Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

'Handsome fungus beetles'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

every mother thinks their child is handsome :colbert:

today i rescued a black rat snake from the middle of the road. i had to stop traffic. i had to use a stick to get him uncoiled. once he wasn't quite so snappy i snagged him by the tail and put him in the weeds. then i let all the cars go by and everyone went on their merry way, snake included.

he wasn't a full adult, maybe three feet long! very handsome though. had there not been other drivers involved i'd have taken a picture. i keep having cool encounters without my camera handy!!!

lovely photos lately. i really love seeing us all so active out the in the world and celebrating nature.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Found a turtle and a frog hanging out under my sage bush today

And while I was looking for that picture I found a pic of this lil guy I took last week with my crappy phone camera macro lens

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Friend posted:

And while I was looking for that picture I found a pic of this lil guy I took last week with my crappy phone camera macro lens

that's a PS1 platformer mascot

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

Shiney McShine posted:

Have seen these feeding on my flowers on and off for years and yesterday I got a buzz out of recording one

Bombyllidae the bomber beefly

https://i.imgur.com/56mNLCc.mp4

:ohdear: that buzzin little blue banded critter is not a beefly (Family Bombylidae; Order Diptera) after all. After advice from an entomologist, it is actually a solitary blue banded bee (Family Apidae; Order Hymenoptera). There are true beeflies in my area and some have banded butts (abdomens). Here is an actual beefly (Bombyliid) that I photographed in my garden several years ago

note that it has two wings

and a blue eyed grasshopper to atone for my sins...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Caught this little fella chilling in the open yard waste can at my parents.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
GOBBLE GOBBLE SUCKA it's Turkey Day in June

(birb was grateful for blueberries I quietly tossed out)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It Is Bunny Season

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Porch cat decided he would like to return to the porch, after being a bathroom cat for a few days, after his attempt at diplomacy with a stray cat went poorly. This means all you can eat cat food has returned.

It also wandered over to where the food jug used to sit, just in case.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I get so excited when I see a frog

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Aloha from Maui!

I’m at a resort at the moment but I have two trips planned to more nature-y areas where I hope to get some amateur wildlife shots.

day gecko 🦎

night gecko :wink:

There were also wild chickens wandering around the parking lot at Safeway

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Just some of the frogs and toads I spotted while taking my kid on a walk in the woods yesterday.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i love this thread so much

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some stuff from a walk:
Common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina

Seven spotted ladybug, Coccinella septempunctata

Some kind of metallic sweat bee idk, Halictidae, probably in Augochlorini

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Enfys posted:

Saved this tree frog at a parking lot a couple nights ago. I also saw a toad and a field mouse when I dropped him off.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

check out this eensy gecko friend :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I rescued it from the litterbox. This isn't the first one to need rescue and it won't be the last.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I am attracting friends today. I accidentally got this one wet while watering flowers.

idk what kind of jumper but all jumpers are cute so

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ralph Hurley posted:

check out this eensy gecko friend :3:

It boggles my mind that such small lizards exist.

Ralph Hurley posted:

There were also wild chickens wandering around the parking lot at Safeway

It's every parking lot.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

I rescued it from the litterbox. This isn't the first one to need rescue and it won't be the last.

I get why people are freaked out by house centipedes but they are so cool. Basically miniature housecats.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

a housecat with 15 pairs of legs would have 120 toe beans :vince:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FBS posted:

a housecat with 15 pairs of legs would have 120 toe beans :vince:

and it's my mission to poke them all!!

another jumpboi at breakfast this morning

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

still there

lots of crickets and ants crawling over the vines so he's pretty happy i guess

his back has gotten a lot greener it seems

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Had this visitor crawl up by my door, probably to avoid storm runoff. Amazing pattern resemblance to a water moccasin but he's just a banded water snake (or relative).

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

How did you keep it chill enough to handle?! Did it just stay in slow search mode and crawl into your hand? I picture any sort of guiding triggering their jump/fall/run flee response and at least one party flinging away legs in the process.

The spirit of Critterquest has helped me come to accept and appreciate these beasts, but I can't imagine touching one let alone a rescue carry. Very cool.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Alpenglow posted:

How did you keep it chill enough to handle?! Did it just stay in slow search mode and crawl into your hand? I picture any sort of guiding triggering their jump/fall/run flee response and at least one party flinging away legs in the process.

The spirit of Critterquest has helped me come to accept and appreciate these beasts, but I can't imagine touching one let alone a rescue carry. Very cool.

Yeah I love all critters but I prefer to love centipedes from a distance as they're too unpredictable for my liking. I had one run over my foot while I was on the toilet once and I kept my feet on the bathtub when using it for the next few weeks.

A nifty fly.

A soggy dragonfly.

A blurry pileated woodpecker - looks like they're back to the same next hole as last year! I'll take my good camera next time.

No pictures, but there was a commotion in my yard last night and based on past experience I knew it was an injured magpie being attacked by other magpies. Sure enough, that was the case, and I ended up making a late-evening trip to the local wildlife rehab facility with the poor magpie in tow. Definitely a wing injury and possibly a leg injury as well. I don't think I've gone a year without dropping at least one animal off at the rehab centre since I bought my house.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

it freaked the gently caress out when i first went to scoop it but as soon as it was on my hand it just kinda hung out

second one i've had do that, too. maybe it thinks freezing in place will make it less likely to be eaten. maybe it just likes warm hand. either way, i was able to carry it all the way upstairs for a pic by my spouse before releasing it into a dark corner.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Your spouse is a keeper

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Opened the umbrella we keep by the door today and out popped a big 'old widow spider--not sure what type, real, false etc, sized like a black widow but dark brown. I didn't get to see its belly because it skittered around the back of the umbrella and evaporated, leaving its big egg sac behind.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it has an egg sac it's a mature female, in which case if it was brown rather than black it's probably a false widow I think but idk

maybe take a picture if you see it again

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 20, 2023

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Alpenglow posted:

yeah, house centipedes are high on my list of friends I never want to touch, along with most spiders

e: found an adult dog tick crawling around on my dog last night

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Frog

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

is that odd lighting or did he just eat a firefly

mystes
May 31, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

is that odd lighting or did he just eat a firefly
Probably a firefly?

Someone posted this video of a frog that ate a firefly in the blessed thread:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Found some Automeris io caterpillars in the act of hatching. These guys are covered in venomous spines, and grow up cool. Looking forward to raising these.

Also some Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars. Thinking to plant some pipevine next year. Cool thing about these is that the adults have a whole mimicry complex around them. Bunch of other species want to look like they eat pipevine, and thus are not good to eat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

still there

lots of crickets and ants crawling over the vines so he's pretty happy i guess

his back has gotten a lot greener it seems

i believe now that there are multiple frogs

this vine has so many crickets on it it's crazy

frog heaven to be sure

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Are those crickets or outdoor (as in not the home invadey kind) cockroaches?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
you know i was looking at that asking myself the same question

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, there's lots of non-pest cockroaches and crickets, we have these tiny little tan "wood roaches" in our forest that are about a quarter inch long, they sometimes make their way inside but never set up shop like palmetto bugs and the like do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
speaking of, my sil texted me "omg is this a cockroach??" lol

(click beetle)