Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I’ve had my steel, yellow ramps since I turned 16 (30 years ago). They seem fine no real corrosion at all except in the scratches and I keep them outside last few years

Hah, I feel that. I've had my red... something "Kar" - logo has a kangaroo - ramps since I worked at (and bought from) a TG&Y in high school. In 1987.

edit: page snipe. Added contextual quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Hah, I feel that. I've had my red... something "Kar" - logo has a kangaroo - ramps since I worked at (and bought from) a TG&Y in high school. In 1987.

edit: page snipe. Added contextual quote.

I know those red ramps I do t think they were sold local to me back then. I’ve seen the red ones with that kind of name many times years later

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Quickjacks are still saving my rear end on all these cars with plastic under trays and no "allowed" jacking points except the small areas on the sills. The room to work under the cars is very nice to have as well.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've forgotten how frustrating it can be to weld on old cars. Few pin holes left to fill, but after lying on the concrete (at least I got a rug) all day everything hurts. Still got another 15 cm to fit new material for.

Welding on a rug is an extreme fire hazard, especially when the rug gets impregnated with oil, fuel and metal dust. Please don't burn yourself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wrenching on these is quite nice, belts were 1994 originals. White letters out, ez $$.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought Honda D/F series timing belts were easy, drat. So much room, no water pump to deal with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SEKCobra posted:

Welding on a rug is an extreme fire hazard, especially when the rug gets impregnated with oil, fuel and metal dust. Please don't burn yourself.

I went out and took my small propane burner and aimed it at the rug and it just melted, didn't catch fire. I get I could get it to if I kept at it, but this carpet has taken a lot of sparks and is free from oil spills.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I went out and took my small propane burner and aimed it at the rug and it just melted, didn't catch fire. I get I could get it to if I kept at it, but this carpet has taken a lot of sparks and is free from oil spills.

I usually just use cardboard when i have to work outside, so a rug seems much safer; those are designed to be flame retardant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Quickjacks are still saving my rear end on all these cars with plastic under trays and no "allowed" jacking points except the small areas on the sills. The room to work under the cars is very nice to have as well.

I'd like a set of those, but if I clear out enough of the damned garage, I'm installing a MaxJax portable 4' two-post lift. Almost as expensive as a full-sized lift, but I don't have the ceiling height for a big one. Yet. I *will* have a lift. I'm too old to crawl around on the ground any more.

fake edit: JESUS CHRIST these things got expensive. Literally jumped $1300 since the last time I checked prices.

real edit: 5K QuickJack is only $1700 all-in for reference. Guess I'll get one of those in the interim. They're only real downside is driveline work, since they block the sides of the car.
Bendpak version also managed to inflate $1000 since I last checked. I'm assuming China + Supply Chain Issues?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Been working on a nearly free mouse infested slightly abandoned 2010 Corolla for a friend, it hasn't been started since 2018, and wasn't starting for us. Tested for fuel pressure and it was good, we swapped out the gas and it still wouldn't start. It would sputter and die with starting fluid so I knew it had spark, and it fired up just one time and idled for a few minutes. We haven't been able to get it started since.

Turns out only one of the keys is coded to the car, the key with the built in remote fob (that works) isn't, and we've been fighting the immobilizer this whole time, reflexively using the more official/full-featured-looking key for all but one start.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

I usually just use cardboard when i have to work outside, so a rug seems much safer; those are designed to be flame retardant.

My go to is IKEA moving boxes, just split them in half and lay them out, also they're from cardboard a bit thicker than regular boxes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Cardboard is good for sliding around on if you don't have a creeper, or the ground is uneven enough for a creeper to be no good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I use those square foam interlinkable floor mat things. It's really nice to be able to link up half a dozen and just be able to roll around without worry. And they don't seem to burn, I've got a few of them with probably thousands of little weld spatter holes in them, slightly less weld burn holes than my socks :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had a real party of a day today.

