Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
get an e91

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Elite Taco posted:

get an e91
:emptyquote:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

get an e91

:yeah:

I took an awesome drive down state and got to do some wonderful mountainous driving over Memorial Day weekend and for once didn't have the dogs in tow, fun to actually get to drive the thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elite Taco posted:

get an e91

I probably would if something decent came up. The running cost would probably be better than the 35d too. The X5's look like they'd just crush my type of commute though.

Probably gonna go look at one on Saturday. 2010 so pre LCI but it looks pretty clean, only has 90k miles, and the price is pretty good considering that. I'll have time to go through and address some of the common maintenance items too. One like this is also pretty tempting due to the ton of maintenance and add ons but that's also a solid 2 extra years worth of miles for me.

A 328d, 335d, or 535d would make way more sense but it's not like the extra fuel cost vs any of those is gonna break me. Would just need to get a good gas rewards card!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
What I've heard re: e70 is that you really want to get the 8 speed transmission

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elite Taco posted:

What I've heard re: e70 is that you really want to get the 8 speed transmission

Gotta go to the F15 for that and those are quite a bit more expensive. Both generations have their list of issues too. There is a guy that put the ZF8 in an E70 but I don't think anyone else has.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Gotta go to the F15 for that and those are quite a bit more expensive. Both generations have their list of issues too. There is a guy that put the ZF8 in an E70 but I don't think anyone else has.

Wikipedia at least says the xDrive 35i and 50i got the ZF8, which tracks from my memory because the X5 my parents had was that generation with the 8-speed (I only drove/was around it a few times thanks to living overseas, but they had it for a while after picking it up CPO).

fun fact is even the F20 1-series got that ZF8, which feels extremely over-specced for something that tiny. Drives nice though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Wikipedia at least says the xDrive 35i and 50i got the ZF8, which tracks from my memory because the X5 my parents had was that generation with the 8-speed (I only drove/was around it a few times thanks to living overseas, but they had it for a while after picking it up CPO).

fun fact is even the F20 1-series got that ZF8, which feels extremely over-specced for something that tiny. Drives nice though.

Ah, didn’t realize the gas versions got that before the F chassis. None of the diesels got it before they were all on the F chassis though. But then try all got it and it’s an excellent and stout transmission by all accounts. I’ve seen one with 400k miles on it in a 328d.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Someone say green wagon?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:hellyeah:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This makes me want to go back to an E91. I had a 330d for a few years and I absolutely loved it. I think the only thing that it doesn't have, which I really want, is Android Auto.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't even considered attempting it myself -- I actually like having a Map controllable via an ipod dial -- but:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788909

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This makes me want to go back to an E91. I had a 330d for a few years and I absolutely loved it. I think the only thing that it doesn't have, which I really want, is Android Auto.

Wish we’d gotten an e91 335d here.

Is it crazy that one of the biggest upsides of something like an e70 for me is that smaller debris and animals will be less of a worry? I drive through rural Missouri in the dark and The drive is littered with dead animals, truck tires, etc… I got to see the car in front of me drive into a recliner in the middle of the lane at 70mph last week. Taller vehicle isn’t helping with that but a raccoon or armadillo isn’t taking it out. I was so excited to pull the dash cam footage of that one but it was pointed at the sky from the last time I cleaned my windshield :negative:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm getting the oil pan gasket replaced on my e46 later this month. This morning when i started it up, one of the xenon headlights was out. One of the faults the car had when I bought it was that the adaptive lighting feature was apparently broken but only caused problems when the headlights were kept in auto mode. I remember replacing my xenons was not hard at all, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to see if they can fix that while it's under the knife. No idea how much that job costs though.

I've been neglecting the poo poo out of my 228i lately, so I spend a couple hours with a clay bar on the paint and cleaned and Armor All'd the interior. I'm thinking about getting into kayaking and it looks like mounting/dismounting the rack is pretty easy. Anyone have experience with OMAC racks or should I bite the bullet and spend twice as much on the BMW one?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Test drove a couple x5's today. I could definitely see myself in one but I'm not sure if the negatives outweigh what I can get with a 328d. One of them was already tuned and deleted and it's so weird hearing that noise from an x5.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Test drove a couple x5's today. I could definitely see myself in one but I'm not sure if the negatives outweigh what I can get with a 328d. One of them was already tuned and deleted and it's so weird hearing that noise from an x5.

Drive a Cayenne diesel too. Make sure you press the sport button, they're broken with it off after the dieselgate fix.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Dont you already have the M3? Have you considered buying a Honda Fit for DD duties?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Dont you already have the M3? Have you considered buying a Honda Fit for DD duties?

