Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Baronjutter posted:

-A few absolute r/relationship style poly disaster couples with every trope we've seen in this thread. Just non-stop public drama between a dysfunctional circle of on again off again idiots that lack the basic maturity to take care of themselves let alone navigate a poly relationship. All weird anime nerds.

-The outspoken "All people are poly and would be happier poly but our repressive society and their emotional immaturity keeps them in the monogamy closet." person who just can't ever stop making GBS threads on happy monogamous couples while they keep bouncing between dramatic poly breakup after breakup which seemed to leave them miserable. It's like "being a superior poly" was the one remaining foundation of their ego to cope with their poo poo life and choices.

The local "scene" is full of these two types and they seem to have an equivalent amount of roommate drama as romantic drama. I watch from a distance the same way I watch the local hippie communes: there might be a way to do it where everyone is mature and aboveboard enough to make it work, but in all my experience, it's always the people who are least suited to it who are its loudest advocates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Biplane posted:

Lol that second one. Did the schizophrenic, unmedicated daughter write it?

The advice is also fairly disconnected from the situation as shared. "Just gently remind your daughter (who hasn't talked to you in 6 years) to take her meds. Maybe say you're sorry or something, I dunno."

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Poly people are whatever, all kinds of people, some functional and some much less so, but the cooptation of LGBT language and adjacent identity by exhibitionist weirdos is beyond the pale. It really is a sexual preference and a lifestyle choice, and sure, often a social hassle that meets with harsh judgments, but it ain't anywhere near comparable to being gay or trans. "Coming out as poly", the gently caress outtahere with that poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bruceski posted:

My only strip club experience was the Acropolis, which was just down the road from the college I went to. The owner also owned a cattle ranch so they had good-quality steak for good prices, and it attracted enough diners that there was optional seating away from the stage if you just wanted a meal. Last I heard that owner died and the new owners were sorting out the liquor license. Then Covid hit. Don't know the current status.

...I actually don't know its quality re: the strippers, all anyone ever talked about was the steak.

Ha, this is the only one I've patronized- I ordered filet mignon and fries and it was honestly pretty drat good.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
can we not start gatekeeping queerness? Gayle Rubin's sex hierarchy puts polyamory & sex with more than one person on the 'bad outer limits' for a reason, because it's not considered 'normal' and is maligned as such. no one's co-opting anything that wasn't already theirs in the first place, trying to shove poly people out of queerness and accuse them of being usurpers because you personally don't like them makes you the rear end in a top hat.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 13, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

Ha, this is the only one I've patronized- I ordered filet mignon and fries and it was honestly pretty drat good.

Sure sure, and you buy Playboy for the articles.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

therattle posted:

Sure sure, and you buy Playboy for the articles.
There was a nice piece in last months' issue about trickle-down economics. Thoroughly recommended.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I met a throuple with no kids and was insanely jealous at their lifestyle. I hope they're still together, spending money on dumb poo poo and happily loving each other.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Das Boo posted:

So, like... a poly relationship is nice when you're ace and just not into that one particular part of being in a relationship. "Only date other ace people" is really loving hard when there are so few to begin with, then you whittle it down to the ones you'd enjoy a relationship with and haha, gently caress, forever alone I guess.

Yeah, I’ve known someone in an open sexual relationship because their partner was ace. They both entered the relationship with an agreement on that dynamic. I’ve also known people who were monogamous, had some fundamental incompatibility, and instead of breaking up tried to open the relationship (and eventually broke up anyway). And have met actual poly people. It’s a land of contrasts!

Oh oh oh, and lemme link this wiki article on partible paternity because it’s interesting and goes against a lot of people’s logic-brain :biotruths: on human nature & paternity.

Basically the scientific facts of procreation are not always self-evident (especially if outside factors are interfering with conception) so some Amazonian tribes believed pregnancy is from cumulative sexual intercourse. Thus one child can have many dads, and these many dads provide for their collective child.

Re strip clubs, there’s a strip club in LA called Jumbo’s Clown Room and I always hoped it would have, like, ladies seductively peeling off their giant red clown shoes. Afaik it does not.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 13, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Lusty Grundles posted:

There was a nice piece in last months' issue about trickle-down economics. Thoroughly recommended.

I don't want to read about trickle down economics. I already know it's bad and even hearing about it makes me upset some people still actively believe it's good.

How do these people still believe? Thay they did believe at one point I fully understand: the basics are easy to grasp and are fairly intuitive. But the theoretical basics for the policies made predictions. And those predictions weren't accurate at all. Even people who believe the world would end at a certain time, while they might just move the date forward instead of fully giving up, won't argue that the world on fact did end. At least not in the same large numbers as people admiring trickle down economics.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 13, 2023

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
poly people are all like caroline ellison

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

I don't want to read about trickle down economics I already knows it's bad and even hearing about it makes me upset some people still actively believe it's good.

