This power absolutely changes the entire scenario dynamic because it allows the spirits to build the wards (1) in the fast phase to get the 3 defense and (2) without having to build sacred sites in all of the shores. Sky Stretches to Shore isn't great for hitting the thresholds of Bodan's innate powers, so I spent a lot of turns not feeling individually effective. Seeing the other spirits (A Spread of Rampant Green and Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds) play multiple powers across the boards while I was barely able to do much beyond defend one land a turn was personally demoralizing. On the flip side, with the reclaim one option for Bodan, I was reclaiming Sky Stretches just about every turn and casting it on my partners allowing them to create wards easily and we were able to eke out a win building a ward in the last coastal land in the fast phase (again thanks for Sky Stretches) after the island blighted at the start of stage III the prior turn. I absolutely know that without that power, the game would have gone much different, but it just didn't feel like I was personally contributing.

I guess what I really discovered is that I don't care for Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares because of the limitations of generating extra fear instead of killing invaders. I like to see direct effects from my powers rather than the indirect effects (such as gaining fear cards or boosting other spirits).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve played this game an uncountable amount of times and I have never set up a scenario. I just never felt a need to shake the game up.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SettingSun posted:

I’ve played this game an uncountable amount of times and I have never set up a scenario. I just never felt a need to shake the game up.

Same. Though, not uncountable. Dozens though.

Everybody Hates BoDaN! I still like him. Stop bully him

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Bodan just needs a friendly ocean

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or slightly better tracks

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's at least two BoDaN aspects coming in Nature Incarnate!

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I've found Bodan's innate that gives you a preview of the next fear card to be surprisingly good. The effects might be of variable impact, but being able to plan around them helps eke out just enough advantage to snowball later.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Introduced two people to SI over the past two nights. Not as painful as expected for the teach but base + B&C is plenty enough rules, can't blame them feeling a bit overwhelmed. I included everything except an Adversary.

I'm happy I played sooo many games before attempting a proper teach. Never needing to reference the rulebook while answering questions, not second-guessing... that's the good stuff. Kept the game moving and considering the the 4p game went for like 3 hours that was pretty critical.

One player played Vital Strength over two games, one played BoDaN in her first ever game, and my brother spammed Ocean's. BoDaN wasn't too overwhelming but I had to gently remind about the Special Rule a handful of times. I also missed that Ocean's energy changes with player count and so did my brother, so he was stupid fat for no good reason. Doesn't really matter, it shouldn't be possible to lose a Difficulty 0 at all.

The new players really, really liked the particular spirits they chose so they were having a blast. My worries that the game would be too weighty were founded... but that that would turn people off entirely were not. Good success. Sounds like they're going to buy it for themselves to play with their own friends back home! :sickos:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Introduced two people to SI over the past two nights. Not as painful as expected for the teach but base + B&C is plenty enough rules, can't blame them feeling a bit overwhelmed. I included everything except an Adversary.

I'm happy I played sooo many games before attempting a proper teach. Never needing to reference the rulebook while answering questions, not second-guessing... that's the good stuff. Kept the game moving and considering the the 4p game went for like 3 hours that was pretty critical.

One player played Vital Strength over two games, one played BoDaN in her first ever game, and my brother spammed Ocean's. BoDaN wasn't too overwhelming but I had to gently remind about the Special Rule a handful of times. I also missed that Ocean's energy changes with player count and so did my brother, so he was stupid fat for no good reason. Doesn't really matter, it shouldn't be possible to lose a Difficulty 0 at all.

The new players really, really liked the particular spirits they chose so they were having a blast. My worries that the game would be too weighty were founded... but that that would turn people off entirely were not. Good success. Sounds like they're going to buy it for themselves to play with their own friends back home! :sickos:

Yeah, I've found that playing without an adversary but with the B&C tokens makes for a solid teaching game.

When teaching, the biggest problem I've found is that some players tend to want to save the Dahan at any cost. They'll spend all their money moving them around away from invaders and doing nothing to stop said invaders.

Those people inevitably play as Thunderspeaker or maybe Eyes once the learn the rules.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You reminded me that ravaging has been consistently the hardest thing for new players to grok in my game.

They expect that: Dahan provide defense to the land, Dahan attack is simultaneous to invader attack. This is reasonable and I had the same type of issue.

Strongly recommend - what I figured out I needed to do - not fast-forwarding through removing Dahan/invader pieces and taking it step by step. "Invaders attack land -> Invaders attack Dahan -> Dahan fight back" Call out each step and assign damage as you're meant to (flip Dahan, invaders; specifically call out that invaders distribute damage as efficiently as possible) so that it sticks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You reminded me that ravaging has been consistently the hardest thing for new players to grok in my game.

They expect that: Dahan provide defense to the land, Dahan attack is simultaneous to invader attack. This is reasonable and I had the same type of issue.

Strongly recommend - what I figured out I needed to do - not fast-forwarding through removing Dahan/invader pieces and taking it step by step. "Invaders attack land -> Invaders attack Dahan -> Dahan fight back" Call out each step and assign damage as you're meant to (flip Dahan, invaders; specifically call out that invaders distribute damage as efficiently as possible) so that it sticks.

"Dahan are not ablative armor" is a phrase I've said way, way too many times!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't care how long it takes, with brand new players we do the entire invader phase one step, one land at a time as a group. In addition to the above they usually have a tough time grasping that damage is simultaneously done to the land and to the dahan, and defense would cover both.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
Just got an update that Nature Incarnate will start shipping as soon as June 19! Very exciting; I haven't played much recently because I know my group is going to play nothing but Spirit Island for months after it comes out. Breath of Darkness is the spirit I'm most excited for; the abduction mechanic sounds really fun. My only problem with the expansion: I don't think I'll be able to fit everything into one box anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Any idea when NI will be available for non-backers? I found this game well after the kickstarter had closed.