Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

My first skipper as an officer would always have an ensign using a stadimeter to shout out distances between us and our unrep ship until we got close enough for the laser distance readers to work. Those things were nifty, and you could accurately measure distance on the fly with them.

Do they not still do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That's how they do it on carriers, I got to watch it a couple times for CDO underway training. There's a whole little pre-computed gouge sheet with angles and sight lines to gauge how close the supply ship is.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

“Within a mile”
lol

1 part in 25000 is pretty good, I think. My friend said that his folks could get within a half-mile. The accuracy on this sextant is to the half-minute of arc, so that's 1/120 of a degree, roughly a half mile AT BEST. Getting within a power of two of that on my first shot I felt was pretty good. :mad:

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 12, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

Or, hear me out… go reserves Navy IT or IS…. If you hate it you don’t volunteer for poo poo and serve the base minimum. If you love it you go active or just volunteer for mob back to back.

the CPO Select Crab Dad method 100% does not work for kids who need to get out of their home town, or 99.999% of other people who exist as breathing humans

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

1 part in 25000 is pretty good, I think. My friend said that his folks could get within a half-mile. The accuracy on this sextant is to the half-minute of arc, so that's 1/120 of a degree, roughly a half mile AT BEST. Getting within a power of two of that on my first shot I felt was pretty good. :mad:

Yeah, especially considering that you'd only be using it out on the open ocean when there's nothing else near you. If you're within sight of land you can take a fix using terrain features to get a more accurate position when that's actually important.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah a mile is real good, especially with a Bernier sextant that hasn’t been calibrated in god knows how long (I assume you didn’t adjust it before you used it).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

the CPO Select Crab Dad method 100% does not work for kids who need to get out of their home town, or 99.999% of other people who exist as breathing humans

Yeah said kid who was going Coastie did not want to go reserves, as they did not want to go back home. 40 something year old crabdad has different familial priorities than an 18 year old kid who wants to gtfo of rear end end of nowhere.

E: "rear end end of nowhere" is Hampton Roads lol, yeah I can see why they would want to get the gently caress out of there.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 13, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, especially considering that you'd only be using it out on the open ocean when there's nothing else near you. If you're within sight of land you can take a fix using terrain features to get a more accurate position when that's actually important.

I agree Completely with both the sextant and joining the military stuff. There’s certainly no one method for wrecking your life or wrecking your ship. Many viable options.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Whats next, paper charts??

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lightpole posted:

What, you don't have paper charts as backup? :sun:

ECDIS is not magic, you know!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Nah he and Frozenvent have that super snazzy looking CGI interface. The one where the crew wander around, cosplaying Minority Report

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

lightpole posted:

I am on this placemat somewhere....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is it the danger area at the top, or as some might call it, a... zone of sorts?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is it the danger area at the top, or as some might call it, a... zone of sorts?

Miramar has the zone, Oceana is an area. East coast/West coast stuff.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wibla posted:

What, you don't have paper charts as backup? :sun:

ECDIS is not magic, you know!

...no??? I've been all over the bridge looking for gasket material and there's none up there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

In reference to a Sailor stationed in Guam:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

Yeah said kid who was going Coastie did not want to go reserves, as they did not want to go back home. 40 something year old crabdad has different familial priorities than an 18 year old kid who wants to gtfo of rear end end of nowhere.

E: "rear end end of nowhere" is Hampton Roads lol, yeah I can see why they would want to get the gently caress out of there.

Imagine joining the Navy to try to escape Hampton Roads of all places.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Join the Navy, see the next block over.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've honestly met more than one sailor who tried to do exactly that and failed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Join the Navy, see the next block over.

At least you are on the other side of the fence hahahaahhahha sigh.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

You could get sent to Tinker, or you could get a dope rear end base in Germany, Japan, or Korea.

So reminds me of a story.