How do these people still believe? Thay they did believe at one point I fully understand: the basics are easy to grasp and are fairly intuitive. But the theoretical basics for the policies made predictions. And those predictions weren't accurate at all. Even people who believe the world would end at a certain time, while they might just move the daye forward instead of fully giving up, won't argue that the world on fact did end. At least not inbthe same large numbers as people admiring trickle down economics.
You just have to get as hands-on with it as you can. That's all you can reasonably be expected to do.

I fully appreciate it's a pretty touchy subject though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crocobile posted:

Re strip clubs, there’s a strip club in LA called Jumbo’s Clown Room and I always hoped it would have, like, ladies seductively peeling of their giant red clown shoes. Afaik it does not.
It's an LA institution. The decor and exterior are clown-themed, but not the performers. A young, pre-fame Courtney Love worked the stage there!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If being poly is queer does that make making GBS threads on my dad for getting a concubine a hate crime

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want the opposite. Classy on the outside, clown strippers on the inside.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want the opposite. Classy on the outside, clown strippers on the inside.

How about they arrive fully nude and then seductively apply clown makeup and put on clown clothes?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think you're ever supposed to know what they look like under the makeup but I have little clown experience.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

That's the taboo part.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Never really considered if little clowns are funnier or not.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
*honks a tin horn seductively*

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

poly people are all like caroline ellison

Or noted queer icon Brighman Young

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In the absence of AITA, here is an AAM update

My coworkers’ plants have infested the office with gnats (#3 at the link)

quote:

I have kind of a bizarre update? So, I finally banded my coworkers together to help pin down which plant (or plants) were causing the issue. Good news: it was only 1 that had the problem. Bad news: it was belonged coworker who has been absent for personal reasons.

One of the more plant savvy people offered to take the plant and try to remedy the situation and asked our manager to notify the coworker so they weren’t blindsided by its disappearance. Which, my manager did.

My manager and I are fairly close and she shared (possibly shouldn’t have, I’m not sure, it’s too weird of a situation) that the coworker admitted to knowing it was infested and didn’t want it in their home while they were on leave so they brought it in to the office.

There is already some weird tension in the office with this coworker and things are weirder now. Not sure how it will play out upon their return.
I have a gross thing that will infest everything around it. What should I do? I know! I'll dump it off at the office and make it my coworkers' problem. I can't see any way this could possibly backfire on me.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Crocobile posted:

Yeah, I’ve known someone in an open sexual relationship because their partner was ace. They both entered the relationship with an agreement on that dynamic. I’ve also known people who were monogamous, had some fundamental incompatibility, and instead of breaking up tried to open the relationship (and eventually broke up anyway). And have met actual poly people. It’s a land of contrasts!

Oh oh oh, and lemme link this wiki article on partible paternity because it’s interesting and goes against a lot of people’s logic-brain :biotruths: on human nature & paternity.

Basically the scientific facts of procreation are not always self-evident (especially if outside factors are interfering with conception) so some Amazonian tribes believed pregnancy is from cumulative sexual intercourse. Thus one child can have many dads, and these many dads provide for their collective child.

Re strip clubs, there’s a strip club in LA called Jumbo’s Clown Room and I always hoped it would have, like, ladies seductively peeling off their giant red clown shoes. Afaik it does not.
Wow! I had no idea human relationships could be so varied! I just assumed healthy relationship dynamics were all like in Leave It To Beaver, but the wife could be a gay bottom instead of a woman.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bruceski posted:

My only strip club experience was the Acropolis, which was just down the road from the college I went to. The owner also owned a cattle ranch so they had good-quality steak for good prices, and it attracted enough diners that there was optional seating away from the stage if you just wanted a meal. Last I heard that owner died and the new owners were sorting out the liquor license. Then Covid hit. Don't know the current status.

...I actually don't know its quality re: the strippers, all anyone ever talked about was the steak.

They are open again. Back in the day it was whole rear end steaks for $2, now it is $10 orders of “steak bites.”

In a turn of events so loving on the nose I am surprised it is real, the Cheap Steak strip club had a feud going with the Vegan strip club that opened up literally next door from them. Apparently they had an issue with people parking in their lot and going to the Vegan strip club. So they built a fence and the Vegan strip club owner got really angry about it and were littering in their lot and otherwise being bad neighbors. The owners of the Cheap Steak strip club made accusations that the Vegan strip club had a bunch of health and safety violations and also that they were running prostitution out of their place. The vegan strip club accused the cheap steak strip club of mistreatment of their employees.

Then the strippers at the Vegan strip club unionized and the Vegan strip Club ended up shutting down and becoming a vegan sports bar instead, and the feud ended.

Edit: most of this was played out in the local paper, and the rest of it came from an elderly Romanian woman I know who owns a company that provides and services ATMs inside a lot of the strip clubs in town.

therobit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 14, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh god I desperately need to hear the middle-school musical-theater-kid love rap. I hope all this kid's dreams come true

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh good 'Monogamous' gets added to the loving pile of things I'm dumb and bad and broken for being I guess. Why can't I just be happy with my girlfriend and her with me and the poly people leave us the gently caress alone? She's been badly burned by it before, I have no interest in it, gently caress off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

therobit posted:

the rest of it came from an elderly Romanian woman I know who owns a company that provides and services ATMs inside a lot of the strip clubs in town.

A good friend does bookkeeping and business support like tills and card payment stuff for everyone from the local corner stores to the local onlyfans stars.

He is an oracle for all our small business drama

Currently there is a local photographer doing ex rated shoots in local hotels without the hotel's knowledge...

...or his wife's.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh good 'Monogamous' gets added to the loving pile of things I'm dumb and bad and broken for being I guess. Why can't I just be happy with my girlfriend and her with me and the poly people leave us the gently caress alone? She's been badly burned by it before, I have no interest in it, gently caress off.

No one said anything like this, yeesh. Someone loving two people is not an attack on you loving only one.

As much as I enjoy this thread and have found a lot of valuable niche info on reddit in the past, I would love if it went away for good. That goes for the entire internet, actually.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's still around. When I was in college it was $5 for the cheapo steak, now it's $7. Inflation man, it'll get ya.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for not feeding my husband because he caused me to have an allergic reaction

quote:

He technically didn’t cause an allergic reaction but he pushed me into it. I (26f) am allergic to a plant that lives in the state my husband (29m) and I have moved to. We aren’t sure which plant yet but are narrowing it down kinda. My doctor has told me not to do any yardwork whatsoever because I have an allergic reaction every time. Full body rash and swollen joints for like a week. Wearing gloves and protective clothes has not helped.

My husband knows all of this. Yesterday he mowed, and pressured me into helping him rake up grass and weeds. I didn’t want to and I mentioned that I could have an allergic reaction but he said that he needed help and that I would be fine. Against my better judgement I thought that if I just raked and didn’t physically touch anything I would be fine. I didn’t want to refuse him when he insisted.

Today I have a rash all over and a lot of swelling and I feel like poo poo. I normally meal prep for the next week on Sundays. This morning I half assed threw me some salads in Tupperware for next week and called it a day. I eat a lot of easy stuff that doesn’t require cooking so it’s fine. My husband on the other hand eats like 15 pounds of meat a week as well as vegetables and sides. It usually takes me hours to cook his food and it’s very draining.

I told him he needs to cook his food for the next week, because I’m too tired and my skin feels awful. He got mad and said he’d just eat takeout since he wants to relax on his last day off. So now I have to freeze all the meat so it doesn’t go to waste. He only cooks once or twice a year.

He thinks it’s not fair for me to not feed him since I agreed to rake and it isn’t his fault I had an allergic reaction. Im not trying to punish him but I’m really suffering right now and I just don’t have it in me. I also do think it wasn’t fair for him to pressure me into doing something he knows I medically shouldn’t do.

AITA for not feeding my husband?

Edit: dang you guys really hate my husband haha. He’s actually a pretty decent guy, I think this post just portrayed him in a bad light. He works 80 hours a week to support me while I go to school, and he still manages to do at least half of the cleaning. I talked to him and he said his back was just hurting and he was stressed out from work and he wasn’t thinking. He apologized and brought me dinner while I layed on the couch. I’m not doing his meal prep this week because I really just can’t but we both came to terms with it. He’ll feed his self and I’ll try to manage my skin as best as I can. It looks awful and feels worse. He’s not a lazy guy, he works hard to make things up in other areas, he just hates cooking. Which, to be fair, I hated yardwork even before we moved to this lovely state where I’m allergic to everything.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I remember reading that the Acrop guy passed away a few years ago, glad to hear it hasn’t gone away without him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not wanting to wear a sweater at my friends wedding?

quote:

My (22F) friend (22F) is getting married in a year or two during the summer and I’m her maid of honor. I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and wear a small sensor on my arm to monitor my blood sugar (Dexcom G7). We were talking about the wedding one day and she brought up me wearing a small jacket or cardigan to cover the sensor, not wanting to see it in the pictures. It surprised me because if I stand at a certain angle you can’t even see it. Since the wedding is during the summer and she wants it outside, I know it’s going to be really hot and heat can already effect my blood sugar so I don’t want too, but she’s adamant that I wear one. So AITA for refusing to wear a sweater at my friends wedding?

ETA: I just wanted to add because I see it a lot in the comments asking if I’m able to put it anywhere else. The only other places I’m allowed to put it are my hip, thigh, and butt; and with my work uniform it would be very uncomfortable to put it in any of those places since I would have to deal with it for 10 days. I am looking into patches that would blend in with my skin to cover it and I’ll bring it up to her, like I said I was just diagnosed so I didn’t even know they made those.

Also, my friend and her finance don’t have a lot of money due to family issues, so I know they’re not going to higher some fancy photographer for the pictures. It’s a somewhat casual, but still fancy wedding (I bought my maid of honor dress at a thrift store and she loved it if that makes any sense)

And I’m not ashamed of this, if people see or ask about it, I’m willing to talk about it to help them understand more. I think watching my grandma have it and be the strong women she was really helps with that.

wasn't it a thing in Turning Red when one of the characters had this sensor? nice bit of inclusion there.

i will never understand the MY WEDDING MY WAY IT IS MY DREAM DAY poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bonster posted:

No, as a therapist I'm pretty good at making sense of schizophrenic train-of-thought writing.

This was just unintelligible.

seemed pretty clear to me

6 years ago, they were having a bunch of family members together for a dinner. Their youngest daughter, Emily, overheard her older sister and her cousin talking about her, so she got upset and left. The OP called her, and Emily told her why she had left. When the OP talked to the older sister and the sister's husband about it, the sister's husband said that Emily needed help, because she is an unmedicated schizophrenic(and, though the OP left it unsaid, the conversation she overheard quite possibly never happened), which upset the OP's husband who asked them to leave. Emily now hasn't spoken to any of them in 6 years, and neither has her son, which makes them sad. Also they want to sell their house and apparently Emily's name is on the title so they need her to sign off on it, which they can't get her to do because she won't talk to them(which is probably why this is coming up now after 6 years of no contact).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Batterypowered7 posted:

There was also an Akropolis down the road from the college I went to, but I think it was a Greek restaurant.

I hear there's an Acropolis in Athens, too, but I don't know if they serve food. :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You may be wondering why AITA is back.

It turns out that for at least some subreddits, Reddit demodded the original mods and made the subreddits public again.

Yipes, wrong tweet.
https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1668708305517068288

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may be wondering why AITA is back.

It turns out that for at least some subreddits, Reddit demodded the original mods and made the subreddits public again.

Yipes, wrong tweet.
https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1668708305517068288

Lmao incredible

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My (24M) boyfriend (24M) thinks I don't prioritise his needs because I won't eat eggs

quote:

My boyfriend is really upset because I am unwilling to tolerate eggs. I genuinely dislike eggs to the point where the smell of them makes me feel nauseous. I have reassured my boyfriend that, although I dont want to try eggs because they make me want to vomit, I am open to trying all other types of food. However, he remains upset at me.

He believes that my refusal to try eggs, despite his request, means that I wouldn't do anything for him and means I don't prioritise him and our relationship. While I am willing to do virtually anything for him, I don't understand how my choice not to eat eggs should affect our relationship.

He thinks that my aversion to eggs prevents him from enjoying them as well. I have repeatedly assured him that I have no issue with him eating eggs and have even offered to cook them for him.

He also believes that I'm just giving up and dont want to leave my comfortability zone. While I am open to addressing most issues, I am not willing to repeatedly suppress vomiting to try tolerating eggs. I think the effort required for this isnt worth the potential benefits.

He believes that, because I will no longer try eggs, I am uninterested in trying other foods. However, this is not the case, as I have willingly tried many many new foods with him, even if I initially disliked them.

Can you please tell me how I can make him understand me? Am I not understanding him? Using a throwaway to post this

We have been together for 1.5 years and lived together for 1 year

TL:DR I really dislike eggs to the point they make me literally vomit. I reject my boyfriend asking me to try and tolerate them, and he thinks because of this I'm not prioritising our relationship and his needs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Evil Willow posted:

My (24M) boyfriend (24M) thinks I don't prioritise his needs because I won't eat eggs

Smush Moth eatem eg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

Obviously BF's being a weird rear end in a top hat about it, but man I'd feel weird in a relationship if one of the basic staple foods I love made my partner physically ill to smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Evil Willow posted:

We got a young Guy Fieri over here