Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
How many watts are the motors rated for and what will the duty cycle be like? Those are going to be the deciding factors about that. I'm thinking that box is going to get kind of hot, but if you don't care about replacing the motors if they burn out, I wouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I could use some wiring help on this '72 Tele Custom project guitar I'm working on. This is the first guitar I've wired with more than two pots and I think I'm confusing myself. When I plug it in I get a hum coming from the amp that goes away when I touch the metal, which is pretty normal, but there's no sound coming from the pickups no matter which position the switch is in.

Here's a quick diagram I made in MS Paint with what I have wired up:

The neck pickup is a Mojotone '72 Clone humbucker and the bridge is a generic two wire tele pickup.

I based my wiring off this diagram:

Any help any help is definitely appreciated!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Chip McFuck posted:

I could use some wiring help on this '72 Tele Custom project guitar I'm working on. This is the first guitar I've wired with more than two pots and I think I'm confusing myself. When I plug it in I get a hum coming from the amp that goes away when I touch the metal, which is pretty normal, but there's no sound coming from the pickups no matter which position the switch is in.

Here's a quick diagram I made in MS Paint with what I have wired up:

The neck pickup is a Mojotone '72 Clone humbucker and the bridge is a generic two wire tele pickup.

I based my wiring off this diagram:

Any help any help is definitely appreciated!
No sound at all from any pickup, in any switch position, makes me think either the problem is at the switch or the jack is wired backward.

Are you sure the lugs on the switch, especially the one connected to the tip of the output jack, are correctly wired? I have guitars with 3-way toggle switches where the "both pickups" and "ground" lugs are on different sides of the switch. In a standard 3-way toggle, the "both pickups" lug is actually two inner lugs bent together. The one thick lug would be the ground.

I would probably mix up which black wire was supposed to be hot and which was supposed to be ground at the jack in this case. I try to protect myself by always, always, having any black wires I add going to ground.

I copied a diagram out of Gerry Hayes' book when I recently put together a Tele Custom. However, I believe it is essentially the same as what is shown on the Fralin Pickups website: https://www.fralinpickups.com/wiring-diagrams/telecaster-custom-wiring-diagram/

I don't think it's standard for the tele bridge pickup hot wire to be black, but I don't think that would give you total silence if it was backward.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks for the advice! I double checked the switch and turns out I misread the lugs. Swapping the ground and common wires fixed it and now everything is working as it should!

The cable colors in the diagram I made were more to help differentiate and make it easier to read. All the wiring in it is done with black and white cloth cable and I was concerned it'd be hard to read when translated to a 2d drawing. Sorry for the confusion!

I was initially confused as to the bridge wires as well, but the documentation that came with the pickup said the white is ground and black is hot. Even if that winds up being a misprint or something, I'm going to keep it for now as all that means is its out of phase which might make some interesting sounds. We'll see when I get the whole thing assembled and can play it more thoroughly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I needed a gate-to-trigger converter, and rather than spend another hundred bucks on a utility module I found circuit diagrams for a passive one and built two of them into a 4HP module:

https://imgur.com/a/8gYQ4v9

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RocketMermaid posted:

I needed a gate-to-trigger converter, and rather than spend another hundred bucks on a utility module I found circuit diagrams for a passive one and built two of them into a 4HP module:

https://imgur.com/a/8gYQ4v9

Wow, thanks for sharing that!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

How many watts are the motors rated for and what will the duty cycle be like? Those are going to be the deciding factors about that. I'm thinking that box is going to get kind of hot, but if you don't care about replacing the motors if they burn out, I wouldn't worry about it.

Armacham, just to reply so I'm not ignoring you, I didn't quit on this LOL, I have redone the project and have added more layers of soundproofing, just because I am sort of like a dog digging a hole LOL. No really, I have such a collection of assorted odds and ends and a solution just jumped out at me so despite the fact I think this is kind of inelegant, it is what I had on hand and well, the green plastic transformer enclosure was just too cool to not use. I'm not used to seeing such large things saying "Amphenol" on them.

Some pics frm the assembly process. Not shown: I stuffed it with old socks and cloth scraps for baffling, just because they were on hand. Had I known it was going to be so difficult to soundproof it, I would have saved up for a more suitable motor, jeez, it's so many layers. But it is up and running and working as intended, more or less.

See, this is where I discovered the box I made was p much a perfect fit for this transformer cover I found lying by the highway one day. Look, it fits in there just right with room for plenty of old socks on all sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231F93Dmd2I

This little project isn't over either. I've always felt like there was some potential in a wheel based sequencer but this has really impressed me. Of course you could just simulate all this in a VST without all the mess.