I do and actually test drove a 2nd gen Fit at one point. It has the same drawbacks as the Prius for a long highway drive while also getting worse mileage. I spend a lot of time driving, someplace nice to be is absolutely a consideration for me. The X5 would crush my commute and I could theoretically tow things with it but it has a lot of negatives that don't necessarily outweigh the upsides. An F10 535d or F15 X5 would both be better but they're realistically more than I want to spend and the N57 has some actual timing chain issues that cost a lot of money to fix. Most people in the BMW diesel facebook group said to go with a 328d and I think they're probably right. I'd probably jump on the right E70 I guess?

e:

328d would meet my possible kayak trailer towing needs just fine too

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 12, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Im on board with F31 plan :getin:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My F31 330d was the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint was I didn't like brushed aluminium trim.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A non-xdrive car is going to be my preference but they're all rare enough that I'll realistically grab the first thing I can that meets my basic requirements. It would be a shame if that ended up being an F31. A shame.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was strongly considering an F31 instead of the E91 just to have something newer / lower mileage, but after driving turbo-4's for my last two cars I didn't want a third one :shrug:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I went newer. Keeping the N55 for the fun car and got a B58 gran coupe, which on the highway does get better mileage. Sporty runs to daycare is about the same 19mpg in either car.

The downside is going to be modding them so they're more similar to each other. Rip my wallet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I finally called my local dealer to setup an appointment to get that PCV recall done. I was also going to see what they recommended for just like a 130k mile maintenance thing. I've never taken any car in my life to a dealer for any sort of "milestone mileage" kinda thing, not sure what to expect if I just go say that to them :shrug:

I found this list on some random bmw forum -

some nerd posted:

1) Suspension refresh (Rear shocks, control arms, sway bars, Front thrust arms ) . Except Struts.
2) Manual Transmission Fluid Change ,
3) Gear Oil,
4) Engine Motor Mounts ,
5) Oil Pan Gasket,
6) Valve Cover Gasket,
7) Coolant,
8) Cooling system flush ,
9) Evacuate and fill AC refrigerant.
10) Power Steering Flush,
11) Differential Fluid
12) New OEM Battery

Seems pretty all encompassing; don't think I'll go quite that extreme but I figured I'd ask about transmission fluid change, cooling system stuff and I suppose power steering as my wheel has been a bit noisy lately. I did already replace the valve cover casket. Anything else you guys can think of I should ask about?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took mine in for the PCV and they went over it and pointed out things that they recommended be performed ($4k worth of oil leaks lol BMW).

They made a video of it and sent it to me after they finished the recall.

I spent the time waiting driving a X3 M40i they had on the lot. What a nice motor.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks like they've got an M2 on the lot, I should see if they'll let me drive that :hmmyes:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I finally called my local dealer to setup an appointment to get that PCV recall done. I was also going to see what they recommended for just like a 130k mile maintenance thing. I've never taken any car in my life to a dealer for any sort of "milestone mileage" kinda thing, not sure what to expect if I just go say that to them :shrug:

I found this list on some random bmw forum -

Seems pretty all encompassing; don't think I'll go quite that extreme but I figured I'd ask about transmission fluid change, cooling system stuff and I suppose power steering as my wheel has been a bit noisy lately. I did already replace the valve cover casket. Anything else you guys can think of I should ask about?

I'm at 135k miles on my e91 and I've done most of that except for the driveline fluids and the suspension. That whole list seems reasonable. I'll probably do an oil change this weekend and get after a couple of the driveline fluids. T-Case and Transmission would be good.

I intend to do a suspension refresh in the fall. No idea what, if anything has been done on that front on the car prior to my ownership. Before I do, I'm looking into replacing the sub frames since my car came from Boston. Adding in sub frames makes me wonder about bushings and poo poo. I tend to get caught up in scope creep, making every job some epic production. I find it helpful to break them down to the smallest discrete task for the inevitable setback/delay during the work.

I should call and schedule the PCV thing, but I haven't been in a rush as I put on a new PCV heater thing in April of 2022 when i did the 3SIM.

Also, I need to find a frickin filter for my BMW performance intake.

BMW stream of consciousness e/n content

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That list is weird. IMO:

1. Suspension refresh, including shocks, struts, any rubber bushing (often integrated with the corresponding control arm these days), any ball joint.

This will restore the car to like new ride quality and be good for another 100k miles. It makes no sense to do all that without the struts. Solid pieces that do not have an integrated bushing or ball joint can be kept.

2, 3, 11 Driveline fluids, yep
10 power steering, yep
7,8 coolant, yep
AND ALSO BRAKE FLUID if you're not already regularly flushing this.

4 motor mounts, inspect, but I'm not sold these need replacement prophylacticly. Won't affect drive feel like #1
5,6 gaskets, ditto. Inspect, but leave them alone if not leaking.
9 ac refrigerant. Lol no
12 battery, no. Replace by age, not miles.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The suspension stuff all seemed kinda odd to jump on preemptively but I wasn't sure. I think at some point during my E9x buying research I did hear that can be a failure point maybe?

