Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Ever since the 2011 Kitana ladder ending where she forms an inter-Outworld troubleshooting team with Mileena and Jade I've kind of wanted a Mileena face turn. The closest we've gotten to that of course is her unlockable Fatality in 11 but it's somebody else's face.

I do think they introduced an interesting dynamic in the last game that will translate well into the new continuity. They made it so that Kitana feels like an outsider. Her parents resent her, her ending showed that the Edenians wouldn't accept her, and she can only confide in one friend and a guy she's into. Meanwhile, outside of the throne, Mileena only seems to want Kitana's love and it pisses her off that her sister rejects her. So you have these two lonely characters who hate each other and Liu Kang's trying to figure out a scenario where things work out between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of people disliked MK11 turning Sindel evil from the start but I thought it worked a whole lot better with Kitana's new arc.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Ah, thank you. I have a hard time keeping track of all this AAA game industry bullshit, I guess.

Right there with you. This is what getting old feels like I think.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of people disliked MK11 turning Sindel evil from the start but I thought it worked a whole lot better with Kitana's new arc.

To be fair, it did give the character more agency and all instead of being a woman used and abused by an evil barbarian (And sorcerer. And other sorcerer. And elder god. And revenant king.) But it did kinda suck to have a good character's backstory retconned into them being a purely evil character as the trade-off for that.

Also I guess based on what we're seeing here, Kitana becoming a god alongside Liu Kang to help remake the universe ended up not being canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having an evil power couple is always fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It was fun to watch Shao and Sindel maniacally beating down everyone in Aftermath, just totally living for each other. Relationship goals, honestly.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I'd need to sit down and do some searching to find the receipts, but my impression is that Netherrealm's been hit with the same problems as every other company under the WB umbrella, due to ongoing fallout from the company's financial issues.

They more or less said outright that IJ3 was supposed to be their next project after MK11. Then MK11 reportedly became the best-selling game in the series to date (15 million+ as of April 2022, vs. 12 million+ for MKX by April 2019), whereas all the sales data I can find for IJ2 suggests it sold well, but not overwhelmingly so.

Since WB has spent most of the last three years strapped for cash, they seem to have pushed Netherrealm to immediately start work on MK12, despite all the stories about crunch and PTSD that came out of MK11's development process.

If MK1 has issues, I'd imagine that it's going to be in ways that you can trace back to that. It'll have a feel like SFV season one, where it's the product of designers who didn't really want to be there and had no real stake in its creation.

My theory (which I'm sure Ed would never confirm) is that IJ3 was greenlit before MK11 went gold, in the same way whatever they're working on next has been greenlit, and would have been greenlit before all of the news about WB's failing financials. They got about a year into pre-production when MultiVersus gets greenlit, and some WB exec thinks, "Well, this is going to be our big DC fighting game, why are we going to have two coming out at the same time?" and then IJ3 gets cancelled. So when NRS asks what do they do now, WB shrugs and says make MK12.

So now you have a year's worth of work almost all but trashed (the tag mechanic and air combos feel more like IJ than MK), you have to write a script for the single player, cast voices, determine DLC and it's theme and the leaked DLC having Evil Supermen feels more like an IJ choice than a MK one, and it explains why there was the gap between MKs: they had to start from almost scratch.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

It was fun to watch Shao and Sindel maniacally beating down everyone in Aftermath, just totally living for each other. Relationship goals, honestly.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there was a pretty late conversation around the merger where wb/dc said they didn't want nrs working with other franchises they potentially might now have ownership over in the future iirc

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I think them genuinely actually loving each other was a fun wrinkle that removed a lot of the more, uh, unseemly implications. Not that MK occasionally can't handle mature content (apart from horror), but even implied sexual abuse is still something you'd want to shy away from as a game studio making a fighting game, I suppose.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also it's a metric ton of silly arcana for an audience to learn. Keeping the dynamics as rock simple as possible and focusing on likability over complexity is the right call.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ketchup and Mustard put out a 15 minute gameplay video where they go over a bunch of the new stuff and changes. Kameo stuff actually seems like it could be interesting? Also, there's now an upward block to stop jumping attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqK5YYriJs

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

C. Everett Koop posted:

My theory (which I'm sure Ed would never confirm) is that IJ3 was greenlit before MK11 went gold, in the same way whatever they're working on next has been greenlit, and would have been greenlit before all of the news about WB's failing financials. They got about a year into pre-production when MultiVersus gets greenlit, and some WB exec thinks, "Well, this is going to be our big DC fighting game, why are we going to have two coming out at the same time?" and then IJ3 gets cancelled. So when NRS asks what do they do now, WB shrugs and says make MK12.