And I don't want to hear any "bitch you live like this" poo poo, I will clean my room when I'm good and ready I'm 60 years old.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 3, 2023

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Finished up the '72 Tele Custom project I've been working on. Alder body with soft-v-carve roasted maple neck, both with a few coats of tru oil for finish. Mojotone 72 Clone in the neck and generic overwound tele pickup in the bridge. Really liking the Bensonite bridge saddles - WAY more comfortable than the Wilkinsons that I had been using. Been thinking of putting a sticker or something on the headstock as it looks kind of bare, so if there are any suggestions of what to put there I'm open to them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

Armacham, just to reply so I'm not ignoring you, I didn't quit on this LOL, I have redone the project and have added more layers of soundproofing, just because I am sort of like a dog digging a hole LOL. No really, I have such a collection of assorted odds and ends and a solution just jumped out at me so despite the fact I think this is kind of inelegant, it is what I had on hand and well, the green plastic transformer enclosure was just too cool to not use. I'm not used to seeing such large things saying "Amphenol" on them.

Some pics frm the assembly process. Not shown: I stuffed it with old socks and cloth scraps for baffling, just because they were on hand. Had I known it was going to be so difficult to soundproof it, I would have saved up for a more suitable motor, jeez, it's so many layers. But it is up and running and working as intended, more or less.

See, this is where I discovered the box I made was p much a perfect fit for this transformer cover I found lying by the highway one day. Look, it fits in there just right with room for plenty of old socks on all sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231F93Dmd2I

This little project isn't over either. I've always felt like there was some potential in a wheel based sequencer but this has really impressed me. Of course you could just simulate all this in a VST without all the mess.

And I don't want to hear any "bitch you live like this" poo poo, I will clean my room when I'm good and ready I'm 60 years old.
Hell yeah I saw the video on YouTube this morning so I was just waiting to see your post.

Also that telecaster kicks rear end

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Hell yeah I saw the video on YouTube this morning so I was just waiting to see your post.

Also that telecaster kicks rear end

I just added a step-down gear that I just cobbled together. It reduces the speed of the wheels by Imma guess a 2:1 or 3:1 so I'm more at a comfortable RPM. I'm not pleased with any of the videos I've made of it so far, I just didn't want to ignore you any further. I'm hoping to have a better one at some point, but I'm just having too much fun fooling around with it. I'd like to make sort of a youtube video out of it but as of RN I'm just using youtube as a casual repository for them. Here's the step-down. I love cobbling poo poo together.

https://i.imgur.com/G9xQC3p.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: Wrong thread sorry I was excited

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 4, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread sorry I was excited

Wassup you can get me deals now

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

In my quest to fill out my board with diy pedals, I just finished a noise suppressor based on the ISP decimate g string.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Armacham posted:

In my quest to fill out my board with diy pedals, I just finished a noise suppressor based on the ISP decimate g string.

thought it was a 1 knob klone at first lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

thought it was a 1 knob klone at first lol

Yeah I had some extra Bojack stickers from the klone I built and this one seemed appropriate lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I made a couple of gifts for my dad.

Pedal PCB "Pharmacist" Aclam Dr. Robert clone

Also made him an LPad attenuator because he decided that a 30w tube amp was an appropriate choice for his tiny music room

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Armacham posted:

Also made him an LPad attenuator because he decided that a 30w tube amp was an appropriate choice for his tiny music room

Did you make this from a kit or your own design?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

DrChu posted:

Did you make this from a kit or your own design?

This one was all on my own. I just got a 100w 16 ohm LPad, a couple switches, a couple jacks, and a capacitor. I also slapped a heatsink on the LPad and drilled some ventilation holes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

shoutout to you for making your dad an actual attenuator instead of a pot in a box both of those pedals came out wicked nice

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

shoutout to you for making your dad an actual attenuator instead of a pot in a box both of those pedals came out wicked nice

Thank you kindly. I laugh that jhs charges $65 for just what you describe.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

New build day! I just finished this Fuzz rite clone. I'm still playing around with different transistor combinations. This can be run as a straight 2 NPN fuzzrite, or either one can be set up as a sziklai pair.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

New build day! I just finished this Fuzz rite clone. I'm still playing around with different transistor combinations. This can be run as a straight 2 NPN fuzzrite, or either one can be set up as a sziklai pair.

Sweet!

What would you recommend for a DIY kit to make something like a rat pedal? Stereo or just a couple of them, is what I'm thinking.

This isn't exactly DIY but I am getting a couple of these. Some of my Antediluvian synths don't have any indicator lights on them or meters or anything, so I'm going to velcro these to the fricking front panel.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also really leaning toward buying a more legit o scope, a USB model probably, seems the most affordable for any degree of quality.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

Sweet!

What would you recommend for a DIY kit to make something like a rat pedal? Stereo or just a couple of them, is what I'm thinking.

This isn't exactly DIY but I am getting a couple of these. Some of my Antediluvian synths don't have any indicator lights on them or meters or anything, so I'm going to velcro these to the fricking front panel.

If I was making a kit and I wanted it to be idiot proof I would go with the aionfx kit, if you are willing to spend the extra. Of all the kits that I've built, that one was the highest overall quality, with a breakout board for the power and input jacks as well as the 3pdt switch. I think their rat clone has a clipping selector so you can gently caress around with diodes. https://aionfx.com/project/helios-vintage-distortion/

The rat I made was from General Guitar Gadgets and didn't have as many upgrades and the PCB and enclosure weren't as nice. It still sounds dope though!

If you were building from scratch and definitely wanted stereo, I think the easiest would be to build something like the duecetone rat with two rats in one box. Just run them in parallel instead of in series.

