Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Brut posted:

Uhhh, maybe a cup of coffee will help you see what thread you're in?

Lmao my bad, thanks. I'm trying to play the new diablo game at all hours of the night as if I wasn't an old fart with two tiny kids who wake up when I do try to sleep. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
"yo , what up coffee lovers ,welcome to the stream, today we are roasting up some single origin columbian, don't forget to ding that bell and subscribe"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

roasting coffee by exposing it to the reactor core?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"How is it?"
"Not great, not terrible."

Edit so this isn't just an empty meme:
I ordered a Prismo attachment for my aeropress this morning, does anyone have any insight on how to get the best results from it?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 6, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not sure about best results, but something that helps me with cleanup is to press it down all the way, then give it one firm pull, which should release most of the grounds from the metal filter. There'll still be a little bit around the edges, and getting the filter itself out of the cap may still be a little finicky, but it speeds things up nicely

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

cptn_dr posted:

"How is it?"
"Not great, not terrible."

Edit so this isn't just an empty meme:
I ordered a Prismo attachment for my aeropress this morning, does anyone have any insight on how to get the best results from it?

I use this app for brewing guides https://aeromatic.app/. My default recipes are the James Hoffman regular cup and espresso.

While it does have Prismo specific methods listed, I use it for every brew. It's nice to have the coffee steep without needing to invert the aeropress or worry about making a vacuum seal to prevent dripping.

I also just tried 404's method: thanks for the game changer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We live in a hell world!

Steam link

I think that logo/game title picture is cribbing BOSS coffee stuff pretty hard!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 7, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The kickstarter for the sculptor grinder turned out to allow non-US people to switch to a 078 if they had backed a 78s (due to kickstarter rules they couldn't provide an already released product to backers), so I will be getting exactly what I wanted. Seems pretty end game for me since I don't wanna make espresso at home. Hopefully it holds up well!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

newest hoffmann video shows some really alarming signs of where the new owners of the aeropress wants to take the company

get ready for even more pointless "innovations" (read: junk) just for the sake of producing and selling more trash in order to show ~growth~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvU-MncnJI

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

they even reduced the number of filters people get with a new one

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
It's me, I'm the idiot who might end up buying a glass/metal aeropress.

Also that video clears up why I thought the aeropress was clear to begin with, I owned one many years ago, when I guess...it was.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've had my Aeropress for over a decade at this point, I think it's probably one of those "Buy It For Life" items that I'll never have to replace.

I did lose the filter cap once.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I picked up the new clear brewer and the new flow control cap (i.e., the Fellow Prismo copy) a few weeks ago.

My current/old Aeropress is a 2012 model, with the grid pattern on the cap. I haven't used any others until now, so I don't know if this is a recent development, but the cap on the clear with the radial pattern is ever so slightly wider—maybe 1mm or 2mm—and it ends up being a tight fit on my mug of choice. That's sort of a niche complaint because I don't expect many people to be using my same East Fork mug, but it's something to note if you have similar clearance issues with your mug. It'll still fit if I jam it on there, but it expands a tiny bit from the heat of brewing, and I have to be careful afterward about how I twist it when I wrench it off, or else the cap will unscrew and stay in the mug and get grounds everywhere as I release.

Not a big deal overall. But I do have a big problem with the flow control cap. It loving sucks. No matter how tightly I attach it to the Aeropress, it leaks while pressing, flowing out over the edges of the mug and getting onto the counter. I suspect I don't have the same problem with the Prismo because the included metal filter has a rubber gasket around the edges (probably to deal with this exact issue), but this is just an incredibly faulty product.

That is, when I use it with the new clear Aeropress. For testing purposes, I also tried the flow control cap on my 2012 Aeropress and it worked fine. So I guess don't get both new products at the same time? Not sure if I got a defective unit, but it's very surprising to me that it would work with an old Aeropress and not a new. And I contacted customer support a few days after getting it, and still haven't heard back.

So, not sure if it's just side effects of being under new management (would Adler have enforced more robust testing/QA, and maintained the quality of customer service?), but it's actually soured me a bit on the company. Probably won't be buying any more new products from them

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The clear Aeropress seems.. fine? I don’t get the sense that many people are gonna plump for the more expensive version. You can still buy the regular and it’s certainly more expensive than before but so is everything else in the world.