At OCS we had our H company for holding all the folks who got rolled back a class due to failing an evolution, they used to have a separate medical hold for the folks who got injured, but they'd rolled that into H as well. One of the girls who came into my class had been in med hold/H for almost 30 weeks and was determined to finish OCS and go to SUPPO school. She managed to graduate with us and was able to finally work to be a SUPPO, I remember talking to her and she was super excited to finally get out of Newport. She particularly was excited to go anywhere with the Navy, she said she was happy anywhere as long as she was by the ocean.

About 6 months later I heard she graduated Supply school with flying colors and got assigned to an E-6 squadron in Tinker :(

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I did not know USNA had a draft-style show for grads to pick their ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nvrzluVIeQ

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Navy Times just posted an Interview with Captain Crozier(ret.), formerly of the USS Theodore Roosevelt. His whole situation is what started me on lurking in this thread.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/06/14/brett-crozier-maverick-fired-as-carrier-co-wouldnt-change-a-thing/

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Woodchip posted:

I got selected for nuc subs. The only cheering was as I walked in with another guy as they said "hey, it's the last two guys who got selected!"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Woodchip posted:

i did not either and am very amused that the audio engineers apparently have no room mics available, so it's just the MC excitedly yelling at a seemingly silent room

also some of the officers going to ships based in japan get samurai swords apparently. navy is weebs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

also some of the officers going to ships based in japan get samurai swords apparently. navy is weebs.

This is true, and now I’m mad I didn’t get a fake decorative katana when I chose my first ship. :mad:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
SWOs stationed in Japan also pay homage to Japanese culture by working crushingly long working hours and drinking heavily.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The SWO draft isn't just USNA, it includes NROTC units. So if you have a small unit that's commissioning like 2 SWOs you get to hang out watching the world's worst VTC for three hours waiting for your turn to pick while a thousand dudes you don't know take all the good home ports.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cerekk posted:

The SWO draft isn't just USNA, it includes NROTC units. So if you have a small unit that's commissioning like 2 SWOs you get to hang out watching the world's worst VTC for three hours waiting for your turn to pick while a thousand dudes you don't know take all the good home ports.

In my day it was sitting around waiting for a phone call like you were in the NFL draft. After we picked our ships, we'd ring a bell and announce the name of the vessel. I picked a ship in Hawaii, rang the bell, and yelled "I'm moving to Hawaii!" as I walked out the door.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

okay but are they giant anime swords like the Air Force has?

https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1363926100322181128

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Wingnut Ninja posted:

okay but are they giant anime swords like the Air Force has?

https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1363926100322181128

unless that sword is getting strapped to a rocket motor and shot at someone off the rail off a F-22's internal missile bay idgaf fam about them or their sephiroth fetish

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just had a fantastic idea to help the Navy recruit more nukes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

unless that sword is getting strapped to a rocket motor and shot at someone off the rail off a F-22's internal missile bay idgaf fam about them or their sephiroth fetish

F-22 can't carry Hellfires :(

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

I just had a fantastic idea to help the Navy recruit more nukes.

So the dive team is just gonna turn into the kendo/anime team now?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

shame on an IGA posted:

F-22 can't carry Hellfires :(

AMRAAM goes brrr.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheWeedNumber posted:

So the dive team is just gonna turn into the kendo/anime team now?

It's not already?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow, the skipjack dive team, with all I heard about them I can't wait to see them in competition!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oof, that's a rough chuckle at best.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

maffew buildings posted:

wow, the skipjack dive team, with all I heard about them I can't wait to see them in competition!

:stare:

Oh, wait, that's not a Thresher joke. Still pretty rough tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

A.o.D. posted:

Navy Times just posted an Interview with Captain Crozier(ret.), formerly of the USS Theodore Roosevelt. His whole situation is what started me on lurking in this thread.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/06/14/brett-crozier-maverick-fired-as-carrier-co-wouldnt-change-a-thing/

I think this guy is legit. 🫡

I hope his ghostwriter doesn't suck.