So now you have a year's worth of work almost all but trashed (the tag mechanic and air combos feel more like IJ than MK), you have to write a script for the single player, cast voices, determine DLC and it's theme and the leaked DLC having Evil Supermen feels more like an IJ choice than a MK one, and it explains why there was the gap between MKs: they had to start from almost scratch.

He mentioned in a Jeff Gerstmann interview that it was going to be Injustice before they committed to doing an engine update from 3 to 4 (Jeff claims it's to 5, Ed doesn't correct him, and other interviews seem to contradict it.) Covid hit and it wound up taking longer than usual and they didn't want a massive gap between MKs. My own presumption was that it made more sense to modify the bones of MK11 than IJ2 to get something new out the door, though it could also be that it was never the plan to have IJ3 so soon with Multiversus coming out.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

EorayMel posted:

Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub Zero 2 when?????????????

I asked him this once, he said I'm the only one who actually liked this game.

:(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A bunch of leakers/accounts have been spitting out the same preliminary list of like 90% of the roster, spoilering for now but this might be most of them:

Havik
Reiko
Nitara
Li Mei
Ashrah
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Smoke
Reptile
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Mileena
Tanya
Sindel
Johnny Cage
Kenshi

Somehow a lot of people are excited about Ashrah potentially in which boggles my mind, cannot think of a more "who cares" character from the 3D era. Same with Reiko who is probably on Sareena levels of people being obsessed with seeing him return throughout the years.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Nice, nice. Now add the mk2 and 3 cast, remove everyone who wasn't in those, and we're set.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
These motherfuckers are allergic to cyrax and sektor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't see Jade nooooo. Well I'm all right maining Tanya as long as she remains exactly as broken as she did upon release.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DLC Inc posted:

A bunch of leakers/accounts have been spitting out the same preliminary list of like 90% of the roster, spoilering for now but this might be most of them:

Havik
Reiko
Nitara
Li Mei
Ashrah
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Smoke
Reptile
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Mileena
Tanya
Sindel
Johnny Cage
Kenshi

Somehow a lot of people are excited about Ashrah potentially in which boggles my mind, cannot think of a more "who cares" character from the 3D era. Same with Reiko who is probably on Sareena levels of people being obsessed with seeing him return throughout the years.

This roster is like designed to make me happy lol Nitara, Li Mei, Ashrah, Havik were some of my favorite 3D era characters. I liked Ashrah's spin pop up combos, Nitara's blood sucking move, Havik was just goofy, and Ii mei's movesets owned. That combined with my favorite extra ninja characters (smoke & reptile) and my other favs makes this a pretty sick roster. Honestly throughout the entire 3D era I've loved to play: Kung Lao, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Kenshi, Smoke, Li Mei, Ashrah, Nitara, Havik, Kitana, & Mileena. Thats a good chunk of MK1s roster so I'm sitting pretty.

Given these numbers there are still like 6 characters left too!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

DLC Inc posted:

Havik
Reiko
Nitara
Li Mei
Ashrah
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Smoke
Reptile
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Mileena
Tanya
Sindel
Johnny Cage
Kenshi

I never understood the thing people have for Reiko at all, but I guess he's marginally more interesting for his "is he Shao Kahn" thing in a timeline reboot where Shao Kahn hasn't been established. In my mind he's still just the reason we didn't get noob saibot in MK4

Also Smoke had better hit the core roster and he'd better be a beautiful anime man again like in MK9

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I don't see Jade nooooo. Well I'm all right maining Tanya as long as she remains exactly as broken as she did upon release.

I was vaguely shocked to hear from one of the intros in MK11 - Kano, maybe - that Mileena and Tanya were a thing so maybe they'll follow that up and MK can finally be dubbed woke.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think that was a thing since at least MKX. And Mileena's MK11 story ending lmao.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nearly all of new characters from MKDA and Deception were dire, but this would be an excellent opportunity to retool them and give them a second chance. It's a little more intetesting than just the same roster as before.