82F out and no fan shroud and stuck behind a tractor for a long stretch made it start overheating. After I pulled over I had a massive brain fart and opened the radiator cap one notch before it cooled down, I have NO idea what I was thinking but at least I didn't get any burns.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New race decal showed up today so the boy put it on.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Cardboard is good for sliding around on if you don't have a creeper, or the ground is uneven enough for a creeper to be no good

yea it's great on gravel. I have a 35x50 shop, but sometimes I still do stuff on the gravel driveway. Or I can't be arsed to take a mirror off my truck so it fits through the door, etc. Or I have a whole pile of broken bullshit in the garage and there's now some emergency bullshit broken outside...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Brakes on the Mazda today. Front pads and rotors because I was getting a serious shudder on braking plus a rear caliper as I've had a sticky handbrake for way too long. The arm (middle finger) should be normally pulled counter-clockwise at rest so the top of it rests against the stop (index finger). As you can clearly see, something in there was all hosed up so that wasn't happening. Nice to have a functional handbrake again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

surface corrosion asside, it all still looks in decent shape.

My starter has been cranking slower and slower for a couple months now even though i've got a new one sittin in the box ready to go in, a bunch of other poo poo got in the way. This morning leaving the gas station i heard the tell tale sign of a starter starting it's last.(which i ended up being dead correct on), so i left it running all day. I didn't shut it down until i had it in the garage on the ramps, and the starter is indeed completely dead.

I won 2 more long reach jacks, so i've averaged my cost down to $50 a jack, but they came with a "driveshaft" in the lot. I went in all ready with my grinder to cut it in half and throw it in my truck. Nope, the "driveshaft' was a 12 foot long single stage hydraulic ram which, for starters, why does this even exist? it weighs well in excess of what i'm willing to try lifting.

I got every inch i could to get the truck on the ramps in the garage. and it's about a foot from my workbench with the ram barely clearing the door.

(ignore the mess, massive progress has been made on that, albeit with so much left to go)

I think I'm going to have to take a bunch of dumb projects to the scrap yard again. I've put in some pretty hard days(for me) trying to use the weather to get things done and it's taking it's toll. If i throw out the workbench idea and half rear end the pegboard i might be able to get to car stuff beyond basic maintenance this summer.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 18, 2023

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Got off my rear end and finally installed my Bride Stradia II seats in the GT-R

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Hit the washers and drivers worked, the passenger did nothing. Mmmmm. Looked over the dash to see the passenger side washer had popped its clip and fallen inside the shielding.

Step 1: Remove wiper dust caps and wiper arms
Step 2-8: Deal with three huge pieces of fragile plastic bullshit :argh:

Such a pain in the arse for a simple job that took at least 30 minutes longer than I felt it should have. I may need to do it again, as I don't think the clip that holds the nozzle in is as strong as it should be, but I'm considering painting all that stuff anyway, so it's probably going to come out or be replaced with another piece anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Not me but my dad had a problem with his 1998 Mazda 626 (450,000km on the odometer), the washer fluid tank level sensor (floating device) had fallen out the bottom. So he bought a rubber plug meant for a row boat bottom and put it in the tank. Works but now he no longer has a washer fluid indicator.

Hella car this Mazda. Gets 50 mpg on regular gas.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Not me but my dad had a problem with his 1998 Mazda 626 (450,000km on the odometer), the washer fluid tank level sensor (floating device) had fallen out the bottom. So he bought a rubber plug meant for a row boat bottom and put it in the tank. Works but now he no longer has a washer fluid indicator.

If it's anything like the one in my 97 protege, it's huge anyway. I had to really try to empty mine.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The boy is doing a PCV service today on his lolvo.

With supervision

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks rabbit, I had forgotten to chock the wheels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift, I feel that garage issue. I sold the car that was in the garage, and had space for a car in the garage for like a month - until the stuff took over again. I did use the space to build better shelving, and to be fair the "stuff" is books and such from our "library" that's going to get remodeled at some point, maybe. My wife starts stuff way before we're ready to execute, then scope creeps the project into stagnation... and all the parts I've removed from my RX-7 currently undergoing rehabilitation, also very slowly.
I have *got* to do something. I can't work out in the driveway any more. Climate change has made Texas summers even more deadly, plus I'm old and can't tolerate that poo poo any more, not to mention the 10-degree slope on the driveway. Add in rain and what little cold and snow we get, and it just sucks out there.