The inventor made no innovations in the past 20 years and was hardly the best custodian of a cool new brewing method. I’m psyched as hell for Aeropress XL, assuming it actually works.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

I own a P64 with SSP Multipurpose (unimodal) burrs. They make excellent espresso and filter (once adequately seasoned). The only thing stopping me from recommending them automatically over the other burrs would be: how much do you value texture/body in your espresso? If you prefer thicker shots with more body, then the SSP High-Uniformity burrs would probably be a better pick. The advantage of the Multipurpose burrs is the amount of clarity they provide, but they do so at the cost of texture.

As far as darker roasts go, I'm not sure that a fast-extracting burr like the MP would be ideal for darker roasts. It might tend to easily over-extract them.

Edit: As for the second part of your post. I don't think I'd bother getting an SSP burr set for a Fellow Ode. The new version of the Ode has burrs that are good enough that they're almost as good as the SSP set for filter. Not worth the upgrade cost IMO. If you did end up getting the P64 with the MP burrs, i'd use that for both filter and espresso.

Did you spend the extra :20bux: to get the black anodized color, or just the silver? Any extra opinions about the fit, finish, etc?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Did you spend the extra :20bux: to get the black anodized color, or just the silver? Any extra opinions about the fit, finish, etc?

Yeah, I got the black one. There aren’t any other options you can pick, apart from burr choice.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 14, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I feel like the clear aeropress is really burying the lede on the aeropress XL

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Excited to use my XL with the inverted method hot coffee gun

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ulvir posted:

newest hoffmann video shows some really alarming signs of where the new owners of the aeropress wants to take the company

get ready for even more pointless "innovations" (read: junk) just for the sake of producing and selling more trash in order to show ~growth~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvU-MncnJI

lmao, the clear is just a regular aeropress but with a markup?

also wow i didnt realize that the aeropress was so expensive now

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
In the video, Hoffmann said the Aeropress creator tried to make an XL version but didn't like it due to engineer reasons.

So when it does come out, I'll be curious if there will be some design flaw about having a larger chamber. Or will it show Adler was too particular about the product.

It's also whack they'll include less paper filters with the clear version.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't have any single cup brewing system and normally drink espresso. I've been considering getting a v60 or a chemex or an aeropress or something but haven't pulled the trigger. If you're brewing single cup, what would you prefer? How are the results different? I know you can make a lot more volume with the chemex than either of the more traditional single cup methods.

I'd be getting another grinder for this also, probably the ode fellow or whatever unless something else at that price point can compete.

Thanks!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

The inventor made no innovations in the past 20 years and was hardly the best custodian of a cool new brewing method.

whoever came up with the clever coffee dripper may have done worse lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clark Nova posted:

whoever came up with the clever coffee dripper may have done worse lol

what's wrong with the clever? The design makes it a little less than ideal to clean but there's worse out there, I like mine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I got the black one. There aren’t any other options you can pick, apart from burr choice.

Hmm, looking at the burr choices, again, I'm wondering if the Mizen is a better choice for espresso and pour over. I don't feel like light roasts are always easy to find locally, vs medium roasts. In addition, I was gifted a monthly coffee subscription from a local roaster (Greater Goods) and it seemed like the bulk of coffees they mailed me were dark roasts.

While I think I prefer lighter roasts, if I'm gifted something darker, I at least want to be able to brew good coffee with it.

Option O posted:

1. SSP - Unimodal Espresso (UM) /Multipurpose

These are burrs with unique geometry that we think highlight flavour characteristics that are treasured in modern espresso. In October 2020, SSP has made a slight modification to the original Unimodal Burrs (Option 4 as described below) to make them more forgiving and adaptable for espresso usage. The Unimodal-espresso burrs (sometimes refered to as V2 inofficially in the community) work well both for filter brews and light roast espresso. The burr geometry was originally inspired by Mahlkonig Kenia & Guatemala Lab bulk grinders.

In our experience the SSP unimodal-espresso burrs tend to excel in highlighting flavour clarity and brightness in lighter roast coffees. They can also work for darker roasts but we think their potential is best used for the lighter roasts. If you are someone who don’t mind experimenting and are chasing delicate flavours in high-quality light roasted coffees, we recommend trying EKpresso-style shots (or Turbo shots) with these unimodal burrs. The high (and fast) extraction of SSP Unimodal burrs tend to play well with higher-acid coffee (ie light roasts).

