Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Starfield will have a photo mode, one of the main reasons to visit the desolate planets imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

One thing that I think they implied was that certain random encounters can happen anywhere. I took that to mean if you visit a barren planet that has no content made for it, you still might get, I don't know, a distress call from an outpost being attacked by pirates or whatever.

If you visit enough worlds you'd eventually get to do that quest, but that quest wouldn't be linked to a particular location so it's not like you can tell your friends- 'hey, go to this planet, there are pirates to kill who drop a sweet gun' or whatever.

You might be able to visit a dozen random worlds and have some (rote, simple) stuff to do there, even if there are thousands of worlds with no hand placed content.

I don't anticipate this being terribly immersive or interesting, but it could cut down on the number of worlds that are literally completely empty. Not that I think worlds that are completely empty are worthless to have in the game. It makes "1000 worlds" meaningless as a metric of how much content there is in the game, but knowing that there are effectively endless uninhabited worlds out there and you can interact with them in all the ways you'd expect to be able to interact with a barren rock adds to the open feeling of the game world.

It doesn't sound like they put a lot of effort into most of those worlds, so why not press a button and crank out 975 procedural worlds to make the game world feel less cramped?

It sounds like they'll be up front about which worlds have interesting stuff on them so the huge number will only waste as much of your time as you want to waste with them.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

why do people get mad about other people liking bethesda games

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

There's not a single lie in that stupid video and it's so tiresome to see so many people spit out the same stupid memes constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

The planets are pre generated. The quests get added in as you approach them iirc.

The planets are also different biomes and landscapes too for each player is how I understood it?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you have to understand. VIdeogames have to be like art. gently caress all that poo poo about NPCs actually having schedules that they go on without you. I need good writing (things that I can reference and feel smart about).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I said come in! posted:

The planets are also different biomes and landscapes too for each player is how I understood it?

No, they pregenned that poo poo a while ago, just like every game they did since daggerfall. Its based on a single seed. The quests and things to do on the planet will be random.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

you have to understand. VIdeogames have to be like art. gently caress all that poo poo about NPCs actually having schedules that they go on without you. I need good writing (things that I can reference and feel smart about).

this, unironically

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

No, they pregenned that poo poo a while ago, just like every game they did since daggerfall. Its based on a single seed. The quests and things to do on the planet will be random.

Okay that makes more sense. A random seed would be really cool, but probably way outside the scope of this game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megazver posted:

this, unironically

you should replay outer worlds. After all it is the spiritual sequel to Fallout New Vegas.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do not understand the poo poo Bethesda games get. Like yes they're janky but there really is no other games out there like them and they're fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They set the template for other games, then other games do the a thing bethesda games do better (but have way less moving parts) and epic gamers post the crowbcat video to show how bethesda is hack frauds who never made a good game after morrowind.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Popete posted:

I do not understand the poo poo Bethesda games get. Like yes they're janky but there really is no other games out there like them and they're fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There really are no other games out there like Skyrim, or Fallout. I really like Bethesda's games, and I don't dunk on them, I just want them to do better about polish and optimization. Which is supposedly happening this time with Microsofts involvement.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

bethesda is hack frauds who never made a good game

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Popete posted:

Bethesda games are popular and unpolished. If you want to feel smug it's really easy to make the argument that they're overrated, as that doesn't depend on how much fun they can be, but how "good" they are perceived to be by a nebulous audience. A lot of people like them and there's a lot of issues to point out. It's pretty easy to see how much fun it could be to feel superior by pointing all that out.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yeah they should really learn from obsidian on how to make a good game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

yeah they should really learn from obsidian on how to make a good game.

At least some Obsidian games had some things they excelled at. A couple of them had pretty good writing.

There isn't a single Bethesda developed game that excels at anything, besides maybe there being a lot of it, and even then Ubisoft has been filling that niche since for ever.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

overrated = I don't like this and I think other people like it and that makes me cranky

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i just wanna fly spaceships

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

i just wanna fly spaceships

:hmmyes:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

At least some Obsidian games had some things they excelled at. A couple of them had pretty good writing.

There isn't a single Bethesda developed game that excels at anything, besides maybe there being a lot of it, and even then Ubisoft has been filling that niche since for ever.

wow, this uninteractable world has good writing. Just what i need in my RPG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

wow, this uninteractable world has good writing. Just what i need in my RPG.

You've convinced me. Disco Elysium is the worst RPG.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't all that excited about the ship building before but I didn't realize they were meant to be a mobile base you can walk around in. Seems pretty neat you can make giant weird space ships with crew members.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Obsidian and BGS both make excellent games, idk why their needs to be any comparison. They're very different styles of game.

No one crafts worlds like BGS so even if the writing is so-so and the gameplay kinda whatever people play them forever because a lot of people like being immersed in another world.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
starfields gonna be sick

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

People like to complain about haters, but its possible to be too positive about something too. Getting mad at people who dislike a thing you like can be equally obnoxious. Some people can't distinguish between legitimate criticism and trolling.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Anno posted:

Obsidian and BGS both make excellent games, idk why their needs to be any comparison. They're very different styles of game.

No one crafts worlds like BGS so even if the writing is so-so and the gameplay kinda whatever people play them forever because a lot of people like being immersed in another world.

lol so many people tell me that BGS worlds are specifically lifeless compared to bioware. The comparison comes up because the entire hype cycle for Outer Worlds was built on "obsidian unleashed instead of being brutally shackled by bethesda." Specifically targeting people who watched hbomberguy's fallout 3 video during the epic breadtube wars.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mylan posted:

People like to complain about haters, but its possible to be too positive about something too. Getting mad at people who dislike a thing you like can be equally obnoxious. Some people can't distinguish between legitimate criticism and trolling.

yeah but when someone is doing a flyby on how bethesda are hack frauds whose only well written game was FNV because it was made by obsidian you can assume the latter to be the case.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mylan posted:

That's fair, but Jack Trades has posted 15 times in this thread and 5 of those are just the Crowbcat video. He's a troll.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anno posted:

Okay, I'm gonna dial back the facetious sarcasm here because I'm genuinely curious why people like Bethesda's games, because I honestly don't understand.

Can you elaborate on that?

Because I've played a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 and I can't say that at any point I've personally felt immersed and from my perspective all of those games handled the aspects required for me to feel immersed very poorly.
The characters are always animated really awkwardly. Staring into the camera with the same stiff look.
The voice acting is always Gothic-tier, save for a couple of main story characters that are slightly better directed, but those are also get very little screen time.
The gameplay is always clunky.
The games are always buggy.
And the writing is super generic and flat.

I genuinely don't understand what qualities Bethesda games have that people find immersive.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tankbuster posted:

The comparison comes up because the entire hype cycle for Outer Worlds was built on "obsidian unleashed instead of being brutally shackled by bethesda."

Unfortunately I find this type of game is pretty poorly understood and written about in the broader gaming journalism/criticism/commentary space. Like people out there unironically asking why BGS doesn't change over to UE5 or whatever.

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, I'm gonna dial back the facetious sarcasm here because I'm genuinely curious why people like Bethesda's games, because I honestly don't understand.

Because I've played a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 and I can't say that at any point I've personally felt immersed and from my perspective all of those games handled the aspects required for me to feel immersed very poorly.
The characters are always animated really awkwardly. Staring into the camera with the same stiff look.
The voice acting is always Gothic-tier, save for a couple of main story characters that are slightly better directed, but those are also get very little screen time.

I genuinely don't understand what qualities Bethesda games have that people find immersive.

I don't even really disagree heavily with a lot of that. But - to me at least, but I'm assuming plenty of other people - there's no game that captures the feeling of making it out of the initial tutorial part of Skyrim, running off into the woods and just walking around the world for 100 hours seeing what you can find. I can't explain why their formula works but it does. It's only what, 12 years old now, but I still get incredibly nostalgic wandering around and Wind Guide You starts playing as you just watch deer walk around a glade or whatever.

Anno fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 13, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but when someone is doing a flyby on how bethesda are hack frauds whose only well written game was FNV because it was made by obsidian you can assume the latter to be the case.

Who said that? Are those people in the room with us right now?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Fallout three was better than new Vegas. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Why did you play a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 if you didn't like them?

For me it's the world build and the dynamic nature of all the systems and yes that includes a healthy amount of jank when you do something unexpected. You can have a quest to go kill some ghouls in an abandon super market and along the way come across 5 different side quests or places to explore and it's easy to just get sucked into exploring detailed worlds and finding stuff to loot.

Base building in FO4 wasn't great but I think they are iterating on it better in Starfield so I'm interested in building bases on scenic planets/moons.

Combat is satisfying to create broken/fun builds like stealth archer, battle mage or power armoured mega tank. One shotting a goon from across the map with VATS is fun, Fus Ro Da'ing a wolf off a cliff is fun.

Being able to loot everything or kill random NPCs in the world makes the world feel more permanent and changeable.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I agree with all your points here. However, despite those flaws, I've still put a poo poo ton of time into Bethesda games, because i can mostly look past much of them because they accomplish the goal of giving me the freedom to explore a fictional world in the way that I want. Most other open world games want you to abide by some gameplay gimmick like assassin's creed locking you into being an assassin, or dark souls having the "retrieve your body to get your xp back, one try only" thing. Bethesda games provide a decent base, while allowing modding to change things I don't like.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

getting flashbacks to the Fallout 4 thread a few months before release

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

This game looks overly ambitious, and I'm in a pained blend of anticipation for its release and pained grimace at the prospect of the myriad ways it could fail.

Lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Popete posted:

Why did you play a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 if you didn't like them?

For me it's the world build and the dynamic nature of all the systems and yes that includes a healthy amount of jank when you do something unexpected. You can have a quest to go kill some ghouls in an abandon super market and along the way come across 5 different side quests or places to explore and it's easy to just get sucked into exploring detailed worlds and finding stuff to loot.

Base building in FO4 wasn't great but I think they are iterating on it better in Starfield so I'm interested in building bases on scenic planets/moons.

Combat is satisfying to create broken/fun builds like stealth archer, battle mage or power armoured mega tank. One shotting a goon from across the map with VATS is fun, Fus Ro Da'ing a wolf off a cliff is fun.

Being able to loot everything or kill random NPCs in the world makes the world feel more permanent and changeable.

ah but you see it doesn't feel like a living breathing world because even if you nuke megaton one person survives and turns into a ghoul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
im going to play this on gamepass and have fun toodling around in space until it gets boring, then i'm going to look up how to get to the assassin's guild and do those quests.