I don't think I've ever owned a car with a washer fluid sensor. I've managed to get by.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The boy is doing a PCV service today on his lolvo.

With supervision

Safety sandals, I see.
(to be clear, my slip on boat shoes are barely better...)

edit: also, with respect to the remodel, poo poo like $36K in plumbing has a tendency to stop other spending for a bit.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

I don't think I've ever owned a car with a washer fluid sensor. I've managed to get by.

There is (or was?) a rule in some markets that to have HID headlights you needed a headlight washer system, and when you had one if those you also needed a washer fluid level warning.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

There is (or was?) a rule in some markets that to have HID headlights you needed a headlight washer system, and when you had one if those you also needed a washer fluid level warning.

Automatic or manual leveling as well (in the US). Playing with the headlight level adjuster in my MS3 while stuck in traffic was always good for killing 15-20 seconds.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Picked up a set of OEM staggered wheels for the S2K with DWS06 mounted. Hoping to use them as autocross wheels instead of the 17” on there now.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I bought a thing today.

1964 Chevelle 300 2-door wagon that someone welded up the rear windows on to make a sedan delivery. Remarkably good welding job, though. Also abnormal is the 400 big block and TH400 replacing what was presumably a 283 with a 3-speed manual on the column. Doesn't run (no battery, Quadrajet on the 400 needs work) and the brakes are nonfunctional (but the car rolls) and needs a lot of other cosmetic and mechanical work, but the body and frame are remarkably straight and rust free.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
wow

kinda wish it still had the rear glass, but if the work was done well then it's unique and cool. thats a hell of a bread van

plans? hood looks too nice to cut up in the service of ridiculous blower with scoop taller than the roof, which is what it looks like it needs to me :v:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Noticed a poo poo load of rust on the bottom of the rear passenger door on the Mazda 6, ended up stripping the rust off using angle grinder steel brushes, point sandblaster thingy and citric acid. At least it looked not so bad when the rust was off, no need to weld yet anyway. Now applied epoxy primer as a sealer and waiting for it to cure.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

boxen posted:

I bought a thing today.

1964 Chevelle 300 2-door wagon that someone welded up the rear windows on to make a sedan delivery. Remarkably good welding job, though. Also abnormal is the 400 big block and TH400 replacing what was presumably a 283 with a 3-speed manual on the column. Doesn't run (no battery, Quadrajet on the 400 needs work) and the brakes are nonfunctional (but the car rolls) and needs a lot of other cosmetic and mechanical work, but the body and frame are remarkably straight and rust free.

It needs a banner that says "free 10mm sockets" on the back windows and a 6-71 blower out the hood.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

It needs a banner that says "free 10mm sockets" on the back windows and a 6-71 blower out the hood.

Some large flake paint and hand lettering.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

I bought a thing today.

You bought a good thing, you bought a very very good thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's really cool. Thread please!

H1KE
May 7, 2007

boxen posted:

I bought a thing today.

:popeye: Holy poo poo that is cool.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cross post from the saab thread, bought today

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

H1KE posted:

:popeye: Holy poo poo that is cool.

Wow, thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm pretty excited about it.

I probably won't make a thread, at least not for awhile as progress will be slow while I repair the damage to my bank account.

Short term goals, in rough order of priority:
Get the engine running -
I got a battery yesterday and it turns over fine, I need to put some gas in the carb to see if it will fire, and if that works I need to rebuild the carb as it allegedly has a stuck float. I want to get it moving under its own power, even if I have to strap a gas can under the hood and pull from that (I'm not going to drive it much like that though).

