Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: oh sure bury the poor man's post, phy

knox_harrington posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAHH having decided to take the Fireblade and having a great trip over the Alps, now the loving thing won't start.

I hssa dead battery before but this is slightly different there is a bunch of clicking from under the seat and then the CEL comes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAHH having decided to take the Fireblade and having a great trip over the Alps, now the loving thing won't start.

I hssa dead battery before but this is slightly different there is a bunch of clicking from under the seat and then the CEL comes on.

Weak battery. Enough power to run the electronics, but as soon as there's a starter load, the start relay just chatters. You should be able to push start it in second gear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if that's the case, just bump start it. there ought to be enough power to run the injectors and ecu and such.

(put it in neutral with the ignition and killswitch on, push and run and get it rolling at about 15 mph, hop on, clutch in, kick up into second, pop the clutch out)

e: i saw your ninja edit :mad:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bump start it only to find it's gone flat again when you stop for a scenic photo at the top of the Alps

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well that's certainly better than stopping at the bottom of the Alps for bumping it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Good point I'll give bump starting it a go. Fortunately I'm on a massive hill so no pushing needed.

Gratuitous Lugano shot:

Guess I'll need to call around garages and see if one has the right battery. I'm here for a conference and need to get back up the hill in the afternoon for a sneaky interview. The worst time for this to happen.

Should I just disconnect the bike batteries completely over winter?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

knox_harrington posted:

Good point I'll give bump starting it a go. Fortunately I'm on a massive hill so no pushing needed.

Gratuitous Lugano shot:

Guess I'll need to call around garages and see if one has the right battery. I'm here for a conference and need to get back up the hill in the afternoon for a sneaky interview. The worst time for this to happen.

Disconnect or keep them on a tender.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Also can you please tell us what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Both bikes have been on a charger all winter.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Also can you please tell us what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps?

Lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

knox_harrington posted:

Both bikes have been on a charger all winter.

Lol

Then probably just a bad battery. Tender should keep them topped up.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Gratuitous Lugano shot:

Palm trees in the alps boggles my mind.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

Palm trees in the alps boggles my mind.

Lugano isn't really the Alps, more "Italian Lakes" though still in Switzerland, and Italian climate. It's between Lago Como (which is particularly nice and worth a visit) and Lago Maggiore.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

u p d a t e

I called the various Honda garages nearby with no luck getting a replacement battery in < 1 week. I decided to roll the dice with a little shop I bought an emergency rain jacket from in 2019: success! Delivery tomorrow/Friday and he even gave me a discount.

Yuasa batteries are not cheap

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
its dead dead? ie takes no charge from a battery charger also?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm a long way from home and don't have a charger, or even a proper parking space. And I need to go home on Sunday.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

Yuasa batteries are not cheap

They are not, but they ARE high quality, which sounds like its more important right now

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I needed a new battery a few years ago I hosed it up and bought a yuasa.

After hurting my back and not riding the last two years, I went to charge it and fried it.

:smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How did you fry a lead acid battery? They're really resistant to overcharging and whatnot

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Level 2 Automotive speed charger

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How did you fry a lead acid battery? They're really resistant to overcharging and whatnot

No they aren't they smell like rotten eggs and blow the gently caress up

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I set it on repair (noco genius 10) and admittedly forgot about it. I really should have just set it to smart charge and it would've shut off. When I went into my garage the next morning to go to work, the smell was appalling. It smelled like death to the point I thought something got into my garage and died so I was going to look around and saw my battery steaming on my workbench. It was a huge facepalm, "jesus christ that was insanely stupid" moment. I had to open my door and use all the fans for a day or two to make the smell go away. I thought it would smell like electronics burning, not organic decay.

I don't blame the charger, it was 100% my fault for forgetting about it. Its charged my car batteries very well.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 14, 2023

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just get an optimate charger next time. You literally cannot gently caress up a battery if it's getting tended by an optimate charger. Any of their range will do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

No they aren't they smell like rotten eggs and blow the gently caress up

Turn on your monitor?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess I must be a bit unfamiliar with lead acid failures then, I just keep mine on a tender and they’re ok

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I always kept mine on a tender but it must have stopped charging at some point. I think next time I'll take it out of the bike for extended periods of not riding.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My bike fell off the head stand at some point after I took the forks off... first time using that kind of stand, but it had the right size pin and it seated and locked down in place, so thought it would be good.

It didn't tip over thankfully, went straight down onto one of the exhaust headers and dented it a bit. I don't think anything else was damaged.

After I got a couple bottle jacks to just get it off the floor so it's not sitting on the headers, I've spent the past couple days trying to think of how to unfuck the situation. I don't have jacks long enough to get it back up enough to hoist it with any kind of head lift again, unless I jury rig some alternating jenga cinder blocks contraption. No roof joists in the garage I could use to hoist anything with. Maybe a foldable crane like the kind used for lifting engines? Also it has frame pegs, maybe I could take it off the rear stand and just lower it on one side slowly?

First picture is the best I took of it on the head lift, but maybe someone can tell if something didn't look right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean the original problem was that terrifying looking paddock stand, yikes

Anyway you're here now, I think an engine crane is probably your best bet, it'll be dicey but I've done it before and so can you. I wouldn't recommend attempting to use the crash bungs, the risk is really high. If you can get the fork legs in, which I can't tell if you can or not, then there's no reason you can't get two strong mates to just hold it up using the bars while you put the wheel in.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

Just get an optimate charger next time. You literally cannot gently caress up a battery if it's getting tended by an optimate charger. Any of their range will do.

My bikes have been on this optimate through the winter

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I mean the original problem was that terrifying looking paddock stand, yikes

Anyway you're here now, I think an engine crane is probably your best bet, it'll be dicey but I've done it before and so can you. I wouldn't recommend attempting to use the crash bungs, the risk is really high. If you can get the fork legs in, which I can't tell if you can or not, then there's no reason you can't get two strong mates to just hold it up using the bars while you put the wheel in.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a crane of some kind to at least get it up high enough to get the forks back in. Yeah there's no clearance right now especially with the jacks and blocks in the way.

Think I'll replace all my stands with Pitbull stands next, the rear has been OK with spools especially on my Ninja 400 which is so light, but it's not great quality.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got this guy for the OEM lithium battery in my new KX

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

My bikes have been on this optimate through the winter

eh something's off if your bike was on an optimate charger all winter. if it was connected properly and isn't ancient that battery should've survived the winter w/o issue

does Honda still have reg/rec issues on their sportbikes? thought that was a thing of the past

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was never a Honda issue, it has always been an every japanese bike issue. The vfr800 has an overly grunty stator which causes RR overheating, the internet turned this into every Honda. Every japanese bike has a cheap lovely RR, on the R1 it's mounted literally inside the ram air duct and that still doesn't stop them melting.

Sometimes batteries just poo poo themselves even if you do everything right, I would be pretty surprised if a bike that new had any kind of charging issue but I guess it's worth checking.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My bike fell off the head stand at some point after I took the forks off... first time using that kind of stand, but it had the right size pin and it seated and locked down in place, so thought it would be good.

It didn't tip over thankfully, went straight down onto one of the exhaust headers and dented it a bit. I don't think anything else was damaged.

After I got a couple bottle jacks to just get it off the floor so it's not sitting on the headers, I've spent the past couple days trying to think of how to unfuck the situation. I don't have jacks long enough to get it back up enough to hoist it with any kind of head lift again, unless I jury rig some alternating jenga cinder blocks contraption. No roof joists in the garage I could use to hoist anything with. Maybe a foldable crane like the kind used for lifting engines? Also it has frame pegs, maybe I could take it off the rear stand and just lower it on one side slowly?

First picture is the best I took of it on the head lift, but maybe someone can tell if something didn't look right.

You've got me nervous now because that looks an awful lot like the cheap Amazon special front stand I have. I've used it on the 919 and Zero, both for several days and a week+ without issue. It feels stable enough to me but who knows.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

That one looks like it has a lot more clearance under the front than what I have, and is locked down more in place, maybe mine just isn't supposed to be used with my bike. Hard to see in the first picture I posted but the bar with the pin at the end is up against the front underside on my bike and there's nothing else I could take off to get better clearance. Mine also didn't lock back at the angle yours does, so maybe it was never all the way engaged...

Orderd a Pitbull head lift that should be here in a couple days, I'll try to find a way to get it up on that once it's in.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I put my bike on the new pit stand for some chain lubing and promptly sliced my palm open on a sharp cornered metallic surfaced foam sticker some idiot put on said stand. Lots of blood, hard place to tape up. This made me mad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a crane of some kind to at least get it up high enough to get the forks back in. Yeah there's no clearance right now especially with the jacks and blocks in the way.

Think I'll replace all my stands with Pitbull stands next, the rear has been OK with spools especially on my Ninja 400 which is so light, but it's not great quality.

What does your garage roof look like? When I had both wheels off, each end of the bike was ratchet strapped to the steel roof joists (with most of the weight going through the centre stand) but obviously that's only an option if the inside structure of your roof is exposed

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

New battery, showing 12.4V on the bike's internal meter. It started right up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

What does your garage roof look like? When I had both wheels off, each end of the bike was ratchet strapped to the steel roof joists (with most of the weight going through the centre stand) but obviously that's only an option if the inside structure of your roof is exposed
Yeah roof is closed off unfortunately so limited options for lifting it up. I think I have A Plan now though, once the new head lift stand comes in, I think I figured out a way to jack it up high enough to get it on the stand, assuming this one actually works with my bike.

That was totally the problem, the stand I was using didn't fit under the front of the bike well enough to lock in place so it was kinda sitting on the bar rather than swiveling down to fully lock in. I should have caught that. I have turned this into an expensive fork seal replacement

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

New battery, showing 12.4V on the bike's internal meter. It started right up.

They made the battery on the new model absurdly small didn't they

12.4 is uuuh not brilliant for a brand new one tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wouldn't trust the bike's internal meter either though. Test it with a multimeter in all the different circumstances (out of circuit, in circuit bike off, bike on headlight off, headlight on, while starting, engine running at idle, engine running at 5000 RPM) to get a good idea of how it's actually performing.

Or just ride it because it's a brand new AGM battery and it's fine.