Edit: I have an older version of that scope. It's not great. It occasionally locks up and has to be reset And I don't remember if it remembers settings. They may be have updated the software since I got mine.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 28, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

If I was making a kit and I wanted it to be idiot proof I would go with the aionfx kit, if you are willing to spend the extra. Of all the kits that I've built, that one was the highest overall quality, with a breakout board for the power and input jacks as well as the 3pdt switch. I think their rat clone has a clipping selector so you can gently caress around with diodes. https://aionfx.com/project/helios-vintage-distortion/

The rat I made was from General Guitar Gadgets and didn't have as many upgrades and the PCB and enclosure weren't as nice. It still sounds dope though!

If you were building from scratch and definitely wanted stereo, I think the easiest would be to build something like the duecetone rat with two rats in one box. Just run them in parallel instead of in series.

Edit: I have an older version of that scope. It's not great. It occasionally locks up and has to be reset And I don't remember if it remembers settings. They may be have updated the software since I got mine.

Well I'll be finding out how not great it is when it arrives this week. I think it's a really good add-on idea for a lot of these old wrecks I've got here.

Stayed up late yet again with the wheel thingy. I've set it up with a second Theremin, at least for the present. so it's capable of some pretty cool sequencing. Not accustomed to using something as basic as this MS-20 with it, it's been a lot of fun.

Today's DIY project includes putting up cat furniture in the studio. And finally making enough decent patch cables that I can set up my rack more the way I want it.

ED: regarding your homemade attenuator, I think that this will serve the same purpose, won't it:

RDL STP-1 Universal Audio Attenuator - 2 Channel

Used to be you could find some RDL stuff for a song on ebay now and then, not that that's of much interest to musicians that often, it's hardware for public address systems.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 29, 2023

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

petit choux posted:

Also really leaning toward buying a more legit o scope, a USB model probably, seems the most affordable for any degree of quality.

I have a couple of full size scopes but picked one of these up cheaply ($40-50) and haven't had any problems with it. Has a basic audio FFT mode which is slow to update, so not much use. http://www.zeeweii.com/productinfo/dso1511g.html

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
sort of low tech but kinda diy, i made a table mount for my sq 64 out of some cheap rear end guitar hangers. worked out perfectly imo, feels very stable and has padding

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Very clever! That definitely seems like it helps save some space.

So apparently BBD effects are the death of me. I have an analog delay and an analog flanger that aren't working. Both work fine in bypass, flanger gives no output, the delay gives a louder distorted output with no actual delays. I'm about to go through and reflow all the joints and then start checking voltages. Wish me luck!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I finished a few new pedals! I have become extremely lazy about doing enclosures at this point though, at least for pedals I'm making for myself.

From left to right: BJFE Honeybee OD, BJFE Germanium PNP booster, BJF Vibravibe Chorus/Vibrato, BYOC Parametric EQ

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

I finished a few new pedals! I have become extremely lazy about doing enclosures at this point though, at least for pedals I'm making for myself.

From left to right: BJFE Honeybee OD, BJFE Germanium PNP booster, BJF Vibravibe Chorus/Vibrato, BYOC Parametric EQ

These are all from kits, I assume. Do they also provide the IC sockets you're using?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yep, these ones are all provided. I usually prefer the machined ones with the round pins instead of these, but I ran out of my stockpile and used the ones in the kit.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Yep, these ones are all provided. I usually prefer the machined ones with the round pins instead of these, but I ran out of my stockpile and used the ones in the kit.

Yeah, that sure looks nice. Oh, those O scopes arrived, I just connected one to an audio output and here is a glimpse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unTFdZ29mGs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Yeah, that sure looks nice. Oh, those O scopes arrived, I just connected one to an audio output and here is a glimpse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unTFdZ29mGs

It is bananas that you can get something this useful for like $30. And for like $60-something you can get one with a freakin' spectral analyzer!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

withak posted:

It is bananas that you can get something this useful for like $30. And for like $60-something you can get one with a freakin' spectral analyzer!

Okay, well I think it performed decently all night. I've got a handful of really old synths that don't have much visual feedback and I've always wanted a couple of these for them, and now that I have the Behringer K-2 (which just went on sale at $200 ea, which is p good) I'm wanting one for that, and so that's what I did last night. The price went up steeply for a while on these but now we're down to under $30 fully assembled.

I bought two and RN I'm thinking I'm going to find the best way to mount them on the rack semi-permanently.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

What should I do with this extra cry baby board?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Put it in a regular pedal box with a pot and use it as a fixed filter for the "cocked wah" tone.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Just built myself a CEM3340 VCO on stripboard, with tri/saw/square out, PWM and linear FM input! It took some troubleshooting and a rebuild to get right, but it's done and it sounds *awesome* now. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

That is tight.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I really wanted to save the 4hp / have an all silver rack so i made this mount for the power module. its a project box from amazon that i cut a super lovely hole in and its velcro taped to the inside carpet of the rack. seems to hold well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I put a second pickup in my Kingpin to turn it into a Kingpin 2.

I hereby retire from doing any electronics on a hollow body that doesn't have some sort of access hole.