Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Javik the Seer posted:

This defense of "I have to actively relay information that should be readily available to my team mates" isn't as strong a defense as you think it is lol.

What is wrong with using snipper riffles?

If you find yourself frequently missing ult announcement audio, you can always turn on subtitles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dogstile posted:

Don't forget that now you can avoid players again, but they somehow made it even worse to do by making you have to navigate more menus to do it.

You can report or avoid someone through the Endorsement menu now by right-clicking their name card. Unless they're a troll that leaves ten seconds before the game ends and an unwitting backfill gets to show up for the defeat screen in their stead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

isndl posted:

You can report or avoid someone through the Endorsement menu now by right-clicking their name card. Unless they're a troll that leaves ten seconds before the game ends and an unwitting backfill gets to show up for the defeat screen in their stead.

Sure, but say i've come across four assholes in a couple days, i want to remove the oldest one, I have to actually navigate over to the submenu to then click on avoided players, whereas before that button was just on the screen that comes up when you press the shortcut.

Its just one button press but it makes me unreasonably mad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dogstile posted:

Overwatch actually has fantastic sound design, its one of the very few things i'll give it. They've had bumps where characters haven't had differing voice lines depending on what team they're on when they ult (because enemy should always have a different voice line) but they even have things where mercy's healing beam changes pitch depending on how close to full health the enemy is.

I'm convinced people do not have their headphones on because like ... you can *hear* a sombra opening up on your backline, and you can *hear* the reaper teleporting into place and you can *hear* cassidy clomping about for a high noon flank and most of them simply do not react

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

in the meantime Riot dropped Valorant which is the direction OW should've gone

This is the dumbest thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

I'm convinced people do not have their headphones on because like ... you can *hear* a sombra opening up on your backline, and you can *hear* the reaper teleporting into place and you can *hear* cassidy clomping about for a high noon flank and most of them simply do not react

"If I cover my eyes then the problem doesn't exist." is the thought process, I imagine.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Pattonesque posted:

People notably play stuff like Apex and OW with podcasts and stuff so no their volume is probably low ,if not off.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Overwatch isn’t a good enough of a shooter to play that hard that you listen to footsteps. I’ll do that in CS and Valorant, but not Overwatch.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

dogstile posted:

It is readily available. The reason i know about the information is because its there. Ranked has people sleepwalking and you have to reinforce it, but that's not a problem with the game not communicating, that's a problem with the player.

Overwatch actually has fantastic sound design, its one of the very few things i'll give it. They've had bumps where characters haven't had differing voice lines depending on what team they're on when they ult (because enemy should always have a different voice line) but they even have things where mercy's healing beam changes pitch depending on how close to full health the enemy is.

Nah I"m saying that if you are dead, you don't get the voiceline sometimes. Like if your'e watching the kill cam something, or if multiple people ult at once, you can miss the widow voiceline. There should be a visual indicator that the can see everyone so that folks know instead of having to be alive or have silence in order to hear it 15 seconds ago.

It isn't that the sound mixing is particularly bad or something, its more that this seems to be a glitch or relatively common circumstance. You can hear the ults of a lot of other characters, even when they are passively going off, but not widows which is just really stupid and unbalancing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The majority of balance issues are things Valve figured out with creating TF2 and even released detailed, public design documents and breakdowns of finding and fixing them while Blizzard keeps stepping on rakes over and over. It’s crazy they’re having such trouble with Widowmaker still in the year 2023

yeah it's this, lol at the idea of OW having some 'internal consistency of design' beyond the extent of them having made some really fuckin weird decisions and then blindly stuck with them regardless of any and all feedback for seven years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veteran players will recall jeff and company making much hay at the start about how no hero limits and hero swapping were both core design tenets of overwatch

they never truly had an overarching plan for what overwatch should be; the gameplay focus has flip-flopped numerous times between "high skill FPS" and "first person MOBA" without ever really settling on a satisfying identity. like, they extensively revamped OW2 to remove almost all crowd control and drive the gameplay more towards aiming skill as the determining factor in fights and have slowly wound it back to S1 overwatch where cowboy man hard counters tracer with a single ability

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah and they've apparently been secretly trying to design the game into an mmo the entire time, too. it's really no wonder that the game has no coherent vision or identity

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't understand why the gently caress they are even trying to make it into an FPS.
There are so many multiplayer FPSes of literally every kind. I'm tripping over a new multiplayer FPS every time I go to take a poo poo.
Meanwhile when it comes to a first person MOBA's there's nothing. Smite is the closest thing.

But on the other hand, this is the AAA industry we're talking about. Their modus operadi is copying whatever the idiot next to them is doing with no rhyme or reason, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Packinham posted:

Overwatch isn’t a good enough of a shooter to play that hard that you listen to footsteps. I’ll do that in CS and Valorant, but not Overwatch.

they're super loud though, it's not like I'm straining to hear

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Good news lifeweaver is still dogshit

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
but his backpack is 10% harder to shoot!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doomykins posted:

but his backpack is 10% harder to shoot!