When the unimodal burrs will be a less optimal choice : As the unimodal burrs can be a new experience for many, these behaviours may not be apparent to a new user - i.e. techniques that worked on conventional burrs may not be directly applicable on the unimodal burrs. For example, as the unimodal burrs are already producing extremely fine grind at normal espresso flow rate, it is not neccesary to use additional techniques that encourage finer-grinding, and doing so may be counterproductive. It also benefits from using a lower brew pressure (6-7 bar). If you often do three or more of the following in combination, and would like to keep the way how you currently pull the shots, the unimodal burrs may be less suitable for your application : (i) using very lightly/under- developed roasts, (ii) using low doses in double basket (e.g. <14 g), (iii) using modern baskets with larger total hole area (VST basket, particularly the lower capacity 15g basket), (iv) flow profiling (blooming-espresso or Slayer-style), and/or (v) making shots of low brew ratio (<1:2). The Unimodal Espresso burrs may also produce lesser mouthfeel compared to traditional burrs. Although it may sound like the unimodal burrs has less flexibility in these cases, the reward is that you can get shots that are extremely sweet, balanced and with high flavour clarity out of light roasts not achievable with conventional burrs.

2. Mizen - 64mm Omni

This is the new burrset that we’ve created based on our desire to come up with an all-purpose burr set (hence the name Omni) that excels in both espresso and pour-over grinding (e.g. V60, Kalitta, Chemex etc), with tasty cup profiles in all use cases. By fine-tuning the popular cast burr teeth profile and incorporating our improved Moonshine process, we believe we have created a unique burr set that we’re proud to share.

When used for espresso, the Omni burrs provide enhanced flavour separation and clarity in the cup, showcasing the flavours of the coffee terroir and processing, without sacrificing the body/mouthfeel you would get with traditional flat burrs. The cup characteristics are extremely clean and sweet due to the unique surface finish as a result of Moonshine process. The Omni burrs are suitable for all roast levels, and are especially suited for those who enjoy medium roast level and/or lighter.

When used for coarser grinding (e.g. pour over or immersion brew), the Omni burrs produce high-quality coarse grind with relatively low fines (which can be notorious for clogging up paper filters). The grind size distribution of the Omni burrs is slightly broader than unimodal-style burrs, but is still rather focused when compared to traditional flat burrs – this combination lends itself to achieving brewed coffee with cup characteristics that are complex, juicy, and have satisfying mouthfeel and with little astringency.

These Omni burrs are what we envisioned to be high clarity, all-rounder burrs that deliver a cup profile that can please most users (e.g. as opposed to Unimodal Espresso which can be a polarising experience sometimes).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The inventor made no innovations in the past 20 years

something that already works great don’t need “innovation”.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I don't have any single cup brewing system and normally drink espresso. I've been considering getting a v60 or a chemex or an aeropress or something but haven't pulled the trigger. If you're brewing single cup, what would you prefer? How are the results different? I know you can make a lot more volume with the chemex than either of the more traditional single cup methods.

I'd be getting another grinder for this also, probably the ode fellow or whatever unless something else at that price point can compete.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of a moka pot over most other options recently, as long as you get one in the right size for what you need (probably 2-3 cups for the size for 1 person).

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

For some weird reason, REI got the Aeropress XL before anyone else. I managed to snag one before they sold out. First thing people should know- the filters are bigger than the standard size, and at the moment no one is selling the XL size filters. Including Aeropress. The filters are 2.75 inches in diameter which also means you can't buy a circle punch and punch out your own filters. No one makes that size punch anymore. it might be easier to find one outside of the US if someone makes a 7 cm punch. I would hope that Aeropress is selling the filter by the end of June, because it seems like that's when this thing was supposed to come out. I think REI jumped the gun on selling them.

That said, it brews exactly like a standard Aeropress. The recipes scale up perfectly. I did a 500 ml standard style brew and had a good 50 - 70 ml drip through before I could get the plunger in to create a vacuum. It didn't affect the taste. I also did a 500 ml inverted brew, which was a little scarier than normal but it wasn't a real issue. Knocking it over would suck so bad, but I've never hosed up an inverted Aeropress in the 15 years I've used them so I'll try to keep my streak going.

It comes with a Tritan plastic carafe and a long boy stirrer, which are both pretty essential for the increased size of the thing. The carafe makes the $75 bucks I paid sting a little less, but it's still pretty pricy. The carafe does not come with a lid, either. It's really just included so people don't complain that the XL doesn't work with their mug of choice.

It also looks like a penis pump.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

For some weird reason, REI got the Aeropress XL before anyone else. I managed to snag one before they sold out. First thing people should know- the filters are bigger than the standard size, and at the moment no one is selling the XL size filters. Including Aeropress. The filters are 2.75 inches in diameter which also means you can't buy a circle punch and punch out your own filters. No one makes that size punch anymore. it might be easier to find one outside of the US if someone makes a 7 cm punch. I would hope that Aeropress is selling the filter by the end of June, because it seems like that's when this thing was supposed to come out. I think REI jumped the gun on selling them.

That said, it brews exactly like a standard Aeropress. The recipes scale up perfectly. I did a 500 ml standard style brew and had a good 50 - 70 ml drip through before I could get the plunger in to create a vacuum. It didn't affect the taste. I also did a 500 ml inverted brew, which was a little scarier than normal but it wasn't a real issue. Knocking it over would suck so bad, but I've never hosed up an inverted Aeropress in the 15 years I've used them so I'll try to keep my streak going.

It comes with a Tritan plastic carafe and a long boy stirrer, which are both pretty essential for the increased size of the thing. The carafe makes the $75 bucks I paid sting a little less, but it's still pretty pricy. The carafe does not come with a lid, either. It's really just included so people don't complain that the XL doesn't work with their mug of choice.

It also looks like a penis pump.

Huh! Can you post some pictures of it and it’s various bits?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bishop Beo posted:

Huh! Can you post some pictures of it and it’s various bits?
I included some OG stuff for comparison.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks!

I have used a Bee House ceramic #4 dripper and a Hario glass pitcher to brew a two-cup-at-a-time pourover batch every morning for a long time and it gets the job done very well, surprisingly. The V60 has always been more finnicky in my limited experience just due to how the water flows through the funnel, but is still a good option. I have used Chemex pitchers and honestly the biggest difference I've noticed is how little body the final cup has. Those Chemex filters are very thick and suck most of the oil out of the cup, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but can be a matter of personal preference. I mostly drink lighter roasts, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

I included some OG stuff for comparison.

Lol $75 is absurd for like $15-$20 in manufacturing and material fees.

For filters you could probably do something like this

Fiskars 193800-1001 Paper Circle Cutter with 3 Replacement Blades, Orange https://a.co/d/32aulD5

Edit:
This is 70mm food grade filter paper in a circle

https://scientificfilters.com/whatman/filter-papers-cellulose-filters-qualitative-filter-papers-1001-070

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish they would have been able to keep to the same filter size. Such a waste to have a whole new size.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah but now you need to buy twice as many! Infinite growth baybeee

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You could also buy this fine coffee accessory: Hole Punches, for 2-3/4" Hole Diameter

https://www.mcmaster.com/3427A44

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I wish they would have been able to keep to the same filter size. Such a waste to have a whole new size.

I'm curious what their reasoning is and if it's actually related to the engineering of the product.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Before I actually used it, I thought they should have used the same filters and just made it taller. But after using it, there’s no way that would be feasible.

Pressing down on that tall of a cylinder would have been difficult for anyone under 6 feet tall to get leverage. And if you didn’t press exactly straight down, the carafe would have tipped and shot out in a random direction. There would have been so many spills or even shattered coffee cups.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schrute Nation posted:

I'm curious what their reasoning is and if it's actually related to the engineering of the product.

The XL would have to be about 20% taller if they kept the diameter the same.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Big Taint posted:

You could also buy this fine coffee accessory: Hole Punches, for 2-3/4" Hole Diameter

https://www.mcmaster.com/3427A44

I’d be cheaper to continue buying entire areopress sets to get filters than buying that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
They changed the logo font, lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've only ever lurked this thread but I made the stupid mistake of asking goons in a slack last week about a grinder recommendation since my Cuisinart burr grinder poo poo the bed.

Now I have a Capresso Infinity, Timemore C2, two pounds of green beans, a popcorn popper, have watched about half of James Hoffmann's content, and have been furiously working on my one cup game with the aeropress and moka pot several times daily. I'm dangerously close to getting a digital thermometer.