Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

roomtone posted:

Don't have a drawing today but just a question - when I started drawing recently, I had it in my head that being able to accurately draw a face I see so it looks very much like the person, and also to be able to redraw the same character reliably in any pose, were my main goals - but I am wondering, how advanced are those things considered? Capturing people's actual likenesses seems to be something elusive so far, even if the result looks good on its own. Also, I think I didn't consider how much people probably use references to do these things when redrawing characters.

I wouldn't say capturing likeness is super advanced, but you can fall down a deep deep hole with portraiture if you find it compelling. Faces are something you have to train your brain to quit "helping" while you draw, because it thinks it knows what a face looks like and tries to gently caress with you while you're drawing. Don't draw those lines without looking, use methods to help you place features accurately (like measuring w/ a pencil or something similar), and you'll get there.

Use reference all the time and do not feel bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

WIP

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Scribbled a little self-portrait during a break

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Thanks for the responses to my questions, gave me some stuff to think about.

I drew this last night:

It started off as Mia Goth in Pearl but I wasn't measuring out the face really and ended up redrawing the features later without reference so it doesn't look much like her but I'm pretty pleased with the progress. I think the right eye is a bit off in comparison to the left, couldn't seem to get it right and I just called it, the nose looks okay but could be better and I think the forehead size is a little wrong, so I'll try working on those areas on the next drawing. Any other obvious improvements I could make?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 15, 2023

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

roomtone posted:

Any other obvious improvements I could make?

I downloaded this nifty little app right here, it helps me spot my placement/rendering/etc issues when I have trouble wrapping my head around these type of things:

Give it a shot if you've got a couple bucks to throw around, it was built by a portrait artist.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Since I know most people stick to their bookmarks, I'm going to spam the busier threads with a link to the CC feedback thread

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

roomtone posted:

Thanks for the responses to my questions, gave me some stuff to think about.

I drew this last night:

It started off as Mia Goth in Pearl but I wasn't measuring out the face really and ended up redrawing the features later without reference so it doesn't look much like her but I'm pretty pleased with the progress. I think the right eye is a bit off in comparison to the left, couldn't seem to get it right and I just called it, the nose looks okay but could be better and I think the forehead size is a little wrong, so I'll try working on those areas on the next drawing. Any other obvious improvements I could make?

This is really decent IMO. You're right that the eyes aren't quite aligned and the proportions in general are a little off but this is great overall. The hand is much too small under her face there.

Did you use guide lines to get the orientation of the eyes and features right on the skull? If you did no big - it's easy to drift. I think everything that is quote unquote 'wrong' with this is just a matter of more practise. I can't emphasize enough how decent a shout this is. The expression is great and you've resisted the urge to define edges too sharply.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think you should be pleased with your progress as well! I agree with what HopperUK said.

Some additional feedback:
1. Line quality. You use several small strokes for a lot of the drawing, especially in the arms and dress. Since you also are using lines to denote value, it can make it harder to read what is an edge and what is shading. You could try to draw rather light to start with, to get the forms down, then go over with fewer, more confident lines.
2. Value. Here's your drawing next to the reference I assume you worked from (set to grayscale):

The reference has her mostly in a mid value range, with light coming in on the side of her face/neck/wrist/collar. One approach is to add a base coat of blended graphite to your drawing to represent a mid-value. You can then use darker marks to create shadow, and use your eraser to create highlights. The reason I bring this up is that it can be really useful to think about value as always being present, and then pushing and pulling the shadow and light--versus the idea that shading is something you have to spot-add to an otherwise white canvas.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You can also try drawing on toned paper as a bit of a trick to make your brain notice value more closely.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Thanks to both of you, those are all clear points which I understand. The line quality thing is something I wasn't thinking about at all while drawing, but I have heard people talk about 'chicken scratch' lines negatively and I definitely am doing that and not clearing it up when I do. I draw very lightly at first but then I continue scratching when I'm going heavier so I'll try to stop that.

As for paper, I'm using the cheapest printer paper to draw on right now which I know isn't optimal but I was waiting until I feel more capable and spending money on better paper/sketchbooks.

HopperUK posted:

Did you use guide lines to get the orientation of the eyes and features right on the skull? If you did no big - it's easy to drift.

Kind of, but like I said I erased pretty much the whole face and redrew it later in bed without a guide. I'm still working on feature placement at different angles, probably worth my time going through Loomis's head and hands book soon. Right now I'm just using something I vaguely remember from 'how to draw manga' that I had when I was like 10 years old. I need a more robust understanding for where things should be on a face.

Switching my reference images to greyscale to be more conscious of value is something I'll start doing every time now, thanks.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Made new logo types for my game engine.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2023

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

In search of...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm still on vacation in Hyrule and am going to be taking a trip to Valisthea right after but I managed to eke out some time to paint a thing
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1670350497260396545

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Some random sketching today

lemon eater
Jun 18, 2023

It's been a while sence I have Drew anything starting to get back into it. Have a look at my doomba. I drew it for my fiance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

lemon eater posted:

It's been a while sence I have Drew anything starting to get back into it. Have a look at my doomba. I drew it for my fiance.

:3:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hello, this is a reminder for everyone to please timg your wonderful artwork! I promise people will still expand and look at it, it just makes repeat browsing of the thread a lot easier when there aren't sudden huge images every now and again.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Dog days of summer approaching.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Didn't expect to have another one so soon, but I gotta fill my art quota for the month within the next few days because FF16 awaits. This one's painted directly from Grafit Studio's Pirate Queen reference pack and was only intended to be a one hour warmup, but I liked how it was coming out and extended all the way to 3 hours.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Current vibe.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1995: more redesign work on Weiss

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1996: black & white practise

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From the last 3 days :hai:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

deep dish peat moss posted:

Dream Blunt Rotation

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

deep dish peat moss posted:

good dogs

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

guess what game i just finished

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Taking a break from more involved paintings.

https://twitter.com/jmsaarenpaa/status/1672212559120723968?s=61&t=gskKOqgrHnaE4HmsQqnRiw

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lemon eater
Jun 18, 2023

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
got an ipad, trying to doodle more while my writing brains are uncooperative

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

A couple of pinups I painted this year:

Original characters by Pren and Pepper A Quinn, respectively.

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
I love the skin texture on the pinups and the way you backlit the wings! :buddy:

Did a short character animation. Still got a ways to go on my line shakiness!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Massive props for 2000 drawings, that's an incredible feat.

Obscure fanart time - anyone recognize it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Let's hope I'll make it to 3000.