He's so bad you don't even need to shoot him to make him do nothing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They've changed all the voice communication sounds to be super loud and weird and it's loving annoying

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Good news lifeweaver is still dogshit

Legitimately, he needs a complete rework and I am kind of perplexed that they didn’t just disable him. He is a throw pick at this point.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the buffs sounded pretty significant, is he really still that bad?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They actually nerfed his ult lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao, Overbuff is saying that Wifeleaver is down to 35% winrate right now in Comp.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been in games where LW hard carries with his utility and sheer healing amount (if not timely bursts). I always assumed he would become viable because some people were already good. Haven't played in a while though.

I won't play him because i hate mashing my mouse button like that. So clumsy and tiring.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Maybe it's the time of day, but both the matchmaking and sore winners seemed worse than playing after midnight local today.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

I've been in games where LW hard carries with his utility and sheer healing amount (if not timely bursts). I always assumed he would become viable because some people were already good. Haven't played in a while though.

I won't play him because i hate mashing my mouse button like that. So clumsy and tiring.

He is nearly useless.

The supports that do really well are the ones who seemlessly poo poo out damage and healing at the same time, like Kiri, Ana, Bap, Zen. Moira and Mercy get by on their agro generation, and both tend to do 'breakpoint' style damage that pushes your team over the kill line, Moira through her suck and mercy by beaming.

Lifeweaver has nothing. He doesn't do some insane amount of healing that dwarfs the other supports, he doesn't put out any damage because he can't damage and heal at the same time. He has a bunch of "I just think they're neat" level utility abilities, all of which have extremely high potential to actually harm your team more than help. It's just an all-around failure in design where they tried to put a one-spec WoW Priest into OW.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Pattonesque posted:

Even with headphones, it's difficult to tell exactly where enemies are in this game. It's not an issue in others. And the game will still bug and not play ultimate sounds.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

He is nearly useless.

The supports that do really well are the ones who seemlessly poo poo out damage and healing at the same time, like Kiri, Ana, Bap, Zen. Moira and Mercy get by on their agro generation, and both tend to do 'breakpoint' style damage that pushes your team over the kill line, Moira through her suck and mercy by beaming.

Lifeweaver has nothing. He doesn't do some insane amount of healing that dwarfs the other supports, he doesn't put out any damage because he can't damage and heal at the same time. He has a bunch of "I just think they're neat" level utility abilities, all of which have extremely high potential to actually harm your team more than help. It's just an all-around failure in design where they tried to put a one-spec WoW Priest into OW.

yeah like, his abilities are cool in theory but compare them to Ana (one well-placed nade can massively change the course of a fight, a good sleep is a kill or a cancelled ultimate) or Lucio (speed and healing just by existing, huge escapability, a repositioning tool that can also kill), Bap (enough survivability that you have to kill a good one three times, the ability to weave in damage with heals extremely effectively) and it's like, why bother? what does he offer beyond them?

That doesn't even take into account that while a bad nade or sleep or immortality field can fail to win a fight, Lifeweaver's abilities can lose fights you were going to win

Altared State posted:

Even with headphones, it's difficult to tell exactly where enemies are in this game. It's not an issue in others. And the game will still bug and not play ultimate sounds.

I dunno man I've never found it super difficult to figure out where folks are from sounds. But this game is buggy enough that it's definitely a YMMV situation

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
But what if I told you he's pansexual?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

i'm sure pan is very flattered

urea
Aug 18, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

He is nearly useless.

I think it's really funny that they just transplanted a WoW character into the game, but yeah, it's been clear for a long time that their overall design philosophy is just "Wouldn't it be cool if". They can probably still balance him though just by adjusting the numbers enough.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Been queuing 10+ mins for comp mystery heroes. What is wrong with the world?

Edit: 16 mins, f this I'm going to bed.

Rebus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 13, 2023

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Rebus posted:

Been queuing 10+ mins for comp mystery heroes. What is wrong with the world?

Edit: 16 mins, f this I'm going to bed.

I'm getting in comp mystery hero games in like 1 or 2 minutes tops.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQKg8ZTeWs

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
brig shield bash stuns hims so dunno what the derp is aside from gamers constantly looking for some dumb crap to poo poo on

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Stopping ball drop/rein charge/JQ ult? Hooboy, there's going to be some first class salt being generated.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

tyrelhill posted:

brig shield bash stuns hims so dunno what the derp is aside from gamers constantly looking for some dumb crap to poo poo on

Little different if it's an ult innit bruv

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Good god this is bad for the game

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I would say that those are unintentional interactions but that would mean they changed it without literally any testing at all so I’m not sure that’s much better than this is actually the mechanics they wanted on the grenade. Like both options are horrendously bad

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

urea posted:

They can probably still balance him though just by adjusting the numbers enough.

I mean, maybe but not really

Wifeleaver’s fundamental failing is that he’s the least proactive hero in the game. He has nothing that can help your team win fights, instead he has a couple tools to make it harder for the enemy team to win. His damage output is extremely mediocre and unlike almost every other support, he’s incapable of providing any healing while dealing damage. The other super defensive support, mercy, still has far more offensive utility with her damage boost.

I think his relatively high healing numbers kind of give something away: his healing output is so high because the enemy team is alive for longer when he’s picked, so his numbers have to be higher just to keep up. (There’s also a bug with his ult that makes his scoreboard healing much higher than what he’s actually doing, idk if this has been addressed or not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

lmao, surely stopping already activated abilities on hit and not locking their use when it explodes is not what they intended???