God, remember the cool art and backstory released for Drahmin before MKDA came out? And then... he was just a stinky man with a club hand. What a waste.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

If that list is true, I'm happy. Surprisingly strong 3D era rep.

UP AND ADAM posted:

These motherfuckers are allergic to cyrax and sektor

Still baffled that you could fight them both in MK11 story mode, but not play as them.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, I'm happy

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Nearly all of new characters from MKDA and Deception were dire, but this would be an excellent opportunity to retool them and give them a second chance. It's a little more intetesting than just the same roster as before.

God, remember the cool art and backstory released for Drahmin before MKDA came out? And then... he was just a stinky man with a club hand. What a waste.

Agreed, I'm not super excited about the 3d era characters but NRS has shown they're able to redesign characters pretty competently since MK9 so maybe they'll surprise us. I'd rather they take a shot with some of them instead of having to jam Sonya/Jax/Kano into the roster and storyline for the fourth game in a row

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
No Jade? Get outta here with that. I do like the deep bench picks though. Just for the novelty.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Bring back Shujinko.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Okay, I'm happy

I recently brought a MK9 smoke cosplay to a couple conventions and I learned that smoke fans lose their minds when people remember he exists so I hope for the sake of their happiness this leak is true

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

No Jade? Get outta here with that. I do like the deep bench picks though. Just for the novelty.

I think there's a good chance she'll be a kameo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

davidspackage posted:

It looks like they've dialed in who the actual good 3D era characters are: Bo Rai Cho, Frost, Kenshi, Nitara, Ashrah, Li Mei, Havik. Obviously the first 3 are definitely the strongest (and theyve been in more games) but the latter 4 getting some run now is great. The only other one I think is a little worth it would be Mavado.

Darrius, Hotaru, Kira, Kobra, Drahmin, Dairou (why so many D names?!), & Hsu Hao are all trash

I guess Mk4 technically is 3D era (though I think of it as "arcade era" IMO) and arguably ermac came into his own in the 3d Era. If we included Mk4 you add Quan Chi , Fujin, Shinnok and Tanya to the list, they are all great to decent as well. Reiko, Jarek, and Kai go on the trash pile.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 13, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Buschmaki posted:

Bring back Shujinko.

He is still getting the poo poo beaten out of him for helping Onaga. Still.

All the 3D era characters I liked and wouldn't mind seeing back, I liked for very superficial reasons.
Frost - cool ice hair, hothead/ice powers combo
Ashrah - cool hat and sword, plus she's a demon in disguise (then her storyline was super boring)
Kobra - super brazen Ken clone, that's it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

davidspackage posted:

All the 3D era characters I liked and wouldn't mind seeing back, I liked for very superficial reasons.
Frost - cool ice hair, hothead/ice powers combo
Ashrah - cool hat and sword, plus she's a demon in disguise (then her storyline was super boring)
Kobra - super brazen Ken clone, that's it.

get William Zabka to lend his voice and likeness to a Kobra kameo and I'll shell out 10 bucks for it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I have soft spots for Kenshi and Havik. Frost was alright. Mostly I just like that they made her a terrible person. Making her all in on the cyber-initiative in MK11 made perfect sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I love that Cassie Cage's arcade ending in MKX was just going to Outworld to beat the poo poo out of Shujinko for like no reason.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

I think there's a good chance she'll be a kameo.

This is not good enough. Literal unplayable trash fix your game Edward.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

exquisite tea posted:

I love that Cassie Cage's arcade ending in MKX was just going to Outworld to beat the poo poo out of Shujinko for like no reason.

It was absolutely Corrupted Raiden tying up loose ends from his time travel visions. Dead Shujinko = less chance of Onaga coming back.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Bring back Drahmin, cowards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The meme of that pregnant white lady with the stupid baby names except it's Taven, Daegon, Drahmin etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can accept any weirdass roster combination as long as loving Sareena is forever gated out.

Tremor should have an encore appearance. Sort of glad Kotal Kahn won't be back, dude looked like the biggest loser in 2 straight games, though I think a Kameo for D'Vorah or Ferra/Torr would be nice.