Fluids across the board was the only thing I could think of. And I did already take care of the AC actually; thing didn't work for poo poo when I bought it [but didn't discover until recently because winter]

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

The suspension stuff all seemed kinda odd to jump on preemptively

That actually does make some sense. All those dampers and bushings degrade slowly over time. They may not be failed and need replacement, but replacing them all now will definitely tighten up the feel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you're still on original suspension bushings etc at 130k miles / 10+ years it's almost certainly time, especially if it's on a car that is all about driving dynamics

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it were a Kia, probably only replace if near/past failure point

On a BMW putting in all new suspension is going to allow you to reclaim a lot of the perceived value of the car while you still have it, pretty good investment if you're gonna hold on to it for another 2+ years

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm hoping to get another 100k miles out of it. I work from home so I don't put a ton of miles on it, though I do a thousand mile trip a few times a year.

My hope is to buy a house in the next few years with a garage (then ideally buy some sort of roadster to put in the carhole).

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I love my E88, it is a truly joyful vehicle. I love driving it, my dog loves riding in the back and biting the air at 85mph (with her doggles on of course). The M sport exhaust makes glorious noises but unlike some aftermarket fart can it doesn't bother the neighbors.

Every now and then I think about selling it and going down to just one utilitarian vehicle, but then I drive it with the top down on a warm summer evening and I stop thinking such things.

I'm sure eventually the novelty will wear off, hopefully before I get hit with a massive repair bill, but for now I am in love.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I sold my 996 yesterday and am down to my high mileage E46 325xit commuter. I'm still figuring out what to replace the 996 with - option a is to buy a roadster, but another possibility is finding a sedan so I can bring my kid and partner on fun road trips at the same time. I looked for ZHPs but they seem really hard to find these days, so I'm beginning to wonder about E90s. Do they feel as light and balanced as the E46? Was the N52 330 sold here? Is the N55 335 reasonably reliable? My E46 is my first BMW but was well maintained by PO and has been reasonably trouble free. Unsure if the HPFP is still a big problem on the N55s.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The guy that has the X5's I test drove just bought a 328d wagon at auction and is offering it to me at a pretty good price. It looks like a weird as gently caress spec though. Sport line and lighting package and that's it. I'm 99% sure it doesn't have heated seats. He said the dealer that it's at says it does but those buttons look blank on the pics he sent and it's not on the build sheet from the VIN decoder. I can handle the ugly baby screen and lack of rearview camera since I can upgrade and add those myself, but no heated seats? Who the gently caress does that? They're the electric sport seats too, why the gently caress are those even available not heated? Good lord BMW.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

blk posted:

I sold my 996 yesterday and am down to my high mileage E46 325xit commuter. I'm still figuring out what to replace the 996 with - option a is to buy a roadster, but another possibility is finding a sedan so I can bring my kid and partner on fun road trips at the same time. I looked for ZHPs but they seem really hard to find these days, so I'm beginning to wonder about E90s. Do they feel as light and balanced as the E46? Was the N52 330 sold here? Is the N55 335 reasonably reliable? My E46 is my first BMW but was well maintained by PO and has been reasonably trouble free. Unsure if the HPFP is still a big problem on the N55s.

E90 330 with the N52 was 2006 only. You can make an E series 325/328 into a 330 by doing the 3 stage intake swap and tune. It'll bump you close to 260hp. I haven't done it in a while, so my cost estimate won't be much use, Elite Taco did it more recently. Being willing to do it does give you a wider range of car selection though.

Early E series N55s have more of an issue with the rod bearing from what I gather, F series is better and post 2014 is generally recognized as safe unless you're aggressively tracking it. My 2015 F30 N55 had the oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket replaced right before the CPO ended. They did replace an aux radiator under CPO for road damage. If you DIY the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, be absolutely sure to prime it before starting, that seems to be a key in the rod bearing problems. There's generally no issue with the HPFP on the N55 cars that I've heard of. There's the standard 100k "you should replace this poo poo" list, but that's not unusual or uncommon. Do a charge pipe upgrade much sooner, at 100k mine was held on by hopes and dreams.

Depending on how new / expensive you want, the B58 is a hell of a nice engine. I'm really happy with the 440GC, but it is a bit odd when you think about "traditional BMW". It's getting a brake kit swap soon, more engine less brakes is ... not a fun switch from one car to the next, especially when I keep driving them back to back.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The E92 M3 feels almost identical to the E46 M3 when you get them both hustling and up on their toes, and is as near as is possible to 1:1 to the current M2 as far as driving feel and body size and seating position.

I assume 330s and other variants will be similarly comparable but can't say definitively, I think the E46's and E90's shared something like 4 total parts between regular 3 series & M versions.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have nothing but good things to say about my e9x n52 mobile.

With a bit of DIY it's lively and reliable as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I’m with Ether Frenzy. The E90 M3 is the one to get.

If I was wanting a fun sized N52 powered car I would absolutely be hunting down an E82 (128i) with a manual. Assuming your partners kid isn’t huge the back seat is functional. Bonus is if you can find one with the M Sport package.