Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easy way to force framegen in games? My 4070 runs D4 at 4K120 just fine but I wouldn't mind seeing if I can keep my room cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't RTXGI a probe-based GI method? What are the big changes in RTXGI 2.0? Currently, RT Overdrive uses RTXDI and ReSTIR GI, which are quite a bit higher fidelity than RTXGI. The speculation I've seen is that they'll add Nvidia's Neural Radiance Caching.

RTXGI 1.0 was the dynamic probe method, RTXGI 2.0 is how they're branding the neural radiance cache

overdrive currently computes two full GI bounces per frame, if they did one bounce with RTXDI then terminated into the RTXGI cache then maybe it could perform better

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's being shown at the xbox event rn btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voSxT2A4xvs

captured on an xsx for now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kliras posted:

the expansion also sounds like it might be a bit of a rework of the whole thing

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1668338194591649792

I hope so, it's always needed it to just be the initially promised product

I think it would be fine to make hardware RT a requirement considering this will be coming out in 2024. Even with all of the recent pricing fuckery, I think we're coming to a point where you can realistically get away with making hardware RT a requirement.

Nah, that would be a poor move. Way too soon, Pascal is way too popular. A year isn't close to enough time.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 13, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I feel like the game dev world is really struggling to make use of current gen hardware. Most of these new games are doing so much computational work and not looking particularly good for it. Feels like art direction has disappeared, I'm not sure quite what to call it but it's like the new version of the 2002-2008 era "everything is muddy and dark and looks like poo poo" syndrome. Many devs vainly chasing the same not particularly exciting visual target.

I don’t know if it’s so much that they’re struggling to make use of the hardware as it’s that Sony and Microsoft, and also AMD and Nvidia, have put themselves in a marketing war over 4K and 8K and raytracing and high frame rates that developers are having to target things that the hardware they’re developing for can’t actually do. PS4 Pro, PS5, XboneX, and XBSX have all been billed as 4K gaming systems when they aren’t. They’re 1080p-1440p (sometimes) machines that use reconstruction to get up to the advertised resolution. If they don’t say it runs at 4K then it’s perceived that the machine or game developer is “lesser” than the competition.

If the console and GPU makers were more honest with system capabilities, developers probably wouldn’t need to implement janky poo poo to technically hit a target and end up loving up other aspects. We can talk about direct storage and custom variants of the APUs in the consoles, but at the end of the day both current gen consoles are using a Zen 2 CPU on par with a mobile Ryzen 3700 with an RDNA2 GPU that sits between an RX 6600 and an RX 6700 XT. Good GPUs, admittedly, but their capabilities are being exaggerated by all parties.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 13, 2023

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Even with all of the recent pricing fuckery, I think we're coming to a point where you can realistically get away with making hardware RT a requirement.

Aren't the GeForce 10 series still the most common GPUs, at least according to Steam surveys?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Aren't the GeForce 10 series still the most common GPUs, at least according to Steam surveys?

Yes, they are. The 1060 in particular if memory serves.

Edit: memory does not serve.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 13, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Top 10 GPUs in the hardware survey for May 2023:

Number 11 is also a 10-series, the 1660 Ti.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Number 11 is also a 10-series, the 1660 Ti.

:thunk:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's closer to a 10-series than anything after the 10s on account of not being an RTX, imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Farecoal posted:

Yes, but the market for new AAA games isn't the entire steam userbase. Tens of millions of users on Steam have RT-capable cards now. They're at 40 million or more at this point, not counting the 3050 GPUs, and that number will only grow over the next year.

edit: If you add together sales data from JPR, it seems plausible that many more RTX GPUs than this were sold, but it could be a lot of them are mining GPUs or ex-mining GPUs waiting to be sold. Or have been repurposed for AI or whatever. 40 million is based on the steam hardware survey percentages multiplied by the 120 million monthly users number I got from a quick google search. That number is 2 or 3 years old though and steam seems to have grown since then.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 13, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

don't forget the large market of people who buy modern AAA games and run them at 720p 80% scale low details 28 fps on a GT 1030 Intel integrated

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 13, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wasn't there a discussion a while back about the Steam survey being misleading? Lots of PC cafes and such. It may be the lowest common denominator but it's like saying McDonalds is the most popular hamburger so we shouldn't strive for anything better (this is a bad analogy but I can't come up with anything better at the moment).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

depending on the project there is probably a limit to how low you can go but customers with nine year old GPUs are paying just as much for a game as a customer with a $4k pc. cutting out the former market is as much of a cost-benefit analysis as catering to the latter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It's closer to a 10-series than anything after the 10s on account of not being an RTX, imo.

Now that DLSS is all over the place the case for the 2060 is better however 2060 being renamed a 2060 ti and the 1660ti being a 2060 and slotting the 1650 and vanilla 1660 in as 2050 variants wouldn’t be unfair.

edit: this would create a 2060sti :rice:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 13, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Wasn't there a discussion a while back about the Steam survey being misleading? Lots of PC cafes and such. It may be the lowest common denominator but it's like saying McDonalds is the most popular hamburger so we shouldn't strive for anything better (this is a bad analogy but I can't come up with anything better at the moment).

pc cafes will have better than average gpus if anything, because it's their business to host games/lans etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I do like Cyberpunks recommended hardware including many things that weren't released yet when the base game came out.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a little skewed including hand-me-downs that aren't playing games at all anymore, etc. But probably not skewed terribly much. We tend to socialize more with people in our disposable income brackets so it's probably not a shock that what this thread perceives as "average" isn't really so.

I think it'll be a while before RT becomes a strict requirement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New UE5 game demo just dropped: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1977170/Jusant/

It's Don't Nod's new cartoony climbing game. It seems to use most of the UE5 bells and whistles, and it shows that good lighting isn't just about photorealism. It's a very pretty game, and all the bounce lighting and high-quality shadows really add to the aesthetic in my opinion.

The climbing is pretty fun too. It starts out relatively simple, but they start adding in trickier jumps and rope swinging mechanics and such as the demo progresses.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 14, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
One thing to remember is that in a technical sense, "RT capable gamers" also includes everyone with a PS5 or a Series S/X, it's not just the PC market that matters in terms of studios choosing whether RT is a feature worth building into their games.

There is, again, quite a twisted web of support on features in general. Consoles don't have tensor, but they do have their own TAAU upscalers in many cases, but microsoft also benefits from targeting Windows as broadly as possible to maximize Gamepass revenue. And on RT consoles do have support, and RDNA2 has RT support at least as good as consoles (RDNA3 is better) but then you have popular legacy cards like RX 470/480 and RX 570/580, GTX 970/980 Ti, GTX 1060/1070/1080 Ti, GTX 1650, etc that don't.

It depends on whether your title is gonna be cross-gen, at that point you still have to deliver a minimum experience, but on the other hand studios aren't exactly going to dumb down their release for the guy who won't upgrade his GTX 970 either. Remember, 9-series is popular too and has completely poo poo support for DX12/Vulkan stuff in general, and even Pascal really shits the bed if you use the more advanced DX12 Ultimate stuff around async compute or resource binding etc. Studios aren't holding back their DX12 releases or DirectStorage implementations just cause you won't upgrade your 970, and if your 1080 runs it like poo poo, or needs weird settings that compromise graphical integrity... it runs it, what more do you really want from a card going into its 8th year of service? The expectation that cards need to endure for 10+ years with no compromise in features involved and that studios need to slow-roll their poo poo to make sure that happens is unrealistic and bizarre and entitled. Older cards are gonna be poo poo at some point, we're not gonna do 1060/480 being 1080p spec forever.

Turing is really a much better architecture in general even in the GTX variants. Pascal was Super Maxwell and DX12 still never worked amazing, Turing brings huge increases in register file and L1/L2 per-core and much better resource binding and async compute support. This is why the idea of 16-series of "basically 10-series" is bizarre, it's not at all true, actually 16-series is Volta-descended and that's a much bigger deal than it seems on the surface even without the RTX support.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is why the idea of 16-series of "basically 10-series" is bizarre, it's not at all true, actually 16-series is Volta-descended and that's a much bigger deal than it seems on the surface even without the RTX support.

this is nvidia's fault. they hyped up RT a ton, then released GPUs without RT

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

. Even with all of the recent pricing fuckery, I think we're coming to a point where you can realistically get away with making hardware RT a requirement.

it's not quite mandating RT hardware but the avatar game is going to have RT reflections and RTGI always on, with a compute RT fallback for cards that don't support DXR

curious to see how well that scales down with the fallback

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can't see RT becoming mandated for PC ports given how consoles can't handle it anyway

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

I can't see RT becoming mandated for PC ports given how consoles can't handle it anyway

except we're talking about games that have RT always enabled on consoles, so clearly they can handle it and some developers are moving in that direction.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

metro exodus enhanced already showed it can be done, if the developer plays their cards right

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of Sony first party games have RT Performance modes that are meant to run 1440p60 with lower general graphics settings. Hell Ratchet and Clank has a 40fps mode for 120hz TVs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

any mention of RT in Starfield?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nope, apparently one of the developers listed "RTX integration" on their linkedin but that could just mean DLSS integration

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Todd said that it will have "real-time global illumination" but he didn't specify in what form. Bethesda was hiring graphics engineers with experience with ray tracing a year or two ago though.

edit: It was the linkedin thing repiv posted, not a job listing. GI seems to be one of the RT features developers are eying up the most. Jedi Survivor has it in both of its graphics modes, and Ubisoft's games on Snowdrop engine will all be using some form of ray-traced GI going forward, it looks like. (at least, the first two announced next-gen snowdrop games do). So it would make sense if bethesda wants to do this too, and it would probably be the best way to get good lighting in procedurally generated worlds.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 14, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn’t realize Starfield would have procedural worlds

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I didn’t realize Starfield would have procedural worlds
up to 1000 planets of killable consequenceless space raiders that nobody cares or knows exist is just replicating their wild success in doing the same thing in fallout 4 and entertaining people that way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

up to 1000 planets of killable consequenceless space raiders that nobody cares or knows exist is just replicating their wild success in doing the same thing in fallout 4 and entertaining people that way

Skyrim has radiant quests too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Skyrim has radiant quests too.

Yeah but Skyrim has actual stuff. Fallout 4 has a lot of places that are JUST for radiant quests and I don't mean dungeons, I mean most settlements too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skyrim does too, the trick is just way more obvious with Fallout 4.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The main issue I had with Fallout 4 was the lovely dialogue system so if they've fixed that with Starfield, that'll be an improvement

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

any mention of RT in Starfield?

The recommended system requirements have a 6800XT for AMD, and an RTX2080 for NVIDIA, which gives the impression that they have RT enabled because the 6800XT is like 80% faster without RT but similar to a 2080 in heavier RT games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just wanted to make sure I'm doing things correctly with RSR.

For RSR to work the game needs to be full screen exclusive mode and the game resolution set to something under the native desktop resolution right?

I was going to try it with D4 on the ROG Ally but it doesn't seem like D4 does full screen exclusive mode.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

I just wanted to make sure I'm doing things correctly with RSR.

For RSR to work the game needs to be full screen exclusive mode and the game resolution set to something under the native desktop resolution right?

correct

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exclusive fullscreen no longer exists as of DX12 so one would hope there's some way to get RSR working with borderless windowed games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks!

repiv posted:

exclusive fullscreen no longer exists as of DX12 so one would hope there's some way to get RSR working with borderless windowed games

OK that makes a lot of sense.

I really just wanted to do some A/B testing on the 7 inch screen. D4 has FSR and already runs at 60+ at 1080p on the Ally so I'll try and find another game to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know that NVidia's NIS can put up like a small indicator in the corner of the screen to tell you if it's working. I don't know if RSR has anything like that but it might be worth checking.