Fix the brakes -
The brake pedal is fully locked up but the wheels turn, so at a minimum the master cylinder is bad. It's a single-pot master, so I'm going to replace that with either one from a later year with separate front and rear circuits, or just get an aftermarket one. Debating rebuilding the drums at all four corners (cheap-ish), or just biting the bullet and getting a disc brake upgrade all the way around because that's what I'd like to do eventually anyway, as well as replacing the brake lines with new.

New electrical -
When I put the battery in and hooked it up (red cable to positive, black to negative) the cables started smoking after a bit, so either this car has been rewired badly, or its one of those oddball negative ground cars I guess? In any case, I don't really trust 60 year old wiring so I'm going to get an aftermarket replacement harness from Painless or somewhere like that. American Autowire has a Chevelle harness that allegedly has significant improvements over stock and extra circuits built in for common aftermarket accessories (A/C, PW, PS, radio, etc) so I will probably just go that direction.

Wheels/Tires -
The tires on it are very old and the rubber is cracking, and it's got 3 different types of rim on it, none of them stock. I will probably buy some 15x7 steelies that will fit the original center caps or wheel covers and then some normal blackwall tires, red lines if I'm feeling fancy.

Drive!
Once all of the above is done, I mostly just want to drive it for awhile. The manual brakes should be fine (after a rebuild), the manual steering is okay but the steering wheel is large enough that I have trouble getting in and out (no tilt column) so I may replace it. I might eventually put power steering it but that's a long time from now.

Concurrently with all of the above I want to de-rust and prime the interior sheetmetal. I think what happened with this car is that the rear windows leaked and let a bunch of rainwater get inside and to soak the interior carpet. Over time this rusted the floorboards and the humidity inside the car rotted the upholstery and created surface rust on most of exposed interior metalwork. At some point after that, someone ripped the interior out (saving the front bench) and welded panels where the windows used to be, and swapped the engine and transmission. So while I'm doing all of the above work (and ideally before I rewire) I'm going to get some wire wheels and some sort of rust-neutralizing primer and gradually prime the interior.

Eventual eventual plans, I'm thinking restomod but I intend to drive it more or less as-is for awhile, just trying to make it less grody. I'm legit excited to buy an "indian blanket" seat cover for the front bench (Is there another name for those? I'm not sure that's a correct or accurate term). If I can source another rear seat (not sure if the rear bench is common with the 4-door wagon or not), I want to take it camping... folding down the rear seat leaves a space easily large enough for an air mattress.

Raluek posted:

wow

kinda wish it still had the rear glass, but if the work was done well then it's unique and cool. thats a hell of a bread van

plans? hood looks too nice to cut up in the service of ridiculous blower with scoop taller than the roof, which is what it looks like it needs to me :v:

The welded-in panels are REMARKABLY well-done... the window channels and all the sheetmetal are still there and visible from inside, so I think if the panels were removed and the glass sourced it could be returned to stock without too much headache. The panels were cut to fit perfectly and there's a tiny stack-of-dimes weld bead (I'm talking maybe 1/8" wide), it looks like it was TIG'd in with a nickel or stainless filler because its still shiny.

Multiple suggestions for a massive blower sticking out the hood... :cmon: ... How about converting to mid-engine with a massive blower sticking out the ROOF? :getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey everybody, I'm an rear end in a top hat!

I used a truck with a known bad starter and shut it off in a car wash to wash some stuff in the back. That's where it RIP for good, which means i got to push the fucker up hill out of the car wash and change the starter in the parking lot.

No middle finger for this oily boi, it put in it's 25 years of service and started 5 times after telling me he was done.

The reviews for the chonky new starter said some guys might have to notch their cross member. I'm the some and the might. It fit but it's touching.

The new starter is a heavy rear end gear reduction thing and sounds like it's cranking a 7.3 liter diesel at 1500rpm.

https://i.imgur.com/9cihTXh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

boxen posted:

Multiple suggestions for a massive blower sticking out the hood... :cmon: ... How about converting to mid-engine with a massive blower sticking out the ROOF? :getin:

BLOBAK and BLOBAK 2 did twin engine setups.

Now you should. :getin: