Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Med sjokolade tvinger vi russeren i kne: https://www.dagbladet.no/meninger/et-stykke-norge-i-spill/79511599

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1667299392091480071

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I Vridsløselille i dag

Jeg har en plan.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have an interview for an academic position coming up at a Norwegian institution. I know things are typically a bit more casual at work here than in other countries, but I assume a suit and tie is still appropriate for men?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

big scary monsters posted:

I have an interview for an academic position coming up at a Norwegian institution. I know things are typically a bit more casual at work here than in other countries, but I assume a suit and tie is still appropriate for men?

Tie seems a bit much, maybe? What kind of position? If it's higher administrative maybe.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Suit/blazer should be fine. Drop the tie.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Midlevel research position. When I was in the UK I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but my partner also reckons it might be a bit much here. Maybe no tie?

e:

Mordekai posted:

Suit/blazer should be fine. Drop the tie.
Seems a reasonable compromise, especially if it's as warm as it has been.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blazer/sport coat over OCBD or similar, a nice pair of dark jeans, simple sneakers (not running shoes or flashy sneakerhead stuff) or boat shoes, that should do it.

If it's really warm, skip the blazer.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
No clothes, only tie.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Just make sure what you wear is whole and clean, then you’ll be fine. Unless you like to wear suits to work I wouldn’t wear it to the interview.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, if you show up in a tie, that's gonna count against you because you look like a dork. Unless the rest of your look is Avril Lavigne I guess. I got my former job at the Danish Ministry of Finance/Agency of modernization, which is a pretty uptight place in terms of dress, wearing dirty sneakers, bad fitting jeans and a crumpled button down shirt that I covered up with a sweater in June. Depending on the field, I'd recommend against dress shoes, maybe even arrive with your hiking windbreaker or something so you look like a person.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I already feel like going to an interview open necked is daringly casual, I don't think I can bring myself to wear jeans. It's probably my ingrained British training in idiotic tradition, but I honestly feel it's easier knowing every person interviewing will be wearing a boring navy or charcoal suit with a white shirt and tie so you don't even have to think about what to wear. The head of the interview committee is also British so I hope being a little more formal will not be judged too harshly.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pip pip cheerio, we helped you hang that Quisling fellow, what an awful, torrid business that was, hm old chap? I say, we should get along just smashing!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, quite. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

I already feel like going to an interview open necked is daringly casual, I don't think I can bring myself to wear jeans. It's probably my ingrained British training in idiotic tradition, but I honestly feel it's easier knowing every person interviewing will be wearing a boring navy or charcoal suit with a white shirt and tie so you don't even have to think about what to wear. The head of the interview committee is also British so I hope being a little more formal will not be judged too harshly.
The first job I got in scandinavia I showed up to the interview in a suit and tie that was about 4 levels of dressed up above expectations. If you really want to dress up wear a sport coat and chinos or neat jeans.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
In Denmark, a pale blue dress shirt is common, versus a white shirt.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i will typically wear a clean and not-too-rumpled flannel shirt, ordinary city shoes, jeans and a standard jacket of some kind for job interviews. if you're very senior or in certain professions it will become an issue, but literally no research position in norway is going to expect you to show up in a suit, much less with a tie

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one of the things you get in return for having no regulated working hours is the right to show up to work unshaven, unshowered, and wild-eyed in slept-in clothes every once in a while

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My typical attire when I'm actually at work is either jeans and a t-shirt or a survival suit, but it's a bit warm for the survival suit at the moment.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A dress shirt, neat pants (nice jeans or chinos) and a blazer. That way you can quickly adjust - drop the blazer if everyone is more casual, roll up your sleave if the place is really casual. That’s how I approach it since I go to everything from workshops and stables to fancy business officed for work. Skipping the tie will almost never be too casual in Scandinavia, while wearing it is more likely to make you look like a fop unless you can really make it work for you and look natural with your style, which is hard if you’re like, under 50.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not even the top brass at my workplace wear ties. Suits yes, but no ties.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I wear ties to court, that's about it for work stuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
if a workplace wanted me to wear something more high class than jeans and tshirt, I'd tell them to gently caress off and get another job.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Is no one here wearing shorts?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In Luleå, it's shorts weather for about 36 hours in July.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I'm wearing shorts right now! :sun:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

THE BAR posted:

Jorts, baby!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Since we're on the topic, what would y'all recommend for a woman to wear to an interview in these parts? I'll typically go for a fairly nice dress and whatever shoes I can find that go well with it, but I think I've been overdressed at my interviews leading up to my current job and before that was pre-transition so I just dressed like a dude.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Sadly it can be problematic during lab work.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Not even the top brass at my workplace wear ties. Suits yes, but no ties.

A couple of people do but they're weird

If I came in with a dress shirt and tie, management would be terrified I was leaving

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Woebin posted:

Since we're on the topic, what would y'all recommend for a woman to wear to an interview in these parts? I'll typically go for a fairly nice dress and whatever shoes I can find that go well with it, but I think I've been overdressed at my interviews leading up to my current job and before that was pre-transition so I just dressed like a dude.
Socks is overdressed in Swedish IT.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

"The tie represents a dog leash."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ties are for weddings, funerals and maybe if you get invited to the Nobel dinner.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ties are only for autoerotic asphyxiation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Collateral Damage posted:

Ties are for weddings, funerals and maybe if you get invited to the Nobel dinner.

I didn't wear a tie to my own wedding, not about to wear one to someone else's.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, your advice was all good, I was overdressed. I think it went alright anyway though, we had a nice chat and the position & people seem cool.

Woebin posted:

The women on the committee were definitely a step more formal than the men, business casual rather than casual causal. Smart blouse and dark slacks sort of thing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I've been to two weddings and two funerals and I've never worn a tie in my life.
To one of the funerals I didn't even wear a suit, just a black shirt.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zudgemud posted:

Sadly it can be problematic during lab work.

It's a bit harder doing horseplay with your lab in suit and tie, but if needs must.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Groda posted:

Socks is overdressed in Swedish IT.

It depends if you are wearing sandals or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

THE BAR posted:

It's loving 27C outside, *everyone* at the office is in summer mode.